Life of Grand Duke Henri: Symbols, Important Moments, Protocols

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drimal

Nobility
City
Belvaux
Country
Luxembourg
Hello, I thought that it is time to start a new thread in The Grand Dukes of Luxembourg!:)

This thread treats mainly the functions of the Grand Duke in form of an explanation of his functions, but also official State visits and the National Day of Luxembourg (dates during which the Grand Duke represents his country).

In a second way I want to show some pictures of his palaces and castles and explain the history of his respective "dwellings".

In a third way in this thread important moments in the history of Grand Duke Henri, but also in the life of the other family members will be discussed like his throne accession, his father's throne accession, the nomination to Heridarity Grand Duke of Prince Guillaume, and so on.:)

But I want also start a discussion about the symbols of the Grand Duke (which are in a certain way also symbols of Luxembourg) like the heraldic symbol, the national flag, the national anthem, ...

I hope that you will enjoy this new thread which will treat the subjects which had missed in this forum!:p

Last edited:
Symbols - Flag of Luxembourg and the heraldic symbol

The first picture below is the national flag of Luxembourg!

And now the explanation of the flag:

The flag of Luxembourg has three horizontal stripes, the upper is red, the middle is white and below is fair blue (don't confuse with the Dutch flag which has a royal blue colour!;) ). She is coming from the banner of Earl Henry VI of Luxembourg (later on he is Roman-German emperor Henri VII. It shows a red lion on a field of blue-white (this is the national heraldic symbol today;) ). The similarity to the Dutch flag is a coincidence, which has a darker blue (Royal blue). And the Luxembourgish flag is longer.

The Luxembourgish flag was introduced in its actual form the 16th August 1972!

And the two other pictures shows the heraldic symbol which is also the symbol of the Grand Ducal family, the red Lion on a field of blue-white:).

On the link where I found the second picture there are many pictures of my beautiful country which you find here:http://www.ludgerusschule.de/eurorap/luxemburg/kinoa.htm

1. national flag of Luxembourg
2. the heraldic symbol of Luxembourg
3. that's the heraldic symbol of the Grand Duke

Attachments

• luxembourg-flag.gif
    luxembourg-flag.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 560
  • wappen1.jpg
    wappen1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • wappen 2.gif
    wappen 2.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,544
Last edited:
drimal, could you please tell us, what is the role of the Grand Duke in regards to the parliament and political life? For instance, is his role only ceremonial? Or does he have some political power?

KatieLouise said:
drimal, could you please tell us, what is the role of the Grand Duke in regards to the parliament and political life? For instance, is his role only ceremonial? Or does he have some political power?
Luxembourg is a constitutional monarchy!;)
A constitutional monarchy is a form of government established under a constitutional system which acknowledges a hereditary or elected monarch as head of state. Modern constitutional monarchies usually implement the concept of trias politica, and have the monarch as the (symbolic) head of the executive branch. Where a monarch holds absolute power, it is known as an absolute monarchy.

Today, constitutional monarchy is almost always combined with representative democracy, and represents a compromise between theories of sovereignty which place sovereignty in the hands of the people, and those that see a role for tradition in the theory of government. Though the king or queen may be regarded as the government's symbolic head, it is the Prime Minister, whose power derives directly or indirectly from elections, who actually governs the country.

Link where I found this text: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy

By clicking on the blue words you see the explanation.

I just want to add that Grand Duke Henri has the right to give his veto to every decision of the Luxembourgish government, but I cannot remember that he or his father had done this!;)
But in the theory he has some poltical power and his rule is not only ceremonical.

Last edited:
So this means that the Grand Duke does not have absolute rule and doesn't have the final say behind decisions...?

Thank you very much for the information, drimal! :) I think it's interesting that monarchs generally have "theoretical" powers but they never use them. For instance, I know that Queen Elizabeth II has the power to withhold royal assent and the power to declare war but, of course, she would never do either of these things! I can think of one instance of a monarch withholding royal assent and that was King Baudouin I of the Belgians in regards to a bill liberalising abortion laws. The government declared him unable to reign and took over the role of head of state. King Baudouin was declared able to rule again the next day. So, if Grand Duke Henri ever decided to veto a bill in parliament, I wonder whether the same sort of thing would happen?

