The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
How exciting - that's two weeks from tomorrow!! Thanks for telling us ;-)

Old 06-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Serene Highness

I would think Leonor is a bit young to be taking on royal duties.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't think it was that close. So exciting

I hope Letizia doesn't dress the girls alike for the ceremony, Leonor will have a diferent status than her little sister, so she should be dressing diferently, unlike what happens in the Netherlands.

I think like the Netherlands and Belgium, Leonor will still have a normal school life and no official engagements, with the exception of engagements with her parents. But for solo acts, I don't think so, it's way to early, she's not 9 years old yet. Wow she will be the youngest heir in Europe for awile, even if Ingrid Alexandra and Christian became heirs now, Leonor will still be the youngest. Until Estelle gets to be first in line to throne of Sweden, Leonor will be the youngest heir for a very long time (I meant for Monarchies/King/Queen, I'm not referring Monaco right now).
Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I have been told that Infanta Elena is not a member of the Spanish royal family any more. She will have no official duties. I guess Infanta Leonor should start undertaking some official engagements.
HRH Doña Elena de Borbón y Grecia, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo, will have the same position as her aunt, HRH Doña Pilar de Borbón y Borbón, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz, Dowager Viscountess de la Torre and her other aunt HRH Doña Margarita de Borbón y Borbón, Duchess of Soria, Duchess of Hernani.

Of course the new King and his family are the epicentre but the King's sisters, the King's parents, the King's aunts, all are born royal princes (princesses) of the House Borbón and will remain members of the extended royal family and will be treated with all due honours.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think the status means anything to the girls they are sisters. I hope that they are treated the same as always there will be time for the importance of Leonor's title when they are older.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Her position is slightly different than that of her fathers sisters,Infanta Elena and her children are in the line of succession where as both of the Kings sisters renounced their rights and also their childrens upon marriage.

Lets wait for an official announcement regarding the Infanta Elena and her future.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Her position is slightly different than that of her fathers sisters,Infanta Elena and her children are in the line of succession where as both of the Kings sisters renounced their rights and also their childrens upon marriage.

Lets wait for an official announcement regarding the Infanta Elena and her future.
That is right, but in the newspaper El País they have heard off-the-record from La Zarzuela that Doña Elena and Doña Cristina will only so now and then do some official engagements, just like their aunts Doña Pilar and Doña Margarita incidentally had official engagements under the Reign of their brother, King Juan Carlos. The new position of the two Infantas will become comparable with that of their aunts.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
I would think Leonor is a bit young to be taking on royal duties.
According to the newspaper El País, JC's daughters, Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina, will officially cease to be members of the Royal House once their brother is proclaimed the new king and, accordingly, they will no longer take any official royal duties. I wonder though if the organic law will keep Queen Sophia as part of the Royal House, which would be a great help for Letizia until her daughters are older.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
I don't think the status means anything to the girls they are sisters. I hope that they are treated the same as always there will be time for the importance of Leonor's title when they are older.
I was referring to clothes, which I hope they don't dress the girls the same. About status, it should be no diferent for both of them, but their roles are clearly diferent, Leonor is a future Queen and will be first in-line in the succession to the Spanish Throne. Her role cannot be denied and unfortunately, they will be treated diferently, by the press, the population, and god forbid by their parents (not in love, they will be loved the same, but in education and preparation for their future roles, that will be diferent, just like Felipe had diferent upbrinding from his older sisters)
Old 06-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Under current law, the king's sisters are not officially part of the Royal Family, only parents and descendants of the King. Being Infanta Leonor and Sofia so young, they could find a formula for Infanta Elena continue to represent the king in some events.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia will continue to live in Zarzuela Palace, and new king and his family remain in their residence. Zarzuela will be the working office for King Felipe, he will occupy the office his father occupies now, and acts and meetings will be held there. This was said when the house of the Prince was built, and now they have confirmed it.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

I am shocked at this news, I didn't think JC would just quick like this. I am thrilled for F/L, they are the very best that Spain has and will do wonders for the Spanish people. I have hoped for this for sometime now, he has made the last years of his time on the throne a bit of a disgrace.
Best wishes, great joy and long reign the new king and queen of Spain, F/L!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post

I understand from the article that the process has been set on June 18th but the date for the proclamation has yet to be confirmed?
This is what this article says as well
BBC News - Spanish politicians set out abdication timetable

Not sure, has casareal already confirmed 18th june?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Nobility

I'm very sad about the news. I wonder how will Leticia deal with Leonor stepping up as princess of Asturias given that she's so overly protected about their daughters not being in the spotlight.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness

King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates

King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates | Selda Göktaş
Old 06-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

No Duke, June 18 is the proposal of the parliament, but the Royal House has to confirmed it.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
No Duke, June 18 is the proposal of the parliament, but the Royal House has to confirmed it.
thanks lula but sorry to ask again, the royal house has confirmed it or has (yet) to confirm it?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaniaRocks View Post
I'm very sad about the news. I wonder how will Leticia deal with Leonor stepping up as princess of Asturias given that she's so overly protected about their daughters not being in the spotlight.
Princess Letizia as a mother is entitled to be overly protective of her daughters, but, without any pretension to advise HRH (soon to be HM) on how to raise the Infanta Leonor, I believe she would benefit from following the example of CP Victoria of Sweden, who has been taking Princess Estelle to official events starting at a very young age, even though Estelle, unlike Leonor, is still only 2nd in line to the throne.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
According to the newspaper El País, JC's daughters, Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina, will officially cease to be members of the Royal House once their brother is proclaimed the new king and, accordingly, they will no longer take any official royal duties. I wonder though if the organic law will keep Queen Sophia as part of the Royal House, which would be a great help for Letizia until her daughters are older.
That is no difference with the situation of the present King's sisters. They are no members of the Casa Real either, they are members of the royal family.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Under current law, the king's sisters are not officially part of the Royal Family, only parents and descendants of the King. Being Infanta Leonor and Sofia so young, they could find a formula for Infanta Elena continue to represent the king in some events.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia will continue to live in Zarzuela Palace, and new king and his family remain in their residence. Zarzuela will be the working office for King Felipe, he will occupy the office his father occupies now, and acts and meetings will be held there. This was said when the house of the Prince was built, and now they have confirmed it.
Infanta Leonor needs to start undertaking official engagements like Crown Prince Molay Hassan of Morocco, whose agenda has been steadily increasing and knows how to behave attending state visits and galas. The rest can be picked by Queen Sophia and Queen Letizia.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duke, Royal House has NOT confirmed a date.

Infanta Leonor and infanta Sofia have recently attended a military ceremony with their parents, and have shown that they know how to behave perfectly in public. The Belgian and Dutch children were not exposed to large public events before their parents arrived to the throne and behaved very well.

For Infanta Leonor, the priority is the school, and she will attend only important events, like in Belgium or Netherlands.

Tags
abdication, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, king juan carlos abdication