The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Majesty

interesting declarations of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna on the abdication:

The Russian Imperial House of Romanov has expressed regret over the abdication of the throne by King Juan Carlos of Spain in favor of his son, Felipe of Asturias. The head of the House of Romanov, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, lives in Spain.

Quote:
"The Grand Duchess has great respect for King Juan Carlos, for everything he did for his country, and his decision. Maria Vladimirovna certainly believes that Juan Carlos will retain moral influence until the end of his days. She hopes that his son will continue the cause of his father and bring in a fresh stream of development for Spanish monarchic institutions," the House of Romanov's Chancellery Director Aleksandr Zakatov told Interfax on Monday.
"The Russian Imperial House believes that the head of the dynasty, the reigning monarch must perform his duties until the end. A partial handover of duties and powers to the heir is possible," Zakatov said.
"Maria Vladimirovna respects the position of foreign states but believes the paternalistic element of monarchy must not be abandoned. It gives a lot of advantages, primarily, the independence of the state from parties and groups. The possibility of a monarch abdicating the throne is fairly debatable: the father cannot abandon his subjects, even if he is not as strong as he used to be. Such is the Russian tradition," Zakatov said.
Read more: Romanov royal family expresses regret over Spanish king's abdication - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlklhm View Post
Message sent by Grand Duke of Luxembourg on the abdication. Can anyone translate it?

https://www.facebook.com/PlaceRoyale...type=1&theater
I'm not a professional translator, but here is an approximate version in English.

"Majesty,

It is with great emotion that the Grand Duchess and myself have learned of your decison to pass the responsabilities of the Kingdom to your son the Prince Felipe.

As monarch, you have accompanied Spain towards economic and institutional modernity. History will render homage to your 39-year reign.

We remember with joy the bilateral visits and the great affection that you have always manifested to us together with the Queen.

I am sure that the future Sovereigns will accomplish/fulfill their task/job with heart and intelligence. They will base their actions on the solid legacy you bequeath them.

Henri,
Grand Duke of Luxembourg"

Personal note: Both Kig Carl Gustaf's and Grand Duke Henri's notes show how esteemed Juan Carlos was among his royal peers.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

The king of Morocco has spoken on the phone with king Juan Carlos and Felipe
Entrevista telefónica de SM el Rey con el Rey Juan Carlos I y SAR el Príncipe Felipe, Príncipe de Asturias Maroc.ma
Translation
Old 06-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.M.Queen Sofia - 39 years as Consort

Hola

Abdicación del rey Juan Carlos: Doña Sofía, 39 años al servicio de nuestro país
Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

From Marie Chantal's instagram
Constantine on CNN commenting on the abdication
http://37.media.tumblr.com/0b9a1303f...qy1o1_1280.jpg
Old 06-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

An article and clip of King Constantine and his comments to Christiane Amanpour:

Juan Carlos kept Spain ‘from extremism,’ Constantine II says – Amanpour - CNN.com Blogs

He praises his brother-in-law. He defends Cristina, and thinks that the court case is dragging on to harm the monarchy. He also praised prince Felipe and says he has been very well prepared.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Courtier

I was surprised to heard that annouceed that King carlos abdiction Long Live King Felipe and His wife
Old 06-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Where is Felipe at the moment? has he arrived in El Salvador or is he still in Spain?
Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Felipe arrived this morning to Spain, and Queen Sofía has traveled to New York tonight.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Infanta Pilar praises her nephew Felipe

Abdicación del rey Juan Carlos: Doña Sofía, 39 años al servicio de nuestro país
Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
Marie-Chantal will have to curtsy, too! lol
That's the funny part of monarchies!
Victoria too
Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Nobility

I have to say I've never really liked JC, but now I'm sad to see him leave!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Courtier

wow! I was very shocked when I read this this morning. I wonder what was the main reason for him to make such a decision? I wonder if he was just tired of everything and decided it was time, or if he was hoping to boost the image of the monarchy by handing the reins over? Whatever the reason, I'm sure there are a lot of happy people in Spain today. Kinda sad though. Seems to be a trend right now. New generation and all that. but still kinda sad.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post
I have to say I've never really liked JC, but now I'm sad to see him leave!
As one that hasn't followed the Spanish royal family much, I do have to admit that the bits and pieces that I've read over the past few years gave me the impression that the SRF has been plagued with various negative stories. What really caught my eye though was when he was ousted as honorary president of the Spanish branch of the WWF due to his safari. He really should have known better I think.

Looking at recent pictures, he does not seem to be a man that enjoys good heath. To me, he looks almost as old as Britain's Duke of Edinburgh. Whatever reasons for his abdication, I just hope as the Spanish monarch goes forward under King Felipe and Queen Letizia, its a time of growth, prosperity and peace for the Spanish people.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

The reaction of HRH Prince Sixte-Henri of Bourbon is rather tough:

Ante la renuncia del Jefe del Estado « Comunión Tradicionalista
Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post

To me it's more "I'm bitter that my family lost out here."
Old 06-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Courtier

So happy for them! They'll do an amazing job :) They're everything that Spain needs right now
Old 06-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

so surprising i really hope that has nothing to do with the King health.
Prince Felipe i think is well prepared to take over and its about time;the new generation of royal is taking the lead in Europe and it good to see.
i hope that the first visit to King Felipe and Queen Letizia abroad will be to Morocco
good luck to them.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post

Treason is alive and well.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Majesty

Cele|bitchy | King Juan Carlos of Spain announces abdication, Felipe will be king next year

Tags
abdication, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, king juan carlos abdication