King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia Picture Thread, Part 1 (November 2002 - August 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqueline

Courtier
Photos from: http://newsroom.corbis.com/

Queen Sofia at the Copa del Rey....June 29, 2002.

Queen Sofia with her grandchildren, Felipe Juan Froilan, and Victoria Frederica and their father, Jaime de Marichalar.

Queen Sofia with her grandson, Juan Valentin.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 416
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,090
Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Sophia - May 22nd, 2003

colourpress.com

Madrid, Spain - Queen Sophia of Spain put the first stone in the new High Musical School of Madrid. She was acconpanied by the local authorities as the major Alvarez del Manzano and the promoter Paloma O'Shea

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 579
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 520
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 539

Attachments

• 1983___Sofia.JPG
    1983___Sofia.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 489
1998-05-26 - Sophia during her visit to the Mitera maternity hospital to visit a nursing school

Attachments

• 1998_05_26___Sophia_during_her_visit_to_the_Mitera_maternity_hospital_to_visit_a_nursing_school.JPG
    1998_05_26___Sophia_during_her_visit_to_the_Mitera_maternity_hospital_to_visit_a_nursing_school.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 497
US First Lady Nancy Reagan stands with Queen Sofia of Spain upon the arrival of President and Mrs. Reagan in Madrid. Following his visit to West Germany, where he attended the seven most industrialized nations meeting, President Ronald Reagan paid a 36-hour official visit to Spain accompanied by Mrs Reagan. King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia welcomed the US president and his wife at the Madrid-Barajas airport.

Attachments

• SP_sofia_404.jpg
    SP_sofia_404.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 488
www.corbis.com - King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia during the state banquet at the Quirinal Palace.

I love this dress on Queen Sofia. I don't know what is about this dress because it is usually too fancy and frou-frouy for my taste personally, but I adore the look of it.

Attachments

• SP_juan_carlos_sofia_406.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_sofia_406.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 660
QUEEN SOFIA OF SPAIN ON VISIT TO GREECE.

The Queen visits the family estate where she grew up in Psyhiko in the suburb of Athens.

Attachments

• SP_sofia_408.jpg
    SP_sofia_408.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 483
www.corbis.com - LONDON WEDDING OF PRINCESS ALEXIA OF GREECE.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, uncle and aunt of the bride.

Attachments

• alexia_wedding.jpg
    alexia_wedding.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 573
www.corbis.com - GREECE: OFFICIAL VISIT BY SPANISH KING AND QUEEN

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia visit the site of Olympia.

Attachments

• SP_juan_carlos_sofia_468v.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_sofia_468v.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 583
Old pictures - Juan Carlos and Sofia

www.corbis.com - Spain's King Juan Carlos (born 1938), in his uniform, ascended the throne in 1975 after the death of Francisco Franco.

www.corbis.com - Original caption: KIEL, GERMANY: He's no common sailor. It's Spain's Prince Juan Carlos, who's dressed for action in the Dragon Class event during recent yacht races at Kiel.

www.corbis.com - Original caption: Candid closeup of Prince Juan Carlos of Spain. Photograph, ca. 1960s.

www.corbis.com - Original caption: Madrid, Spain: King Juan Carlos speaking as he opens the Spanish Parliament.

www.corbis.com - Don Juan Carlos.

www.corbis.com - President Nixon stands with visiting Prince Juan Carlos of Spain during White House ceremony.

www.corbis.com - Washington: Prince Juan Carlos of Spain, shown during white House reception (exterior).

www.corbis.com - Sixteen year old Prince Juan Carlos of Bourbon, is said by informed monarchist sources to be seriously considered by General Franco as his eventual successor. In letters to the Prince's father, Don Juan, Franco is said to have suggested that Juan Carlos continue his higher education in Spain so that he might be prepared for an eventual "return of the monarchy." The young son of the Spanish pretender is shown here at a recent reception at Villa Giralda in Estoril, Portugal.

www.casareal.es

www.casareal.es

Attachments

• SP_juan_carlos_499.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_499.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 513
  • SP_juan_carlos_498.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_498.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 456
  • SP_juan_carlos_498a.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_498a.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 390
  • SP_juan_carlos_sofia_499.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_sofia_499.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,118
  • HU042828.jpg
    HU042828.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 355
  • SP_juan_carlos_497.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_497.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 445
  • SP_juan_carlos_497a.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_497a.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 394
  • SP_juan_carlos_496.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_496.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 401
  • SP_sofia_497.jpg
    SP_sofia_497.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 455
  • SP_juan_carlos_494t.jpg
    SP_juan_carlos_494t.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 398
Prince Michael of Greece,Princess Irene of Greece,Princes Sophia of Greece and her Fiancee Prince Juan Carlos of Spain...

Attachments

• 50777407michel_de_grecetribune_roi.jpg
    50777407michel_de_grecetribune_roi.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 728
The caption says 2004, but I think I've seen these pictures from a visit several years back in Hola. Perhaps someone could correct me or the Getty captions (as they've been known to be wrong before) about when this trip took place. Thanks.

(Getty Images) COMILLA, BANGLADESH: Queen Sofia of Spain listens stories of Bangladeshi village women during a visit to a microcredit project site in the village of Taposkoni in Comilla district, some 80 kilometers northwest of Dhaka, 15 February 2004. Sofia arrived in Bangladesh for a four-day visit to attend the Asia Pacific Regional Summit on Microcredit, where about 1300 delegates from 44 countries including a number of dignitaries will take part, starting on 16 February 2004 in Dhaka. AFP PHOTO/Farjana K. GODHULY

Queen Sofia

Traditional fan for the Queen

Chair making

Examining fishing nets

Traditional cakes, 1

Traditional cakes, 2

Originally posted by sky@Feb 15th, 2004 - 12:42 pm
Was the queen born as Sofie or sophia?
I believe she was born Sophie, but her name was slightly altered in pronunciation and in spelling, so that it would be be (for a lack of a better word) "Spanish-ized," hence Sofia.

I read that Queen Anne Marie of Greece is referred to sometimes as Anne Maria of Greece, for the same reasons, a "Greek-ization" of her name.

Originally posted by Alexandria+Feb 15th, 2004 - 1:32 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Feb 15th, 2004 - 1:32 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sky@Feb 15th, 2004 - 12:42 pm
I believe she was born Sophie, but her name was slightly altered in pronunciation and in spelling, so that it would be be (for a lack of a better word) "Spanish-ized," hence Sofia.

I read that Queen Anne Marie of Greece is referred to sometimes as Anne Maria of Greece, for the same reasons, a "Greek-ization" of her name. [/b][/quote]
Hellenization

"Greek-ization" Hmmm. That sounds interesting. Not to be confused with Geek-ization.

She's like Queen Silvia-a very classy, refined lady, who isn't snobbish or uppity, just really polished and sophisticated. Every inch the Queen, but also warm and nice. :heart:

Originally posted by Alexandria+Feb 15th, 2004 - 1:32 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Feb 15th, 2004 - 1:32 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sky@Feb 15th, 2004 - 12:42 pm

I read that Queen Anne Marie of Greece is referred to sometimes as Anne Maria of Greece, for the same reasons, a "Greek-ization" of her name. [/b][/quote]
IIRC, Anne-Marie *actually changed* her name to Anna-Maria at the time of her marriage, no?

Originally posted by Josefine@May 26th, 2003 - 3:53 pm
Queen Sophia - 20030522

colourpress.com

Madrid, Spain - Queen Sophia of Spain put the first stone in the new High Musical School of Madrid. She was acconpanied by the local authorities as the major Alvarez del Manzano and the promoter Paloma O'Shea
sweet.... :heart: :flower:

They're not Prince and Princesss. There's only one Prince in the Spanish RF (Felipe). His sisters are Infantas, and their children are styled as Excellencies I believe.

Please does any body know the HEIGHT of Queen Sofia.

Please Please. Thank you

The heights of all the Royal Family of Spain are found in the Felipe and Letizia News thread...I'm not sure if I recall correctly, but I think it said that Queen Sofia is 174 cm.

This picture was posted this week in Hello Magazine.

"Queen Sofia shares a laugh with regional Catalan President Pasqual Maragall in Barcelona "

Attachments

• queensofiapic.jpg
    queensofiapic.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 352
with Felipe and Elena:

Attachments

• sf13244.jpg
    sf13244.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 431
  • sf13245.jpg
    sf13245.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,065