Yes, but I couldn't imagine the Grand Duke stopping anything trivial. The only reason I could see he would stop a bill, would be because it is completely against the moral/ethical beliefs of the monarchy and Luxembourg.

KatieLouise said:
Yes, but I couldn't imagine the Grand Duke stopping anything trivial. The only reason I could see he would stop a bill, would be because it is completely against the moral/ethical beliefs of the monarchy and Luxembourg.
I don't think Grand Duke Henri would use his veto because unfortunately there are also in my country (where is very popular) some people who want to get rid of him!:mad:

There are two persons who said that clearly in the parliament and I was shocked by these statements. Those two person (who I will not name because I first don't want to harm anybody here and second because we are not allowed in this forum to talk about politics;) ) reclaimed a President for Luxembourg!:mad:

So if Grand Duke Henri would use his veto rights his adversors would reclaim his abdication...:(

Oh, yes republicans :( - almost 50% of our country are republicans. Why do they want to get rid of the Grand Duke? Surely, though, if a referendum was held in Luxembourg over the monarchy, the monarchy would win?

KatieLouise said:
Oh, yes republicans :( - almost 50% of our country are republicans. Why do they want to get rid of the Grand Duke? Surely, though, if a referendum was held in Luxembourg over the monarchy, the monarchy would win?
I think there was a referendum about this subject in history after Marie-Adelheid a sister of Grand Duchess Charlotte and the aunt of Grand Duke Jean was involved in some strange bussiness which had to do with the first World War and more than 90% of the inhabitants vote for the continuation of the monarchy.:)
So if Marie Adelheid had not done this things in World War I Grand Duke Henri would not be Grand Duke today but one of Marie Adelheid's children!

But I think that Grand Duke Henri's adversors have own interest by reclaiming this. Certainly they want to be the candidate for a president.:mad: :(

Last edited:
that's pathetic and sad. the story of ppl vying for power at someone else's expense.

The whole president thing was two or three years ago. It was not that important because the respective persons have not enough power to take such decisions (one has retired from politics because of personal reasons;)), but this example shows that Grand Duke has adversors and thus he certainly will never make use of his veto rights although he could make it.:(

Symbols- The national anthem of Luxembourg

Definition:

A national anthem is a song with usually a popular tune, which is an expression of national- and self consciousness and which is declared to national anthem with an own legislative act.
National anthems are played to very special events as for example state visits, cultural organisations or sport events.

Music and Text:

The music of Luxembourg's national anthem is from Jean-Antoine Zinnen and the text is from Michel Lentz (a famous Luxembourgish author). The national anthems exists since 1895.

And here is the text of the national anthem (in Luxembourgish and English!:) ):

Ons Hémécht
Wou d'Uelzecht durech d'Wisen zéit,
Duerch d'Fielsen d'Sauer brëcht.
Wou d'Rief laanscht d'Musel dofteg bléit,
Den Himmel Wäin ons mëcht.
Dat as onst Land, fir dat mir géif,
Heinidden alles won.
Onst Heemechtsland, dat mir sou déif
An onsen Hierzer dron.
Onst Heemechtsland, dat mir sou déif
An onsen Hierzer dron.

O Du do uewen, deem séng Hand
Duurch d'Welt d'Natioune Ieet,
Behitt Du d'Lëtzebuerger Land
Vru friemem Joch a Leed!
Du hues ons all als Kanner schon
De fräie Geescht jo gin.
Looss viru blénken d'Fräiheetssonn,
Déi mir sou laang gesin

Our Motherland
Where the Alzette flows through the meadows,
The Sura breaks through the crags.
Where the vine fragrant grows along the Moselle,
The sky promises us wine:
There lies the land for which we willingly
Dare everything down here.
Our Homeland which we so deeply
Carry in our hearts.

O Thou above, Whose powerful hand
Leads the nations through the world,
Protect the Luxembourg land
From foreign yoke and threat.
As children Thou already instilled in us all
The spirit of freedom.
Let freedom's sun, which we have known for so long,
Shine for evermore.

Here is a link to the site where I have this information: http://www.kidsweb.at/eu/europunion/hymluxem.htm

And here you can hear the national anthem:
http://www.national-anthems.de/ants-l-n.html

And for those who can play an instrument I have this picture with notes!:)

Attachments

• noten-lu.jpg
    noten-lu.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,123
That is really cool, drimal. Thanks for sharing with us. ;]

I do have a question for you- is the Grand Ducal family well-liked in Luxembourg? I mean, there's no talk of a republic, right?
Just curious!
Lollies!
-Kara-

History of Luxembourg royal family

After 400 years of being passed between various European nations, in 1815, following the Napoleonic wars, Luxembourg was declared a grand duchy and presented as a personal gift to King William I of the Netherlands by the Congress of Vienna. Although the duchy retained the legal position of an independent state, William ignored its sovereignty and treated it as conquered territory.

In 1830, Luxembourg supported its neighbour Belgium - which had also been ceded to the Netherlands - in its revolt against the Dutch in 1830. The duchy's ally then claimed Luxembourg for its own, however, although at the end of the day it only managed to secure the French-speaking part of the territory.

Between 1839 and 1867 the remaining Dutch part of the state - the 1,000 square miles which became present-day Luxembourg - was administered autonomously from the Netherlands. It wasn't until the Treaty of London in 1867 that Luxembourg would finally become a sovereign nation.

Luxembourg's current royal family was established in 1890, when, following the death of the Dutch monarch, King William III, without a male heir, the grand duchy passed to Adolf, Duke of Nassau, who became Grand Duke Adolf I. Ruling until 1905, Adolf strengthened the territory's sense of autonomy and national character.

In 1914, Luxembourg was overrun by German troops and remained in that country's grip for the duration of World War I. History would repeat itself during World War II, prompting the royal family to flee and a government-in-exile to be established in London.

Until WWII, Luxembourg had strongly maintained a position of neutrality, but following the cease in hostilities it joined both NATO and the United Nations. Together with Belgium and the Netherlands, it created the Benelux Economic Union in 1944. This would later serve as a model for the European Union, of which the tiny country was a founding member.

Today Luxembourg is ruled by the sixth and current grand duke, Henri, of the House of Nassau-Weilburg, who came to power on October 7, 2000, when his father, Grand Duke Jean, abdicated. And while much of the executive power lies with the prime minister - a grand duke appointee - and his cabinet, the duchy's figurehead remains a powerful and influential figure.

Link where I found this text: http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/luxembourg/history.html

A very good link with a family tree and the history of the palace!:)

Attachments

• grouppic.jpg
    grouppic.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 2,575
I have promised that I will post all pictures of National Day in this thread and I will hold my promise!:)

The pictures of National Day 2001 (23.06.2001)

1. in the church
2. to 4. outside the church
5. Grand Duke Henri with (former) Minister of Army Charles Goerens and (former) Minister of Interoir Michel Wolter
6. to 10. pics of Military Parade

Attachments

• 22.6.2001.jpg
    22.6.2001.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 379
  • 22.6.2001 2.jpg
    22.6.2001 2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 380
  • 22.6.2001 3.jpg
    22.6.2001 3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 22.6.2001 4.jpg
    22.6.2001 4.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 22.6.2001 5.jpg
    22.6.2001 5.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 22.6.2001 6.jpg
    22.6.2001 6.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 22.6.2001 7.jpg
    22.6.2001 7.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 324
  • 22.6.2001 8.jpg
    22.6.2001 8.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 399
  • 22.6.2001 9.jpg
    22.6.2001 9.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 22.6.2001 10.jpg
    22.6.2001 10.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
11. another image of the military parade
12. Maria Teresa greeting
13. presentation picture before the army
14.and 15. pictures during the Te Deum in the cathedrale

Note: This was the first National Day of Grand Duke Henri as sovereign of Luxembourg!

Attachments

• 22.6.2001 11.jpg
    22.6.2001 11.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 308
  • 22.6.2001 12.jpg
    22.6.2001 12.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 22.6.2001 13.jpg
    22.6.2001 13.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 22.6.2001 14.jpg
    22.6.2001 14.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 372
  • 22.6.2001 15.jpg
    22.6.2001 15.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 344
I probably originally stole this pics from another thread in the forum, so I hope no one minds if I use them here... I hope other people will be able to add lots more.

