Luxembourg State Visit to Portugal: September 7-9, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Luxembourg State Visit to Portugal 7, 8 and 9 of September 2010

:luxflag: :portugalflag:

Since the Grand Duke & Duchess will be arriving In Portugal tomorrow I thought we should make a thread for their visit.

The Schedule for the 7th, 8th, and 9th is as follows:

7th of September

11:25 - The Grand Dukes arrive at the Jeronimos Monastery @ the praca do Imperio
- Wreath laying Ceremony at Luiz Vaz de Camoes tomb

12:10 - Arrival at the Belem Palace
- Military Honors
- National Anthems
- Official Photograph
- Singing of the guest of honor book
- Exchange of decorations & gifts.

12:30 - Audience between the President & first lady & the Grand Dukes.

12:35 - Audience between the President & The Grand Duke.

13:10 - Press conference by the president & Grand duke to the media at the Belem Palace

13:20 - Lunch offered by the president & the First lady to the Grand Ducal couple at the Belem Palace.

20:15 - Banquet offered by the president & the First lady to the Grand Ducal couple at the Ajuda Palace.

8th of September

??:?? - Seminar on finance & Banking hosted by the GD & Minister Jeannot Krecke,

??:?? - Grand Duke & Grand Duchess will visit the medieval monument/ Castle of St George.

??:?? - The Grand Duke will have an Audience with the Prime Minister while The Grand Duchess accompanied by the First lady visit Casa Sol Association.

12:45 - The Portuguese First Lady will host a lunch in honor of the Grand Duchess at Feitoria restaurant.

??:?? - Grand Duke's visit Cascais where they will unveil a bust of Grand Duchess Charlotte at the Casa Santa Maria.

20:00 - The President & first lady will attend a jazz concert by the Demuth Quartet, offered by the Grand Ducal Couple at the Jeronimos Monastery.

20:30 - Return dinner offered by the Grand Ducal Couple in honor of the President & First lady at the Jeronimos Monastery.

9th of September

??:?? - Grand Ducal couple will visit the City of Coimbra where they will first meet the municipal council.

??:?? - Then visit the monastery of Santa Cruz (early pantheon of Portuguese Kings).

??:?? - Then they will visit the University of Coimbra the oldest university in Portugal.

??:?? - At the historic Library the Grand Duke will host a speech on the topic: " Luxembourg a land of immigration and host", then he will visit the Pedro Nunes Institute. While the Grand Duchess will host a round table discussion on Micro-finance.

Schedule taken from here and here.

And the rest of the program for the second and third day of visit?
I meant to try to take some photos, but I doubt that I may take something in the first day! :ermm:

Hmm I don't know that's all that there is on the Site of the Presidency, maybe I'll look for the first lady's , but I'm sure she's taking the Grand Duchess to the coach museum. I'll also look on the site of the Grand Dukes for their program and add it all up there! :)

EDIT: I updated the schedule already. :flowers:

Official photogallery from the welcome ceremony:

ACTUALIDADE - Pgina Oficial da Presidncia da Repblica Portuguesa

And the ladies' visit to Museu da Presidência:

ACTUALIDADE: GERAL - Maria Cavaco Silva - Pgina Oficial da Presidncia da Repblica Portuguesa=

During the press conference, the Grand Duke of Luxembourg thanked "all the contribution of the Portuguese community" and stressed his own Portuguese family connections. He also thanked the fact that Portugal has received his grandmother and parents, during the war.

http://jn.sapo.pt/PaginaInicial/Nacional/Interior.aspx?content_id=1657076http://www.jornaldigital.com/noticias.php?noticia=23329

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! any clue as to the tiara? I'm stumped!! The first lady uses the same dress she wore on the Swedish State Visit.

any clue as to the tiara? I'm stumped!!

It is Josephine-Charlotte's Van Cleef and Arples Emerald and Diamond Convertible. It was a wedding present from Grand Duke Jean. This is the first time that MT has worn it.

It is Josephine-Charlotte's Van Cleef and Arples Emerald and Diamond Convertible. It was a wedding present from Grand Duke Jean. This is the first time that MT has worn it.
Nice to see her finally turn out some more jewellery of Josephine-Charlotte. All we need now is better pictures, you can hardly recognize the tiara on this pic from Belga.

She has worn much of Josephine-Charlotte's private jewels for many years (since prior to Jean's abdication). She has worn nearly every piece of her collection save some brooches, bracelets and the Van Cleef and Arples Rubies. Many of the pieces worn most often by MT are jewels that were privately owned by JC and were very sentimental. I don't think one can believe all the rumors about JC refusing to allow MT to wear her jewels. The evidence certainly doesn't support that. MT has worn jewelry owned by JC and Jean since the day of her marriage.

Most of the really good pictures won't appear for a few days. It is always after a visit that the best/most pictures are available.

I think it's great that the Grand Ducal couple are making a state visit to the country of most of their immigrant population. I do wonder if they'll actually implement some of the discussed topics (Portuguese language in the schools for one).

I thought the tiara looked very appropriate for the event and loved it on her. I didn't like it the first time I saw it but it's grown on me (plus she wore my favorite earrings).

Thank you for the information! :flowers:
Isn't there any video of the Grand Duke's speech?

Following the separate programme of the State Visit to Portugal of the Grand Dukes of Luxembourg, and accompanied by Mrs. Cavaco Silva, the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg visited Casa Sol – Association for the Support of Children Infected with HIV/AIDS, in Lisbon, where she met with children under care and officials of the institution.

Official photogallery:
Imagem Ampliada - Maria Cavaco Silva - Presidncia da Repblica Portuguesa

Nice state visit! Thanks for all the photos.

When the Grand Ducal has an audience, is this something that you're invited to or can anyone attend?

Here are photos of the Jazz Concert from tonight at the Jeronimos Monastery.
Imagem Ampliada - Presidncia da Repblica Portuguesa

Nascarlucy, normally audiences is just a word used for a meeting between two people, So when the Grand Duke & the President sat down together it's called an audience. Normally head of states invite people of interest and who have done good things for their country to have an audience with them, which is just a private meeting. :)

Thank you. I wasn't sure what that meant

Potuguese taught at school

I think it's great that the Grand Ducal couple are making a state visit to the country of most of their immigrant population. I do wonder if they'll actually implement some of the discussed topics (Portuguese language in the schools for one).

I thought the tiara looked very appropriate for the event and loved it on her. I didn't like it the first time I saw it but it's grown on me (plus she wore my favorite earrings).

Would it be worth it?

Good observation Countess I didn't even think about her homage to the Portuguese flag,What a nice gesture. :)

Back
Top Bottom