The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
Some noble families are too inbred to secure genetic health. The bringing in of common blood is to be thought of as a plus, in these cases. This is what strengthens a family. If Amerindian blood is brought in, this is one way to strengthen the line. Vice-versa would be true. I am amused by the robber baron reputation of MT's Irish ancestor cataloged here. He, too, robber baron though he might be, brought in another "line" which is a genetic plus. Of course, there are some families who have strong genetic weakness, and bringing them in to a line will not improve it. One might say that some of the European royal families had lines which were not healthy. This is known. Some of these genes are remarkably persistent, others fade more quickly. Maria Teresa seems to be healthy and has produced healthy children, so she in effect proved she had good genes. Her husband's family had some degree of close intermarrying in it, and thus was a greater genetic risk, but here too all seems (from what we can see) to have gone well. May they be blessed to continue in health! What fine looking children came from Maria Teresa and Henri. Best looking bunch on the block!
Actually, despite Henri's less variant blood line [royal on both sides and high degree of intermarriage no doubt], it seems that his family is healthier than M-T's. After all, his father is already in his 90's [I believe] and he is still alive, while M-T's parents are both deceased. In fact, M-T's mother died at a relatively young age. I think that I saw somewhere that she died a few years after M-T's marriage to Henri, 1988 to be precise [if I am correct].

I pray that M-T is healthy and that her children are too, but I have heard that her maternal family had a propensity to die of cancer at an early age. In Cuba, I was told that before castro rose to power, they had founded a hospital that specialized in cancer patients due in part to the family's tragedy.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 AM

Maria Teresa Mestre is not related to Fulgencio Batista at all

Maria Teresa Mestre is not related to Fulgencio Batista, the former president of Cuba. They share the surname "Batista," but that is all. Just as two Smiths are not necessarily related, neither are two Batistas.

--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsh1969 View Post
I think her father died a few years ago in Miami, don't know about her mom, but I think she died too, but recently. MT family in Cuba were very wealthy, bank owners and "big" financials deals, her mom was related to Fulgencio Batista, the President of Cuba in the 50's. Also another big issue with MT coming into "royalty" specially with her mother in law (RIP) was that Fulgencio Batista was mulato (in English, mixed, half black half white) and so is MT in a 3rd or 4th degree, however for JC just the thought of having a "black" was too much, and thats the other reason why when MT gets tanned she gets quickly tanned, way too much but that what happens when your skin is dark, I know because it's happens to me.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castilla95 View Post
Maria Teresa Mestre is not related to Fulgencio Batista, the former president of Cuba. They share the surname "Batista," but that is all. Just as two Smiths are not necessarily related, neither are two Batistas.
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa addressed this topic as part of a much longer interview in last week's issue of Point de Vue. Here is my translation:

PdV: "WHAT WERE THE CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH YOU LEFT CUBA?"
MT: "When I left Cuba, I was three years old. I left with my mother and almost all of my family in October 1959, ten months after the fall of dictator Batista. My father, Jose Antonio Mestre, along with my little sister and her nurse, stayed behind in Havana until the baby was issued a passport. At the airport, however, after they had already boarded the plane, their departure was jeopardized by Castro militiamen who demanded my sister. Fulgenico Batista y Zalvidar had long fled Cuba with his family, but the confusion came from the name of my mother, Maria Teresa Batista-Falla which has no links to the dictator's family. Finally, one of the militia managed to calm the others and vouch for the identities of my father and sister who were allowed back on the plane to join the rest of their family in the United States. My father later revealed that there was more to the story. Before the revolution, when he was vice-president of a bank, he received a desperate mason to whom he granted a loan to save his business. That mason was the militiaman who allowed him and my sister to leave Cuba."
Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
Maria Teresa's family on her mother's side was in fact part of the West Indian plantocracy. It was basically founded by the union of two very powerful 17th century families. In 1690, Richard O'Daly O'Farrill an Irishman from Monserrat moved to Cuba. He sold his plantation in Monserrat and came with all of his wealth and 124 slaves. He established himself there, purchased land and married a Cuban aristocrat. They had several children and one of these children married into the Montalvo family, a family that was founded by a well-to-do Andalusian merchant who migrated to Cuba in 1730. The O'Farrill's became enormously wealthy when Richard O'Daly O'Farrill got a grant from the crown to establish the English Slave Company. In essence, O'Farrill became a slave captain and provided slaves to the entire Spanish Caribbean. The Montalvo's, on the other hand, became one of the wealthiest merchant families in Havana. The union of these two families created even more wealth. And they did what many wealthy families from the 1700's did, they acquired titles of nobility that gave them the prestige to match their enormous wealth.
This is in response to Rayarena. Maria Teresa Mestre Batista comes from one of the wealthiest Cuban families. MT mother's is NOT RELATED TO FULGENCIO BATISTA, the dictator who fled Cuban in December 1958. The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg's family had all their money is Swiss banks and moved to Switzerland because they were very wealthy. As far as I know she is direct descendant of Spanish and Irish families. Her family was "old money" and still is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
Members of a West Indian plantocracy married each other or gentry from the ruling European country. So, the fact that the Mestres went to New York when Castro took over indicates that they were not plantocracy and were of the merchant class because the Cuban plantocracy would have gone to Spain after Castro's revolution.
In response to Susan D.:
I am sorry but many of the wealthiest Cuban exiles did not move to Spain.
The Mestre-Batista family were not merchants but bankers and land owners.
The Fanjul-Gómez Mena (Alfie, Lilliam and Pepe) moved to Florida where they already owned sugar cane fields. This family owns Domino Sugar and Sun-Flo. Their money is in Swiss banks.
Julio Lobo (also one of Cuba's wealthy sugar cane owners) moved to England. His daughter María Luisa Lobo married a very wealthy Englishman and dedicated her life to restoring Havana's crumbling mansions. Her father, Julio Lobo, owned one of the largest collection of Napoleonic documents and furniture in his home in Cuba, now a museum. Their money is in Swiss banks.
The Mestre Batista left Cuba ande settled for a while in New York and moved their family to Switzerland where all their children went to exclusive boarding schools. Their money is in Swiss banks.
The wealthy Cuban aristocracy had their money in Swiss Banks and indeed their lost their material possessions but moved out of Cuba and have maintained their wealth outside of Cuba.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Serene Highness

It is lovely that Grand Duchess Maria Teresa has the same first two names as her mother: Maria Teresa.

Tags
grand duchess maria teresa