The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 5,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSonatta View Post
That is arguably one of the most absurd thing I have read here. The idea JC is so shallow and spiteful that she would chide people who have problem with their weight especially to people within her own family. There were frictions between MT and JC; I doubt weight problems were it. As for Alexandra and Guillaume's weight problems, I doubt she'll make a big fuss as do some people on royal boards since from all accounts I have read she loved and was very devoted to her grandchildren.
I agree. J-C was crazy about her grandchildren, and seemed particularly proud of Guillaume. I think if she was alive today she would be bursting with pride, especially considering the conduct of some of the other young Royals in comparison.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brooklyn, United States
Posts: 164
Being overweight is no crime however if you love and care much for a relative or friend who is overweight you will be honest and let them know how they look and how you feel about it. I have never had a weight issue but some of the younger members of my family have. Weight is something if not worked on at an early stage will get worse. Women who have given birth several times it is natural for them to get the (spread). Princess Mary of Denmark who have given birth to twins and her sister-in-law Pr. Marie also Pr. Letiza of Spain have done very well to keep their weight down. Can you immagine when Princess Alexandra of Luxemberg give birth to her first child what she will look like?. Look at the picture of her in the gold dress at her brother's wedding (viewing her from the back her body looked like a matured woman) while her mother appeared youthful) Now I know what the Magazine Paris Match or another Mag. was referring to.

Overweight is beyond one's controll while others can work on it and be successful. Grand Duchess Charlotte would not be dirty and spiteful to discuss with her dear and beautiful grand children about their weight, she woulld have done the criticising in a loving way afterall she raised her own children and knew when to put the lock on the refrigerator door. She would have been appalled to hear Reportors of a Magazine having to do this.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nowhere, United States
Posts: 56
I think JC would be more appalled at the amount of criticism a young woman (or in this case her granddaughter) faced from random strangers simply because she isn't stick thin. So Alexandra isn't skinny like she had in the past, who gives a crap. She isn't a young teen anymore, but, a young woman whose body is changing as a results.

And people wonder why so many young women or women have serious eating and self-image problems. It is because people feels the need comments/criticized when someone has gained a little bit of weight or isn't as skinny as she used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-27-2015, 12:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Houston, United States
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
I agree with what you say, I just like to add a small caveat. Stephanie's pedigree is not "somewhat like Princess Diana's," Stephanie leaves Diana in the dust! Remember, Diana's family--while impressive---was ennobled in 1603, while Stephanie's dates back to the 13th century if I'm not mistaken. That is to say, she have four centuries of nobility over Diana!!!
I thought Diana was a descendant of Charles II and therefore from a royal pedigree going back at least to 1066
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 5,908
Diana was indeed a descendant of Charles II...through one of his many, many mistresses. Ditto for Sarah Ferguson, btw. In other words not a legitimate line of descent. And though the Spencers had Royal connections, they did not enter the peerage until relatively late.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:06 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 2,922
Comparing Diana is this thread has nothing to do with.
Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte should have been delighted with the de Lannoy wedding.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 5,908
maria-olivia, something tells me J-C would have been over the moon with the wedding.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 3,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Comparing Diana is this thread has nothing to do with.
Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte should have been delighted with the de Lannoy wedding.
I agree. To illustrate how high the standing of the De Lannoy family was, already in mediaeval times, with the following members being Knights of the most prestigious Order of all, the Golden Fleece:
- Hugues de Lannoy (1384-1456), Lord of Santes
- Guilbert de Lannoy (1386-1462), Lord of Villerval and of Tronchiennes
- Baudouin de Lannoy (1388-1474), Lord of Molembaix
- Jean III de Lannoy (1410-1493), stadtholder of Holland and Zealand
- Baudouin II de Lannoy (1436-1501), Lord of Molembaix, of Solre and of Tourcoing
- Pierre de Lannoy (1445-1510), Lord of Fresnoy, Grand Chamberlain of Emperor Maximilian of Austria
- Charles de Lannoy (1482-1527), Lord of Senzeille, Prince of Sulmona, Count of Asti
- Philippe I de Lannoy (1487-1543), Lord of Molembaix and of Tourcoing, Anserœul and Solre

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Taking in mind that the Order was restricted to a limited number of knights, initially 24 but increased to 30 until 1516, already 8 De Lannoys having designated with this most prestigious Order, before 1500, it shows how respected the family De Lannoy already was, more than 500 years ago.

Another illustrative example: in 1551 Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange (the founder of the Netherlands) married with Anne d'Egmont, Countess of Buren, the sole heiress of her immensely rich father, Maximilien d'Egmont and her most noble mother Françoise de Lannoy. So William of Orange had a De Lannoy as his mother-in-law.

