80th Birthday Celebrations of King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia - 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will not The King Constantine and Queen Ana Maria be there? .
The King Constatine is her brother.
The celebration will be in the privacy, at other times only her brothers were in the celebrate of her birthday, and her nephews and Prince Michael and Tatiana . Queen Sofia loves her nephew Prince Pavlos, I think that there is no problem in that they are present in the food or dinner. When Princess Irene celebrated her 70th birthday, her brothers and all her nephews and Michael and tatiana , were in Madrid.

Last edited:
Sofía has always been supportive of her daughter and son-in-law, so she would most likely be happy to invite Iñaki as well. Clearly, he currently isn't able to come, so I see no reason why Cristina and children (except for a gap year or so :) wouldn't attend). It will be interesting to see how many family members of the Greek royal family will attend their sister/aunt's wedding.

I do not think we see anything, on the birthday of King Juan Carlos was intimate, the Royal House shared a picture of King Juan Carlos with his grandchildren( Leonor, Sophia, Felipe, Victoria),Queen sophia, King Felipe, Queen Letizia and Infanta Elena. We only saw cars entering the palace

Last edited:
A greater surprise than Cristina for me would be Marie-Chantal who let herself go on social media this Easter, which I am sure was not appreciated in Madrid.

I guess some in Madrid did appreciate the tweet and some didn't.;)
The birthday girl is probably among those who did enjoy it.

I do not think we see anything, on the birthday of King Juan Carlos was intimate, the Royal House shared a picture of King Juan Carlos with his grandchildren( Leonor, Sophia, Felipe, Victoria),Queen sophia, King Felipe, Queen Letizia and Infanta Elena. We only saw cars entering the palace

I hope that, if they do choose to release a picture to the public, it will be a better one than what we got for Juan Carlos’s 80th. It’s better to release nothing at all than to put out a picture that looks like a random shot from someone’s phone.

The birthday girl gets her concert in the evening and is seen in public, I doubt we'll see a family picture but who knows.

Maybe they will leave it to Marie Chantal to post on Twitter ;)

Marie Chantal has informed her friend journalists of Hola (the same with whom she criticized the Palma issue on twitter) that she and her husband will not attend the celebration.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e.../marie-chantal-letizia-cumpleanos-dona-sofia/

Something that is not surprising, because a family event without galas, or haute couture dresses to wear, and where you can not put photos on Instagram... I do not think she would like it very much.

It is unfortunate that her journalist friend tries to excuse them by saying that they now live in New York ... that did not stop them from going to Eugenie's wedding in Windsor. Curiously, Marie Chantal will open her new store in London on the dates of the Prince of Wales birthday.

No surprise really given the tension she caused over her Easter tweet ;)

Not surprised that there isn't big public celebration. I hope at least we can get a new big family photo. Constantine and Anne-Marie probably will be there unless he doesn't feel good enough. Hope to see Nikolaos and Tatiana (even though they are not so close to the SRF I believe). And probably Marie Chantal isn't interested in such event which she can't seek some exposure.

No surprise really given the tension she caused over her Easter tweet ;)

I think the tension had probably been building for some time behind the scenes prior to the Tweet. Who knows what nastiness has gone on in private over the years. I think MCs comments were tacky - family grievances should remain private - but I also imagine there’s been a lot of bickering that’s happened over the years and that Letizia has been an active participant in it instead of the victim some see her as.

I think whether MC and Pavlos go to the party is irrelevant but what’s truly unfortunate is if Felipe and Pavlos have allowed their wives to impact their own relationship as cousins, (who at one point seemed more like brothers).

I think we will have a family photo. But I doubt to see more than just one photo. It's rare for The Spanish Royal Family to even release official pictures, much less a former Queen birthday celebrations.

I think the tension had probably been building for some time behind the scenes prior to the Tweet. Who knows what nastiness has gone on in private over the years. I think MCs comments were tacky - family grievances should remain private - but I also imagine there’s been a lot of bickering that’s happened over the years and that Letizia has been an active participant in it instead of the victim some see her as.

I think whether MC and Pavlos go to the party is irrelevant but what’s truly unfortunate is if Felipe and Pavlos have allowed their wives to impact their own relationship as cousins, (who at one point seemed more like brothers).
I agree.:flowers:

Well, Letizia is known to have a strong personality. Not everyone will like her for that and I'm sure she has lots a bad relationships with several people. At work I have a friend who has a strong character, always voice her opinion and she is quite confident/no fear of her thoughts. I could count with my fingers the people who don't like her and they are that many. So, maybe there was some family feud and bitter things were said. Obviously, those who have a strong personality often don't let it go (or don't forget), and since I bet MC is also strong-willed, both didn't forgive/made peace with the situation/with each other.

Last edited:

As the old saying goes 'It takes 2 to tango' ;)

I never thought of Felipe and Pavlos as being that close?

King Felipe has always been dutiful with his Greek family... proof of this is that he risked his reputation before the Spaniards attending Pavlos' 50th birthday party, even though he and his wife decided to invite Urdangarín without taking into account what that meant for the image of the King of Spain.

Pavlos shared studies with Felipe at Georgetown University, probably then they were united, but I think their lifestyles and commitments are different and probably over the years there has been more distance.

In one of the most important days for the life of Felipe, the day of his proclamation as King, was Nikolaos who was with him ... while Pavlos put a picture on Instagram with Philippos in a bar in New York.

As the old saying goes 'It takes 2 to tango' ;)

I never thought of Felipe and Pavlos as being that close?

My impression is that they were, growing up and as younger men. Whether they are still, who knows, especially if their wives don’t get along.

I think the important thing is that Sofia has a very nice 80th birthday celebration. If there is still tension between the two couples, or just between Letizia and MC, it’s best Pavlos and MC miss the party. There will be plenty of opportunities for them to give their aunt their best wishes and, while I’m sure Sofia loves her nephew, I’m guessing the only thing that’s really important to her regarding the party is the presence of her own three children and all of her grandchildren.

Very likely Cristina will be there, no way casareal will publish a picture with her in it.

The Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez send his congratulations to the Queen

"Hoy cumple 80 años la Reina Sofía y quiero mandarle desde aquí mi felicitación y la de todo el Gobierno. Siempre solidaria y comprometida. Trabajadora incansable en la construcción de un mundo mejor. Gracias por su servicio constante a nuestro país. ¡Felicidades!"
Today Queen Sofia is 80 years old and I would like to send her my congratulations and that of the whole Government. Always supportive and committed. Tireless worker in the construction of a better world. Thanks for your constant service to our country. Congratulations!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq_CnxiXQAAQmv7.jpg

At the concert tonight

https://www.gettyimages.es/search/u...t=none&family=editorial&editorialproducts=all

Very lovely the family picture!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised that Marie-chantal are not in party of brithday:ermm:, she was not attending the 70 BIRTHDAY OF THE QUEEN ANA MARIA (mother-in-law)!!!:bang::bang::bang:. Prince Paul he has a great friendship with King Felipe but he has a business and depends on his agenda, I remember that he came to the 70th birthday of Queen Sofia, but he lived in London, now lives in New York.

Looks like there was a nice royal gathering at Zarzuela but I never expected to see Infanta Cristina in the official photo.

In the lunch given at the Palace of the Zarzuela for the 80th birthday of Queen Doña Sofia have been present as reported by the press: the entire Spanish royal family, Princess Irene, King Constantine , Queen Anne Marie of the Helelenes, Prince Nikolaos , Princess Alexia with her husband Carlos, the family of King Juan Carlos, and King Simeon with Queen Margarita of Bulgaria. But in the concert given in the afternoon in honor of Queen Sophia, it seems that they have only been: Noor of Jordan, Farah Diba, Queen Margarita of Bulgaria, Infanta Pilar, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

https://look.okdiario.com/casa-real...cierto-80-cumpleanos-reina-sofia-3?pid=534613

no photos of guests to the lunch

Last edited:
My impression is that they were, growing up and as younger men. Whether they are still, who knows, especially if their wives don’t get along.

Weren't they housemates while they were both attending Georgetown University in the US ?

The Dowager Empress of Iran,Dowager Duchess of Calabria,Infanta Pilar ,Queen Noor,Queen Margarita of Bulgaria but where are the Greek royals?
The Greek royal couple is present at the concert but they did not pose for the picture. Maybe because king Konstantin cannot stay stand

Back
Top Bottom