The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-16-2005, 03:47 AM
Nobility

Yes, let's be fair - I'm sure the clothes that Maria Teresa wore had no deeper, spiteful meaning.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

After all, it was such a sad funeral, I don't think MT would have wanted to spite JC.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Nobility

I belive she didn´t wore those coat just to be superior.....please, even if she hated JC, MT was very sad, crying at the funeral, she respected JC.....And, I don´t think that clothes is a way of saying that you´re best then another person...
Old 01-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

She was crying? I didn't see her crying.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Aristocracy

Lightbulb

I think MT had a respect for JC as far as the role of Grand Duchess. I can say that there was tension between the two because of JC conservative views on marriage. JC wanted Henri to marry a blueblood. JC herself was born a blueblood so her reaction to Henri marry a regular girl is not surprising.

JC did at times come across as cold. She and MT did/do alot of charity and humanitarian work. Whether or not MT cried is a guess because most of the pictures are repeats of eachother so you have some 24 pictures and half are repeats. I didn't cry at my uncles funeral so not crying doesn't mean she was upset. I don't think that JC and MT had cat fights on a regular basis but I hope towards the end they made an attempt to bury the hatchet.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 AM
Nobility

She was crying? I didn't see her crying.
Several in attendance were crying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00132296.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	82724   Click image for larger version

Name:	05b.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	82725   Click image for larger version

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	82726   Click image for larger version

Name:	09b.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	82727  

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	82728   Click image for larger version

Name:	51999565.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	82729   Click image for larger version

Name:	51999571.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	82730   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00132276.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	82731  

Name:	pre-SEEGER00132277.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	82732   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00132298.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	82733  
Old 01-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

But she probably wasn't as close to JC as Henri or Jean.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
It's just the 'in-law' myth you know the one how the mother-in-law is suppose to be horrid ^___^
Trust me, I speak from experience.....some Mothers in law are indeed horrible! Just because some one is royal does NOT make them nice to the person 'who is not good enough' for their precious 'baby'. even after that 'not good enough' person has been a great spouse to MIL's 'baby' for decades!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Serene Highness

Isn't it true that a friend of the family set up Henri and MT? So when did she become unsuitable to JC I wonder?

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Commoner

why could nt maria teresa come with the fact that her mother in law dislike her because she's intitle.obviously if she didnt want to be in this mess she should have refuse to marry the grand duke and urge him to marry the kind of woman his parent wish him to marry maria had done nothing wrong except the fact that she's the first cuban woman who enter one of europe monarchy and the fact that her family had to be exile might makes grand duchess cj anxious cause marisa family maybe some foreign fugitive. but i must say grand duke henry was tough because to get your father approval to which a woman everymember of your family were not to accept now that is tough
Old 09-26-2008, 04:27 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
Isn't it true that a friend of the family set up Henri and MT? So when did she become unsuitable to JC I wonder?
It is said that after JC's stroke she changed a bit, also towards MT. But she she is usually discribed as a 'difficult' woman, also before the stroke. She was supposed to be like this to all her children-in-law, not only Maria Theresa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal historian
why could nt maria teresa come with the fact that her mother in law dislike her because she's intitle.obviously if she didnt want to be in this mess she should have refuse to marry the grand duke and urge him to marry the kind of woman his parent wish him to marry maria had done nothing wrong except the fact that she's the first cuban woman who enter one of europe monarchy and the fact that her family had to be exile might makes grand duchess cj anxious cause marisa family maybe some foreign fugitive. but i must say grand duke henry was tough because to get your father approval to which a woman everymember of your family were not to accept now that is tough
As far as I know Josephine Charlotte supported her son in marrying a commoner, she persuaded her husband to accept the union. It was GDss Charlotte who had more doubts but she warmed up to MT later. The relationship between JC and MT was said to be a troubled one, but that has other reasons than that MT was a commoner.
Henri was interested in Countess Catherine de Limburg-Stirum (daughter of Princess Helene of France) but she didn't fancy a future as Grand Duchess.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal historian View Post
Alfonso XIII´s eldest child (a son with the hemophilia problem) married two cuban women, but they did not enter into royalty because with the first marriage he had to resign his hereditary rights.

It is said that mothers-in-law are the main solvent of marriages. In China that problem used to be a real tragedy for women. I ignore how things are now.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Commoner

ok now at the funeral i did nt see grand duchess maria teresa crying all i see is that she was sad unlike the queen of norway ,queen of spain and queen of netherlands these women show more emotion than the grand duchess maria .i think she must had been both sad and happy sad because sha had lost a woman whom shae had know for more than a quarter of century and happy cause all the hated is now gone with the decease
Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
"
re the mink coat of MT at the funeral, strange that considering how her mother in law might have thought her not good enough she chose to wear a status symbol at the funeral, something modest would be more sympathetic. it is not that cold in Luxemburg.
Maria Teresa comes from a VERY wealthy family. She and her family wore fur long before she became a Grand Duchess. In fact, her wedding dress was trimmed with fur, as were the coats that she and her mother wore on the day they took the train to Luxembourg (from Paris?) to meet Henri at the border before the wedding. I have seen pictures of Maria Teresa's sister and sister-in-law wearing fur, along with her grandmother. I don't think MT thinks twice about wearing fur. (BTW, I found Luxembourg very chilly and damp when I visited.)
Old 09-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
As far as I know Josephine Charlotte supported her son in marrying a commoner, she persuaded her husband to accept the union. It was GDss Charlotte who had more doubts but she warmed up to MT later. The relationship between JC and MT was said to be a troubled one, but that has other reasons than that MT was a commoner.
Henri was interested in Countess Catherine de Limburg-Stirum (daughter of Princess Helene of France) but she didn't fancy a future as Grand Duchess.
Apparently, Henri had been very upset about Catherine and JC didn't want to see him upset again. Remember that even though Maria Teresa was not royalty, she was ideal in many ways. She was well-educated, fluent in four languages, and a Roman Catholic. Henri and MT dated for four years before they became engaged and she had no "past." She was from a wealthy family and was raised with the social graces necessary to interact with prominent people. She grew up in a fabulous house (mansion?) in Geneva. (To give you an idea, her parents' house in Cuba is now used as a foreign embassy). She study dance, played tennis and took many ski vacations with her family. In her spare time, she did charity work with the elderly. On top on this, she was very attractive with a beautiful smile and a charismatic personality. Her parents were good friends with a Spanish couple who were also close friends with Josephine-Charlotte, so she was somewhat of a known quantity.

It is not clear what changed JC's feelings toward MT. Some articles have suggested that Maria Teresa was more popular with the Luxembourg people and had an easier time interacting with the public, both of which JC resented. But really, we don't know.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
It is said that after JC's stroke she changed a bit, also towards MT. But she she is usually discribed as a 'difficult' woman, also before the stroke. She was supposed to be like this to all her children-in-law, not only Maria Theresa.
I thought Josephine-Charlotte was always very fond of Sybilla and that she felt very happy with the marriage of his son with Sybilla (a great-granddaughter of King Alfonso of Spain).
Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
It was J-C who actually convinced GD Jean to approve of the marriage (along with Henri's promise to renounce if he wasn't permitted her) between Henri and MT. Whether or not she liked MT on a personal level she certainly didn't try to prevent their marriage. One has to take into account that a the time of J-C's own marriage to Jean she was in love with a tennis player whom she wished to marry. Jean was also said to be in love with another women. They were both royal and it was an arranged marriage. Those tears that J-C was crying at her own marriage were not tears of happiness. J-C actually understood Henri's desire to marry the person he loved and very much supported his right to choose his partner no matter how inappropriate she felt the match was.

I think someone deserves a little room to be difficult after having been forced to marry someone you didn't love while you were so in love with another man. Despite the fact that GD Jean is undoubtedly a good man and made a fine husband and father I am sure that J-C (and probably also Jean) held some resentment toward life and those who were happily married to partners the choose. There is no doubt that J-C and Jean were in love later in their marriage but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
Maria Teresa comes from a VERY wealthy family. She and her family wore fur long before she became a Grand Duchess. In fact, her wedding dress was trimmed with fur, as were the coats that she and her mother wore on the day they took the train to Luxembourg (from Paris?) to meet Henri at the border before the wedding. I have seen pictures of Maria Teresa's sister and sister-in-law wearing fur, along with her grandmother. I don't think MT thinks twice about wearing fur. (BTW, I found Luxembourg very chilly and damp when I visited.)
Indeed, MT's family is said to be wealthier than the Grand Ducal Family.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Nobility

They were civil to eatch other I'm guessing.
The proof is in the picture. (they are talking to each other in the background)
Picture from corbis.com
Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Gentry

well i think henri marriage with catherine oxenberg would have been splendid one and j-c- nerve would have been much calm and happy toward a noble daughter in law and i dislike when princes threaten to give up their place to the throne if they are not allow to marry who they want i believe one should not ask for too much of life and accept what is possible and your fate
Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandlordbenji16 View Post
well i think henri marriage with catherine oxenberg would have been splendid one and j-c- nerve would have been much calm and happy toward a noble daughter in law and i dislike when princes threaten to give up their place to the throne if they are not allow to marry who they want i believe one should not ask for too much of life and accept what is possible and your fate
Well if they have an "heir and a spare" I think it's perfectly fine for a crown prince to renounce his place.

Tags
grand duchess josephine-charlotte, grand duchess maria teresa, josephine-charlotte, luxembourg royals, maria teresa