Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Current Events 7: May 2014 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On September 13th, GD Henri had an audience with Eduardo Ferro Rodrigues, President of the Assembly of the Portuguese Republic.

Audience de Son Excellence Monsieur Eduardo Ferro Rodrigues, Président de l’Assemblée de la République portugaise - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Septembre 2016

GD Maria Teresa visited refugee families at the center for international protection (DPI) in Dudelange ahead of the new school year.
After the guided tour of the premises of the home, HRH Grand Duchess met in the privacy of families from Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria to discuss their course, their integration in Luxembourg and in particular on the education of children. A young Syrian was proud to propose a short piano recital.
[...]
Like all other Luxembourg children, 33 children and adolescents aged 3 to 16 years accommodated in the center of Dudelange prepare for their return to school. The accommodation center for applicants for international protection, built on the former site of Arbed in Dudelange, opened its doors on 1st March 2016 and currently hosts 74 people, including 13 families and 12 single men.

RTL.lu - Lëtzebuerg - Visite vun der Grande-Duchesse bei Flüchtlingen zu Diddeleng
L'essentiel Online - «Elle se soucie du sort des gens au Luxembourg» - Luxembourg

ETA:
Luxemburger Wort - Luxembourg royal pays visit to asylum seeker centre
Luxemburger Wort - Großherzogin besucht Flüchtlingskinder

Last edited:

I liked watching it very much and thought I would translate the main bits. The video focuses on the preparation of an official dinner at the chateau Berg. The interviewer mentions that the grand duchess is very involved in the preparations and takes care of every detail of such activities.
Firstly we see the duchess meeting up with the chefs asking them to prepare a foie gras for starters, but not to put too much of it as it can be heavy.
She mentions she inherited this taste for welcoming people and coordinating the details for her guests from her mother in law.
Then we see her setting up the table with the silverware and the flower arrangements. We get to see the florists at work. the grand duchess’s dog even makes an appearance for the delight of all the guests.
She’s obviously a perfectionist, the grand duchess then mentions that she thinks there’s too many flowers.
We then get to see the chefs again. The menu has foie gras, filet mignon and vacherin glace. The way it works is that they make some suggestions to the grand duchess about different plates they can make based on the occasion, the season, and then the grand duchess chooses.
the grand duchess comes back to check again the tables and approves. We then see the grand duke, who says he trusts the grand duchess.
The guests then arrive and we see the royal family welcoming them.

Thank you Blog Real and carlota! :flowers:

The castle is lovely and I liked seeing the various portraits and paintings, especially the one with MT and Alexandra.

I was watching the video. Very nice! I love how Maria Teresa is so detailed oriented and she spoke nicely of her late mother-in-law whom we all know had a strained relationship with her. Very nice touch there!

I have a question, I'm not a native French speaker, in fact, my French is pretty bad, so I can't distinguish between accents. For those who are native French speakers, what type of accent does MT speak with? Does she speak with a Swiss accent, since her formative years were lived in Switzerland, or does she Speak with a French accent, or perhaps she still speaks with foreign accent or she has acquired a Luxembourg accent? Can somebody tell me? Thanks!

Last edited:
@Rayarena: HRH the Grand Duchess has absolutely not the Swiss accent. Her French is perfect nevertheless she has a undefined slight accent showing that she is not French. Maybe she worked on her French accent and the result is this. It would be interesting to hear her at the time of her engagement, at this time we could hear her real accent in French. Not anymore.

I liked watching it very much and thought I would translate the main bits. The video focuses on the preparation of an official dinner at the chateau Berg. The interviewer mentions that the grand duchess is very involved in the preparations and takes care of every detail of such activities.
Firstly we see the duchess meeting up with the chefs asking them to prepare a foie gras for starters, but not to put too much of it as it can be heavy.
She mentions she inherited this taste for welcoming people and coordinating the details for her guests from her mother in law.
Then we see her setting up the table with the silverware and the flower arrangements. We get to see the florists at work. the grand duchess’s dog even makes an appearance for the delight of all the guests.
She’s obviously a perfectionist, the grand duchess then mentions that she thinks there’s too many flowers.
We then get to see the chefs again. The menu has foie gras, filet mignon and vacherin glace. The way it works is that they make some suggestions to the grand duchess about different plates they can make based on the occasion, the season, and then the grand duchess chooses.
the grand duchess comes back to check again the tables and approves. We then see the grand duke, who says he trusts the grand duchess.
The guests then arrive and we see the royal family welcoming them.

Her mother-in-law? The lady who was supposedly so mean to her??! You mean she mentioned cruel, snobbish, allegedly racist Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte as an inspiration for gracious manners?

I am certain Maria-Teresa must have been misquoted.:lol::whistling:

Her mother-in-law? The lady who was supposedly so mean to her??! You mean she mentioned cruel, snobbish, allegedly racist Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte as an inspiration for gracious manners?

I know what you mean, its sounds like misquote! :lol: But, on a serious note, I suspect that Maria Teresa wanted to be gracious. Some people accused her of inappropriately airing dirty laundary when she originally complained about Josephine Charlotte and this might be her way of proving that she doesn't hold a gripe against her late mother-in-law. It actually makes M-T look good and is good public relations to show that she can rise above J-C's abuse.

@Rayarena: HRH the Grand Duchess has absolutely not the Swiss accent. Her French is perfect nevertheless she has a undefined slight accent showing that she is not French. Maybe she worked on her French accent and the result is this. It would be interesting to hear her at the time of her engagement, at this time we could hear her real accent in French. Not anymore.

those were my thoughts! i am not a native french speaker, but when i thought about the question posed by Rayarena, your same thoughts came to mind. her french is almost perfect, vocabulary included, but i could hear a very slight international accent. it is not a spanish accent necessarily, it sounds like it is a kind of 'remnant accent' that any non-native speaker of any language has. but i can also tell that she worked hard at having a good level of french, which was probably very good already even when she first met the grand duke.

I know what you mean, its sounds like misquote! :lol: But, on a serious note, I suspect that Maria Teresa wanted to be gracious. Some people accused her of inappropriately airing dirty laundary when she originally complained about Josephine Charlotte and this might be her way of proving that she doesn't hold a gripe against her late mother-in-law. It actually makes M-T look good and is good public relations to show that she can rise above J-C's abuse.

i was surprised too, but if my french doesn't fail me, that is indeed what she said.
maybe it is a bit of PR to masquerade any previous comments on the matter. or maybe the grand duchess, despite a tense relationship with JC, still thinks she learnt some things from her and wanted to publicly recognize this...
i guess then that she is trying to pass on the knowledge to stephanie to take the baton when her turn comes.

I have a question, I'm not a native French speaker, in fact, my French is pretty bad, so I can't distinguish between accents. For those who are native French speakers, what type of accent does MT speak with? Does she speak with a Swiss accent, since her formative years were lived in Switzerland, or does she Speak with a French accent, or perhaps she still speaks with foreign accent or she has acquired a Luxembourg accent? Can somebody tell me? Thanks!

Her accent reminds me the way an american-native relative of mine (living in France for thirty-five years) is speaking.

Lovely video indeed !

On October 27th, GD Maria Teresa and GD Henri met with Dr. Denis Mukwege, a gynecologist native of Bukavu, capital of South Kivu in the Democratic Republic of Congo. He founded and directed since 1999, the Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, treating more than 40,000 victims of violence and genital mutilation. GD Maria Teresa had other events with Dr. Denis Mukwege after the audience.

Luxarazzi: Grand Duchess Supports Dr. Denis Mukwege

RTL.lu - Lëtzebuerg - Masse-Vergewaltegungen als Krichs-Strategie

ETA:
Audience du Docteur Mukwege et conférence à la Philharmonie - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Octobre 2016

Last edited:
Luxarazzi: Grand Duke Henri Attends Cossacks Concert

Luxarazzi: Grand Duke Henri Receives Caves Gales Group

ETA: On November 16th, GD Henri had an audience with Brazilian delegation (Indigenous Missionary Council) CIMI Brazil as part of the 50th anniversary of the Bridderlech Deelen Foundation.

Audience d'une délégation CIMI du Brésil - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Novembre 2016

In the evening, GD Maria Teresa attended the foundation's anniversary celebration and unveiling of its new name: Partage.lu

50ème anniversaire de la Fondation Bridderlech Deelen - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Novembre 2016

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom