The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-15-2004, 04:14 AM
Nobility

Smile Life of Grand Duke Henri: Symbols, Important Moments, Protocols

Hello, I thought that it is time to start a new thread in The Grand Dukes of Luxembourg!:)

This thread treats mainly the functions of the Grand Duke in form of an explanation of his functions, but also official State visits and the National Day of Luxembourg (dates during which the Grand Duke represents his country).

In a second way I want to show some pictures of his palaces and castles and explain the history of his respective "dwellings".

In a third way in this thread important moments in the history of Grand Duke Henri, but also in the life of the other family members will be discussed like his throne accession, his father's throne accession, the nomination to Heridarity Grand Duke of Prince Guillaume, and so on.:)

But I want also start a discussion about the symbols of the Grand Duke (which are in a certain way also symbols of Luxembourg) like the heraldic symbol, the national flag, the national anthem, ...

I hope that you will enjoy this new thread which will treat the subjects which had missed in this forum!:p

Old 12-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

What does the flag in Luxembourg look like? I've seen two different kinds.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:35 AM
Nobility

Symbols - Flag of Luxembourg and the heraldic symbol

The first picture below is the national flag of Luxembourg!

And now the explanation of the flag:

The flag of Luxembourg has three horizontal stripes, the upper is red, the middle is white and below is fair blue (don't confuse with the Dutch flag which has a royal blue colour! ). She is coming from the banner of Earl Henry VI of Luxembourg (later on he is Roman-German emperor Henri VII. It shows a red lion on a field of blue-white (this is the national heraldic symbol today ). The similarity to the Dutch flag is a coincidence, which has a darker blue (Royal blue). And the Luxembourgish flag is longer.

The Luxembourgish flag was introduced in its actual form the 16th August 1972!

And the two other pictures shows the heraldic symbol which is also the symbol of the Grand Ducal family, the red Lion on a field of blue-white:).

On the link where I found the second picture there are many pictures of my beautiful country which you find here:http://www.ludgerusschule.de/eurorap...burg/kinoa.htm

1. national flag of Luxembourg
2. the heraldic symbol of Luxembourg
3. that's the heraldic symbol of the Grand Duke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luxembourg-flag.gif
Views:	84
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	67059   Click image for larger version

Name:	wappen1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	67062   Click image for larger version

Name:	wappen 2.gif
Views:	100
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	67066  
Old 12-16-2004, 07:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow so this flag is relative young!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanx! I had gotten the flag confused with the heraldic symbol 'cause I've seen it as a flag before.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:29 AM
Nobility

drimal, could you please tell us, what is the role of the Grand Duke in regards to the parliament and political life? For instance, is his role only ceremonial? Or does he have some political power?
Old 12-18-2004, 06:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLouise
drimal, could you please tell us, what is the role of the Grand Duke in regards to the parliament and political life? For instance, is his role only ceremonial? Or does he have some political power?
Luxembourg is a constitutional monarchy!
A constitutional monarchy is a form of government established under a constitutional system which acknowledges a hereditary or elected monarch as head of state. Modern constitutional monarchies usually implement the concept of trias politica, and have the monarch as the (symbolic) head of the executive branch. Where a monarch holds absolute power, it is known as an absolute monarchy.

Today, constitutional monarchy is almost always combined with representative democracy, and represents a compromise between theories of sovereignty which place sovereignty in the hands of the people, and those that see a role for tradition in the theory of government. Though the king or queen may be regarded as the government's symbolic head, it is the Prime Minister, whose power derives directly or indirectly from elections, who actually governs the country.

Link where I found this text: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy

By clicking on the blue words you see the explanation.

I just want to add that Grand Duke Henri has the right to give his veto to every decision of the Luxembourgish government, but I cannot remember that he or his father had done this!
But in the theory he has some poltical power and his rule is not only ceremonical.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

So this means that the Grand Duke does not have absolute rule and doesn't have the final say behind decisions...?
Old 12-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Nobility

Thank you very much for the information, drimal! :) I think it's interesting that monarchs generally have "theoretical" powers but they never use them. For instance, I know that Queen Elizabeth II has the power to withhold royal assent and the power to declare war but, of course, she would never do either of these things! I can think of one instance of a monarch withholding royal assent and that was King Baudouin I of the Belgians in regards to a bill liberalising abortion laws. The government declared him unable to reign and took over the role of head of state. King Baudouin was declared able to rule again the next day. So, if Grand Duke Henri ever decided to veto a bill in parliament, I wonder whether the same sort of thing would happen?
Old 12-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

It depends on the importance of that bill.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:32 PM
Nobility

Yes, but I couldn't imagine the Grand Duke stopping anything trivial. The only reason I could see he would stop a bill, would be because it is completely against the moral/ethical beliefs of the monarchy and Luxembourg.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes, but I couldn't imagine the Grand Duke stopping anything trivial. The only reason I could see he would stop a bill, would be because it is completely against the moral/ethical beliefs of the monarchy and Luxembourg.
I don't think Grand Duke Henri would use his veto because unfortunately there are also in my country (where is very popular) some people who want to get rid of him!

There are two persons who said that clearly in the parliament and I was shocked by these statements. Those two person (who I will not name because I first don't want to harm anybody here and second because we are not allowed in this forum to talk about politics ) reclaimed a President for Luxembourg!

So if Grand Duke Henri would use his veto rights his adversors would reclaim his abdication...:(
Old 12-19-2004, 04:07 AM
Nobility

Oh, yes republicans :( - almost 50% of our country are republicans. Why do they want to get rid of the Grand Duke? Surely, though, if a referendum was held in Luxembourg over the monarchy, the monarchy would win?
Old 12-19-2004, 04:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Oh, yes republicans :( - almost 50% of our country are republicans. Why do they want to get rid of the Grand Duke? Surely, though, if a referendum was held in Luxembourg over the monarchy, the monarchy would win?
I think there was a referendum about this subject in history after Marie-Adelheid a sister of Grand Duchess Charlotte and the aunt of Grand Duke Jean was involved in some strange bussiness which had to do with the first World War and more than 90% of the inhabitants vote for the continuation of the monarchy.:)
So if Marie Adelheid had not done this things in World War I Grand Duke Henri would not be Grand Duke today but one of Marie Adelheid's children!

But I think that Grand Duke Henri's adversors have own interest by reclaiming this. Certainly they want to be the candidate for a president. :(
Old 12-19-2004, 04:27 AM
Courtier

that's pathetic and sad. the story of ppl vying for power at someone else's expense.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

So was that whole president thing an important point in Henri's life?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Nobility

The whole president thing was two or three years ago. It was not that important because the respective persons have not enough power to take such decisions (one has retired from politics because of personal reasons), but this example shows that Grand Duke has adversors and thus he certainly will never make use of his veto rights although he could make it.:(
Old 12-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Nobility

Symbols- The national anthem of Luxembourg

Definition:

A national anthem is a song with usually a popular tune, which is an expression of national- and self consciousness and which is declared to national anthem with an own legislative act.
National anthems are played to very special events as for example state visits, cultural organisations or sport events.

Music and Text:

The music of Luxembourg's national anthem is from Jean-Antoine Zinnen and the text is from Michel Lentz (a famous Luxembourgish author). The national anthems exists since 1895.

And here is the text of the national anthem (in Luxembourgish and English!:) ):

Ons Hémécht
Wou d'Uelzecht durech d'Wisen zéit,
Duerch d'Fielsen d'Sauer brëcht.
Wou d'Rief laanscht d'Musel dofteg bléit,
Den Himmel Wäin ons mëcht.
Dat as onst Land, fir dat mir géif,
Heinidden alles won.
Onst Heemechtsland, dat mir sou déif
An onsen Hierzer dron.
Onst Heemechtsland, dat mir sou déif
An onsen Hierzer dron.

O Du do uewen, deem séng Hand
Duurch d'Welt d'Natioune Ieet,
Behitt Du d'Lëtzebuerger Land
Vru friemem Joch a Leed!
Du hues ons all als Kanner schon
De fräie Geescht jo gin.
Looss viru blénken d'Fräiheetssonn,
Déi mir sou laang gesin

Our Motherland
Where the Alzette flows through the meadows,
The Sura breaks through the crags.
Where the vine fragrant grows along the Moselle,
The sky promises us wine:
There lies the land for which we willingly
Dare everything down here.
Our Homeland which we so deeply
Carry in our hearts.

O Thou above, Whose powerful hand
Leads the nations through the world,
Protect the Luxembourg land
From foreign yoke and threat.
As children Thou already instilled in us all
The spirit of freedom.
Let freedom's sun, which we have known for so long,
Shine for evermore.

Here is a link to the site where I have this information: http://www.kidsweb.at/eu/europunion/hymluxem.htm

And here you can hear the national anthem:
http://www.national-anthems.de/ants-l-n.html

And for those who can play an instrument I have this picture with notes!:)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	noten-lu.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	70114  
Old 12-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Courtier

That is really cool, drimal. Thanks for sharing with us. ;]

I do have a question for you- is the Grand Ducal family well-liked in Luxembourg? I mean, there's no talk of a republic, right?
Just curious!
Lollies!
-Kara-
Old 12-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Nobility

History of Luxembourg royal family

After 400 years of being passed between various European nations, in 1815, following the Napoleonic wars, Luxembourg was declared a grand duchy and presented as a personal gift to King William I of the Netherlands by the Congress of Vienna. Although the duchy retained the legal position of an independent state, William ignored its sovereignty and treated it as conquered territory.

In 1830, Luxembourg supported its neighbour Belgium - which had also been ceded to the Netherlands - in its revolt against the Dutch in 1830. The duchy's ally then claimed Luxembourg for its own, however, although at the end of the day it only managed to secure the French-speaking part of the territory.

Between 1839 and 1867 the remaining Dutch part of the state - the 1,000 square miles which became present-day Luxembourg - was administered autonomously from the Netherlands. It wasn't until the Treaty of London in 1867 that Luxembourg would finally become a sovereign nation.

Luxembourg's current royal family was established in 1890, when, following the death of the Dutch monarch, King William III, without a male heir, the grand duchy passed to Adolf, Duke of Nassau, who became Grand Duke Adolf I. Ruling until 1905, Adolf strengthened the territory's sense of autonomy and national character.

In 1914, Luxembourg was overrun by German troops and remained in that country's grip for the duration of World War I. History would repeat itself during World War II, prompting the royal family to flee and a government-in-exile to be established in London.

Until WWII, Luxembourg had strongly maintained a position of neutrality, but following the cease in hostilities it joined both NATO and the United Nations. Together with Belgium and the Netherlands, it created the Benelux Economic Union in 1944. This would later serve as a model for the European Union, of which the tiny country was a founding member.

Today Luxembourg is ruled by the sixth and current grand duke, Henri, of the House of Nassau-Weilburg, who came to power on October 7, 2000, when his father, Grand Duke Jean, abdicated. And while much of the executive power lies with the prime minister - a grand duke appointee - and his cabinet, the duchy's figurehead remains a powerful and influential figure.

Link where I found this text: http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...g/history.html

A very good link with a family tree and the history of the palace!:)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grouppic.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	71422