The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 07-03-2016, 08:11 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 373
Would like to add that Affiars aren't always sexual - emotional ones can do just as much harm as they are still a betrayal of trust. Also that the old bugbear of the midlife crisis on JCs partwas also a likely culprit, at least at the beginning - later it was just simply immature playboyism encouraged by his cronies, and enabled by a complacent press (he would have not survived 5 min in the UK).
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 07-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,569
If it was a love match, I always had the impression that if so, it was from Sofia's end. Franco wanted an A class royal bride for JC and Queen Frederica was keen to make her daughter a Queen of whatever country. So from that perspective, it was a perfect match. But IMO this is the perspective especially JC stuck to and he expected from Sofia to function and deal with the difficult situation in Spain.
They continued to have children until they got the required boy, Felipe, and IMO it went downhill from there. It always takes 2 to tango, I guess having Irene of Greece and Frederica around until her death, and not to mention the greek family, Constantin etc, probably wasn't easy for JC. Sofia is no victim for me, she is from a generation where a marriage like hers was normal and maybe only people on forums think that she is unhappy. Sofia has a life where she can do what she wants, that is the price that JC had to pay to keep her walking the line.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 07-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lalala, Spain
Posts: 312
Franco wasn't happy with Juan Carlos's choice. He hated that she wasn't catholic didn't care that she was a royal. The Count of Barcelona and Ena would have allowed nothing else than a royal, someone from a reigning family was the cherry on top. He couldn't have married a non-royal and he knew it. Franco didn't know he was even courting Sofia until the announcement and he was very unhappy at being sidelined and ignored.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 07-03-2016, 06:05 PM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Sofia is no victim for me, she is from a generation where a marriage like hers was normal and maybe only people on forums think that she is unhappy. Sofia has a life where she can do what she wants, that is the price that JC had to pay to keep her walking the line.
I think this is the very essence of it. A bystander could probably see it as one thing, but for the ones in the actual marriage, this is what they chose and they're from a time and background where this choice was the norm, and not something to complain about, as long as they treated each other well and had discreet understandings one way or another. I think instead of pitying someone who is probably settled and content in their own way, we can be glad that royal families today allow for proper love marriages, whether the person a royal marries is a commoner, noble or royal. It surely is better in the long run, for the health of the relationship, but also for the happiness of those on top of a societal construct, that love is allowed to be the major factor when choosing a life partner.
__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 07-04-2016, 03:04 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 373
They did try to make the marriage work for a good ten to fifteen years (from 1962 when they wed to the late 1970s) which is the length of an average marriage these days. It was just changed circumstances (the temptations and pressures of being King and queen) and the fact that they both changed as people over that period of time. I'd be very doubtful of stories about arranged marriages and Grand Guignol despair as the breakdown of the marriage strikes me as being pretty mundane at its heart, but no less painful because of it.

Franco was livid when he found out and knew nothing so he can't be blamed for this. Such expectations of what was a suitable partner within Royal circles was common at the time and had no sinister overtones back then. If the stories about Sofia and Harald are correct (and I suspect that there is at least a grain of truth in them) and JCs earlier relationship with MG (and how it ended) are taken into account, than its fair to at least suggest that both rushed into marriage while on the rebound from other people? A case of Marry in haste, repent at leisure?
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:28 PM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
Franco wasn't happy with Juan Carlos's choice. He hated that she wasn't catholic didn't care that she was a royal. The Count of Barcelona and Ena would have allowed nothing else than a royal, someone from a reigning family was the cherry on top. He couldn't have married a non-royal and he knew it. Franco didn't know he was even courting Sofia until the announcement and he was very unhappy at being sidelined and ignored.

Agreed Franco would have preferred somone like queen fabiola of Belgium as a wife for JC.

On a more interesting note - would MG have wanted to marry JC if that had been an option? Probably not - she seemed to like her freedom and was/is cynical on the whole topic of royalty
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 07-06-2016, 12:32 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
If it was a love match, I always had the impression that if so, it was from Sofia's end. Franco wanted an A class royal bride for JC and Queen Frederica was keen to make her daughter a Queen of whatever country. So from that perspective, it was a perfect match. But IMO this is the perspective especially JC stuck to and he expected from Sofia to function and deal with the difficult situation in Spain.
They continued to have children until they got the required boy, Felipe, and IMO it went downhill from there. It always takes 2 to tango, I guess having Irene of Greece and Frederica around until her death, and not to mention the greek family, Constantin etc, probably wasn't easy for JC. Sofia is no victim for me, she is from a generation where a marriage like hers was normal and maybe only people on forums think that she is unhappy. Sofia has a life where she can do what she wants, that is the price that JC had to pay to keep her walking the line.
Frederica only moved to Spain permanently after the marriage began to falter to support Sofia. Constantine and Anne Marie only came to Spain for a few weeks per year as they were busy and travelled a lot and probably spent more time in Denmark During the 1970 with Queen Ingrid. JC's parents has permanently returned to Spain at that time and his sisters had been living there as well so it was not like the man was outnumbered on the relative front. Irene was also busy with her own occupations as well.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 373
Ο πολύτιμος ρόλος της βασίλισσας Σοφίας στο πλευρό του συζύγου της ‹ The Royal Chronicles

A Greek perspective on JC and S's Marriage
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
infidelity, juan carlos i, marriage, queen sofia, sofia (1938 -)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia's Visit to Argentina and Brazil: December 3-5, 2010 lula King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia 11 12-04-2010 06:21 PM
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 4: June - July 2005 Elsa M. Current Events Archive 169 07-29-2005 06:26 PM
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 3: April - June 2005 Elsa M. Current Events Archive 173 06-21-2005 03:31 PM
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 2: February - April 2005 Elsa M. Current Events Archive 162 04-21-2005 10:29 AM
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 1: June 2003 - February 2005 Alexandria Current Events Archive 210 02-01-2005 04:50 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail elisabeth fashion poll free hosting grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction member watch monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess beatrice hats princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats prince sverre magnus queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden swedish royal family summer portraits 2016 the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises