The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Aristocracy

My first post lol. I'm glad the king told Chavez to shut up. Mr Chavez thinks it's heroic to interrupt people and call names. He behaves like a child and I don't see that helping his country. It may not be the "grown up" thing to do or something befitting a king but I'm glad someone got to tell him off for a change.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Gentry

The video of the incident with English subtitles:

Note that Chávez didn't shut up after being warned by the king.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

King Juan Carlos tells Hugo Chávez to shut up during the closure of the Ibero-American summit

so funny, watched the you tube recording with translation and Spain has a very impressive PM, very eloquent
Old 11-12-2007, 06:26 AM
Royal Highness

Well done, Your Majesty. Here in Brasil, many people who are fed up too, call it "the phrase of the year".
Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 AM

I agree with Mascha and others- bravo! It was great- at last somebody stopped this clown. It can be various attitudes to fidel Castro, but I have never heard he insulted anybody as Chavez always does. Juan Carlos acted as a head of the State and as a man and it was great!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Royal Highness

Let's please be careful and make sure that this does not turn into a political discussion and lets remember to respect others' opinions.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

There are not many heads of state who will get away with something like that but JC is one of them. It will actually add to his charisma Somehow it reminded me of Nikita Khrushchev and his notorious shoe-banging incident
Old 11-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Courtier

Hugo Chavez fuels row with Spain after King tells him to "shut up" - Times Online
Old 11-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
The video of the incident with English subtitles:

Note that Chávez didn't shut up after being warned by the king.
Thank you for posting this youtube video. I had not been able to follow Chavez' remarks before seeing this one.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Gentry

ok i know im in minority here but i dont agree with Juan Carlos behaviour. I understand his reaction but I don't agree.
Chavez is a rude man and a real "fascist" imo, but he was elected by his people... JC wasn't. We shouldnt forget that P. Aznar offended Chavez in the first place using the same words that Chavez did this time... Just because Chavez is a dictator (imo) it doesnt give powers to JC order him to shut up...
I liked the diplomatic way Zapatiro talked with him, but the King was not in his days for sure. You can't ( a King can't) tell 'shut up' to a president of another country... In this summit... where were the moderators? Where were they?!...
They are the ones who should tell Chavez to stop to talk, to stop with the rude manners... not the King!
In TRF you cant tell anyone 'why don't you shut up?' even if you dont like someone's posts... I think the King should come here more times

I am not seeing Queen Elizabeth shouting to Robert Mugabe 'why dont you shut up?!'................ It would be fun i agree but a Queen/King should know her/his place 24 hours a day.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

there's a ringtone with the whole "Why don't you shut up", my grandma has it on her cellphone right now
Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

BRAVO YOUR MAJESTY! You serve your country proud! its about time someone told that Fascist a thing or two!!!!!!! HURRAH!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love that he told him to shut up! That was brilliant. It really showed me that Spain isn't going to put up with that stuff anymore.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:54 AM

Chavez's rudeness

I have to disagree with King Juan Carlos' behaviour; he is only stepping down to Chavez's level. I heartily applaud and approve of Zapatero's behaviour. He behaved as a true dignified diplomat. With mere words he was able to convey what a rude boor Chavez is and he liftted himself up above the fray. That is exactly how all true diplomats should behave.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:38 AM
Gentry

i agree with you, angelina. i just cant believe people agree with a king who tell others (no matter who they are) to shut up. once again, where were the moderators in this summit?....

i remember when letizia said to prince felipe to shut up and let her talk. she didnt say "shut up" but almost. I believe the "shut up" thing is a common thing in this family
Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 AM
Aristocracy

I too am in minority here but i dont agree with Juan Carlos behaviour. A better answer would have been a very firm "please listen senor" accompanied by a royal frown or raised eye brow. This would have been more constructive.
I agree with Angelina the King stepped down to Chavez's level. but I admire the spanish people's patriotism in showing support for their King.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

they were all hot headed, caught up in a heated discussion, "shut up" (and let others talk) was imo justified. I was very impressed by the response of the spanish pm, very dignified and intelligent.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

If, someone does not deal to reasons, since it is Chavez's case, sometimes it is necessary to say the things like that to him.

Chavez was going two days doing the same thing without nobody was quiet him. The Spanish asked him on Friday to behave and not to enter in debates and in critiques to persons who were not there and that were out of place in a summit like this. But he continued insisting ... and not only insist, but was interrupting constant the shift of word of Zapatero. The President of Chile should have kept silent Chavez, because he did not have right to speak in that moment. But if it does not do anything, ultimately the logical thing is that anybody says it to him.

Now Chavez continues, and continues ... manipulating the situation that was what was searching from the first moment. Because while one speaks about this, one does not speak that he wants to reform the Constitution of his country to be perpetuated in power and of that he is suppressing with violence the students who demonstrate against him.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 AM

chavez's behavior

If Chavez had told King Juan Carlos to shut up, everyone would be saying what an uncouth, barbarian dictator Chavez is. I think this type of behavior is improper for either party and I cannot condone it, and especially since it happened in such a public forum. It was up to the moderator to keep the comments on topic and if Chavez was overstepping the bounds, someone should have pressed the moderator to take action. What King Juan Carlos did is the type of chastising that is better done in private with a smile on the lips and delivered as a joke.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
What King Juan Carlos did is the type of chastising that is better done in private with a smile on the lips and delivered as a joke.
There there is the mistake of your reasoning ... the previous day and the same day, all the members of the Spanish group ... the King, the President, the Minister, the Secretariat for Latin America ... they had asked Chavez PRIVATELY that was behaving. Chavez not only did not behave well, but he worsened his behavior interrupting several times to Zapatero. Beside doing numerous insulting commentaries to the politics, the diplomacy and the Spanish businessmen.

Another mistake in your reasoning is to think that the King would interrupt a person who is in the legitimate use of the word. Neither the King nor the majority of the politicians who were in this meeting they would do it, for a simple question of education.

Tags
chile, hugo chavez, ibero-american summit, juan carlos i, queen sofia, sofia (1938 -)