461 years after that another Nassau married a De Lannoy. Maria Olivia is right: Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte, born a Princess of Belgium, would be most delighted with a De Lannoy, belonging to the most respected noble families in the Low Countries.

Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 16,181
I suppose (and hope) that apart from pedigree, which in the Lannoy's case is interesting indeed, there are other qualities in the future GDss that GDss JC may have found positive. If pedigree alone was a requirement she would have had easy relationships with some of her children(-in-law). However, it is known that she was difficult to all of them. Recently a poster at the BRMB said that since the early 90-ties JC was suffering from pains and ills as she underwent various surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation. This may have influenced her mood and behavior.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
. Recently a poster at the BRMB said that since the early 90-ties JC was suffering from pains and ills as she underwent various surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation.
And that she sometimes also had difficulties with Marie Astrid who according to the poster had to endure a lot during that time.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 03-27-2015, 11:50 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 2,922
What with Marie-Astrid ????
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 03-28-2015, 01:12 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 5,908
Yes, what about problems with Marie-Astrid?
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 04-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Baden, Germany
Posts: 80
Okay, this topic was new to me!

If you look at these pictures of JC and Henri, you might not think that they had a bad or cold relationship.

JEAN DE LUXEMBOURG PREPARES SON HENRI FOR THRONE - 0000339180-008 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis
JEAN DE LUXEMBOURG PREPARES SON HENRI FOR THRONE - 0000339180-001 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis
JEAN DE LUXEMBOURG PREPARES SON HENRI FOR THRONE - 0000339180-013 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

I would love to read a biography of the late grand duchess.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 04-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Olyashka's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Joachim of Belgium's Heart, Philippines
Posts: 136
It's my first time reading this forum as I've seen a photo of GD Henri and GDss Maria Teresa on their wedding very recently and I find them soo suitable to each other .. and also I am jealous of their growing love for each other (somebody please give me someone who loves that loyally and truly like GD Henri...)

For me, I believe that JC and MT had that conflict with each other. I think that JC disliked MT because of... feeling some jealousy. She's jealous because she sees in Henri and MariaT how very happy it is to marry the "love of one's life" despite the odds between those 2 people.

That's because (from what I read), she's in love with someone when she was suddenly told to marry GD Jean. And that was a commoner. Yes, she and Jean had a loving relationship but seems like she was not able to recover from the pain she felt when she was told she could not marry the one she loves...only because that man was a commoner. I think when she saw how sweet Henri and MariaT are, she became curious of how was it like if she married the one she really loved back then?

No one knows JC's feelings for Jean, for sure, so I can assume that despite the harmony and love that developed between them over 51 years, I think she still felt a 'lack' inside her. Her life was very happy with her family but there are people who couldn't recover from the loss of chance of being married to one's true love, and I think she's one of such kind.

It's like Jean loved her fully, but she was not able to love him as much as he does. I liken her story to the story of Rose Dewitt-Bukater in the timeless 1997 Titanic movie. Rose's true love died, she married and had her own happy family, but still deep inside, she loved another person who left a permanent void in her heart. The old Ms. Rose says near the end of the film, "The heart is an ocean full of secrets". Like her, it's only JC who knew what she really felt. It's only she who knew her secrets...

...and that jealousy is directed towards MT because she was able to not give up on her love for Henri despite the objections on their love, one thing she wasn't able to do. Aside from that, she also envied MT as she is soo lucky her Henri fought along with her (what a love story and I'm dying of jealousy while writing this!)

I'm saying she's jealous of Henri and MT's story but why dislike only MT? My answer for that is... because he is her beloved son!

oh, I'm just someone thinking a nonsense assumption. Forgive me.

P.S. Sorry for my grammar. My explanation is confusing but I did my best to try to explain my thoughts. Thank you for understanding.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Baden, Germany
Posts: 80
Well, you don't know if she didn't love him fully! She simply appears cold and distant. That's just who she was. That was her character.

Josephine-Charlotte been through a lot in her life. Including losing her mother in an early age, going through war and exile. She also had a not very pleasant relationship with her stepmother, who made her suffer on her wedding day and kind of destroyed everything.

I don't believe she disliked MT because of her love to Henri. Maybe she simply disliked MT because of her nature.

But we don't know. Anyway it's an interesting topic.

If anyone has material of the late Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte, no matter what it is, please let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 04-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 5,908
I completely agree. IF there was bad blood between the two women how do we know it wasn't down to simple chemistry? Maybe they just didn't get along period.

I have always suspected that there was more to that story than what the public knows.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 04-20-2015, 08:20 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 2,922
This story started like this : the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte should have said that her Son the Grand Duke had a love affair with the Lady mayor ??)

Grand Duchess MT with the agreement of her Husband asked the Press to come and told bad thinks concerning her mother in law.

I knew someone of the Press who told me that they were shocked, their visit was unexpected for personal family affairs . A première for the Grand Ducal Court

The reaction from Gand Duke Jean is unknown

This is my last thread , I don't like to write things about a late Person.

I really respect Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 04-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Baden, Germany
Posts: 80
Something about that story isn't correct. Why should a woman of her kind, go out and tell lies about her own son? There is something we don't know, the side of J-C.

I really like and respect Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte. First i read, they sold her jewelry and then that she was an awful woman who tortured her daughter-in-law.

I cannot and will not believe it. She loved her country and family.

And i dislike the fact, that people think she was awful, it was MT who cried for help in public.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Olyashka's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Joachim of Belgium's Heart, Philippines
Posts: 136
Hmm... if we consider that MT's version of the story is not true, why did GD Henri come along with her in the presscon? Why did he allow MT to malign his mother in public?

I am thinking if he believes his mother wasn't the one spreading that rumor, he would have disapproved of MT holding that presscon.

But he was there with his wife. He supported her. He went there knowing what MT would say. He knew it's his mother who MT would talk badly of.

I know lots of this M-I-L vs. D-I-L stories among royals and in common people life. What I noticed is it's most often the MIL who dislikes/loathes the DIL (examples: Empress Maria Feodorovna nee Princess Dagmar of Denmark vs. Empress Alexandra of Russia nee Pcss Alix of Hesse, my father's mother vs. my mother, many to mention). The reasons vary but it all comes down to a simple generalization ... the MIL thinks her son deserves a better woman.

On this story between JC and MT, I will assume it's JC who disliked MT first (despite being the first to give consent to their marriage) given the 'facts' that a crying GD Henri begged her (JC) to stop being harsh to MT (1988), and that he also supported MT on her 'irrational' presscon.

Btw, I am not here to create a dark image of JC or defend MT. It's just that this topic is interesting as what Schatten said. We never may be able to find out about the truth, however, it's fun to investigate and infer from the things we know about them : )

P.S.
'I've found my Prince Charming': Luxembourg's bride on how she fell in love with her fiancé

How would you describe your relationship with the Grand Duchess?

Stephanie: "Very good. I consider myself very lucky. Since my mother died, the Grand Duchess has been very present in my life, and she has been a sort of second mother here in Luxembourg."


Obviously, Stéphanie is very lucky to have a mother-in-law who stands as her second mother

Nevertheless, time will tell whether that relationship will stay or be broken..
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 04-21-2015, 11:58 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 551
Joséphine-Charlotte and Maria Teresa's Relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatten View Post

She also had a not very pleasant relationship with her stepmother, who made her suffer on her wedding day and kind of destroyed everything.



I don't know much about J-C but I found her an absolute doll in the Danish series "A royal family". Very charming and chuckling with delight and mock horror when talking about how Uncle Goggi tried to put his false teeth down her décolletage.

We all know that Liliane was no summers breeze but what happened on her wedding day? Is what happened a rumour or a stated fact?


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grand duchess josephine-charlotte, grand duchess maria teresa, josephine-charlotte, luxembourg royals, maria teresa


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Duke Jean and the late GD Joséphine-Charlotte, Part 2 (April 2005 - ) Alexandria Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg 168 06-15-2015 09:37 AM
P. Maria Laura, P. Joachim, P. Luisa Maria and P. Laetitia Maria FAQ LadyK Princess Astrid, Archduke Lorenz and Family 56 04-21-2015 03:57 AM
Resemblance Between Charlotte and Joséphine-Charlotte bct88 Luxembourg and Nassau Royal History 42 03-29-2014 07:08 PM
Hereditary Grand Duke Jean and Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium 1953 Hannelore Royal Weddings 22 04-11-2013 03:56 PM
Grand Duke Jean and the late GD Joséphine-Charlotte, News 1 (May 2003 - April 2005) Jalmey Current Events Archive 113 04-14-2005 12:12 PM




Popular Tags
best outfit birth camilla carl philip chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess catharina-amalia crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events death denmark duchess of cornwall fashion fashion poll felipe vi funeral general news germany hereditary grand duchess stéphanie infanta leonor king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king philippe king willem-alexander letizia maxima official visit photo session picture of the week president hollande prince carl philip prince daniel prince frederik prince of wales princess alexia (2005 -) princess beatrice princess catharina-amalia princess eugenie princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary style princess mette-marit princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen fabiola queen letizia queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima fashion queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal royal fashion sofia hellqvist spanish royals state visit sweden united states of america victoria wedding willem-alexander


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises