The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Albert II and Queen Paola

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Although I like Albert a lot, this request seems rather out of touch. His salary has been based on the salary of the present king and queen as duke and duchess of Brabant. They were able to manage (and had four children to support), why wouldn't Albert and Paola?

I don't know where the king spends his money on, but 900.000 should be enough for a (free) house, some travelling here and there, a secretary and a cleaning lady. The press says that the main issue are his holidays btw. Even if his income doesn't cover his costs: that happens to many/most retired people, who sadly need to turn to their savings to cover the gap between their pension and costs. However, Princess Beatrix gets 1.413.000 euros of which 947.000 euros is for ´functional costs´. If the costs of the king are simular, thta means that his dotation doesn´t even cover his expenses for his function completely and it doesn´t cover his private expenses at all.

It is a pity that Albert is getting in the way of his son like this, who is doing a good job at the moment, he even seems to have found a way to neutralize the loose cannon of the family (Laurent). The obsession of the public with other people´s money makes this issue rather sensitive.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:35 AM
Nobility

And you also have to add that issue with the property they are building in Namur and one wonders if they are actively trying to sabotage their son or they are just being their usual utterly selfish selves ¬¬

Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I find King Albert's request for more funds puzzling. He is privy to complex workings in the government and internal situation. Given the attempts to reduce all expenses associated with the royal family and a gloomy economic situation in Europe, King Albert should not expect the government to be accommodating. Hopefully this request will not reflect on King Philippe's image.
I completely agree with you. It is a completely inappropriate request.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
And you also have to add that issue with the property they are building in Namur and one wonders if they are actively trying to sabotage their son or they are just being their usual utterly selfish selves ¬¬
Wasn't that blow out of proportion a bit? I believe that even the local people said that the Queen actually dropped by in person and was willing to take their suggestions seriously. I understand that she wants a higher fence for privacy and security issues. There was a simular problem for the fence of Beatrix castle, which was also much more visible than villagers hoped it would be.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Aristocracy

It really puzzles me that Albert thought he will get away with this. During their weekly meetings the Prime Minister for sure informed him on the budget cuts his government had to perform. And only this January Albert had to deal with Fabiola's financial adventures, openly criticized her and agreed with the reduction of her dotation. And now this?
What also disappoints me is that he did all this behind Philippe's back. It's disrespectful, especially since there's the Delphine case already. I really hope Albert is a teamplayer from now on.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The King of Belgium says his £770,000 a year allowance, handed to him after he abdicated in July, is not enough to live on.
But Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo said there would be no negotiations and the money paid to King Albert II would remain the same.
'The government is not going to change one comma' of the accord thrashed out earlier this year on annual payments to the royal family, he said.
Read more: King of Belgium says he cannot live on £770,000 a year as government rules out increasing his allowance | Mail Online
Old 11-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand my former King. He knew that Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo would refuse. Himself said that each Belgian have to make restrictions !
Old 11-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Indeed! I keep hoping that something was lost in the translation here. I cannot accept that the King is really this stupid and selfish.

I can't help feeling a bit sorry for Philippe. He seems to be doing a great job so far, but it's going to be a looong uphill struggle for him!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Wasn't that blow out of proportion a bit? I believe that even the local people said that the Queen actually dropped by in person and was willing to take their suggestions seriously. I understand that she wants a higher fence for privacy and security issues. There was a simular problem for the fence of Beatrix castle, which was also much more visible than villagers hoped it would be.
One thing is a castle or a royal villa and another buying a property next to neighbors, try to make a massive fence there.
It might not be such a big deal but every single little thing she and Albert come up with is directly or indirectly affecting Philippe's reign and is better that either they start helping or keep a very low profile and stop demanding more than they were given.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Courtier

I have often wondered if Albert was somewhat a bit jealous of his son, he seems like he never really got along with Phillip. Could this be a ploy of his to try to make things more difficult for his son? And I get the feeling that perhaps Albert is regretting giving up the throne........could be his ego is in the way and he can't face getting older. He to me is a disgrace to the people, he is no better then those that have 1 one hundredth of what he lives on and they make do. He is looking like a really selfish greedy old man right now and this does not make him look well in the eyes of the people. Then I wonder, does he really care what the people think of him........asking for this raise, no he doesn't give a darn.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Administrator

That is actually more or less what is written in a biography about Philippe by Barend Leyts et all. They claimed that the relationship between father and son has always been frosty and that Albert II & the clique of senior courtiers actively tried to prevent Philippe from getting more responsibilities etc.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

It is sad to read about frosty relationship between King Albert and his eldest son. At the same time, King Albert voluntarily abdicated and should enjoy his retirement and allow his successor to do his job.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Courtier

I dont have much info about belgian royals, but read somewhere that Philippe was practically raised by Baundoin and Fabiola, and is more close to them than his real parents...Is that true?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I have read in several books about the BRF that when it became clear that Baudouin and Fabiola would not have children of their own(Fabiola's final miscarriage was in 1968, when Philippe was about 8 years old) the Royal couple began to draw the boy more and more into their lives, as it was obvious that he would be Baudouin's heir.

He was seen as sensitive, painfully shy, awkward and devout, and he eventually married a woman who was more socially adept and who made him extremely happy....just like his uncle Baudouin.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Commoner

IMO Phillipe and Mathidle have brought a freshness to the Belgian Monarchy which was lacking druing the reign of his father. they bring no scandals to their reign and I belive they will be a better king and Queen. Albert should just retire gracefully but he probably needs the extra money to pay off Delphine????
Old 11-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Nobility

And Albert might be doing this out of spite since Philippe is doing really well in polls and people are in general having a good opinion of the beginning of his reign?
I wouldn't put it past him, he's always been a very selfish person and never truly cared for his children (Paola wasn't the mother of the year either).
Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

3 loneless Children , for Christmas no Albert and no Paola at home !

Their Children even Prince Laurent succeeded nice family lives .

When I see King Philippe now being such a unexpected good King , his father never helped him as Crown prince
When I see Queen Mathilde smiling everywhere , Queen Paola was a very lazy Queen with good and many bad days.
To-morrow 15/11 we will see for the first time since 31 July the former King at the King's Feast.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Aristocracy

this really is saddening, Reading about all this.
I am not a belgian, but I think that Philippe and Mathilde are too good and lovely to be harmed by these actions.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
3 loneless Children , for Christmas no Albert and no Paola at home !

Their Children even Prince Laurent succeeded nice family lives .

When I see King Philippe now being such a unexpected good King , his father never helped him as Crown prince
When I see Queen Mathilde smiling everywhere , Queen Paola was a very lazy Queen with good and many bad days.
To-morrow 15/11 we will see for the first time since 31 July the former King at the King's Feast.
That's actually quite surprising, their children haven't made the same mistakes Albert and Paola did, they married very nice people who have helped them every step of the way, for example Laurent has had his fair share of scandals but nothing in terms of cheating on Claire (he's not THAT stupid and you can see that he loves her deeply) or being a negligent father, history isn't definitely repeating itself on them
Old 11-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Queen Paola has attended a concert organized by Equinox and 'Muziekkapel Koningin Elisabeth - Chapelle musicale Reine Elisabeth' at the Flagey Hall in Brussels today, November 30.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery ** apa/picturedesk gallery **

Tags
king albert ii, queen paola