Joséphine-Charlotte and Maria Teresa's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She told herself in "A royal family" about how when she told her father about her engagement he rather terrified asked to whom she was engaged too and also his apparent relief when it was to Jean of Luxenburg... and then after finishing the story she chuckled rather dearly.

Judging from that story it doesn't seem like an arranged marriage to me. Maybe arranged in the sense that both JC and J knew from what circles they where expected to find a spouse like it was for most of their royal contemporaries but other than that nothing forced about it. For instance both JCs mother and two aunts all married for love to three princes with Astrid so full of emotions that she spilled tea on Leopold when he visited her parents for the first time and Margareta so visibly in love with her Axel that her mother said they couldn't be trusted to be left alone in a furnished room.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I have ordered the documentary 'Jean', as well as the book from Luxembourg.

In the documentary, it's openly suspected that both, Jean and Josephine-Charlotte had liaisons before marriage and Josephine-Charlotte were pretty desperate about hers. However, no one could say for sure.

I could also imagine that the marriage was arranged (they say it was probably the last politically arranged marriage), but maybe they were for a long time aware of the situation and especially Josephine-Charlotte was able to come to terms with it, after some time.

But without any question, their marriage was full of love and respect. This can be seen. Josephine-Charlotte was very much into filming and Jean was often her main object. What you see in the documentation is pretty clear. They were, after all, a very happy couple.

There is nothing about Maria-Teresa or about their relationship, maybe the book (didn't read it yet) offers some information.

The documentary about Jean is highly recommendable.

Back
Top Bottom