The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
If my father had had a child with another woman while married to my mother I can see no reason why I should have to consider that child a member of my family. I accept that he would have had some responsibility towards the child, but the child would not be family.

The child would be your blood and by extension your family. Now as to whether or not you were close or even friendly is another issue. It's not the child's fault the parents were immoral.



LaRae
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Marchesina's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: a town near the Adriatic coast, Italy
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I dislike this attitude (from some countries with monarchies) that children born outside marriage are not members of the royal family. If they have a royal parent, they are royal. If their father is the king, their father is the king. Their royal blood is the same as 'legitimate' heirs.


LaRae
but the point is that, to be considered a legitimate member of the royal family, and therefore be granted of title and be styled Royal Highness or whatever, one needs to be born within a legal marriage. this means that one's parents needs to be married the way in each country is considered legal. In Belgium, for example, one needs to be married civilly before than religiously. law is law after all....and kings don't make laws these days
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 07-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
If my father had had a child with another woman while married to my mother I can see no reason why I should have to consider that child a member of my family. I accept that he would have had some responsibility towards the child, but the child would not be family.
If that was the case the child would be part of your father's family whether you liked it or not. And for the father it would be his responsibility that all of his children are acknowledged and supported in all manners that a responsible adult should do. If you as a child in that situation would like to determine who "your" family is that would be for your parents to deal with. It is not part of a child's prerogative to determine who is and who is not "family".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 07-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
If that was the case the child would be part of your father's family whether you liked it or not. And for the father it would be his responsibility that all of his children are acknowledged and supported in all manners that a responsible adult should do. If you as a child in that situation would like to determine who "your" family is that would be for your parents to deal with. *It is not part of a child's prerogative to determine who is and who is not "family".*
I disagree here. It is an individual's prerogative to determine who they consider to be their family.

Family is more than simply who you're related to. Some people consider half-siblings to be family, others don't. It's indicative of the type of relationship that they have. Similarly, some people consider step-siblings or extended family members to be family while others don't.

It might be a father's responsibility to acknowledge and care for all of his children, but it is not a child's responsibility to consider half-siblings their family, nor are they required to do so.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I disagree here. It is an individual's prerogative to determine who they consider to be their family.

Family is more than simply who you're related to. Some people consider half-siblings to be family, others don't. It's indicative of the type of relationship that they have. Similarly, some people consider step-siblings or extended family members to be family while others don't.

It might be a father's responsibility to acknowledge and care for all of his children, but it is not a child's responsibility to consider half-siblings their family, nor are they required to do so.
Exactly. Just because a parent slipped up does not mean everyone else has to accept the end product as part of the family. Heck it doesnt even mean the parent has to accept the product of the affair as part of his family. His only obligation would be a financial one (general care,education, maintenance) until the child obtained its majority. You can not oblige anyone to have an emotional connection to another person or to include them in their family.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:27 PM
rominet09's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LIEGE, Belgium
Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Exactly. Just because a parent slipped up does not mean everyone else has to accept the end product as part of the family. Heck it doesnt even mean the parent has to accept the product of the affair as part of his family. His only obligation would be a financial one (general care,education, maintenance) until the child obtained its majority. You can not oblige anyone to have an emotional connection to another person or to include them in their family.
I totally agree with you. You cannot force someone to love you
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:36 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 4,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I totally agree with you. You cannot force someone to love you
And this exactly seems to be what Delphine claims to be doing with King Albert. Calling him to a court with the aim of persuading him to have a relationship with her, when it's clear that the King doesn't want to have anything with her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,217
I fully agree with the opinions of Ish and rominet09. Ms. Boel can demand inheritance she might be entitled to by law. However, she can not thrust herself into the family that wants nothing to do with her.
__________________
"To watch the sun sink behind a flower clad hill.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 820
Another thing is, that Delphine had Albert during her formative years while Philippe and Astrid and Laurent didn't. I imagine that engenders resentment; then go figure, Delphine wants to drag them into this mess. I don't see how Delphine can possibly think they would want her around now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I fully agree with the opinions of Ish and rominet09. Ms. Boel can demand inheritance she might be entitled to by law. However, she can not thrust herself into the family that wants nothing to do with her.
But this man has two families. Though the members of his legitimate family are under no obligation to welcome her, she and her children are part of his family whether he likes it or not. And I think he is behaving very shabbily about the matter. He sounds spineless to me, and not a man I could respect.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
Another thing is, that *Delphine had Albert during her formative years while Philippe and Astrid and Laurent didn't.* I imagine that engenders resentment; then go figure, Delphine wants to drag them into this mess. I don't see how Delphine can possibly think they would want her around now.
I'm confused there. Delphine had Albert during her formative years? Shouldn't that be the other way around?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
But this man has two families. Though the members of his legitimate family are under no obligation to welcome her, she and her children are part of his family whether he likes it or not. And I think he is behaving very shabbily about the matter. He sounds spineless to me, and not a man I could respect.
Yes, I agree that King Albert has to conclude the saga with Ms. Boel. At the same time, Ms. Boel's actions can be viewed as desperation. If one is publicly rejected, one should find strength to move on with his/her life in my very personal opinion.
__________________
"To watch the sun sink behind a flower clad hill.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

But this man has two families. Though the members of his legitimate family are under no obligation to welcome her, she and her children are part of his family whether he likes it or not. And I think he is behaving very shabbily about the matter. He sounds spineless to me, and not a man I could respect.
I disagree.

Albert doesn't have two families. His actions have indicated that he has one family, his wife, his children through that marriage, and their children. He does not consider Delphine to be his family and is under no obligation to do so.

Delphine herself has one family - her mother, step-father (possibly), partner, and children. Her actions have indicated that she is interested in having two families or at least furthering a relationship with her biological father and his family, but being related by blood does not mean that they're necessarily family. He doesn't consider her to be a part of his family, therefore she isn't.

That said, his actions do leave him in this morally questionable spot - as you put he's coming off as spineless and not someone to be respected. That he doesn't consider her his family is his right, and he should not be forced to do so. She has rights as his biological daughter (if she is in fact his; I believe a paternity test has yet to be conducted), and she deserves to get what she is legally entitled to. However, love and family are not things that children are legally entitled to from their parents.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Yes, I agree that King Albert has to conclude the saga with Ms. Boel. At the same time, Ms. Boel's actions can be viewed as desperation. If one is publicly rejected, one has to move on with his/her life in my very personal opinion.
The question is, however, at what point should she move on.

There are a couple ways her actions could be seen. Is she just trying to he recognized as his daughter and get the legal position that she is entitled to as such? Or is she trying to force him to accept her into his family?

If she's doing the first, I think she hasn't hit the moving on point, and the abdication can actually help her. The courts can force him to recognize her as his daughter and give her legal rights.

If she's doing the latter, however, she needs to move on. He's made his position clear an while the courts can give her a legal position, they cannot order him to love her or invite her to Christmas dinner and what not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 820
Legla rights like what?

Title?
Money?
Position in the succession.

I don't know how old Delphine is, but a place in the succession would drive one of the people in the succession insane because none of them would want to be bumped down. As for love, well, she should be looking for love in better places.

She already lost the inheritance from her stepfather who raised her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
Legla rights like what?

Title?
Money?
Position in the succession.

I don't know how old Delphine is, but a place in the succession would drive one of the people in the succession insane because none of them would want to be bumped down. As for love, well, she should be looking for love in better places.

She already lost the inheritance from her stepfather who raised her.
Delphine wouldn't be eligible for a place in the succession because of her illegitimacy.

If she was then the people born after her would have to suck it up. The people being bumped down have no choice in the matter. Look at Prince Harry - he's about to be bumped in the succession because of the birth of William's child. Albert's legitimate children are all older than Delphine so were she eligible for inclusion in the succession it would automatically be farther down the list.

As an illegitimate child, Delphine isn't likely to be eligible for titles either. She is, however, by law entitled to inheritance on Albert's death (if she is in fact his child). Having, or not having, an inheritance from someone else doesn't change that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrůpolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
We have no definite proof that this woman is the King's daughter. Only a DNA test can prove it.

I hope she's not. Her mother shared her bed with the King, but she could have shared the bed with other men too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 07-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Albert doesn't have two families. His actions have indicated that he has one family, his wife, his children through that marriage, and their children. He does not consider Delphine to be his family and is under no obligation to do so.
We'll just have to disagree then. As far as I'm concerned, when a man has a long term affair with a woman and the relationship produces a child, that child is his family whether he likes it or not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I hope she's not. Her mother shared her bed with the King, but she could have shared the bed with other men too.
Woaah. That's a bit harsh - what would that achieve?

Albert will still be a man who had an affair with another woman. Delphine will still be an illegitimately born woman without a father. And her mother would be dragged from a woman who had an affair with a man to a woman who carried on with multiple men and can't identify the father of her child.

Personally, I don't think it would change my opinion about Albert or how he's handled this situation. If anything it would just make me feel worse for Delphine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I hope she's not. Her mother shared her bed with the King, but she could have shared the bed with other men too.
Wow! I see that male chauvinist piggery is still alive and well in 2013.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King Albert II Has A New Grandchild: Delphine Boel's Baby Born Marengo King Albert II and Queen Paola 6 05-02-2008 11:50 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stťphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander norway palace picture thread pom pregnancy prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim prince laurent princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess annette princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess marilene princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sheikh state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]