The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2019, 01:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I would assume because he already knows what the result would be, at this point with all the fuss (and legal costs) the ongoing court battles are making I guess that points to a result that Albert would rather was not made public.

I understand the principal of not wanting to take a test because you are being forced into it and/or it setting a precedent but really there are no other claims that would get this far so, if he truly wasn't the father, he would simply take the test.After he could release a statement saying how sad he is to have to do so simply to make her go away and move on.

I think its pretty clear Albert is her father and doesn't want to acknowledge that for what ever reason, but really now its just more of a distraction. Didn't Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands accept he was the father to two other women who now have a positive, if discreet, relationship with his other daughters?
As far as I know the four royal daughters of Prince Berhard have no contact with their half-sisters Alicia de Bielefelde and Alexia Lejeune-Grinda. The Prince's public acknowledgement of their existence, his paternity and that his private fortune had to be divided by six, was a bombshell. Both for his daughters as well the general public.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

Can I ask where you read that? The Constitution says only that successors must be legitimate, not that they must be born in wedlock.

That would depend on the interpretation of legitimacy in Belgium. In some countries it applies retroactively-parents can legitimize a child by marrying after the child's birth. In other countries it does't work that way-if the parents are not married at the time of the child's birth the child is not legitimate and nothing changes that.
For example in Britain-David Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood was not married to his first two children's mother when they were born in 1975 and 1978. His first born son is the Honorable Benjamin Lascelles. His parents married in 1979 and had another two children. The first son born (in 1980) after his marriage is Alexander Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles and the heir to the title Earl of Harewood.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Court of Cassation in Brussels - the highest court of the country - has ruled that King Albert II has to pay a penalty payment of 5000 Euros per day that he refuses to hand over his DNA to settle the paternity claims in the case of Delphine BoŽl.

The penalty will start from the day that an expert will visit the king again to take his DNA sample & the king refuses it again.

The king receives an annual dotation of 923.000 Euros. Refusal will cost him double that amount: 1.825.000 Euros per year.

https://www.rtbf.be/info/belgique/de...ur?id=10220430

Dwangsom van 5.000 euro per dag als Albert geen DNA afstaat ... - De Standaard

I do not know if an appeal at the European court in Strasbourg is possible for the king.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 AM
Majesty

We all know how touchy Albert is about his financial situation....if this direct hit at his bank account does not convince him to play ball then nothing will.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Serene Highness

I'm glad he's being forced to pay. This is ridiculous. Take the test! What a waste of everyone's time and money.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonnaise View Post
I'm glad he's being forced to pay. This is ridiculous. Take the test! What a waste of everyone's time and money.

same thing could be said about Delphine in the first case.

I do understand, when parents are draged to court if they do not want to pay childcare. But this case, I really do not understand. You cannot force s.o. into a relationship also not with a courtorder.

She had a legal father, who treated her like his daughter from his body - I think she needs a psychotherapy and shouldn't go to court.

Yes I get, she is miffed with her biological father -Yes a biological parent should own up to its prodgenity, but all that legal stuff won^t help her; in fact I belive quite the opposite to be true.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The Court of Cassation in Brussels - the highest court of the country - has ruled that King Albert II has to pay a penalty payment of 5000 Euros per day that he refuses to hand over his DNA to settle the paternity claims in the case of Delphine BoŽl.

The penalty will start from the day that an expert will visit the king again to take his DNA sample & the king refuses it again.

The king receives an annual dotation of 923.000 Euros. Refusal will cost him double that amount: 1.825.000 Euros per year.

https://www.rtbf.be/info/belgique/de...ur?id=10220430

Dwangsom van 5.000 euro per dag als Albert geen DNA afstaat ... - De Standaard

I do not know if an appeal at the European court in Strasbourg is possible for the king.
According to the articles, the 5000 euro per day penalty was imposed today by the Brussels Court of Appeals (the same court that ordered the DNA test in November).

An earlier story from Le Soir stated that an appeal of today's ruling to the Court of Cassation will be possible.

https://www.lesoir.be/217834/article...tre-sans-delai

If King Albert appeals the penalty ruling to the Court of Cassation, would he avoid paying for the time being?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

The King is actually on holiday in France , said his Lawyer.
The result of the ADN test will remain unknown and secret and will remain in the safe of the Erasmus Hospital.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wow...so I wonder what he will do now that he is facing this heavy fine.

LaRae
Old 05-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I wish he'd just does the DNA test and be done with it all its dragged on far too long and is not a good image for the Belgian Monarchy.

14 May 1643-Death of Louis XIII de France /Louis II de Navarre
Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think there is always a point where saying and doing nothing is the best course of action in the hope the interest will die down but in this case that times was passed long long ago. Now all its doing is hurting those involved (fine their choice in some ways) but also the Monarchy as a whole. Nothing will be worse than just doing the test and making it public one way or the other now.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:38 AM
Courtier

I have mixed feelings about this.
She's not a child anymore, yet she is behaving like one. I mean, it is pretty telling at this point, after all his denial of a paternity test, what the answer is. Yet she is insisting as if all that matters for her is to be publicly acknowledged as the king's daughter for publicity purposes.
Albert on the other hand could have handled this so much better, and if his lawyers advised him to pursue this route, he was certainly ill advised. They could have done all this privately as soon as she requested the DNA samples, keeping the press out of it and bargaining her privacy about the results as long as both he and Paola lives, if that is his main concern (as it appears from the outside). Like this, instead, both his wife and him are perceived as cold-hearted, hypocrite and greedy people, who cannot face the ghosts of their past.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 AM
Serene Highness

In his Christmas 1999 speech, King Albert said about this "we do not wish to elaborate on this. It belongs to our private life."

My guess is that he is sticking and clinging to this statement for dear life. Hence the dragging of this case to the highest courts in the country and perhaps even the continent.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 AM
Serene Highness

Take the test and get it over with. I still don't get the advantage of confirmed as the king's out of wedlock daughter. She won't get a title or be placed in the line of succession. I think her endgame is to punish Albert for not divorcing Paola and marrying her mother, thus making Delphine a lawful princess.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Take the test and get it over with. I still don't get the advantage of confirmed as the king's out of wedlock daughter. She won't get a title or be placed in the line of succession. I think her endgame is to punish Albert for not divorcing Paola and marrying her mother, thus making Delphine a lawful princess.
I don't believe it is. IIRC, she and Albert enjoyed a good relationship when she was young. Things didn't turn sour until she was outed as the King's illegitimate daughter and she asked Albert to help her mother with the press intrusions, and he acted like a jerk. His relationship with her mother ended years before this all started.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Courtier

She may be stubborn in taking this to court for little more than the open acknowledgment of paternity, but at this point it seems that she inherited a stubborn from her biological father...who is absolutely Albert.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
She may be stubborn in taking this to court for little more than the open acknowledgment of paternity, but at this point it seems that she inherited a stubborn from her biological father...who is absolutely Albert.
Gives new meaning to what goes around comes around, doesn't it?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Do you think Delphine has physical resemblances to King Albert or to Philippe, Astrid and Laurent?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I also believe in this. But it was best for King Albert to take the test. This case has been going on for many years and needs to come to an end.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Her advantage? How about validation?

It's not about a title or a place in the line of succession, she just wants to be publicly recognized.

*If* there is an amount of punishment involved, which I heavily doubt, it can be that he terminated all contact with her and her mother as soon as she was outed as his illegitimate daughter. That is cowardly.
That is not her fault, it's King Abert who refuses to face his past deeds or at least acknowledge them.
A good example for him would have been former French president FranÁois Mitterrand - when he was questioned about his illegitimate daughter, all he said was "Et alors?" aka "so what?". Leaving the media without ammunition.

I don't think Delphine is interested in being a princess at all, lawful or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Do you think Delphine has physical resemblances to King Albert or to Philippe, Astrid and Laurent?
If anything, Delphine bears a striking resemblance to Queen Astrid.

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii