The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg > Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria
I think she was still quite skinny around 1997/1998, and suddenly packed on weight. No problem there, I'm not a skinny insect myself either. I just find it wee bit inappropriate for her to crawl around and - well - spread her legs when there are cameras present. But I am just conservative that way Even though, it's so hot here right now that it would probably make perfect sense after all.
lisamaria, it looks like she was just doing exercises on the beach (leg-lifts, sit-ups, maybe yoga etc.) and as Prince of Chota said, she didn't know the long lens of paparazzi were snapping pictures. I can only imagine how mortified she must've been when she saw the pics published.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you very much Drimal! You have so much pics, I've never seen. I love that first one, where is Henri with Alexandra and Louis.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Marie Theresa seems to have caught the same affliction many women catch. You hit a certain age and pooof, suddenly you have a new and bigger body.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Great pictures!
Henri and Maria Theresia are a beautiful couple! I love the pictures of their engagement (the first ones posted in this thread) .
Henri is really , really handsome!

Old 09-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat

I wish I knew who Marie Theresa's designer was. They do an amazing job of dressing her. This dress is one of my faves. The way the lines go on it and the light, the flowing material discreetly covering her (rather chubby) upper arms...just gorgeous. It makes her look 10 pounds lighter! It just goes to show, you don't have to be stick thin to look fantastic... as long as the dress is designed correctly.
Its an elie saab dress from his couture spring/summer 2004 collection, picture from vogue.co.uk

Old 09-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

Yeah. GDss just loves Elie Saab. (and me too ) Such great designer. and these dress wore Catherine Zeta Jones too. Have a look on Grand duchess Maria Teresa gala dress thread. you will find more great photos.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Serene Highness

This is one of the best dress I have seen so far for the GD. She looks amazing!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

That dress vaguely reminds me of the silvery one that Diana wore, with the open back. They both have sort of an Egyptian flavor. But it is a lovely choice for the Grand Duchess.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Aristocracy

Maria Teresa has fabulous clothes;she proves that you don't have to be a skinny stick to wear nice designs!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Courtier

MT has packed on the pounds in the last few years. She is very short so each pound is going to show. However, I feel that she needs to rationalize that the designer clothes are made for tall skinnny women. The Elie Saab dress is a joke - adding those wispy fabric "sleeves" to cover the top part of her arms completely destroyed the look of the dress.
I don't know about drinking, but I believe that she is a smoker.
If I had her money and position, I would try to keep the weight down. She doesn't have to cook or even go into the kitchen and that is half the battle.
In so many pictures, she is just clutching Henri. I don't know if he has a wandering eye or not, but there have been rumors.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

IMO, the model on the runway is far too skinny and MT looks beautiful in that dress. I like the cover up on the arms- I think that leg slit would be far too high for anyone to pull off in normal circumstances unless you were a supermodel!
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Aristocracy

The grand duchess is a beautiful woman no matter what her size and I think she knows not to be ashamed because she is bigger than a model, I mean who really thinks that model skinny is a natural look for a woman anyway!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Gentry

The Grand Duchess looks fabulous. I strongly disagree with the idea that to be a successful and proper role model in society, one has to be thin by any means necessary even if it means risking your life to go under the knife for the sake of fitting into a designer's vision, it's deplorable that vanity had taken precedence to health.

Everyone automatically assumes that being skinny means you're healthy and that isn't true. If a person is healthy it shouldn't matter what size of clothes they fit into. It should matter even less itf they're wealthy because they can just pay to have the clothes fit them instead of the other way around.

Both the Grand Duchess and Maxima of the Netherlands (who also carries a few extra pounds) hail from a culture where being getting too skinny can quickly prompt the matriarch of a family to cook enormous amounts of food and make you eat every bite, for us being too skinny is unhealthy.

Most Hispanic mother's tell us that men like a little meat on their bones, MT and Maxima got that down pat and are still glamorous and classy. We should all just focus on that.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Courtier

I am not saying that MT should starve herself to be skinny, but I do not think that a lot of her fashion choices have been flattering.
In the past, she has worn evening gowns in soft flwing fabrics in an Empire design with beautifully draped tops which just cover the tops of her arms. These gowns are stunning on her.
The tight sheath dresses are not flattering. The all white sheath which she wore for ther 25th wedding anniversary Gala was almost embarassing. She almost looked like she couldn't breathe in that dress. She lloked like she was literally stuffed into it. And the camera supposedly adds 10 pounds.
I really think that in her fashion choices she is hit or miss --- there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Gentry

That's her stylist's fault for not making smart choices for her.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Aristocracy

But I think I speak for all when I say she is a beautiful woman.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Aristocracy

Do we know for a fact that she even has a stylist? Perhaps she makes her own choices as to dress. No one is forcing the stuff on her after all- if she thought it was a bad choice I don't think she would wear it.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Courtier

Thumbs up

I agree that MT is a beautiful woman. She's had five children, plus the demands of her position as Grand Duchess, and she always manages to look fabulous in my opinion. I personally prefer to see someone at a healthy normal weight instead of a horrible skeletal stick figure! She has a marvelous complexion and a real flair for dressing appropriately for her age and status.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 AM

The Stylist of MT is "Coiffure Jeanne" in Esch/Alzette
Old 07-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

I was looking at some of the early Maria Teresa pictures taken during her early years of marriage to Henri, pictures of her when she was engaged to Henri and even earlier pictures, when she was a young girl. The common thread in all of these pictures, is that MT was dressed elegantly, yet toned down. What someone would expect of a well-bred, well-to-do young woman from an old family which is precisely what Maria Teresa is. She comes from an old family with lots of money and her form of dressing reflected this. Even in her childhood pictures in Switzerland, one can see this, yet, in her recent pictures, she has started to dress differently. I prefer the way that she used to dress as opposed to her new way of dressing which some might say is a bit garish at times.