The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

She looks so old and tired. She is almost 40 (22 Feb 1968). She has a daughter name Josephine Boel (17 Oct 2003) with Jim O'Hare.
I don't know why but she reminds me somehow Paola.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:17 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

she actually reminds me more of Queen Astrid, and I can even see the resemblance between her and a young Josephine-Charlotte, or even Princess Elisabeth.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Aristocracy

that's exactly what i was thinkin- she looks like a blonde version of queen astrid
Old 05-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Commoner

Yes, she does resemble Queen Astrid.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Nobility

Guys, if you go to the BeNeLUX forums, there is a post with pictures of Delphine and her daughter, Josephine O'Hare. In one of the last pictures, Delphine is standing next to her exhibit that has the slogan, 10,000 Ear-plugs & I can STILL hear your LIE. Talk about being upset. Guess she still holds a grudge aginst the family.
The picture is thanks to Cathérine...[Not quite sure were allowed to post pictures from the following source, sorry if were not allowed].
IBL BILDBYDA
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1...ughtyy4.th.jpg
Old 05-21-2007, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Her mother, Baroness Sybille Seyls de Longchamps made some comments to a newspaper or televisionprogramme last week. She thought it was time that King Albert II would publically recognise his daughter Delphine.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Aristocracy

I agree the best way to deal with this situation is to acknowledge it publicly and move on. For sure it may result in an embarassing moment, but then it will be over and all parties will be able to move on and not have to constantly watch out where they are, what they say, who is invited where etc. Precedents are Mitterand, Albert of Monaco etc. Once the "issue" is out its hard for a few days, then it boils over and no one talks about it anymore. IMO best way to "move on".
Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Aristocracy

Maybe there are some personal and private reasons for the king to wait with a recognition of Delphine. Maybe there were some fights in the past that the king made make this decission. I think the whole thing is far more complex than most people know/think. And of course it is a very emotional thing. And what after he will have recognised her? Must she be invited to the photosessions, to the defilé of 21 july? And what about queen Paola, she has her sentiments too, she must feel humiliated. There are obvious serious things happened in the seventies, from which we only know the top of the iceberg.

But of course, after all, everybody knows he has a daughter, that a recognition with good agreements, everybody may be happy
Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha-louise
Maybe there are some personal and private reasons for the king to wait with a recognition of Delphine. Maybe there were some fights in the past that the king made make this decission. I think the whole thing is far more complex than most people know/think. And of course it is a very emotional thing. And what after he will have recognised her? Must she be invited to the photosessions, to the defilé of 21 july? And what about queen Paola, she has her sentiments too, she must feel humiliated. There are obvious serious things happened in the seventies, from which we only know the top of the iceberg.

But of course, after all, everybody knows he has a daughter, that a recognition with good agreements, everybody may be happy
IMO Albert does not “wait” with his recognition of Delphine, I guess there will be no recognition at all. He admitted the marriage crisis in his Christmas speech 1999 and added he does not want to go into this as it is his private life. One can discuss if this is a clever or responsible decision, but I don´t think he will change his attitude. The more Delphine and her mother move into the spotlights, the less they will get recognition by the stubborn Albert.

And to think Delphine would be invited to photoshots or to the National Day festivities is naïve IMHO. She is the illegitimate daughter of the king, no more and no less. So why put her beneath Paola and “create” a happy family image? This would be utterly absurd and I don´t think this is Delphine´s intention. You also don´t expect Alexandre Coste waving from Monaco’s balcony during National Day, do you?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

I think she just wants contact with her father, which is understandable. Sadly she and her mother aren't exactly discrete, which probably makes the situation even more complex then it already is.
I believe the king had contact with his illeg. daughter in the past, I wonder why he ended it. Pressure from his brother, wife, children, the court etc? (I am speculating here).
Old 05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann
You also don´t expect Alexandre Coste waving from Monaco’s balcony during National Day, do you?
Why not? Look at Mette Marit's son
Old 05-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redferns
Good point Redferns. However maybe it has something to do with the fact Delphine was conceived through an affair while the King was married when she was born.

However I still think she has the right to public recognition, most people feel the need to be accepted by their fathers.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redferns
IMO you can hardly compare this. Albert fathered Alexandre while being unmarried and Marius is the result of Mette-Marits´s previous relationship and Haakon is an important part of his daily life. Nobody has been unfaithful and no spouse was involved. Actually Marius and Alexandre (and I even forgot about Jazmin) never appeared on the balcony during national day and in Alexandre´s and Jazmin´s case I highly doubt they ever will. I am not implying it is impossible or even not desirable to integrate an illegitimate child into a royal family, but back to Belgium: I´m sure Delphine will play no role at the court. Nevertheless I dearly hope Albert will reconcile with Delphine and meet his granddaughter Josephine.

And as harsh as it may sound. I don´t think the appearance of Delphine and her mother on TV and in magazines is a sheer coincidence. Delphine is exhibiting her art in Brussels and this extra PR probably sells.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:03 AM
Administrator

I am afraid I am sharing your sceptisism about the PR-moments, johann. Nevertheless there should be truth in what the two ladies are telling the press.
-
I don't think anybody would expect Delphine to be part of the family or to play an active role in the 'royal business', but it would be nice if she and her father could have regular contact, in private.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Aristocracy

Indeed, it is quite obvious that Delphine won't be part of the 'royal' family on the terms of public occasions.

The point is that the king should open the conversation with her, so that she musn't be angry anymore. So that she doesn't have to shoud it out to the press. Delphine asks for contact, not in the first place for a recognition. My opion is that should be possible.

If he recognizes her, that'llhave an impact inheritance maybe...
Old 05-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

It hurts not to have your father aknowledge you. I'm guessing it's a cry for attention from him.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Nobility

Humo Interview?

Hey, can anyone within the BeNeLux region post/report on the recent interview given by Delphine's mum, Sybille, in Humo.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I'm guessing it's a cry for attention from him
From her. Go me!
Old 06-17-2007, 05:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flctylu View Post
Hey, can anyone within the BeNeLux region post/report on the recent interview given by Delphine's mum, Sybille, in Humo.
We have a subscription to Humo at home and I've searched for that particular issue but I'm afraid my dad has already thrown it away.
I've read the interview. This is what I remember : Sybille doesn't say anything really new. She says she's working on a biography, which is to be published after her and Albert's death, because she wants her family to finally know the truth. She also tells about her family. Apparently, her mother died when she was still very young but her father always gave priority to his family. So she grew up in a warm family. She met Albert in Greece, where her father was ambassador at the time. She and Albert had to be very sneaky because she didn’t want to embarrass her father. When she and Delphine moved to London (apparently the move to London was her own choice and not forced by the palace), her father was very sad. Furthermore, she says she never wanted to be a princess, all she wanted, was Albert. The divorce was cancelled because in the end Albert chose for the crown and his country. She says, after all, she’s happy she doesn’t belong to the royal family because they ‘live in a golden cage’. She seems to still care very much about Albert. She also says that literally in the interview, something along the lines of ‘Albert is the father of my only child, I could never forget him’. All in all, she comes across as quite a rebellious woman. She seems to do what she pleases and she comes across as someone who sticks to what she believes is right. But then again, this is my personal opinion. I wish I could post the article so people could see for themselves.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Delphine Boel is 4 months pregnant with her second child, she already has a 4 y/o daughter called Josephine. The father of both children is the Irish American Jim O´Hare.

Apparently 4/5th of the Belgians think the King should recognise his daughter.

Tags
delphine boël, illegitimate children, king albert ii