The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Albert II and Queen Paola

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Aristocracy

I seem to have to write myself a card when I am in Brussels next oktober

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann View Post
Voila: The stamp already arrived…
http://img177.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_402lo.jpg
(belga)

Lovely picture! You can also see it at the BRF homepage [cv Queen Paola] I didn't know that it was made by the King himself but I loved it the moment I saw it there.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

The 800 guests are people who are professional of volutary involved with childern in difficulties. Organisation occupy with the disappearance or the sexual abuse of childern and organisations who help childern with needs. " As honorary chairwoman of Child Focus it is the will of the queen to chose these people as target group", so a speaksperson of the royal palace.

On the day of her birthay, 11 september, there is no official event planned. The queen will cut her cake in private.
There is no intervieuw planned.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanievl View Post
On the day of her birthay, 11 september, there is no official event planned. The queen will cut her cake in private.
There is no intervieuw planned.
Wel ,as it is Queen Paola's birthday, it is her business how she likes to celebrate it.
I wish her a nice day with a good cake, many flowers, the presents she hopes for, much fun, and that her grandchildren have made many drawings for her her for instance.

But! All what is done around it, all attention that is given on it by the media etc., that is a plus and fun for me!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't think the Belgian RF ever does interviews, with the exeption of one Queen Fabiola gave to a radiostation in the 80-ties. The same goes for Spain and even GB (apart from Charles and Diana).
Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Paola gave an intervieuw when she became 65! Mathilde recenly did an intervieuw about breastcancer on the Belgian television. It happens that they do intervieuw but it is more uncommen!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Really? I always thought the policy of the Belgian court was not to grant any interviews at all. But now you mention it, I remember the breast cancer interview indeed. The interview with Queen Paola should have been interesting, perhaps they will show some clips from that in the Paola documentairy of VTM, as I haven't seen it.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Aristocracy

I think the documentary 'the voice of the queen', made by Jan Becaus on 'één' is mentioned here. The queen talks to friends instead of giving a real interview. It was made very professional and nice to watch.

I can't remember Paola gave an interview for her 65 anniversary...

BTW: Philippe gives interviews all the time when he is on economic mission. Of course you never get to know something from his personal feelings or thoughts... (exept the interview with Van Raak in China about Vlaams Belang, which the prince won't do again)

It's sad the whole royal family thinks an interview is torture, they realy don't like it. A pitty, they could be more accepted if they did. It would shut the rumours down...
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Serene Highness

I suppose the Luxembourg RF will attend for this celebration since they are very close?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that is a fairly reasonable assumption, given that they are married into each other. And they seem to be very friendly and close to each other!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

If they would attend the celebration on September 2nd I would assume either the Belgian or the Luxembourg website would mention that (though I am not sure if the Grand Ducal family has the agenda on a website). But it is likely that Paola will give a private party for family and friends which will be attended by some Luxembourg relatives too. Personally I would like to see GD Jean again.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha-louise View Post
I think the documentary 'the voice of the queen', made by Jan Becaus on 'één' is mentioned here. The queen talks to friends instead of giving a real interview. It was made very professional and nice to watch.

I can't remember Paola gave an interview for her 65 anniversary...

BTW: Philippe gives interviews all the time when he is on economic mission. Of course you never get to know something from his personal feelings or thoughts... (exept the interview with Van Raak in China about Vlaams Belang, which the prince won't do again)

It's sad the whole royal family thinks an interview is torture, they realy don't like it. A pitty, they could be more accepted if they did. It would shut the rumours down...

Queen Paola did give a writen interview for her 65 anniversery. She agreed to answer questions from journalists of several papers, they had to send them in writing to the palace and they got the answers back on paper. These answers had to be to disposal to all media.

The whole interview in Dutch kan be found here:
http://www.gva.be/dossiers/-k/koningshuis/actua2000/actua183.asp

In the interviews to announce the documentary 'the voice of the queen', Jan Becaus told that Queen Paola was willing to give an interview, but the 'entourage' said: "No madam, that is not possibel". Queen Paola seemed not very pleased with that advice but she folowed it. So this nice documentary maybe wasn't the first option, but it has appeared a great solution after all in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Why wouldn't they advice her to do an interview? Though I have to say that the television portrait was lovely too.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Nobility

My birthdate is the day before hers, COOL.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

´Het Nieuwsblad´ had a nice interview with somebody who is attending the birthday celebration of Queen Paola. The article can be found here (Dutch only)
Old 08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

I kind of think it's better that the Queen doesn't have to do an actual sit down interview. I mean there are plenty of ways for Belgium to cover the story and look at the past 70 years of her life by doing documentaries or other types of features on her. I think it kind of adds mystery and charm to royalty when they aren't constantly granting interviews. Besides Belgium has some political problems right now doing an interview could be awkward.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann View Post
The Flemish broadcaster will air a TV documentary on Queen Paola (VTM Royalty: "Koningin Paola 70", 09/09, 17:55). Most likely the programme will be online afterwards.

The documentary highlights her life as queen, how she managed the complete turnaround in her life after Baudouin´s death and her deep consternation during the Dutroux scandal. There will be interviews with confidents: e.g. on Paola´s youth with the Marchionesses Antonella, Giovanna and Emanuela San Martino di San Germano (close relatives), or with a paparazzi who follows Paola since the late 1950ties.
VTM revealed some details about the persons who have been interviewed for the documentary on Queen Paola:
- Marchionesses Giovanna, Antonella and Emanuela San Martino di San Germano, daughters of Paola´s sister Maria Christina and very close to Paola.
- Donna Claudia Ruffo di Calabria: daughter of Paola´s brother Antonello.
- Rino Barillari, aka "King of Paparazzi"
- Mariana Poswick: school day friend and daughter of Prosper Poswick, Belgian ambassador to the Vatican from 1957 tot 1968. She witnessed the first meeting of Albert and Paola in Italy.
- And Luisella Maria Capasso, Countess Arcangela di Sanbuy and Princess Maria Camilla Pallavicini also school day friends of Paola.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Good grief, the names of those people. I want to take the first flight to Rome while even just reading them!

Thanks for the info Johann, it seems that it will be a rather interesting programme.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

I would like to send a card to Paola wishing her a happy birthday, but I'm a little confused about where to send it. According to monarchie.be, this is how I should address the envelope:

Royal Palace
Department Petitions
Rue Bréderode 16 Brederodestraat
B-1000 Bruxelles - Brussel

Should I put "HM the Queen" somewhere so they know who the card is for? Thanks!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks Stephanie. It seems the King and Queen sat down to some sort of interview, they are on chairs in a cricle with cameras around the, Do yo have any idea what it was? It also seems that Paola made a little speech.

Nice to see the small Belgian royals again btw.

Tags
birthday, birthday celebration, queen paola