The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 AM

reasoning

My reasoning is that regardless of the circumstances a public figure always maintains his/her dignity and the high road and never stoops to the level of his opponent. Once an individual stoops to the level of their opponent, things can only go downhill from there. As far I'm concerned, Zapatero came off as the consummate diplomat while King Juan Carlos only managed to look as boorish as Chavez. As to Chavez, he's cooking his own goose and doesn't need any help from anyone else.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

In my opinion, as I have already written, Juan Carlos did right, as Chavez was really rude.
Anyways thinking it over, I think that JC should have left, as he did, without saying anything. Probably nobody could have criticised the king for not being "royal".
For example, on the main Italian tv news, Tg1, they said it was like "any common talk show argue". They focused only on what the King said, and not on Chavez behaviour, like on most of the newspapers in the world.
Anyways, I am not an expert on diplomacy, but Chavez was rude and annoying and ...........when it is enough is enough.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I think this is sort of Michelle Bachelet's fault, she didn't moderate when Chavez started, if she would have done so, KJC wouldn't have screamed at him

Chavez saw that one coming whether it was from the King or anything else
Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki View Post
Chavez saw that one coming whether it was from the King or anything else
This is what he wanted? Again everybody is talking about him and that he lived up to his reputation, being able to provoke a King who promptly lost his countenance.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
This is what he wanted? Again everybody is talking about him and that he lived up to his reputation, being able to provoke a King who promptly lost his countenance.
Yes, it was what he wanted. This allows him to continue with his demagogic speech, to attract his public and to remove it from the real problem that exists in Venezuela. Chavez is in campaign to make changes in the Constitution, and with these changes be perpetuated in the power ... in Venezuela there have been protest of students that been suppressed by the police and in that there have been victims. Chavez needs to distract the attention.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

What we cannot forget is that Chavez had been anoying all along, not staying quiet when he had to, etc. So I don't think any other way of asking him to keep his mouth shut, would have helped either. So, for that matter, I think it's brilliant one man dared standing up and saying that, somehting that I'm sure many others were thinking, but were afraid to say.
I'm not a linguist but I was just wondering, is "shut up" the best translation we have of the Kings Words? It just seems to be that to tell somebody to shut up sounds much more harsh, that the spanish"porque no te callas'. Doesn't it?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Chavez is in campaign to make changes in the Constitution, and with these changes be perpetuated in the power ... in Venezuela there have been protest of students that been suppressed by the police and in that there have been victims. Chavez needs to distract the attention.
Chavez is in good company with other leaders, being elected or not, who will distract attention from severe problems in their own countries by making polemic expressions towards others.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

So, did anybody use the Kings remark as a ringtone of their phone? According to Dutch News programme ´4 in het land´ it is very popular and they even let us hear a popular variation: The Kings remark combined with a house beat. So, where can I donwload it?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
So, did anybody use the Kings remark as a ringtone of their phone? According to Dutch News programme ´4 in het land´ it is very popular and they even let us hear a popular variation: The Kings remark combined with a house beat. So, where can I donwload it?
Haha, seriously, a ringtone? That's brilliant. Let me know if you happen to find it online, I'd love to hear that
Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Yes, princess_leonor he said "porque no te callas?" and that would be a "why don't you shut up?"

Yeahhh I heard about the ringtone.
My internet didn't work since thursday!. When I saw the news about the King I thought, hey a new topic for the TFR, I'll have a lot to read.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Nobility

I dont want to Juan Carlos willbe go to America more. He is a stupid, he is a rich man that he has interested in America for money. He isnt our friend, he has maybe houses and other business that is only his interest. In Oaxaca, Mexico, he has a beautiful house with beach gift of ex president Carlos Salinas. He see to America with his. He thinks as our king and America is free.
oh Thank you God.

