The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Administrator

King Albert and Queen Paola attended the gala concert of the Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel at the Bozar in Brussels this evening, March 21 - I've made a few screenshots:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Already pictures , thank you Iceflower.

Queen Paola gave her bouquet to the pianist Victoria Vassilenko after her performance. A treasure she wrote on Chapelle Musicale Reine Elisabeth's facebook.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Here's a photo of the beautiful bouquet and a lovely photo of the King and Queen yesterday:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** And some photos taken by a royal watcher **
Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Great thanks iceflower !
I see the King and The Queen have confortable seats what was not before !
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM
Administrator

You are most welcome as always!

Today, May 22, Queen Paola attended the annual ceremony for the Queen Paola Award 2018-2019 (Koningin Paolaprijs - Prix Reine Paola) for education, at the Royal Castle in Laeken:

** belga gallery ** rex gallery **
Old 05-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Albert and Queen Paola pictured at a polling station in Laken, Brussels, today 26 May

https://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...a36&m=dbdgcpgo

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...%20Albert%20II

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6591848
Old 06-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

King Albert with Queen Paola attend to the launch the festivities to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the Queen Elisabeth Music chapel, in marge of the MuCH Waterloo Festival, in Waterloo, today 12 June

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6614603
Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
To me it's still weird to see a king voting... I know he is no longer a reigning monarch but the custom that even direct heirs (and in that same line but slightly less problematic former sovereigns) vote to me undermines their impartiality which is an essential part of a monarchical system imo.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose they can vote blanco, which would be advisable perhaps.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
To me it's still weird to see a king voting... I know he is no longer a reigning monarch but the custom that even direct heirs (and in that same line but slightly less problematic former sovereigns) vote to me undermines their impartiality which is an essential part of a monarchical system imo.
As to the last bit,yes,if that involves the Reigning Monarch,and only then.
But Filip is not to vote,his dad is and he is of no importance in the matter,
a citizen with rights and duties like everyone else.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
As to the last bit,yes,if that involves the Reigning Monarch,and only then.
But Filip is not to vote,his dad is and he is of no importance in the matter,
a citizen with rights and duties like everyone else.
Filip voted as direct heir. Just like Elisabeth and Guillaume vote nowadays, that to me is contrary to the system that singles them out as the next impartial head of state. Hopefully they indeed vote blanco (maybe they should announce so?!).
Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Filip voted as direct heir. Just like Elisabeth and Guillaume vote nowadays, that to me is contrary to the system that singles them out as the next impartial head of state. Hopefully they indeed vote blanco (maybe they should announce so?!).

No,they don't have to announce anything,the vote,if they did so,is private and everybodies right,except for the Reigning Monarch as I explained before.There's nada contrary about the right to vote for anyone but the Reigning Monarch.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
No,they don't have to announce anything,the vote,if they did so,is private and everybodies right,except for the Reigning Monarch as I explained before.There's nada contrary about the right to vote for anyone but the Reigning Monarch.
I never said they have to explain, I, however, would recommend they vote blanco and announce so (in systems where voting is an obligation - in any other case: just don't vote).

There was no need to explain as I know how it works but disagree that the system should be this way. In my opinion these things don't go well together. How can a Sovereign be impartial if until a day before he becomes monarch it is perfectly fine to vote (it's still the same person). Theoretically, he/she (because of a birth right) could be leading the process of forming a government while he/she himself voted for one of these parties. That doesn't sound impartial to me. If you want a partial/political head of state, that's fine too but that's not the basic principal of a monarchy.

Of course I understand that monarchs have their opinions but asking heirs to vote means asking them to support one political party over another while one of the premises of the current system is that they do exactly the opposite once monarch.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I never said they have to explain, I, however, would recommend they vote blanco and announce so (in systems where voting is an obligation - in any other case: just don't vote).

There was no need to explain as I know how it works but disagree that the system should be this way. In my opinion these things don't go well together. How can a Sovereign be impartial if until a day before he becomes monarch it is perfectly fine to vote (it's still the same person). Theoretically, he/she (because of a birth right) could be leading the process of forming a government while he/she himself voted for one of these parties. That doesn't sound impartial to me. If you want a partial/political head of state, that's fine too but that's not the basic principal of a monarchy.

Of course I understand that monarchs have their opinions but asking heirs to vote means asking them to support one political party over another while one of the premises of the current system is that they do exactly the opposite once monarch.

Although I personally think that heirs shouldn't vote either, I guess the key point is that, technically, the heir only takes part in the government formation process after he becomes king, so expressing a private partisan preference by casting a secret ballot while he is still the crown prince is not such a big deal.

In any case, whether he votes or not, the heir is not supposed to publicly back a particular party and I am pretty sure Philippe never did that as Duke of Brabant. On the other hand, I suppose some people would argue that his father, as king, was politically biased when he refused for example to meet with the Flemish separatists or the extreme left.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Is there anything planned to mark the 60th Wedding Anniversary of King Albert II and Queen Paola or will it be the usual non celebration lackluster Belgian non event?

August 25th, 1270 -Death of King Louis IX of France
Old 07-03-2019, 06:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Alas An Ard Ri , Nothing . Perhaps in private between some members ....
Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Although I personally think that heirs shouldn't vote either, I guess the key point is that, technically, the heir only takes part in the government formation process after he becomes king, so expressing a private partisan preference by casting a secret ballot while he is still the crown prince is not such a big deal.
Isn't the queen consort also allowed to refrain from voting? In contrast to the heir, she has no expectation of ever taking part in the government of the kingdom, so I am not sure why her nonpartisanship is more safeguarded than the heir's.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Isn't the queen consort also allowed to refrain from voting? In contrast to the heir, she has no expectation of ever taking part in the government of the kingdom, so I am not sure why her nonpartisanship is more safeguarded than the heir's.

All Belgians have the obligation to show up at the polling station. But the statistics for the absentees show many ignore this obligation: the recent elections had a turn-out of 90%, so more than 10% of the electorate risks a sanction between 40-80 Euro (recidivists 200 Euro) but in practice a no-show is seldom sanctioned, these days.

By the way: it is also possibly to vote by post or by proxy. By doing so Queen Paola can have done her duty without us seeing.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:13 AM
Royal Highness

Albert and Paola celebrated their diamond jubilee yesterday apparently.
It was the reason for King Philippe not to attend the broadcast of TV show Vive le velo which was aired from the gardens of Laeken.
https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190707_04498434
Old 07-07-2019, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you cdm , I suppose it was private and no pictures so we don't know who was missing .

Closed Thread

Tags
king albert ii, queen paola