1. Ballroom of the Grand Ducal Palace
2. A corridor in the Grand Ducal Palace
3. Dining room in the Grand Ducal Palace
4, 5, 6. Outside views of the Grand Ducal Palace

Attachments

• Palacecorridor.jpg
    Palacecorridor.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 447
  • Palacediningroom.jpg
    Palacediningroom.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 697
  • Palais Grand Ducal.jpg
    Palais Grand Ducal.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 550
  • Palais Grand Ducal2.jpg
    Palais Grand Ducal2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,315
  • Palais Grand Ducal3.jpg
    Palais Grand Ducal3.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 2,075
  • Palaceballroom.jpg
    Palaceballroom.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 860
After all the symbols explanation I want to start new with the castles and palaces of the Grand Ducal family:

Fischbach Castle has also a long history! The men of the ancient nobility of Fischbach were named in texts of the year 1050. The original castle walls were destroyed by flames in the 30 year long war in 1635. It was rebuild in a new look from Gerhard von Schwarzenberg who sell it to Jacques-Ignace de Cassal de Bomal in 1685. Later the family Cassal de Bomal had created a humble abode (maybe this translation of Hüttenwerke in German is wrong), which was owned after the Franch Revolution by the family Collart from Dommeldange.
In 1850 the King-Grand Duke Wilhelm III bought it and since 1905 the Nassau family ownes that castle (it is private property).:)
Today the former Grand Ducal couple Jean and Josephine-Charlotte are dwelling it (before the throne achievement of Grand Duke Henri it was Henri with his wife and his children who were the inhabitants) in this extraordinary building, which foundation walls are built on nearly thousand years old foundations. Underground walkings are witness of escape routes and are delight for every adventure heart! Unfortunately nobody is allowed to visit them and apart from this ban, they are closed and so nobody could enter.;)

After the theory it is always a delight to see some pictures of the subject. I had not have the time to scan the interior pictures, but I have some pics of outside:

Attachments

• Schloss Fischbach 1.jpg
    Schloss Fischbach 1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,629
  • Schloss Fischbach 2.jpg
    Schloss Fischbach 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 562
  • Schloss Fischbach 3.jpg
    Schloss Fischbach 3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 474
  • Schloss Fischbach 4.jpg
    Schloss Fischbach 4.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 805
  • Schloss Fischbach 5.jpg
    Schloss Fischbach 5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 719
  • Schloss Fischbach 6.jpg
    Schloss Fischbach 6.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,874
  • Schloss Fischbach 7.jpg
    Schloss Fischbach 7.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 420
  • Schloss Fischbach 8.jpg
    Schloss Fischbach 8.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 598
  • Schloss Fischbach 9.jpg
    Schloss Fischbach 9.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
the palais is lovely, thank for the pics. and thanks for the excellent info drimal. and yes, please feel free do some scans of the interiors of the other grand ducal residences. thanks in advance :).

[So if Marie Adelheid had not done this things in World War I Grand Duke Henri would not be Grand Duke today but one of Marie Adelheid's children!

Henri would still be Grand Duke today as Marie Adelaide never had any children. I believe she became a nun after she gave up the throne.

I'm sooo glad to see these pics. I recently bought a book on palaces in hopes to see the palace in Luxembourg. It wan't there, so I was pretty disapointed. But now, I'm much happier.

Many thanks, drimal! :D Fischbach Castle is so gorgeous, especially with all that ivy growing up it! Now we just need photos of Colmar-Berg!! I'll have a look for some - I have a picture of Maria Teresa standing outside Colmar-Berg but it's too big to post on here :(

KatieLouise said:
Many thanks, drimal! :D Fischbach Castle is so gorgeous, especially with all that ivy growing up it! Now we just need photos of Colmar-Berg!! I'll have a look for some - I have a picture of Maria Teresa standing outside Colmar-Berg but it's too big to post on here :(
I found some pictures of Colmar-Berg and I'm hoping they are correct and not just pictures of the city. If they're wrong, please let me know. :)

Attachments

• colmar-berg1.jpg
    colmar-berg1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 361
  • colmar-berg2.jpg
    colmar-berg2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 310
  • colmar-berg3.jpg
    colmar-berg3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 323
Back
Top Bottom