JUAN CARLOS VETE A CASA.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian View Post
I dont want to Juan Carlos willbe go to America more. He is a stupid, he is a rich man that he has interested in America for money. He isnt our friend, he has maybe houses and other business that is only his interest. In Oaxaca, Mexico, he has a beautiful house with beach gift of ex president Carlos Salinas. He see to America with his. He thinks as our king and America is free.
oh Thank you God.

JUAN CARLOS VETE A CASA.
I understand you may have your complains and you have all the right to say you don't like Juan Carlos, but I don't agree he thinks he is the King of South America.
Chavez behaved like a bully child who doesn't stop to say rude and mean things with one only purpose: cause moral damage. Imo, he also behaved like a Coward, because he offended a person who was not present. But well, we are used to it: Chavez always insult people when they are far away...
The King behaved very well. Probably if it was now, he would reacted differently, I don't believe he is the kind of man who tells "why don't you shut up?" to the person he doesn't agree with. But even a King can loose his head sometimes, and this time was for a very good cause! King Juan Carlos is the first man who dared to confront the rude Chavez, face to face. And to me, it seemed fantastic. If I was a Spaniard I would be very proud of him.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
oh Thank you God.

JUAN CARLOS VETE A CASA.

What does Salinas has to do with this?, he was president of Mexico decades ago and if you are gonna say something like that about the house you'd better have prove other wise is difamation! COME ON GET OVER HIM!

If you dislike the monarchy so much why are you in a thread like this?.

I'm really glad the king has said that to Chavez, because I feel a lot of people would like to say that to that... man
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
oh Thank you God.

JUAN CARLOS VETE A CASA.
Eh???????

Why are you participating in a royalty forum then? And what about this supposed house in Mexico??? I have never heard of this before! Please don't start spreading rumors unless you don't have the facts to back then up

Btw....VIVA EL REY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post

i remember when letizia said to prince felipe to shut up and let her talk. she didnt say "shut up" but almost. I believe the "shut up" thing is a common thing in this family
Didn't the prince interrupt her while she was speaking? That smacks of rudeness. And I believe what she said was "Dejame terminar, mi amor" which translates to my very rudimentary knowledge of spanish as "Let me finish, my love". Not quite as close to saying shut up, IMO
Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Yes, people have always criticized her to death about that. When she actually never said "shut up" to him.

And hey, for a reason on those summits when a president is talking the other microphones are off, so that no one interrupts when someone's speaking but apparently Mr. Chavez isn't smart enough to know that.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess leonor View Post
I'm not a linguist but I was just wondering, is "shut up" the best translation we have of the Kings Words? It just seems to be that to tell somebody to shut up sounds much more harsh, that the spanish"porque no te callas'. Doesn't it?
To me, it felt more like a "why don't you be quiet" kind of comment. "Shut up" does seem to be kinda harsh.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Gentry

Chávez and Zapatero give their respective versions about the incident (English subtitles):

Old 11-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Nobility

I read all the news around this incident with amusement. JC got a lot of cudos from American press by the way. Here are several news paper editorials:

Charleston, SC Latest Editorial News: Deserved royal putdown for Chavez

Today in Investor's Business Daily stock analysis and business news

There's an editorial in Dallas Morning News a few days ago and I can't find it now. An editorial in South Africa called JC "Juan Carlos the Brave". I can't find that article either. There are several articles in Miami Herald and this is the latest:

King's 'Shut Up' a Ringtone Hit - HispanicBusiness.com
Old 11-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
oh Thank you God.

JUAN CARLOS VETE A CASA.

He's not nor I doubt he will ever think of himself as the King of South America. Just because he has a house in Mexico means nothing. I find His Majesty King Juan Carlos to be a very good king for his country.

Besides that, there is a very good in today's LA Times about His Majesty:
Quote:
BOGOTA, COLOMBIA -- Someone finally told Hugo Chavez to shut up, and the Spanish-speaking world can hardly stop talking about it.
Finally. Someone had to do it, why not King Juan Carlos.
Click here to read the rest of the story as well as commentary.

Tags
chile, hugo chavez, ibero-american summit, juan carlos i, queen sofia, sofia (1938 -)