King Harald V’s 25th Anniversary/Silver Jubilee: January 2016/June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you to those who have shared info and photos of the latest updates from Harald's jubilee! And it's so nice to see you back and posting, fairy tale. :flowers: It was sweet to see all the children there, Ingrid Alexandra looks more and more grown up each time I see new photos of her.

It is nice that Marius and Maud got to plant the first trees. The eldest from each family.

I hadn't thought of that before, but that's a sweet observation! It's nice that they let Marius and Maud plant the first trees.

I really like that their Majesties were present with grandchildren.

I didn´t have a clue what is insect hotel. Now I know. Interesting gift.:flowers:

The King and Queen will begin their jubilee tour with the Royal Yacht from 18–29 June 2016, visiting the cities of Tromsø, Bodø, Trondheim, Bergen, Stavanger and Kristiansand.

NRK1 (Norway's largest TV channel) will broadcast live from Tromsø from 14:45 to 16:05 Norwegian time tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am not sure what to say on the clothing of the Behn girls...but you know, if they chose them then why not?
It's funny how much more relaxed the other royals are in comparison to the Brits. I can't see Lady Louise wearing boots to her granny's 90th birthday celebrations this year... (Let's hope it's not white tights and schools shoes either, but still...there's no WAY she would be allowed to wear boots to St Paul's!)

And you know what? She´s absolutely right about that...!
I think SOMEONE should consider good taste and manners.

Last edited:
The King and Queen will begin their jubilee tour with the Royal Yacht from 18–29 June 2016, visiting the cities of Tromsø, Bodø, Trondheim, Bergen, Stavanger and Kristiansand.

NRK1 (Norway's largest TV channel) will broadcast live from Tromsø from 14:45 to 16:05 Norwegian time tomorrow.

And begin with Tromso!!

http://g.api.no/obscura/API/dynamic/r1/ece5/tr_1366_907_l_f/0000/noly/2016/6/18/11/tb2f1de7%2B%25281%2529.jpg?chk=242850
http://g.api.no/obscura/API/dynamic...000/noly/2016/6/18/11/tb2f21b9.jpg?chk=803D9C
http://g.api.no/obscura/API/dynamic...000/noly/2016/6/18/11/tb2f1e15.jpg?chk=8C42D5
http://g.api.no/obscura/API/dynamic...000/noly/2016/6/18/11/tb2f20ca.jpg?chk=15BE39
http://g.api.no/obscura/API/dynamic...000/noly/2016/6/18/11/tb2f203b.jpg?chk=6080FD
http://g.api.no/obscura/API/dynamic...000/noly/2016/6/18/12/IMG_4307.jpg?chk=AC8864

(Seeing the weather there and having here the first heat of summer (40C) be jealous too much!!!!!)

Last edited:
Translated by me, and I hope people appreciate it - because there is no point for me to spend time on this if people are not interested. See an hour-long video and 41 pictures in article:
https://www.nrk.no/troms/god-stemning-under-kongebesok-1.13004208
Both large and small (adults and children ) were enjoying themselves when the royal couple visited Tromsø.

The King and Queen started Saturday their ten days long anniversary trip with the royal yacht, where six Norwegian cities from north to south is to be visited. On Saturday, the royal couple were in Tromsø, and NRK Troms sent live from the city center, as you can see again in the video below.

The King and Queen received 300 guests

Despite the rain, it was a glorious royal couple who met the 300 specially invited guests at Skansen in Tromsø where it was time for a private royal garden party, which initiated the royal couple's visit to the city. The King and Queen shook hands and talked with both large and small in attendance.

King Harald joked in his speech that he was pleased to be present in Tromso at the opening of the Midnight Sun Marathon, but that he was pleased that he was not a participant.

The Queen opened the marathon

Saturday afternoon, the royal couple attended a people's event at the town square in connection with the Midnight Sun Marathon. Queen Sonja opened this year's race party, with the Lab and Line-runs as the first out of the distances. The King and Queen stood on the sidelines and cheered the young runners along the streets.

Last edited:
Their Majesties were in Bodø today, and as yesterday this was a dominant news story on the TV news here. There are many articles with stories told by people who meet them today, but some of these articles are not for free, and I haven't the time to translate all of them.

This article is translated by me:
https://www.nrk.no/nordland/samba-i-regnvaer-for-kongeparet-1.13005201
Samba Dance got the temperature up around the royal visit in an otherwise cold and rainy Bodø Sunday.

The Jubilee journey along the Norwegian coast from 18th to 29th of June is part of the celebrations who marks that the royal couple have been King and Queen for 25 years. The journey started in Tromso Saturday, and today it was the residents of Bodø's turn to recieve a visit from the King and Queen.

In an otherwise very bitterly cold summer weather, with eight degrees, wind and rain, two local dancers proved both color and warmth for the visit.

While most were well dressed in weather-jackets and scarf, the two women defied the cold with a dance the square - extremely thin dressed, but with large feathers for decoration.

The King and Queen, who sat covered with warm jackets, seemed to appreciate it.

Unexpected meeting with the Queen

It was also a special moment for the bodø-girl Leah Sofie Kristensen, who unexpectedly got to meet the Queen on the square.

''It was pretty exciting to talk to the Queen. She seems very kind and nice. In fact I didn't know I would get to do it, says a smiling 9-year-old when NRK meet her afterwards.''

The theme of the conversation was a new play equipment in the center, which the Queen wanted to know more about.

''I explained to her how it worked, and that it's very funny.''

''What did the queen then?''

''That she wish she could have been there to play. But I think it suits better to us kids, says a laughing young girl.''

Walking tour in the city and people's festival

In the afternoon, the royal couple invited 300 guests to a garden party in the Nordland Cultural Center.

The weather gods were not kind in the afternoon either, and the audience had to protect themselves with transparent rain-ponchos or umbrellas.

In her speech at the Culture Center, Queen Sonja said that the royal couple never get enough of traveling along the coast of Northern Norway with the Royal Yacht, and that the weather plays a lesser role.

''There is an equally special experience every time, whatever the weather. The love for this region and the northern Norwegian nature is, as you know, strong in our family, and especially with me'', the Queen said.

''For 25 years ago I went on one of my first hikes in Saltfjellet (Salt-mountain). It was an unforgettable experience'', she remembered. The Queen told further that since then, she has had numerous outdoor adventures and encounters with people in the north.

''I hides these meetings like small treasures. Luckily I get me a hike this time too, with today's opening of the Kaiser trail'', said Queen Sonja, who also took the opportunity thank everyone for the way the royal couple had been received in Nordland - both public and private.

''It is easy to be themselves in meetings with northerners, the chat goes light and the laughter sits loose.''

See video and pictures in this article:
Avisa Nordland - Nå er kongen og dronningen i Bodø - se bildene her

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Their Majesties celebrated (on January 17) that they had been Norway's King and Queen for 25 years. And on June 23 they are going to celebrate again.

The King and Queen will on that day (with big celebrations) mark that there are 25 years since they received the benediction in the Nidaros Cathedral/Nidarosdomen.

NRK1 (Norway's largest TV channel) will broadcast live from 09:00 to 17:20 and again from 1930 until 20:55. Norway only News Channel will also broadcast live through the day.

Read this article for information - translated by me:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/slik-blir-kongeparets-signingsjubileum-i-trondheim-1.13000821
The King and Queen's Enthronement anniversary in Trondheim will be celebrated in this way

The Royal Family are visiting cities from Tromso in the north to Kristiansand in the south, to mark that there is 25 years since the royal couple received the benediction at the Nidaros Cathedral/Nidarosdomen.

On thursday June 23, the royal couple arrives in Trondheim. We are going to send live on NRK1 all day, and you can join the party.

Trondheim municipality has invited the public to Ravnkloa together with the royal family. They arrives with the royal yacht at 10:00. They will return to the Royal Yacht by car at 11:00.

Those who will be present in Trondheim are King Harald and Queen Sonja, the Crown Prince family, Princess Martha Louise with family, Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner and the widower of the late Princess Ragnhild, Mrs. Lorentzen, Erling Lorentzen.

Jubilee Service

There will be a televised Jubilee Service from Nidaros Cathedral at 12:00. It was here King Harald and Queen Sonja received the benediction on the same date 25 years ago. The King followed in his father King Olav's footsteps, because he also received the benediction in Nidaros Cathedral, while his grandfather King Haakon were crowned there.

Dinner at Stiftsgården

After the service, the entire royal family will arrive at Stiftsgården in Trondheim. At 15:00, the royal family will be hosting a sumptuous dinner with 600 invited guests in the Stiftsgård park. The King and Queen will be available for photos and greetings from the people, at the stairs down to Munkegata (a street). The dinner will lasts for 90 min. And after that, they will return to the royal yacht who will leave the City at 17:00.

More information on the Service in Nidarosdomen from the Cathedral's own website - translated by me: Nidarosdomen
It's 25 years (on thursday June 23) since Their Majesties King Harald and Queen Sonja were signed (received the benediction). We are celebrating the anniversary with a church service in Nidaros Cathedral 12:00.

The entire Norwegian royal family participates in the anniversary service. In addition, the entire government, the President of the Parliament, the Chief Justice, many from the parliament and a number of mayors.

The cathedral is adorned with decorations in green, golden and white tones. The choice of flowers should be safe alternatives in terms of allergies.

The Service is broadcasted live on NRK1.

It has been an open enrollment for seats in the church during this anniversary service. The interest was tremendous, and it is therefore not possible to still get a seat.

Last edited:
Muhler said this in the thread (An appeal from a poster) and he said this:
One thread that has suffered from posters leaving is the NRF thread. It's pretty difficult nowadays to get hold on someone who actually knows what is going on in Norway IMO.
I agree with him, as usual.

Tomorrow is a very big day here in Norway (bigger than on january 17) and I have translated several articles the last days, but nobody seems to be interested.

As I've said in my above posts, Norwegian television will broadcast the whole day from trondheim and it is a dominating story on the TV news here and there are written countless articles about it.

In this article you can see a video when the Royal Yacht arrived in Trondheim earlier today:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/salutterer-for-kongen-og-kronprinsen-1.13009372

Last edited:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/send-din-hilsen-til-kongeparet_-1.13007932
Send your greetings to the royal couple!

It is 25 years since King Harald and Queen Sonja were consecrated in Nidaros Cathedral.

On thursday June 23, the royal couple will be arriving Trondheim. We will send live on NRK1 all day and you can join the party.

I've only translated parts of this article, because some of it has been mentioned in the above articles which already have been translated by me:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/8_5-timers-maratonsending-fra-signingsjubileet-1.13009881
An 8.5 hour marathon broadcast from the benediction anniversary

On thursday (tomorrow), you can follow the celebration of the royal couple's 25 years on the throne all day on our website and on NRK1.

''This broadcast is on the size of what we did during the World Ski Championships in 1997. For us at the offices of NRK Trøndelag, this is probably one of the biggest things we have made in one day'', says project manager Linda Bjørganvald.

Along with the rest of the "benediction editors", she's well underway with the planning of thursday's 8.5 hours long broadcast. ON NRK1, you will be able to follow tomorrow's celebration of the royal couple's 25th anniversary.

''I would like to say that we have control on the entire broadcast now. But there are much who should be in place before a broadcast like this, but now we are working with the last part'', says Bjørganvald before she runs into the office to finish the details.

Last edited:
According to a an royal expert on twitter, Princess Astrid has now arrived in Trondheim.

A very happy occasion for their Majesties.
Thank you for all the information and links, Royal Norway :flowers:

I continue my updates on the big day and there's more to come:

I had no time to translate the whole article, but read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Royal_Regalia

https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/xl/riksregaliene-1.13008818
To Nidaros Cathedral and the Archbishop's Palace

The Royal Regalia was moved from the Bank of Norway to Nidaros Cathedral in 1988, and in that way was Nidarosdomens's position as Norway coronation church fortified. King Olav and the rest of the royal family were present when the exhibition in the church's Northern West Front Chapel was officially opened.

In 2006, the regalia was moved to a permanent Regalia exhibition in the Archbishop's Palace.

The exhibition was opened at the 100th commemoration of the coronation of King Haakon and Queen Maud in June 2006. Here is also the national banner on display, after it was recovered at Akershus fortress having, after being missing for many years.

It's the Nidaros Cathedral restoration works (NDR) who has the executive responsibility for the regalia.

A very long and interesting article about coronations and consecrations, but I have only translated from Haakon VII's time and beyond:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/xl/der-konger-krones-og-signes-1.12997110
Haakon VII

The last coronation party in Trondheim happened on June 22, 1906 when King Haakon VII and Queen Maud were crowned. The ceremony should on this time have "a more democratic character" and the coronation procession from Stiftsgården to Nidaros Cathedral was dropped. There was also a people-festival on Ilevollen where the King was present.

The King and Queen came to Trondheim with the ship "Heimdal" and was met at Stiftsgården of a crowd that was estimated at 20 000. A number of royal guests from other countries were present.

Olav V

''Gerhardsen's (the Prime Minister) Government didn't want anything that resembled a coronation and certainly not in the cathedral, but King Olaf thought it was quite natural that he as head of the church was consecrated in his church'', says Steinar Bjerkestrand, director of the Nidaros Cathedral restoration works (NDR) to NRK.

King Olav had in conversations with Bishop Arne Fjellbu of Nidaros asked to be consecrated in Nidaros Cathedral to receive God's blessing of his royal duties. And so it was. King Olav was consecrated on June 22, 1958.

The ceremony was officiated by Bishop Arne Fjellbu and the bishop of Oslo, Johannes Smemo. King Olav used one of the coronation chair from 1818.

Harald V

King Harald V and Queen Sonja were consecrated in Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim on June 23, 1991. It was the royal couple's desire to let themself be consecrated in the national sanctuary (this is what many Norwegians calls the Nidaros Cathedral) in the same way that King Olav did in 1958.

''King Harald was never in any doubt that he wanted to be consecrated in Nidaros Cathedral. He wanted to stand in the same tradition as his father'', says Steinar Bjerkestrand, director of the Nidaros Cathedral restoration works (NDR).

''Nidarosdomens position as national shrine is sealed through consecrations. There is a heavy signal-language behind this and there are drawn long lines historically given the ancient list of King's and its connection to the cathedral, says Bjerkestrand.

Since the coronation was abolished, the regalia was not used by neither King Olav or of the royal couple, but during the consecrations ceremony, both king/queen crown were placed on either side of the main altar.

In Nidaros Cathedral, the royal couple were received by the Bishop of Nidaros, Finn Wagle, and the bishop of Oslo, Andreas Aaflot. Bishop Wagle saluted the King with the words: "God save your input and your output from now on and forever."

In the church, the King and Queen sat on the coronation chairs from 1818. After the sermon, King Harald knelt before the high altar, and Bishop Wagle said the consecration prayer.

Then, Queen Sonja knelt next to the King. With his hand on the Queen's head bishop also said a prayer for her.

Consecrations-tours

In the Middle Ages it was common that kings embarked on a long journey around the country to be honored. In modern times, the Norwegian Kings have been traveling on Consecrations-tours in connection with the ceremony in the cathedral.

King Haakon and Queen Maud

They traveled to Trondheim by train, horse and carriage, and by boat. The King and Queen came to Trondheim with the ship "Heimdal" and was greeted by a large crowd at Stiftsgården. They had stopped many places along the way to get to know the people and the country.

