The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2016, 06:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
If the marriage was already "a sham" and the relationship was "ice cold for decades" how come that after Delphine's birth they couple still remained married for 11 years afterwards?
People have done stranger things because of "keeping up appearances"....

I have a feeling that no matter what happens, Ms.BoŽl will never know a fond father-daughter relationship, and i feel sad for her because of that..

Old 02-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:

It takes two to tango. I missed the contribution and the responsibility of the proved mother, Madame Sybille BoŽl nťe De Selys Longchamps making herself accessible for other gentlemen inside her marriage, like the alleged father, then the Prince de LiŤge?

It is a bit to much Santa Sibilla versus Devil Albert here...

The prince of LiŤge was making himself accessable to other ladies while he was married too. The Princess de LiŤge made herself accessable to an even larger list of men. Good for them.

However, Sybille did not denounce her own daughter, neither did she all of a sudden decide she was 'too catholic' for an extarmarital child and ignored her daughter afterwards. Albert did, that is the difference.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The prince of LiŤge was making himself accessable to other ladies while he was married too. The Princess de LiŤge made herself accessable to an even larger list of men. Good for them.

However, Sybille did not denounce her own daughter, neither did she all of a sudden decide she was 'too catholic' for an extarmarital child and ignored her daughter afterwards. Albert did, that is the difference.
Well, the only way she could have done it was to put Delphine to adoption or to get an abortion, and it would have looked weird considering she was supposedly "happily married" at the time.

(And if she was two-timing Albert and Jacques during that time, how could she had known whose father was it before Delphine was born?)

The three people more at fault here are Sybille, Albert and Paola, the two women instigated a lot of rancor and Albert is a d-bag who refused to acknowledge what he did.

Now Delphine is an adult, she grew up like a spoiled woman and wants the recognition of being a king's daughter (more likely than not instigated by her mother), sadly she's dragging her legal father and even her children into a limelight they probably don't want, at her age she should have thought of that first in my opinion, why didn't she challenge the paternity before? DNA tests weren't created yesterday and Baudouin has been dead for almost 23 years, why did it happen when it was known Jacques was going to disinherit her?

Like I said, if Albert wasn't a member of a royal family or a famous person, I really doubt she would be insisting so much, considering that her "legal" parentage is so rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
People have done stranger things because of "keeping up appearances"....

I have a feeling that no matter what happens, Ms.BoŽl will never know a fond father-daughter relationship, and i feel sad for her because of that..
Neither did Albert's legal children when they were little, and the only one he has a good relationship with right now is Astrid, his two sons keep him at arms lenght, and for a good reason if you ask me.

Frankly, being related to a man like that is not a reason to be proud.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
[...]

How do you know that Albert decided he was "too catholic" for an extramarital child, assuming Delphine is his possible daughter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
[...] why didn't she challenge the paternity before? DNA tests weren't created yesterday and Baudouin has been dead for almost 23 years, why did it happen when it was known Jacques was going to disinherit her? [...]
It coincidentally (?) started with her -for so far not succesful- start of a career as an artiste. The immense media-attention was welcome, let us say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
People have done stranger things because of "keeping up appearances".... [...]
Keeping up appearances? Remaining married 6 years before and 11 years after the birth of Delphine while the relationship was -according some posters here- "ice cold" and the marriage was "a sham"?

Hmmm... I am not sure about that. After the discovery of his spouse's infidelity Mr BoŽl could have gone to Court and request a divorce. Who had Jacques BoŽl to fear, being from one of the wealthiest and most influential families of Belgium? At that moment his family (in the 1960's) employed more than 100.000 (!) staff versus a junior Prince? When Delphine was born, Baudouin and Fabiola were in the 7th year of their marriage.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are people actually blaming Delphine for this whole mess?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Courtier

I don't understand what Delfine hopes to achieve by her actions; yes of course she can get a DNA-Test and get legally recognised by her natural father. But what she really want's seems to be his love and his recognition as his child and a relationship ... well and just theses things can't be gotten by any ruling of a judge. So to me the whole thing reeks of revenge of her mother ...

IMHO she should better consult a Psycologist than a lawyer .
Old 02-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
I don't understand what Delfine hopes to achieve by her actions; yes of course she can get a DNA-Test and get legally recognised by her natural father. But what she really want's seems to be his love and his recognition as his child and a relationship ... well and just theses things can't be gotten by any ruling of a judge. So to me the whole thing reeks of revenge of her mother ...

IMHO she should better consult a Psycologist than a lawyer .
MTE.
Sybille always wanted Albert for herself but when he got back with Paola, she lost that train and this is her revenge.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

It appears so !!! I find this completely insane to blame someone for who her parents are and her wanting to know for sure who her father is.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
How do you know that Albert decided he was "too catholic" for an extramarital child, assuming Delphine is his possible daughter?

It coincidentally (?) started with her -for so far not succesful- start of a career as an artiste. The immense media-attention was welcome, let us say...

Keeping up appearances? Remaining married 6 years before and 11 years after the birth of Delphine while the relationship was -according some posters here- "ice cold" and the marriage was "a sham"?

Hmmm... I am not sure about that. After the discovery of his spouse's infidelity Mr BoŽl could have gone to Court and request a divorce. Who had Jacques BoŽl to fear, being from one of the wealthiest and most influential families of Belgium? At that moment his family (in the 1960's) employed more than 100.000 (!) staff versus a junior Prince? When Delphine was born, Baudouin and Fabiola were in the 7th year of their marriage.
It isn't 'a poster' who said that but Sybille herself. Not credible enough for some perhaps, but more credible than no source at all, which is the case for other statements here.

I am sure BoŽl technically could file for divorce earlier, with or without the 100.000 employees and with or without the wealth that you seem so utterly impressed by. However, not many divorces happened in those days -esp. not among his social class. The Belgian nobility never was and for a large part still is not a bastion of liberalism (something that I am sure many will appreciate). A divorce would still have been considered a scandal in many conservative circles. The sad trial of (former Viscount) Thomas de Spoelberch in 1989 shows that people do stay together in an utterly unhappy marriage, while there is no financial reason for doing so. And in the Spoelberch/INBEV's case they may have even more employees than mr. BoŽl. The topic is well documented (marriage customs of Belgian nobles, not Sybille's divorce) by -among others- prof. Paul Janssens of the university of Gent.

That Alberts (and Paola') new-found catholicism and his new function as king played a major facor in breaking with Delphine is well documented in a number of books and documentaries about the matter.

I do agree with you that at this point her motives are probably mixed and may have been partly opportunistic. She may be looking for love, attention, reconition, revenge, money, status, publicity etc. Her motivations are hers and she is the only one who knows what they truely are. However, the motivation doesn't matter in the slightest. As a child she has the moral right to get recognition, the reasons why she wants this are irrelevant to such a case. It seems that for now the Belgian court agrees.

Anyway, we are going round in circles. You think she is spoilt and should retreat in a corner, keep quiet and be grateful that she has the last name 'BoŽl'. I think she has every right in the world to do what she is doing and that Albert behavior has been cold, foolish, irresponsible and un-christian. We will never agree on this so there is little point in continuing this discussion.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Honestly as a Belgian I think no one really cares as there are more important things in people lifes nowadays....
Old 02-07-2016, 03:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It appears so !!! I find this completely insane to blame someone for who her parents are and her wanting to know for sure who her father is.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
She knows who her father is. Albert de Belgique. Or is she doubting her darling mommy's words? Mommy will know best.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
[...] As a child she has the moral right to get recognition, the reasons why she wants this are irrelevant to such a case. It seems that for now the Belgian court agrees.

[...]
Is there such a moral right? Maybe for knowing who her natural father is but for recognition? That is not what I have understood from the ruling: the Court of Appeal thinks a child has a right to know his/her afstamming (descendance) and has filed it back to a lower Court of Justice. The right to know someone's descendance is not the same as a right to be recognized! This ruling has opened Pandora's Box by the way because what happens with donors who have been granted total anonimity, which was guarenteed under Belgian Law? The last word has not been spoken and of course all parties have a long road to go with various possibilities for appeals to higher instances.

But hey... doesn't Delphine already know she is Albert's daughter? Hasn't mommie-dearest told her so? Or must this be shouted all over in thick neon-letters all over Brussels? And then? What is her objective then? Being Delphine de Belgique, one in a handful of Princes and Princesses in a dysfunctional family?

Old 02-07-2016, 04:30 AM
Courtier

I don't think anyone could defend Albert here (or Sybille or Paola for that matter) but what I have always found strange is the timing of Delphine's demand, like I said before, DNA tests weren't created last year and she could have asked for one a long time ago, yet she decided to finally go through it when it was known that her legal father was going to disinherit her?

Why now? Maybe because she knows Albert doesn't have much time left? Because that happens a lot, stranged "children" that only appear when it is time to collect their inheritance.

Has she done this when DNA was possible, I would have not said anything, after all, she has all the right in the world to know whose man sired her but she never went for it until she started to have financial issues, that's my biggest beef with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
Honestly as a Belgian I think no one really cares as there are more important things in people lifes nowadays....
There are celebrity scandals that are more interesting than the worst kept secret in Belgium plus I guess people would be more interested if it was an economic thing, like Laurent's failures or Albert complaining about his dotation
Old 02-07-2016, 05:08 AM
Courtier

My point is: she won't get out of the lawsuit what she wishes for most, because that can't be provided by any ruling.

And she will never be a 'Princess de Belgue' - what she knows very well - as some seem to think in this forum - because she is not 'lawfully begotten'.

For me it looks like 'mummy dearest' is behind all this - and that 'mummy dearest' has not her daughters best interest at heart, but revenge. In most cases all lose by revenge - there won't be any winners. Delphine has allready lost hugely by all this. I pitty her, she had not much luck with a revengfull mother and a such a father.

But one can distance oneself from an overbearing mother and live your own live.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:34 AM
Serene Highness

Everyone has the right to know for sure who their father is, I don't have an issue with Delphine asking for a DNA test. However, equally I think its up to the father to decide if they want any contact or not. Yes, they probably should do what many see as the 'decent thing' but no one can say they HAVE to.
In this case bear in mind Albert possibly thought Delphine had the best any could hope for an illegitimate daughter of a king, a mother and 'father' who loved her, Mr Boel seemed to have provided everything he could to her and treated her as his own...up until she choose to pursue being recognised as Albert's daughter.

As much as I think she has the right to know who her father is I do think she has been silly in turning the man who raised her against her but that is just my opinion.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
[...] I pitty her, she had not much luck with a revengfull mother and a such a father. [...]
I think had Delphine just remained her private herself and continued her life, she would not have had issues with her father and she was Madame BoŽl for whom all doors in the Belgian salons sway open.

Thanks to her own actions the once magic name "Madame BoŽl" is synonymous to that of a Leper and all doors of the Belgian salons remain firmly shut. Maybe the doors of Laurent's villa (nicely decorated at the cost of the Navy) would sway open but even that is not sure because I except Princess Claire will overrule her impulsive husband.

Anyway, Delphine BoŽl, go on, in your hopeless quest for eh... whatever you want to achieve.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

All will take such a lot of time that we will never see the end of the Story.

That is the meaning of a lot of Belgians including the Lawyers of both parts.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
All will take such a lot of time that we will never see the end of the Story.

That is the meaning of a lot of Belgians including the Lawyers of both parts.
I have the idea too. The whole process will go on and on and on. Suddenly King Albert is no more amongst us. Delphine is then left with nothing and left aside as a social cast-out.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe not so much as a social pariah but will always be remembered as part and parcel of the history of King Albert II as the "supposed" illegitimate daughter he refused to recognized. That is the most likely scenario in my book unless there's a resolution to the "is he or isn't he the father" battle.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Majesty

In a normal situation Madame Delphine BoŽl, with a grandpapa as Maximilian BoŽl (one of the richest men of Belgium), with a grandmaman as Anne Guinotte (on her own one of the richest women of Belgium), with a grandpapa as Raymond Baron de Selys Longchamps (Ambassadeur in the Netherlands, in Luxembourg, in the United States) and with a grandmaman as Pauline Countess Cornet de Ways-Ruart she would have been so immensely deeply rooted in haute sociťtť.

It is hard to imagine but there seems to be a sort of invisible layer in society, even in 2016. Look at Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn, the first spouse of Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme. He comes from a respected backround, Since his public fought conflict with the Oranges he is really, really totally broken, outcasted and bankrupt. I believe he is living somewhere in Portugal from minimal incomes. All this while he is a talented man but once your name is widely known in a conflict with the royal family... pfff... be careful! I am sure this phenomenon is even more stronger in Belgium where the us-knows-us is more close-knit and entangled.

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii