Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Current Events 5: June 2006 - Mar 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this family a lot. But for some reason I think this year has taken a toll on Henri because he is looking more than a tad bit old.
He has always been very handsome to me, and he never really seems to have aged any, but in this last set of pictures, he looks very old.
MT looks very pretty. I'm glad that she is growing her hair out a little longer. very flattering to her face.

The latest edition of the Swedish ladies weekly Svensk Damtidning has an article about GD Henri. According to it, he is worried about the low birth rate in Luxembourg and has promised that if any family has five children or more, he will personally become the godfather of the youngest child :flowers: I don't know if the story is true, but I do think it is very charming.

That's is so cute! Anyone know what the immigration laws are in Luxembourg?

Last edited:
lisamaria said:
The latest edition of the Swedish ladies weekly Svensk Damtidning has an article about GD Henri. According to it, he is worried about the low birth rate in Luxembourg and has promised that if any family has five children or more, he will personally become the godfather of the youngest child :flowers: I don't know if the story is true, but I do think it is very charming.
Interesting point, as there are several articles recently on the low birth rates among European Christians, and the resulting changes in demographics and economics (such as their heavily funded government pensions).

lisamaria said:

IIRC, the King and Queen of Belgium do something similar, only they become the godparents of the seventh consecutive son or daughter born to a family.

ETA: see here. Scroll down to the bottom and read "Godchildren".

That's really sweet of GD Henri! :wub:

suturegeisha said:
they become the godparents of the seventh consecutive son or daughter born to a family.

the german Bundespraesident does the same :)

there not will be photos of Christmas of the Luxemburg Royal House? I would like to see them in Christmas

Very interesting point to preserve the population. Does anyone have any idea as to how many godchildren the King and Queen of Belgium have as of now?

Message de Noël de Son Altesse Royale le Grand-Duc (traduction française)

Mes chers concitoyens,
Les fêtes qui sont à nos portes sont des moments de joie et de retrouvailles.
Lorsque l’agitation quotidienne s’apaise et que nos maisons retrouvent le calme, il nous est plus facile de penser à l’année écoulée et de nous demander où nous en sommes aujourd’hui. C’est pourquoi j’aimerais profiter de ce traditionnel rendez-vous pour partager avec vous une réflexion qui me préoccupe tout particulièrement. Je m’inquiète en effet de la distance qui ne cesse de s’accroître entre les individus dans notre société, distance qui, malheureusement, fait peu à peu disparaître l’esprit de solidarité pourtant si indispensable.
Nous avons au Luxembourg des lois et des structures, comme les caisses de maladie et de pension, l’assurance dépendance, qui sont l’expression de la solidarité nationale et dont nous pouvons, dans un certain sens, être fiers.
De même, de nombreuses organisations se mettent au service des plus faibles. Ceci me donne aujourd’hui l’occasion de remercier chaleureusement les nombreux bénévoles qui s’investissent dans ces efforts.
Il demeure cependant que, dans la vie quotidienne, l’égoïsme se fait sentir de plus en plus. Des personnes victimes du destin ou confrontées à de graves problèmes ne trouvent pas toujours le soutien nécessaire. Ne devrions-nous pas, dans cette atmosphère festive, faire preuve de plus d’attention et de respect envers ces personnes ?
C’est surtout pour le Luxembourg, avec ses 40 % de résidents étrangers, que cette recherche d’une solidarité plus étroite me tient particulièrement à cœur. Cette voie vers une cohabitation réussie entre communautés différentes, nous l’avons d’ores et déjà tracée.
En ce moment si unique de l’année, retrouvons-nous, mes chers concitoyens, pour chercher à résoudre les problèmes auxquels nous sommes confrontés, comme :
  • l’angoisse des jeunes, notamment par rapport à leur avenir;
  • la préservation de notre qualité de vie dans un environnement sain et une économie compétitive;
  • les nombreux constats préoccupants relevés dans le rapport de la médiatrice pour les droits de l’enfant;
  • la protection sociale de ceux d’entre nous qui sont dans le besoin.
Ne s’agit-il pas là de sujets qui, tous, devraient nous tenir particulièrement à cœur ?
Je ne voudrais pas omettre de rendre ce soir un hommage particulier à nos résidents étrangers ainsi qu’à tous ceux qui habitent nos régions proches dans la mesure où ils contribuent, au quotidien, ensemble avec mes compatriotes par leur zèle à la prospérité de notre pays.
Vous êtes chaque année toujours plus nombreux à apporter la preuve de votre savoir-faire. Nous savons apprécier votre engagement.
L’année culturelle 2007 constitue une opportunité de choix pour faire rayonner dans toute l’Europe ce « laboratoire luxembourgeois » si emblématique à plus d’un titre, en particulier durant les douze prochains mois consacrés par l’Union européenne à « l’égalité des chances pour tous ».
Mes chers concitoyens,
En ce moment, nous fêtons Noël avec ceux qui nous sont chers. N’oublions cependant pas ceux qui sont seuls. N’oublions pas nos compatriotes qui, à travers le monde entier, participent à des missions de paix et qui, pour cette raison, ne peuvent pas passer ces moments chez eux.
C’est avec courage et détermination que nous devons, tous ensemble, relever les défis des mois à venir. Pour ma part, je ferai tout mon possible pour rester aussi proche de vous que par le passé.
Dans notre tradition, Noël est une fête d’espérance et de paix. C’est dans cet esprit que je vous souhaite à tous, au nom de la Grande-Duchesse, de mon père et de mes enfants, un joyeux Noël et une heureuse nouvelle année.

