The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
If my father had had a child with another woman while married to my mother I can see no reason why I should have to consider that child a member of my family. I accept that he would have had some responsibility towards the child, but the child would not be family.

The child would be your blood and by extension your family. Now as to whether or not you were close or even friendly is another issue. It's not the child's fault the parents were immoral.

LaRae

Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I dislike this attitude (from some countries with monarchies) that children born outside marriage are not members of the royal family. If they have a royal parent, they are royal. If their father is the king, their father is the king. Their royal blood is the same as 'legitimate' heirs.

LaRae
but the point is that, to be considered a legitimate member of the royal family, and therefore be granted of title and be styled Royal Highness or whatever, one needs to be born within a legal marriage. this means that one's parents needs to be married the way in each country is considered legal. In Belgium, for example, one needs to be married civilly before than religiously. law is law after all....and kings don't make laws these days

Old 07-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
If my father had had a child with another woman while married to my mother I can see no reason why I should have to consider that child a member of my family. I accept that he would have had some responsibility towards the child, but the child would not be family.
If that was the case the child would be part of your father's family whether you liked it or not. And for the father it would be his responsibility that all of his children are acknowledged and supported in all manners that a responsible adult should do. If you as a child in that situation would like to determine who "your" family is that would be for your parents to deal with. It is not part of a child's prerogative to determine who is and who is not "family".
Old 07-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
If that was the case the child would be part of your father's family whether you liked it or not. And for the father it would be his responsibility that all of his children are acknowledged and supported in all manners that a responsible adult should do. If you as a child in that situation would like to determine who "your" family is that would be for your parents to deal with. *It is not part of a child's prerogative to determine who is and who is not "family".*
I disagree here. It is an individual's prerogative to determine who they consider to be their family.

Family is more than simply who you're related to. Some people consider half-siblings to be family, others don't. It's indicative of the type of relationship that they have. Similarly, some people consider step-siblings or extended family members to be family while others don't.

It might be a father's responsibility to acknowledge and care for all of his children, but it is not a child's responsibility to consider half-siblings their family, nor are they required to do so.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I disagree here. It is an individual's prerogative to determine who they consider to be their family.

Family is more than simply who you're related to. Some people consider half-siblings to be family, others don't. It's indicative of the type of relationship that they have. Similarly, some people consider step-siblings or extended family members to be family while others don't.

It might be a father's responsibility to acknowledge and care for all of his children, but it is not a child's responsibility to consider half-siblings their family, nor are they required to do so.
Exactly. Just because a parent slipped up does not mean everyone else has to accept the end product as part of the family. Heck it doesnt even mean the parent has to accept the product of the affair as part of his family. His only obligation would be a financial one (general care,education, maintenance) until the child obtained its majority. You can not oblige anyone to have an emotional connection to another person or to include them in their family.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Exactly. Just because a parent slipped up does not mean everyone else has to accept the end product as part of the family. Heck it doesnt even mean the parent has to accept the product of the affair as part of his family. His only obligation would be a financial one (general care,education, maintenance) until the child obtained its majority. You can not oblige anyone to have an emotional connection to another person or to include them in their family.
I totally agree with you. You cannot force someone to love you
Old 07-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I totally agree with you. You cannot force someone to love you
And this exactly seems to be what Delphine claims to be doing with King Albert. Calling him to a court with the aim of persuading him to have a relationship with her, when it's clear that the King doesn't want to have anything with her.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I fully agree with the opinions of Ish and rominet09. Ms. Boel can demand inheritance she might be entitled to by law. However, she can not thrust herself into the family that wants nothing to do with her.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Courtier

Another thing is, that Delphine had Albert during her formative years while Philippe and Astrid and Laurent didn't. I imagine that engenders resentment; then go figure, Delphine wants to drag them into this mess. I don't see how Delphine can possibly think they would want her around now.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I fully agree with the opinions of Ish and rominet09. Ms. Boel can demand inheritance she might be entitled to by law. However, she can not thrust herself into the family that wants nothing to do with her.
But this man has two families. Though the members of his legitimate family are under no obligation to welcome her, she and her children are part of his family whether he likes it or not. And I think he is behaving very shabbily about the matter. He sounds spineless to me, and not a man I could respect.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
Another thing is, that *Delphine had Albert during her formative years while Philippe and Astrid and Laurent didn't.* I imagine that engenders resentment; then go figure, Delphine wants to drag them into this mess. I don't see how Delphine can possibly think they would want her around now.
I'm confused there. Delphine had Albert during her formative years? Shouldn't that be the other way around?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
But this man has two families. Though the members of his legitimate family are under no obligation to welcome her, she and her children are part of his family whether he likes it or not. And I think he is behaving very shabbily about the matter. He sounds spineless to me, and not a man I could respect.
Yes, I agree that King Albert has to conclude the saga with Ms. Boel. At the same time, Ms. Boel's actions can be viewed as desperation. If one is publicly rejected, one should find strength to move on with his/her life in my very personal opinion.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

I disagree.

Albert doesn't have two families. His actions have indicated that he has one family, his wife, his children through that marriage, and their children. He does not consider Delphine to be his family and is under no obligation to do so.

Delphine herself has one family - her mother, step-father (possibly), partner, and children. Her actions have indicated that she is interested in having two families or at least furthering a relationship with her biological father and his family, but being related by blood does not mean that they're necessarily family. He doesn't consider her to be a part of his family, therefore she isn't.

That said, his actions do leave him in this morally questionable spot - as you put he's coming off as spineless and not someone to be respected. That he doesn't consider her his family is his right, and he should not be forced to do so. She has rights as his biological daughter (if she is in fact his; I believe a paternity test has yet to be conducted), and she deserves to get what she is legally entitled to. However, love and family are not things that children are legally entitled to from their parents.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Yes, I agree that King Albert has to conclude the saga with Ms. Boel. At the same time, Ms. Boel's actions can be viewed as desperation. If one is publicly rejected, one has to move on with his/her life in my very personal opinion.
The question is, however, at what point should she move on.

There are a couple ways her actions could be seen. Is she just trying to he recognized as his daughter and get the legal position that she is entitled to as such? Or is she trying to force him to accept her into his family?

If she's doing the first, I think she hasn't hit the moving on point, and the abdication can actually help her. The courts can force him to recognize her as his daughter and give her legal rights.

If she's doing the latter, however, she needs to move on. He's made his position clear an while the courts can give her a legal position, they cannot order him to love her or invite her to Christmas dinner and what not.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Courtier

Legla rights like what?

Title?
Money?
Position in the succession.

I don't know how old Delphine is, but a place in the succession would drive one of the people in the succession insane because none of them would want to be bumped down. As for love, well, she should be looking for love in better places.

She already lost the inheritance from her stepfather who raised her.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
Legla rights like what?

Title?
Money?
Position in the succession.

I don't know how old Delphine is, but a place in the succession would drive one of the people in the succession insane because none of them would want to be bumped down. As for love, well, she should be looking for love in better places.

She already lost the inheritance from her stepfather who raised her.
Delphine wouldn't be eligible for a place in the succession because of her illegitimacy.

If she was then the people born after her would have to suck it up. The people being bumped down have no choice in the matter. Look at Prince Harry - he's about to be bumped in the succession because of the birth of William's child. Albert's legitimate children are all older than Delphine so were she eligible for inclusion in the succession it would automatically be farther down the list.

As an illegitimate child, Delphine isn't likely to be eligible for titles either. She is, however, by law entitled to inheritance on Albert's death (if she is in fact his child). Having, or not having, an inheritance from someone else doesn't change that.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness

We have no definite proof that this woman is the King's daughter. Only a DNA test can prove it.

I hope she's not. Her mother shared her bed with the King, but she could have shared the bed with other men too.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Albert doesn't have two families. His actions have indicated that he has one family, his wife, his children through that marriage, and their children. He does not consider Delphine to be his family and is under no obligation to do so.
We'll just have to disagree then. As far as I'm concerned, when a man has a long term affair with a woman and the relationship produces a child, that child is his family whether he likes it or not.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I hope she's not. Her mother shared her bed with the King, but she could have shared the bed with other men too.
Woaah. That's a bit harsh - what would that achieve?

Albert will still be a man who had an affair with another woman. Delphine will still be an illegitimately born woman without a father. And her mother would be dragged from a woman who had an affair with a man to a woman who carried on with multiple men and can't identify the father of her child.

Personally, I don't think it would change my opinion about Albert or how he's handled this situation. If anything it would just make me feel worse for Delphine.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Wow! I see that male chauvinist piggery is still alive and well in 2013.

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii