Grand Ducal Couple's Silver Wedding Celebrations: June 30-July 1, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lula said:
They are of the second class in comparison with the guests who are absent, with Kings and inheritors of reigning Monarchies, are not of the second class if you compare them with the not reigning monarchies.

The Princes of Asturias were in visit deprived in Jordan in a party previous to the wedding of the Prince Hashem, a few months ago. They have been recently in Palermo to inaugurate the Institute Cervantes, this month they travel to China and Israel. It without the times tell that the Princes has crossed the Atlantic Ocean for the changes of government in Latin-American countries (stillthere will be several trips like that this year). If besides you bear in mind that Spain is a country much bigger than Belgium or Holland (really Belgium and Holland you join they are smaller than only Andalucia), for example, and that the Princes travel from a extreme to other one from the country every week .... I assure you that they have travelled very much, for all their activities out of Madrid they must use helicopter or plane (This week they will travel to Murcia, Zaragoza, Cadiz and Valencia ... every trip approximately 1 hour in plane)

Lula...perhaps you misunderstand me or I didn't make myself clear. I do check out the SRF threads and I do know that Felipe and Letizia are very busy in Spain and Latin America (more so Felipe) representing their country. And yes, they did attend the royal wedding in Jordan but very little outside of that. And I do recognize that a lot of the most recent celebrations (Sweden & Thai Kings Birthday) Queen Sofia attended. I hate to make comparisons...but if you look at Mathilde/Phillipe and William/Maxima you don't see them outside of Spain a lot. In this very thread there was a lot of speculation and disappointment when they didn't show.

lis said:
I hope they release an official photo
I'm with you on that point lis. It would be a great photo to see.

I do like Elena's dress. Red seems to be a very pretty color on her.

The monarchies are hierarchic ... the first ones are the Kings, later the Princes Inheritors and later the rest. And the Royal Families have it very clear, all their members know which is their place.

It is not a question of being of the first or second class, is a question of which it is a hierarchic organization, and the more above you are the more importance have.

In any act of the monarchy the protocol organizes for the hierarchic, first order the Kings, second the Princes Inheritors, later the rest ... later the not reigning monarchies. The Kings of Sweden are before that the Danish and these Princes before that the Princess Anne, and this one before that the Bulgarian Princes.

Like if many kings go they is in the habit of organizing by their antiquity in the throne. And because of it the King of Thailand is not better not worse than that of Norway, only he goes more years in the throne.

I agree, Zonk. When you look at F&L, they really don't get together with other royals and that includes most definatley outside of Spain. And as for the other royals, they all travel out of their respective countries and we expect to see them at those out of coutry events.

There seems to be a good deal of hand-wringing about who did or did not attend the gala event on Saturday night. Might I suggest everyone take a deep breath?

After all, we don't even know at last who was in attendance. For example--although they have appreared in no photos from Saturday night, I find it hard to believe that Fred and Mary stayed in town just to hang out in their hotel room--because according to posters on this thread they appear to have been officially designated by their agenda to be in town until Sunday.

And honestly--it's not the end of the world if someone did or did not go. It's a private party to celebrate a wedding anniversary. That's all. It's not an earth shattering event folks; it's not a diplomatic obligation as some royal weddings are.

Nice pictures and nice dresses, but at the end of the day, isn't it just a private party?

Just a notice, don´t want to add fuel to the fire: I just watched the news at RTL Luxembourg. They showed the arrival of the persons we already saw in the pics (=the Luxembourg’s, the Belgians, Princess Anne, the Greeks etc.). As far as I understood (had some difficulties with the language), there was no hint given that some guests are already inside the castle. They did not mention the King and Queen of Sweden, Beatrix, Maxima, Mary, Frederic, etc.

Maria Teresa and Alexandra just as Mathilde looked even better in TV than on the photo’s.

@ Lula: relax nobody accused Felipe and Letizia of being lazy!

Last edited:
thank for the pictures, but which are the link of PPE and DPA ? please

1. That the princes of Asturias do not travel abroad? then the trips that have done do not mean anything for you, single because are not celebrations? I did not know that to go to a celebration was more important that to inaugurate an institute cervantes.:rolleyes:

2. The acts that they have in the country have more priority than an act abroad. We only can see the agenda of them; in order to see that they do not stop to go from a place to another one. That it is in the country? then they are not princes of Spain? and if they before require them in some act here because they go; before to leave outside. :)

3.The norms in Spain are different that in another country; we have already said that if the king goes, the prince can not go; to not being an important case. That is so difficult to understand?:confused: and if the real house decides that goes the kings and not them princes; that does not decide the princes.

4.In addition seeing as is the policy in Spain; then it is normal that they dedicate more to acts in the country.

5.The one that they have gone or no; it is not confirmed. Still all the photos have not left and on all those that that seems they attended; and until there is not a confirmation, I do not see because speculate.

Thank u everyone for the pics, but I am wondering how come there's only one pic of Prince Hamzah and Princess Noor of Jordan, pls anyone if u find any new pics for them and u post them ?
Thank u again everyone and congrats:)

it's a real shame that many of the 'important' and most expected royals weren't there. i'm quite curious to know what happened. perhaps there was another entrance? it's suspicious that so many royals were missing whose names were in the official list.

i feel quite sorry for the grand dukes and the grand ducal family, who always attend the events of other royals, no matter where they take place... they should have got the same this time.

I think that princes of Asturias have more important things to do, that go to a party and show their cloth and pretend to be nice, they are original people.
I love them for that.

catango said:
I think that princes of Asturias have more important things to do, that go to a party and show their cloth and pretend to be nice, they are original people.
I love them for that.

what more important things could they be doing? Its not like we saw them anywhere else this weekend. Your comment makes them sound like snobs..like they're better than the other royals.

I want to give the royals who didnt go the benefit of the doubt. They probably had good reasons for not going. But the Asturias couple bothers me a little bit b/c they show little interest in going to royal gatherings abroad and I think its a little disrespectful on their part.

Last edited:
I didn't say that, but go to a party isn't the important thing in this life. for god sake.

catango said:
I love them for that.
Well all the royals took their time of for two days to attend the wedding of Felipe and Letizia, (a wedding that was crammed up in another royal wedding in one of the busiest months for the european royals) Also the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess and their son was there both days, so it would be nice to pay their respects back to a couple that has accomplished 25 years of marriage ( a much bigger reason to celebrate than a wedding theese days IMO, anyone can get married, not everyone makes it to 25 years). Saying that they are so much busier and have so much more important things to do than all the other royals is quite rude IMO.

However I still belive they were there, there are to many royals missing who is supposed to be there, Frederiks calendar lists that he is there until Sunday, so what did he do saturday night, sit in the Hotel and twiddle his thumbs, ofcourse not. Same with Beatrix, WA and Maxima, they dont publish untruths on the official web.

So unless someone can present some proof that they were not there maybe we should belive the palace spokesperson and all the royal agendas who lists them as beeing there, that is way more credible than various royal board speculations IMO

Last edited:
I can't imagine that Beatrix, Carl-Gustav, Sylvia, Haakon, Felipe, Letizia, Mary, Frederik, Maxima and Willem-Alexander ALL cancelled (didn't see the old Grand Duke either).
I suspect they were preparing a surprise for the GD and GDss. When all the guests were inside the 10 of them jumped out of an enormous cake and started karaoke, dressed up as the surpremes and the village people.

carlota said:
i feel quite sorry for the grand dukes and the grand ducal family, who always attend the events of other royals, no matter where they take place... they should have got the same this time.

I hate to say it, and I think some of you might take offense at my commentary, but in some ways Royalty is like celebrity--fairly or unfairly, some have more "cache" than others and it generally has nothing to do with the actual people, rather the specific countries they represent. Prince Charles avoids 95% of all royal events outside Great Britain, but he'll always be the most desired guest (after his mother of course) simply because he is the Prince of Whales--and one could argue that his limited appearances abroad at these kinds of events only serves to increase his "cache".

That may not be nice for people like the Grand Duchal family, but it is what it is.

That's why I was pleased to see Princess Victoria did not attend this event--she was becoming a bit of the official seat warmer at royal gatherings, and as a Crown Princess in her own right (and of a universally admired country at that) she shouldn't be relegated to such a position.

Marengo said:
I can't imagine that Beatrix, Carl-Gustav, Sylvia, Haakon, Felipe, Letizia, Mary, Frederik, Maxima and Willem-Alexander ALL cancelled (didn't see the old Grand Duke either).
I suspect they were preparing a surprise for the GD and GDss. When all the guests were inside the 10 of them jumped out of an enormous cake and started karaoke, dressed up as the surpremes and the village people.
That's very funny--thanks for the levity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I think we’ve gone a bit too far. I cannot understand why so many people here have problems with the fact, that there are no pictures of Felipe and Letizia. You put way too much energy in this discussion. First you suggest they are hidden in the palace and if that does not work you suppose they have more important things to do. I think you have to find another way to manage your disappointment. It´s simply unfair to blame those, who did attend as party-hoppers or second class royals. This is way too much. So relax.

And yes it´s a sign of respect to attend this silver wedding since the grand ducal couple celebrated Felipe´s and Letiza´s wedding too.

P.S. Let´s hope Prince Radu put his famous Digi-Cam into his pocket to end all the speculations.

lucys said:
I hate to say it, and I think some of you might take offense at my commentary, but in some ways Royalty is like celebrity--fairly or unfairly, some have more "cache" than others and it generally has nothing to do with the actual people, rather the specific countries they represent. Prince Charles avoids 95% of all royal events outside Great Britain, but he'll always be the most desired guest (after his mother of course) simply because he is the Prince of Whales--and one could argue that his limited appearances abroad at these kinds of events only serves to increase his "cache".

That may not be nice for people like the Grand Duchal family, but it is what it is.

That's why I was pleased to see Princess Victoria did not attend this event--she was becoming a bit of the official seat warmer at royal gatherings, and as a Crown Princess in her own right (and of a universally admired country at that) she shouldn't be relegated to such a position.

Well, I agree basically. I just think, that it wouldn´t have been bad for Victoria to appear, after all she had an extremely low profile (to say it the most friendly way) spring...and a little bit of Royal work wouldn´t have hurt...well, strawberry harvest has just started in Sweden, hasn´t it? :rolleyes:

I´m sorry to say that, but I´m not pleased with excuses on the repeated abstinence of the Asturias couple. After all the church was jam-packed at their wedding...and it surely wasn´t for all fun to follow this looooong catholic ceremony.
And usually they have also no problem to leave their daughter at their nanny. Europe got "little"...a short flight and you are everywhere. So I hope next time they will go...even though a "bath" in a crowd of Spanish Abuelas is probably nicer than a duty abroad, where you can just take a back seat...

Needless to say, that writing "Fredag 30. juni 2006 - Søndag 2. juli 2006" in the official calendar and then not to attend the celebration on the 1st isn´t better.
Well, I´m still hoping I´m wrong and that the weekly mags will have pictures. But for the case I´m not, this would be my nagging about the situation ;)

Nonetheless the whole celebrations were nice. Thanks to all, who have posted pictures! With the exception of some certain black dressed lady (Well, even that was something...at least a statement...against...whatever ;)) the Ladies were dressed wonderful and the actual reason for these festivities, namely the Luxembourgian couple and their lovely children (boy, Alexandra has grown!) has showed us again, that they are a wonderful close family!

Was Tessy (don't know if the spelling is right) there? I haven't seen her anywhere in the pictures.

thanks for pics!

CP Mathilde looks so lovely dress but i would agree with posts because CP Mathilde would really as Princess Classic half black and half white well done,Mathilde! but Mathilde always good stylish!

but im sure Royals ladies really looks good on stylish on evening clothes and daytimes clothes also but i would agree with posts about HM Queen Slivia's outfits with pants but dont blame her but she chose outfits for attend fesitivies.

Grandduchess looks nice evening dress with white dress and gold dress both looks so lovely and more glorious of GD M-T but she always still as stylish lots!

Because continue discussing and affirming that mainly the princes were not when others do not appear either in any photo when it assumes that also they have attended? wait for morning so that leave more photos and the officials and some articles and soon will be able to say that were or no.

rchainho said:
isabel de heredia, duchess of braganza is gorgeous.

In did she is... if my contry become a mornaqui we gona have a very beutiful queen :D

Princess Mary don't go to the long dress ball??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so dissapointed we were not able to see Mary, Letizia, Máxima, Felipe, Frederik, Willem-Alexander and Haakon at the gala dinner :(

I think the most appropriate description of Princess Kalina would be that she looks like something out of Star Wars ;)

Larzen said:
Saying that they are so much busier and have so much more important things to do than all the other royals is quite rude IMO.

I agree Larzen. I think that in every country those responsible for setting the agendas of their respective royals would say that the activities scheduled for their kings, queens, princes and princesses are important in representing the interests or social agenda of their people. It's not fair to say that the Princes of Asturias have an agenda in Spain that is more important than the agenda of the Princes of Orange or the Crown Princely couples of Belgium or Denmark.

And as other members have stated, this wasn't merely a party. True, that it was an opportunity for Felipe and Letizia to pay back Henri and Maria-Teresa and their son Guillaume for attending their wedding, but it was also an opportunity for Felipe and Letizia to relax and socialize with their counterparts.

Their jobs are unlike those had by others and Frederik and Mary, Haakon, Phillippe and Mathilde can provide insight into their roles and jobs like no one else can. Although the expectations are different for each of the Crown Princely couples, there are common threads and its an opportunity for these royals to bond.

Consider previous royal gatherings such as the Norwegian King and Queen's joint 60th birthday celebrations a few years ago. Over those few days it was clear that the queens and kings from the various monarchies were friendly with each other by how they socialized and interacted with each other in the pictures we saw. Or consider the traditions of the current queens, such as Margrethe and Sonja skiing together during the winter months or Margrethe paying Elizabeth II a visit whenever she is in London to do her Christmas shopping.

In 20, 30 years from now will we see similar pictures or hear of similar traditions by the current crown princes who would be queens? Or will we see the same bond that Beatrix and Sofia share?

I think the agenda of the Princes of Asturias is important, but so was this occasion. It's not as if these parties happen every week or that this couple has a 25th anniversary every night. I think that whatever their agenda, this occasion was an important part of it.

I still believe that those MIA royals were there at the gala. Could it be that there's another entrance to the palace?

planetcher said:
I still believe that those MIA royals were there at the gala. Could it be that there's another entrance to the palace?

Or it could simply be that a lot of those MIA royals just didn't get as much media spotlight as everyone else did. It does seem that with each news/ press group there are curtain royals that get more attention because the news/press groups feel that their customers would rather see them than the other royals.

Alexandria,

I think you're absolutely right.

This event was important for Felipe and Letizia. As crown princess they need to socialize with the CPs of other nations.

I understand they've recently had some very busy weeks but they never attend any events hosted by other royal families. The only event I can remember them attending was the Jordanian wedding back in 2004.

Alexandria said:
I agree Larzen. I think that in every country those responsible for setting the agendas of their respective royals would say that the activities scheduled for their kings, queens, princes and princesses are important in representing the interests or social agenda of their people. It's not fair to say that the Princes of Asturias have an agenda in Spain that is more important than the agenda of the Princes of Orange or the Crown Princely couples of Belgium or Denmark.

And as other members have stated, this wasn't merely a party. True, that it was an opportunity for Felipe and Letizia to pay back Henri and Maria-Teresa and their son Guillaume for attending their wedding, but it was also an opportunity for Felipe and Letizia to relax and socialize with their counterparts.

Their jobs are unlike those had by others and Frederik and Mary, Haakon, Phillippe and Mathilde can provide insight into their roles and jobs like no one else can. Although the expectations are different for each of the Crown Princely couples, there are common threads and its an opportunity for these royals to bond.

Consider previous royal gatherings such as the Norwegian King and Queen's joint 60th birthday celebrations a few years ago. Over those few days it was clear that the queens and kings from the various monarchies were friendly with each other by how they socialized and interacted with each other in the pictures we saw. Or consider the traditions of the current queens, such as Margrethe and Sonja skiing together during the winter months or Margrethe paying Elizabeth II a visit whenever she is in London to do her Christmas shopping.

In 20, 30 years from now will we see similar pictures or hear of similar traditions by the current crown princes who would be queens? Or will we see the same bond that Beatrix and Sofia share?

I think the agenda of the Princes of Asturias is important, but so was this occasion. It's not as if these parties happen every week or that this couple has a 25th anniversary every night. I think that whatever their agenda, this occasion was an important part of it.

Back
Top Bottom