-------
He is talking about the distance between the people and he thanks those who look after the weak people.
We have to show solidarity with strangers.
We have to think about our environment and the future of our children.
Then he is mentioning that Luxembourg will be Cultural Capital 2007.

I wish the whole Grand Ducal family Merry Christams and a happy New Year 2007.:flowers:

There was no Christmas Card from the GDFamily? Did they ever had done it before?

Virnabrisa2000 said:
This year I have not seen in rtl.lu, the video where the Grand Duke Henri gives its Christmas official statement.

I'm not sure but I think he gave it on 23rd, and that day's Journal is not in the archive :mad: I don't know if you have watched the others, but I have seen his speeches before, and the GD has the nicest voice, very deep. The speech was about solidarity, with not even a hint of anything else - he must have learned from the mayhem his last Christmas speech created.

Virnabrisa2000 said:
A while ago that anything is not known about the Grands Dukes, have not there been any picture neither event?, is it known if there will be some programmed visit of State?, do I hope to be able to see them again soon.
Happy Year 2007

I believe they will visit Belgium in March, around the 20th to 23rd. Also, Sonja and Harald of Norway are celebrating their 70th birthdays this year, with other royal families accompanying them for a cruise up the fjords of the Norwegian coast.

Other news: the new (and for now, only acting) Court Marshal has been appointed. Kasel left the office already in December for "holiday", and his absence is apparenly sparkling some controversy. Read here: http://www.wort.lu/articles/5773518.html

It's really very quite about the Grand Ducal family in the last months.

I have only seen some pics of Grand Duke Henri visiting some events.
Recently he was present when Romano Prodi visited Luxembourg.

I haven't seen or heard about Grand Duchess Maria Teresa or the children since ages ... hope everything is okay with them.:ermm:

The sudden sold of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte's Jewels (they need alot of money soon was the reason) the rumours turning around Maria Teresa being in Paris ...

I believe that the auction was cancelled after a public outcry. So they must not have needed the money as desperately as the media said.

Well, it is much easier to divide the inheritence when it just consists of money of course. Just split it into 5. Now they are stuck with all these jewels while some of them might prefer hard currency. Prince Jean and his wife have little use for these jewels for example.

I hope Henri will pay the others out so the entire jewel collection of JC will stay in the main line.

pianohabebi said:
Luxembourgroyals.web-log.nl has a picture of the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess visiting a homeless shelter on their anniversary (February 14) in Esch-sur-Alzette.

Romantic... :flowers: I find the concept of a homeless shelter in the richest country in the continent interesting; apparently the divide between the rich and the poor is huge in Luxembourg.

A new Place Royal tonight - but it only has clips from the documentary about the descendants of the Danish King Christian (Grandfather of Europe), which you have probably already seen. If not, watch it, it is pretty amazing - GD Josephine-Charlotte gave her only interview ever in that doc, and comes across as a very interesting person!

They are now in Norway for the birthday celebrations of King Harald.

Thanks for the pictures, I was thinking about them too:flowers:

There's another image of MT for pic 5.

I like the color of her dress for the birthday ball. It really does suit her coloring well. And the fabric looks perfect for her body shape. I love the third pic it's like she can never get enough of just looking at him.:wub:

I'm a sucker for emerald green so I love MT's dress. I think she looks fantastic-and how cute to still be starry-eyed after 26 years of marriage to the same guy!:flowers: :wub: ;) Sweet pictures.

n the page: luxembourgroyals.web-log.nl /, there are pictures of the Grands Dukes and of the Grand Duchess María Teresa with Gabriel, is some fantastic pictures, but I don't find of of where they are to be able to have them, if you know of where they are and you can put the exact linck he/she would thank it to you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom