Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true, but only on his deathbed ánd after Alicia and Alexia have been discreet all these years. I have the feeling that Prince Bernhard would have been equally stubborn als Albert, had Alexia run to the media:

"Wait a minute... I bought an arch expensive penthouse at the Avenue Raphaël in Paris, I sponsored her and now she bits me in the hand? No way!" I can almost film it, Prince Bernhard's reaction. I feel the Prince has acknowledged them as daughters because they played the game and followed the rules.

He told her to leave him alone about this and that he's not her father as soon as the rumors came out. She was discreet before then. If he was willing to work behind the scenes and help her mother deal with that situation, I wonder what would've happened?

She knew for 12 years by 1999, and she was discreet before then.

All this shows me that one can run and hide from karma but the longer one runs away, the more exercise karma gets and the hungrier karma gets to have a good lunch. Even without the DNA sample, I believe Albert has been chomped and digested. :D

Albert could have faced up to the realities of his indiscretions, acknowledged it for what it was and claimed responsibility but he chose to shove it further and further in a closet without food or water until it couldn't be contained any longer and hence, legal action ensued.

Its not so much that Albert doesn't recognize Delphine as his daughter but the fact that he's done the best he can to disassociate himself from Delphine and her mother as if they're a black mark on his ego and his reputation. In my eyes, he's making a fool out of himself and not someone I'd classify as a "gentleman" or a man of character.

But the strange thing is that Delphine KNOWS who her natural father is. After all her own mother has told it, with a coherent story and circumstantial backing.

From day one Jacques Boël has declared that the high- and wellborn jonkvrouw Delphine Michèle Anne Marie Ghislaine Boël, is his daughter, born in his marriage to Sybille de Selys Longchamps. As such she is registered and known for 50+ years.

Jonkheer Jacques Boël happens to be one of the richest men of Belgium. So Delphine was not born with neither a silver nor a golden spoon, but with a platinum spoon in her cradle. She belonged to the most privileged families of the country.

Delphine could have had it both: a fabulous future as only child of jonkheer Jacques Boël ánd to be extremely close to the King of the Belgians which possibly happened to be her father and possibly happens to be her half-brother.

I think the word which explode it all is: discretion. The omerta. When it became public, Delphine blew up the bridge to the Boëls, a most discreet family, and she blew up the bridge to the De Belgiques, the royal family, always under heavy scrutiny.

That is the tragic in all this. Most likely both Albert, Sybille and Jacques thought that the interests of child were utmost guaranteed with this settlement. It is not exactly a pauvre outcast in an orphanage... So for Delphine's desire to have it known to the whole world, she pays a high price.

Look at the two extramarital daughters of the late Prince Bernhard: they remained discreet and now Alicia de Bielefelde as well Alexja Lejeune Grinda are totally discreet millionaires, living a discreet lifestyle.

This is NOT just about MONEY and LIFESTYLE as is suggested, this is about honor and respect and honesty........DB has every right to know just who her parents are as we all do. There is more to life then just MONEY , there is honor of a parent doing the right thing for the child that they brought into the world.....anyone man or woman who denies their child is a soulless creature to me and I feel very strongly about that issue. DB also needs to know the medical history of all her parents as that effects her life also.

Where did decency go in this world of ours? Just because someone has money or a title does not make them any better then the next person.

:previous:
She is NOT sure and that is why this woman is fighting so hard to get the *TRUTH*, funny how that word *truth* gets most people confused as they use it to suit their own needs.

I don't think it was Delphine who made it public. However, when it became public knowledge; it must have been extremely painful for her that Albert suddenly refused to acknowledge her as his child and that set all of this in motion...

Rumours had been doing the rounds for years. It was an unauthorized biography of Queen Paola that brought all this to light, along with adding more to the rumors about P Laurent being a cuckoo in the nest. Neither the royals or Delphine or her mother went public, that was the last thing anyone wanted. Albert is being a coward about this, and Paola isn’t helping by making demands about not recognizing her.

posted by CDMApparently Albert proposed to write a sealed letter to be opened after his death in which he acknowledges Delphine is his daughter.
Delphine turned this proposition down.
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2018/11...paternity-cas/

I don’t blame her. I would not accept such a deal either.

Last edited:
At this point one wonders why on earth they are still making a problem about recognizing her. It can't be more humiliating or painful than it is at the moment with one court case after another & the publicity it brings each and every time. Especially as all of Belgium has known for years that he is her father.

Apparently Albert proposed to write a sealed letter to be opened after his death in which he acknowledges Delphine is his daughter.
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2018/1...lphine-boel-a-letter-to-settle-paternity-cas/

What an odd proposal.

Last edited:
I am sure , in Belvedère Castle they must have had a Schock that the ADN test must happen in these 3 Months. King Albert II never expected that.
And now this sealed letter to open after his death , yes odd.
To morrrow we will see King Albert II for the first time after the Court Decision.

Apparently Albert proposed to write a sealed letter to be opened after his death in which he acknowledges Delphine is his daughter.
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2018/1...lphine-boel-a-letter-to-settle-paternity-cas/

I wonder whom Le Soir and Sudpresse obtained this news from: Albert's lawyers or Delphine's lawyers?

Seeing as King Albert II made his proposition only a couple of weeks before Delphine took the matter to court, I also wonder whether the proposal induced the court case or vice versa.

At this point one wonders why on earth they are still making a problem about recognizing her. It can't be more humiliating or painful than it is at the moment with one court case after another & the publicity it brings each and every time. Especially as all of Belgium has known for years that he is her father.

What an odd proposal.

Especially as the proposal itself can be seen as the acknowledgement.

The more Albert (and Paola) drags this, the worse it is going to get.
Why not acknowledge her and be done with it?
Geez.
Selfish to the core, he doesn't care one iota how this reflects on the Royal Family or anything, all he cares about is to keep his "reputation" intact.
What a load of...

Just hypothetical situation:

What would have happened if Delphine as a child fell ill with laeukemia and needed a marrow transplant (and marrow from anyone of her maternal family were not suitable)?

What would have happened if Delphine as a child fell ill with laeukemia and needed a marrow transplant (and marrow from anyone of her maternal family were not suitable)?

My PERSONAL opinion is that if asked, Philippe would show up to see if he is compatible, he strikes me as the kind of person that wouldn't want to have that in his conscience and would try to help if possible.

Again, that's a personal appreciation in my part, maybe along the way his own children would have done the same once they turn 18.

The more Albert (and Paola) drags this, the worse it is going to get.
Why not acknowledge her and be done with it?
Geez.
Selfish to the core, he doesn't care one iota how this reflects on the Royal Family or anything, all he cares about is to keep his "reputation" intact.
What a load of...

It's not just exactly him being "selfish "here..It 's his wife who is vehemently against anything near a recognition....The old saying,those who burn their butts,have to sit on the blisters goes all the way here,for both Albert and Paolo who have been frolicking around in the 60's and c 'est ca.They were such a disfunctional lot that Baudouin and Fabiola took over the education of their children to a large degree.Recognise and get it over with and thus stop being the risée!

In a new Ipsos poll (link), 71% of Belgians state that if Delphine Boël is King Albert's daughter he ought to recognize her, and 9% state that he should not.

I think i understood that when Delphine was a child there was a closer relationship between her and K.Albert and contact was ended later in life (maybe also connected to K.Albert and Q.Paola growing closer again?).

going by that assumption, if a theoretical situation had occured imo it would have been handled discretely behind closed doors, but K.Albert would have been more prone to participate than he does now the situation is public knowledge

It's not just exactly him being "selfish "here..It 's his wife who is vehemently against anything near a recognition....The old saying,those who burn their butts,have to sit on the blisters goes all the way here,for both Albert and Paolo who have been frolicking around in the 60's and c 'est ca.They were such a disfunctional lot that Baudouin and Fabiola took over the education of their children to a large degree.Recognise and get it over with and thus stop being the risée!

I totally agree. I think the core of the matter is Paola here, who sees Delphine as a reminder of the turbolent years she and her husband spent apart. But this is utter hypocrisy: being a renewed devout Christian and behaving so selfishly against another human being.

In a new Ipsos poll (link), 71% of Belgians state that if Delphine Boël is King Albert's daughter he ought to recognize her, and 9% state that he should not.

What would be the practical effects of recognition in this case though ?

I suppose there would be financial implications with Delphine being able to claim part of Albert’s inheritance, but, as Duc said, Delphine was probably better off as Jacques Boël ‘s heiress then Albert’s.

As far as the line of succession is concerned, the constitution is very clear in limiting it to legitimate descendants , so I don’t see Delphine getting anywhere close to the throne. And I don’t see King Philippe issuing a royal decree either to make her a princess of Belgium (which wouldn’t make sense anyway) or even only granting her a title in the Belgian nobility.

On a personal level, she won’t have a relationship with her biological father now, especially after dragging him to the courts as she did, and she seems to have burned the bridge to her adoptive father also.

So, other than getting revenge for her mom and winning bragging rights as a King’s daughter, it doesn’t seem to me that she gained much from her crusade for recognition and may even lose out, at least financially.

Last edited:

I suppose there would be financial implications with Delphine being able to claim part of Albert’s inheritance, but, as Duc said, Delphine was probably better offer as Jacques Boël ‘s heiress then Albert’s.

As far as the line of succession is concerned, the constitution is very clear in limiting it to legitimate descendants , so I don’t see Delphine getting anywhere close to the throne. And I don’t see King Philippe issuing a royal decree either to make her a princess of Belgium (which wouldn’t make sense anyway) or even only granting her a title in the Belgian nobility.

On a personal level, she won’t have a relationship with her biological father now, especially after dragging him to the courts as she did, and she seems to have burned the bridge to her adoptive father also.

So, other than getting revenge for her mom and winning bragging rights as a King’s daughter, it doesn’t seem to me that she gained much from her crusade for recognition and may even lose out, at least financially.

As daughter of Jonkheer Jacques Boël, Delphine was already a hoogwelgeboren jonkvrouw (high- and wellborn jonkvrouw) and part of the Nobility.

Since she ended the legal paternity of Jacques Boël, Delphine is not only no longer a heiress, she will also loose her nobility.

With all her actions, she has upset lots of people but on the outlook had little gain.

As daughter of Jonkheer Jacques Boël, Delphine was already a hoogwelgeboren jonkvrouw (high- and wellborn jonkvrouw) and part of the Nobility.

Since she ended the legal paternity of Jacques Boël, Delphine is not only no longer a heiress, she will also loose her nobility.

It may or may not be the case that Delphine will lose her title of nobility. I could not find a source (and asked in message #1118).

I am not certain when the legal paternity of Jacques Boël will be ended. According to Delphine's lawyer last month, she will remain registered as the legal daughter of Jacques Boël until the action is finalized.

Affaire Delphine Boël : le roi Albert II peut-il s'opposer à un test ADN? - La Libre

In any event, it seems clear to me from the interviews given by Delphine and her lawyers that she is neither asking for, nor expecting to receive, any financial or legal gains.

I suppose there would be financial implications with Delphine being able to claim part of Albert’s inheritance, but, as Duc said, Delphine was probably better offer as Jacques Boël ‘s heiress then Albert’s.

Honestly? It's not about title or money here. She had both. Financially, her legal father was far wealthier than the King from my understanding and she was his sole heir as opposed to having to share it with the King's other children. And I don't think it's ever been her motivation to be in line to the throne. It's about recognition and perhaps a bit of vindication. From what I've read, her and Albert had a good relationship while growing up. It wasn't until the rumors became public that they had issues. She asked Albert to help her mother with the press, and Albert told her she's not his daughter. And here we are.

I don't think she cares about money, the throne or no longer a personal relationship with a man that she was close to while young. It was the huge hurt that she received when he turned his back on her like a wimp when he reunited with his wife declaring she was not his daughter in such a public way. Hurt feelings by a parent. She was made to feel superfluous and unnecessary. Lousy feeling for anyone. She just wants proper recognition as a human that was created by her birth father. Apparently done world wide these days. Very important to many.

The lawyers of Delphine Boel yesterday released a statement announcing that King Albert II still did not take a DNA test.

Today Albert's lawyers confirm that the king will appeal the verdict at the court of cassation. The appeal has the effect that it postpones the demands of the previous verdict, so the King can postpone handing over his DNA until his cased is judged anew.

Zaak-Delphine Boël: koning Albert weigert DNA-staal en gaat ... (Brussel) - De Standaard

Well, I guess he’s going to just keep dragging this on.

The new judicial precedents developed in this case will probably be taken into account in other future paternity challenges, so while I understand why Delphine hopes for a prompt final decision, it will be better for future applicants if the court of cassation can deliver a clearer understanding of the legal principles involved.

I suppose there would be financial implications with Delphine being able to claim part of Albert’s inheritance, but, as Duc said, Delphine was probably better off as Jacques Boël ‘s heiress then Albert’s.

I have to say, I completely agree with you on this. I just don't see the necessity in dragging all this out. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I am quite sure he knew in November that he was going to take this route but waited until the last few days to announce, to make sure another 3 months passed to increase the chance that he will not be alive by the time all his options of avoiding the DNA-test are gone.

What is the timeline for a cassation case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom