King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia's Marriage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Elsa has stated above -- which I am re-posting below -- our Forum Posting Rules require that information be linked to a credible source rather than be embedded in gossip and specualtion.

Elsa M. said:
I just want to remember everybody that, according to our guidelines, all information submitted to The Royal Forums must be linked to a credible source. Therefore, if you have sources to back up your statements about King Juan Carlos' or any other royal's infidelity, please state them; however, if they are just gossip based on offensive speculation, let's take it with the required pinch of salt and not add to the rumormill.

Elsa M.
(Supermoderator of the Spanish Forums)

I hardly think that a site/blog that puts the King and Queen and their grandchildren in the living room of the cartoon show The Simpsons is a credible source, even if the original picture of the King and Queen was obviously photoshopped.

As such, this discussion should not proceed. Not until a valid source can confirm this story.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

Yes. I agree absolutely, that the site is dirty- first of all conserning the photos with grandchildren :((

Elsa M. said:
Anybody who watches JC and Sofia together can clearly see they have a very strong relationship, an infinite tenderness and admiration for each other. If that is love or not, I don't know, nor do any of us. But in my opinion, if JC has ever cheated Sofia that doesn't mean he didn't ever love her.

Are you sure?? an infinite tenderness??? I think there is an infinite coldness between them and they just respect each other. If you watch Constantino and Anne-Maria you'll see what tenderness is.

Saturn said:
Are you sure?? an infinite tenderness??? I think there is an infinite coldness between them and they just respect each other. If you watch Constantino and Anne-Maria you'll see what tenderness is.
That's what I've observed too. I don't see love at all, just respect. Wasn't Gabriela de Saboya the love of his life?

planetcher said:
That's what I've observed too. I don't see love at all, just respect. Wasn't Gabriela de Saboya the love of his life?

You don't think that they must feel even a little love for each other to raise three wonderfull individuals like their children? where have they learnt what love is? why did they actually marry for love?

I don't believe the Spanish Kings feel a burning kind of love for each other but you have to remember that passion burns out while respect and admiration are the foundations for true everlasting matchs...

Besides, if they didn't love each other why did they face all the problems to get married in the first place? the change of religion, the karma of being Franco's sucession? if that's not love, what is?

Well, maybe he isn't the kind of man who openly shows someone he loves them.

crisiñaki said:
You don't think that they must feel even a little love for each other to raise three wonderfull individuals like their children? where have they learnt what love is? why did they actually marry for love?

I don't believe the Spanish Kings feel a burning kind of love for each other but you have to remember that passion burns out while respect and admiration are the foundations for true everlasting matchs...

Besides, if they didn't love each other why did they face all the problems to get married in the first place? the change of religion, the karma of being Franco's sucession? if that's not love, what is?
Since I happen to be a huge fan of both of these people (as I consider them to be the creme de la creme of royalty today), I'll put in my 2 cents here too.

First of, I completely agree that passion is one of those elements that may not last in a long marriage like theirs, at least not like respect and admiration for example as you say.
As far as anyone can tell from JC and S.'s interaction in front of the media, I'd say there definitely is a genuine admiration for each other. That in itself is in my opinion no mean feat in any long marriage: how many couples who are married for longer than a decade can say they truly admire their spouse's qualities? I think this particular couple, whatever their other problems, genuinely can.

And even if Juan Carlos is a serial philanderer, if he and the ladies he fancies are discreet about it, who cares?! Sure, on a personal level for Sophia JC's 'hobby' could and does, I'm sure, cause her serious grief. And yes, if one of these 'female friends' of the king would come out of the closet and blab to the media, there's not much JC can do at that point. But as far as their 'career' as king and queen of Spain goes, let's face it, this royal couple is one of the most succesful, effective, humble and intelligent and professional royal couples I've ever heard of.

Two side notes:

1. Why is it that Helena's husband is always the butt of mean rumors? Is it because he's not a cookie cutter cute dude like his in-law Inaki? Is it because he happens to like the color pink? THat doesn't necessarily make the man homosexual, folks. Let's give the guy a break. As far as I can see, he's never done anything to deserve these rumors.

2. I think some of you have a point that the marriage between JC and Sophia, while based probably on genuine affection and friendship and shared backgrounds as offspring of blue bloods, also has quite a strategic element to it, if you will. That and perhaps the rumors surrounding the wandering eye of his father, might have made Felipe more determined to marry the "woman he loves", as he himself put it.

Last edited:
He's a 67-year-old man, who happens to be the king of Spain! I wouldn't quite expect Don Juan Carlos to snatch the Queen in front of the press (thank God!!) but anyone who follows this couple in a regular basis has seen numerous samples of tenderness and affection... like these many:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/333368-post34.html

Elsa M. said:
He's a 67-year-old man, who happens to be the king of Spain! I wouldn't quite expect Don Juan Carlos to snatch the Queen in front of the press (thank God!!)

I couldn't agree more.

Elsa M. said:
He's a 67-year-old man, who happens to be the king of Spain! I wouldn't quite expect Don Juan Carlos to snatch the Queen in front of the press (thank God!!) but anyone who follows this couple in a regular basis has seen numerous samples of tenderness and affection... like these many:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/333368-post34.html

I agree completely Elsa.

Firstly, Juan Carlos and Sofia are of a different generation. A generation of adults and of royals who were bred not to openly display their emotions, good or bad. And while the Queen has been photographed crying, I don't think we can expect a very obvious public display of affection between her and the King such as a big public, long smooch.

Secondly, the Spanish royal family is generally more reserved than other royal families. And even though the Queen was born Greek, we can't expect a picture of the King dipping the Queen and planting a big wet one on her!

And finally, some people just aren't into big public displays of affection. Some couples are happier to show their affection for each other in private and behind closed doors. This doesn't mean that they love each other any less than those who frequently make out or hang off of each other in public.

I absolutely agree with you Alexandria!!!:)

I would to speak about the "last love affair " ( this summer one) 's of JC in relation to his private trip in Germany, but I read all this thread and I agree totaly with its content.
First it's gossip, if it's not, it's a very private thing and i'm not to do add something.

Alexandria said:
I agree completely Elsa.

Firstly, Juan Carlos and Sofia are of a different generation. A generation of adults and of royals who were bred not to openly display their emotions, good or bad. And while the Queen has been photographed crying, I don't think we can expect a very obvious public display of affection between her and the King such as a big public, long smooch.

Secondly, the Spanish royal family is generally more reserved than other royal families. And even though the Queen was born Greek, we can't expect a picture of the King dipping the Queen and planting a big wet one on her!

And finally, some people just aren't into big public displays of affection. Some couples are happier to show their affection for each other in private and behind closed doors. This doesn't mean that they love each other any less than those who frequently make out or hang off of each other in public.
Out of topic, but I have to say you have great avatar Alexandria. Beautiful as always.:D

Avatars!!! That's a sore subject with me. I tried to load one of Elizabeth and Darcy but as you can see it didn't work.

Anyhoo........I agree with Alexandria. Did Ena ever publicly show feelings about King Alfonso's cheating? I believe that the present King and Queen represent somewhat of the old in that aspect. But we will never know what's in their hearts.

LaChicaMadrilena said:
Out of topic, but I have to say you have great avatar Alexandria. Beautiful as always.:D

Thank you LaChicaMadrilena! The credit goes to Anna_R though! She's the one who makes all of my avatas! I just giver her pictures that I like!

Juan Carlos' Love Affair

adelaide said:
I would to speak about the "last love affair " ( this summer one) 's of JC in relation to his private trip in Germany, but I read all this thread and I agree totaly with its content.
First it's gossip, if it's not, it's a very private thing and i'm not to do add something.

I would like to say something about Juan Carlos' Love Affair with the German Girl called Julia Steinbusch. I know that say write a lot of gossip in Forums like "Cotilleando" or on the Website "Cronicas Borbonicas" but the story with the King and this girl is really true. I know this because I have studies together with this girl in Madrid in Universidad Antonio de Nebrija. She is the girlfriend of the King since summer 2004 when she has worked at the European Football Championship in Portugal. I am not the only person here in Madrid who knows about the relation. Juan Carlos and Julia have been seen together in Palma de Mallorca, in Madrid and in other places. The King has a Penthouse in Salamanca, a very expensive part of Madrid where also the girl lives. The University knows about the relation and so she had to leave the University.
I think that this relation is something special because normally Juan Carlos has only short affairs. This time it is the same like with Marta Gaya some years ago, they are really in love. So we also can see that the King is very sad the last months. This is not just because of the political situation in Spain but also because of his private life.

If the private life of a Cheef of State, every where, is more stronger than the Political Affairs of the country is little beat worrying, isn't; in particular when the situation of this country is calling for many attention. I ever think that this kind of love's affair will be very private, King or not.But I am not teaching lesson

And for that, I want to add something, may be if it is not relevant psychological observation: Can we imagine that the Prince and the Infantas are choozen a love wedding outside the pattern to be Happy and make happy their wife/husbands ? We know the children don't have to judge their parents but some time it's difficult, King or not. It's the reason why this kind of love's affair will be confidential.

Last edited by a moderator:
This topic is complicated.

I believe that in Spain it is " vox populi " that the King always has had extramarital relations. But how Adelaide says, he is the chief of the State, and one speaks little of his private life, how it happens also with the life of the politicians. He is a King who has played a historic paper role very importantly for the country, which belongs very near to the people, and he is valued and he is respected because of it. And in general these histories remain in rumors that are not publicized.
The King grew up paragraph of his family in a Spain and inside a social class where these situations were the normal thing. In the high classes, the people were marrying the one who had to, the person who was the suitable one ... the important thing they were the appearances. It does not mean that they did not love this person, they could love it but not to be inspired love how to spend the whole life to her side. In this world machist, the men were marrying whom they had to and then they were doing what they wanted ... while hiswives were remaining in house. And certainly the divorce or it was prohibited or was a scandal.
Sadly in Spain especially the most major persons and especially if they belong to a social high class and of money .... they continue thinking this way. It might say, that enclosed, when the Prince announced his commitment, was not strange to listen, between the persons that they think this way, that Felipe might have married the suitable person, and to take Letizia as a lover. Sad, but certain ... there are people who thinks this way.
In these situations always they were and they are the women those who take the worst part to themselves. And surely the Queen has had to pass bad moments with these topics. Nowadays, the Kings are companions ... I believe that this it is the word, each one has his/herlife and his/her interests.
These situations also are in the habit of affecting the children, and one asks himself how they could have lived through this situation. At some time is the well-read one the commentary (not if certain or not) that though the Felipe loves and respects his father, does not take very well this topic. Especially, because he is very joined to his mother, and I imagine that he does not like to know that she passes it badly.
Today in day there are that still they think that the marriages must be between equal. I believe that today in day the life is so complicated, and it changes so much ... that the best thing is about living through it this lover joins to a person of that one really and with that you think that you can share your life. The things can work or not, but at least the persons will have been sincere and not hypocrites. For that reason always I have thought that it is good that the Princes of century XXI have married according to love... the things can leave or or badly, as it happens with all the marriages, but at least have been sincere. Peculiarly, on this subject there are two currents in Spain. It seems that there were many pawned on saying that it was the Queen the one that put disadvantages to the relations of her children. Nevertheless, there are some who say, and if one reflects it has more logic, than he was the King the one that put those problems and that the Queen always had wanted that their children married according to love.

Last edited:
adelaide said:
If the private life of a Cheef of State, every where, is more stronger than the Political Affairs of the country is little beat worrying, isn't; in particular when the situation of this country is calling for many attention. I ever think that this kind of love's affair will be very private, King or not.But I am not teaching lesson

I agree with you, Adelaide, that love affairs are always a private thing, if you are a King or a normal person. But I want to add something:
1. I think it is not fair that Juan Carlos and Sofia always play a happy family. It is not fair against all Spanish people and it is not fair against themselves. For me it is a kind of lying when I go outside with my wife and play a happy couple. I know from somebody who works for the Casa Real that Juan Carlos does not like family events and after it he always escapes to his Penthouse. So if there is a event where he goes I always must ask myself: Is the King really interested in what the people tell him or is his head somewhere else? i think his head and his thinking is always somewhere else, you just have to watch some pictures. For me Juan Carlos and Sofia are just playing roles.
2. An affair is private until it has nothing to do with your working life. In the case of Juan Carlos and Julia I am not sure that it is private anymore. The King is not paying attention to the problems of his country, then he went to Stuttgart on a private visit which pays the Spanish State and he sees his girlfriend there and then Julia went with him to other countries a lot of times. Also the Spanish people paid this.
For me the conflict is that Juan Carlos and Sofia play roles and that there real life is completely different. Do you think that JC really loves Sofia even if he spents most of his time in a Penthouse with another woman?He is always away from his family in his free time.

I believe that on the one hand the King Jefe of State is, and for other one the King presents.
Nobody doubts that the King has exercised a political very important role in Spain.
But really his life has been very complicated, and it has to affect him emotionally, and one asks himself how they are his feelings. We speak about a person that being a child he was isolated from his family and they sent him to study to a country where he was not anybody, in the shade of a dictator who handled his life how a game of chess. Since he was a child until he was A King his life it was a game of politics and power; that led even that his father was stopping speaking. How has it been his life? What does pass for his head? What is his family for him? Personally. I think that he must be a very unstable person from the emotional point of view...

In case of the Queen, for her the arrival of her grandsons has been a happiness, and seems that a new stage in her life, is something that really makes her happy how to any grandmother.

Last edited:
lula said:
I believe that on the one hand the King Jefe of State is, and for other one the King presents.
Nobody doubts that the King has exercised a political very important role in Spain.
But really his life has been very complicated, and it has to affect him emotionally, and one asks himself how they are his feelings. We speak about a person that being a child he was isolated from his family and they sent him to study to a country where he was not anybody, in the shade of a dictator who handled his life how a game of chess. Since he was a child until he was A King his life it was a game of politics and power; that led even that his father was stopping speaking. How has it been his life? What does pass for his head? What is his family for him? Personally. I think that he must be a very unstable person from the emotional point of view...

In case of the Queen, for her the arrival of her grandsons has been a happiness, and seems that a new stage in her life, is something that really makes her happy how to any grandmother.

It is possible that Juan Carlos is searching emotional stabilisation with his girlfriend.Family is maybe not so important to him like a woman who sees him like a normal man and not like a King, a woman who sees his other side and his other qualities, whatever this is.
;)

Madrid2006 said:
It is possible that Juan Carlos is searching emotional stabilisation with his girlfriend.Family is maybe not so important to him like a woman who sees him like a normal man and not like a King, a woman who sees his other side and his other qualities, whatever this is.
;)

He will be neither the first nor last one, whatever has to that age take refuge in a young woman. They are people of a certain generation with a certain education. Perhaps the women in that sense keep better the step of the years, and the changes in the life, are more independent, they are dedicated to make more things or they turn upside down in their family. I believe that in that sense the image of the Queen to gone to better and the one of the King to worse. The Queen has become a happy woman that enjoys his grandsons... perhaps the King also would have to learn to live that, but he belongs to a generation in which of the children the women are in charge. Pain would be one that having the possibility of seeing grow to his granddaughter day to day surely did not live that, because that him would make happy.;)

lula said:
He will be neither the first nor last one, whatever has to that age take refuge in a young woman. They are people of a certain generation with a certain education. Perhaps the women in that sense keep better the step of the years, and the changes in the life, are more independent, they are dedicated to make more things or they turn upside down in their family. I believe that in that sense the image of the Queen to gone to better and the one of the King to worse. The Queen has become a happy woman that enjoys his grandsons... perhaps the King also would have to learn to live that, but he belongs to a generation in which of the children the women are in charge. Pain would be one that having the possibility of seeing grow to his granddaughter day to day surely did not live that, because that him would make happy.;)

I have seen pictures from some events where the King was and also Julia. On this pictures the King always looks happy.Far away from family and all the things he has to do he is a happy man. And Julia also looks very happy. So Juan Carlos has to lives: his job with Sofia and his private life with Julia. And we see: this young woman makes him happy.In what way ever... .:D

With our King Juan Carlos, his side affairs have never really come out in the open to affect his life or the monarchy, at least not in a noticeable way.
Both Juan Carlos and Sofia are monarchs above it all, they are not in the style of Charles and Diana. No matter how many alleged temptations his wandering eye followed, he will always find his way back home to his Queen. Like a stray dog you might say. I compare them to a movie I've been seen this week on DVD, the Lion in Winter. No matter how entangled their lives become, they will always be Sofia and Juan Carlos and there will never be the shadow of divorce or separation ever.
I see Sofia as the stronger person between the two of them, she knows how to control her temper and she seems to know how to control her vivacious husband.

Last edited:
A reminder that as per our Posting Rules & Guidelines, speculations and gossip is not permitted.

All information submitted to The Royal Forums (stories, articles, etc...) must be linked back to a credible source (newspaper, online magazine, royalty magazine, book, photo agency, etc...). Gossip is hearsay and these forums are dedicated to providing credible information to its members. Therefore, we ask our members to have reliable sources for any information which they may provide.

Unless there can be credible and solid evidence, not just "a friend told me" or "someone who works at Casa Real that I know" or a notorious anti-Spanish monarchy forum, then there can't be much further discussion along these lines.

And if there are going to be comments about the King being unhappy about family engagements or neglecting his country or his royal duties, then please provide evidence of that as well.

Alexandria
Spanish Forum Moderator

Alexandria said:
A reminder that as per our Posting Rules & Guidelines, speculations and gossip is not permitted.

Unless there can be credible and solid evidence, not just "a friend told me" or "someone who works at Casa Real that I know" or a notorious anti-Spanish monarchy forum, then there can't be much further discussion along these lines.

And if there are going to be comments about the King being unhappy about family engagements or neglecting his country or his royal duties, then please provide evidence of that as well.

Alexandria
Spanish Forum Moderator

Alexandria, it is a pity that you do not live in Madrid. In Salamanca you can see the King and his girlfriend very often together. Or go to Palma to watch the next Copa del Rey. I think it is evidence enough if the King travelles to Germany for a private trip and his friend, a famous architect, is not allowed to say why the King really comes to Germany. I mean, if he followed a private invitation of his friend and visits also some car "shops", they can say so but the whole visit was a mistery.
I agree with you: Cotilleando is a bad Forum and it was not my intention to break rules or something.There are a lot of bad Forums and they all copy gossip from other Forums and so the gossip goes around. I know this and I know that must of the Stories of Juan Carlos are lies. Only two are true: Marta Gaya and Julia Steinbusch. He was in love with Marta in the early 90s and they have seen a lot of times and I know, and you really can believe this, the story with Julia is really true. She had to leave the University because of her relation with JC. I do not want to add more but I hope that one day somebody will present a photo of JC and Julia togethe.

Madrid2006 said:
Alexandria, it is a pity that you do not live in Madrid. In Salamanca you can see the King and his girlfriend very often together.

I fail to see why I need to actually live in Madrid to see that King is having an affair. With the internet and communications being what it is in 2006, I can access Spanish newspapers from my home here in Canada. In this forum alone I can see articles and pictures from media sources from Spain, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Great Britain, Australia, the Phillippines, etc.

If in credible sources there are published pictures of the King with his girlfriend gallavanting about Madrid then the members here are free to post them.

But so long as its hearsay and word of mouth from "firends" or "I know someone who knows someone who saw the King ..." then its gossip and has no place here.

I know 'it has been said' that the queen considered divorce quite a few times, but is it true?

...sOfIa.... said:
I know 'it has been said' that the queen considered divorce quite a few times, but is it true?

yes, that's true, but it was when she was still a princess. Anyway I feel sorry for Sophia.

Back
Top Bottom