The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

from The Wall street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/articles/spani...ays-1401699434

The abdication has even made the staunchly republican Irish news!

RTE News

Spain's King Juan Carlos abdicates - RTÉ News

Old 06-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
we'll see what happens
my bet is that JC will keep his immunity
Absolutely, this has already been guaranteed behind the scenes - JMHO of course.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The infanta Pilar told Hola! that she has known about it for a while but that she didn't say anything about it on her brothers request. She also adds that Felipe has been very well prepared and that the televised speech was an emotional moment for her:

La infanta Pilar: 'Lo sabía, pero cuando se te pide silencio, es silencio'
Old 06-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Majesty

wow! what a start to the week - this is definitely breaking news. i saw this this midday when having lunch as one of my co-workers pointed it out as it was on the TV which broadcasts the news in our office - i couldn't believe what i saw.

it's a shame they haven't released more details on what will happen next. maybe this was something on juan carlos' mind for a long time but maybe the final decision was rushed and they weren't expecting to have all the plan in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
someone told me that as soon as the news spread, protests started throughout Spain asking for a referendum to choose between monarchy and republic. is it true?
yes, this is right, a demonstration will take place today according to the newspaper i read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post

Duke, this explains why Queen Letizia will go to the event of FAO in November.
what does the event of FAO and the abdication have to do? can you tell us more lula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post

JC may have some faults and made some mistakes but IMO everything he did in life (from childhood on) was in the best interest of the Bourbon dynasty.
I don't think he was forced to abdicate but believe that perhaps last year's abdications showed him that "things must change to stay the same" or become even better (like in NL, Belgium, Vatican)..
i forgot that the vatican was also another abdication! it's definitely being the "time for a change". yes, i believe that the fact his counterparts also abdicated combined with the scandals (inaki and cristina's corruption case, the elephant safari, his affaire with corinna...) made him consider this for some time already. i don't think the main reason was the "breath of fresh air" they are portraying in the speech, but obviously they can't tell us the real reasons, which are however known by everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
What about the Prince of Asturias Awards? Will Felipe continue to preside over them? Or will Leonor be the chairwoman? Or will Letizia (or Sofia) act instead of Leonor?
So many questions..
my take is that felipe will continue to preside the act this year, with leonor gaining more protagonism as time goes by, buy continuing to be accompanied either by felipe or letizia until she's an adult, and IMO we will see leonor at the event this year. i think sofia will continue to attend as guest as she has done until up to now.

Quote:
I guess JC & Sofia will become Prince & Princess now? And Elena could give them a hand or two until Leonor reaches a certain age.
i don't think JC and sofia will now be princes again for some reason... look at the other catholic monarchies: belgium has 3 queens and 2 kings, luxembourg has 2 grand dukes... i believe JC + Sofia will continue to be king and queen.

however, i think it's a strong possibility that now elena and cristina will see their ranks decreased - it will be an "easy way out" of the cristina+iñaki situation to get them out of the way of the new king and queen before the judge pronounces his final decision on the case. sneaky, although maybe they decide to wait to hear the decision and then lower cristina and iñaki's ranks appropriately whilst keeping elena in the line, just in case something happened... always useful to have an adult heir! (and, who knows, maybe elena will get the title of princess of asturias until leonor becomes of age!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
And poor CP Mary will have to continue curtsying to QMII, to Maxima and now to Letizia !
why poor mary? someone will always need to be the last one, if it wasn't her, it would be someone else. you make it sound like it was so bad to have to do it... i doubt mary minds and understands this as the kind of behaviour that is expected of her until she herself becomes queen.

what makes me happy now is that hopefully we can expect several introductory visits to other countries when F+L become king and queen, just like WA+Maxima did or Philip+Mathilde.... looking forward, although the spanish isn't such a booming monarchy and with such an economic crisis, they may decide against it....
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post

what makes me happy now is that hopefully we can expect several introductory visits to other countries when F+L become king and queen, just like WA+Maxima did or Philip+Mathilde.... looking forward, although the spanish isn't such a booming monarchy and with such an economic crisis, they may decide against it....
Gosh, I wonder whether Felipe and Letizia will do introductory visits as well? At this rate there will be new kings and queens travelling all over the place!
Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The infanta Pilar told Hola! that she has known about it for a while but that she didn't say anything about it on her brothers request. She also adds that Felipe has been very well prepared and that the televised speech was an emotional moment for her:

The Infanta Pilar will also be a great support to her nephew Felipe and his family.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Carlota, princes Letizia attended two weeks ago a WHO meeting to prepare a high-level meeting on nutrition organized by the FAO in Rome in November. After FAO confirmed in a press release that she was invited along with the Pope and other heads of state and government. Being as it was Letizia's agenda and little international role, attending an international high-level conference was a huge surprise. Now that her role will change and she will be the queen, the presence in this act makes more sense.

Also last month, the Prince had a meeting in Costa Rica to prepare the Iberoamerican Summit in November in Mexico ... when it was supposed who attends the summit is the king.

Small details of agenda that seemed a little strange, but now have their explanation.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
One might assume that Prince Charles is more livid.

The reigning royal houses tend not to give their opinions/reaction on such occasions.

Message sent by Grand Duke of Luxembourg on the abdication. Can anyone translate it?

https://www.facebook.com/PlaceRoyale...type=1&theater
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlklhm View Post
Message sent by Grand Duke of Luxembourg on the abdication. Can anyone translate it?

https://www.facebook.com/PlaceRoyale...type=1&theater
Same announce at the official website of the Grand Ducal House
Message adressé à Sa Majesté le Roi d'Espagne - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Juin 2014
Google translation
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
There's no such title,its Count & Countess of Barcelona,the kings late father held that title and it merged with the crown after his death in 1993.

Anyway, doesn't the part of Spain where Barcelona is situated wish to separate from the rest and gain independence?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Anyway, doesn't the part of Spain where Barcelona is situated wish to separate from the rest and gain independence?
Barcelona is the capital city of the autonomous community of Catalonia in Spain.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

Abdicación don Juan Carlos: Exclusiva en hola.com: Paloma Rocasolano y su hija Telma Ortiz tras conocer que Letizia será Reina muy pronto
Old 06-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Barcelona is the capital city of the autonomous community of Catalonia in Spain.
Yes. And to answer the question regarding the the independence situation there - basically, there have been independence movements there for quite a long time (there is a very strong regional identity in Catalonia, with deep historical roots), and the popularity of these movements seems to rise and fall over the years. They have gained momentum again recently during the economic crisis.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Queen Mum of GB refused to give up her title so without causing a big fuss with her mother, country gave her honorary title of "Queen Mum" but it was never official. Citizens just had to know that she was no longer "top star" . She hated it, but nothing she could do about it.
Not exactly. Upon the death of her husband, George VI, Queen Elizabeth was officially entitled to the style The Dowager Queen, but she was also entitled to the style of The Queen Mother, as she was the mother of the sovereign. Needing a distinct style (so as to differentiate between herself and the new sovereign, Queen Elizabeth II) and not wanting to be known as Dowager Queen Elizabeth, she chose to be known as Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. It was not honorary, it was official; and by all accounts she revelled in being known as The Queen Mum.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

I've read at another royal forum that Felipe has known since late January.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Gosh, I wonder whether Felipe and Letizia will do introductory visits as well? At this rate there will be new kings and queens travelling all over the place!
Time to put those frequent flier miles to good use.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

So we saw in Rome for the last time Queen Sofia Catholic Consort Queen in full Majesty white long lace dress and white lace mantilla . Unforgettable !
Old 06-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

The speech of the King

'A new generation is legitimately demanding a central role in the forging of this future'

King of Spain: 'A new generation is legitimately demanding a central role in the forging of this future' | EL MUNDO
Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Posts regarding the Future of the Spanish Monarchy have been moved to that thread.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Majesty

The news about the abdication of King Juan Carlos is among the main news internationally, also here in DK, where a brief portrait of him illustrated the important role he played in maintaining the young democracy in Spain.

And here is a 21 pic gallery illustrating his life: Kong Juan Carlos' liv i billeder | www.bt.dk

Tags
abdication, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, king juan carlos abdication