They traveled back to Christiania by ship along the coast. The journey was completed the following year, with an extended tour of Northern Norway.

King Olav

He traveled in a motorcade from Skaugum to Trondheim before the consecration. The King sat in an open car and was accompanied by Princess Astrid on the whole trip.

June 23, the day after consecration, King Olav went aboard the royal ship "Norway" to continue the Consecrations-tours along the coast back to Oslo. They were met by all kinds of boats, from large fishing boats to small rowing boats. The boats were decorated with birch and Norwegian flags, and people aboard saluted the king with shouts and ship whistles.

King Harald and Queen Sonja

They also went on a Consecrations-tour and was following in the same pattern as their predecessors. On the road to Trondheim they undertook a 10 days long tour of Southern Norway. The journey back went along the coast with royal ship "Norway". The royal family went on a 22 day long journey in the four northernmost counties the year after.

Last edited:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/13-aring-skal-lese-for-kongeparet-1.13008073
13-year-old to read for the royal couple

Along with an actor has Teodor Merakerås Rasmussen (13) received the honorable task to read a text under the royal couple's anniversary church service Thursday.

It is 25 years since the royal couple was consecrated in Nidaros Cathedral. This is marked with an anniversary mass in the cathedral. It came as a surprise to Teodor when he was asked to participate.

''When they called my mum she thought it was a job they had intended to offer her, but it was to me. It's a bit strange to think about, really'', says Teodor.

That Teodor mum thought they asked her to do this job, is not so strange. She works as a professional storyteller.

''I am very proud. I think it's tremendous that he takes a challenge and he is fearless. Adults should have been better to that too, says mom Hege Merakerås.

Got the eyes up for Teodor

Teodor was "discovered" when he and a buddy were compères during a dinner for all staff from Nidaros Diocese last year.

''When we was going to find a children voice to be reading these texts, then Bishop Helga thought of Teodor. "We could ask him," she said, says Ragnhild Jepsen who is the dean of Nidaros.

''He was only 12 years old when he was a compère. He must have made an impression'', says Jepsen.

Teodor shall read along with actress Wenche Stømdahl.

''The text is written for this occasion and is about the royal couple. It is very personal and charming'', says mom Merakerås.

More than 1,000 spectators

In addition to the royal couple, the Nidaros Cathedral will be filled with over 1,000 spectators. In addition, the service is broadcast live on television. Teodor does not take lightly of the great task he has been given. He has memorized the text for four weeks and according to himself, he read the text above 50 times.

''I think it's going to be fine since I can the most of what I shall read. But it is a bit unaccustomed to stand before so many more than I have been practicing with'', says Theodore.

Many of his pals will get a surprise if they turn on the television on Thursday.

''I have not told it to so many friends. What to do on Midsummer's Eve is not the first thing we're talking about'', says Teodor.
The TV broadcast starts now at 09:00 and will last to 17:20, and will start again at 1930 and last to 20:55 .

Last edited:
Video of in this article when the royal family araived:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/her-ankommer-kongefamilien-folkefesten-1.13011142

Pictures of events so far in this article:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/se-bildene-fra-signingsfesten-i-trondheim-1.13011145

Picture of the King and Queen:
https://gfx.nrk.no/_YbBLADT3ZUKlwLfqgIjSwTPITY9Z-bz9AG1wpzcp7zg

Update - The Royal family now walks around.

Update - Pictures of the coronation in 1906 - King Haakon and Queen Maud:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/kroning-1906_-kong-haakon-og-dronning-maud-1.12998641

Pictures of the consecration in 1958- King Olav:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/signing-1958_-kong-olav-1.12988157

Pictures of the consecration in 1991- King Harald and Queen Sonja:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/signing-1991_-kong-harald-og-dronning-sonja-1.12998964

Last edited:
:previous: thank you for all the wonderful links and information . Lovely to see the family with the King and Queen

Norwegians are very proud of the King/Queen and Nidarosdomen. It's a very beautiful Cathedral (my favourite Cathedral and one of my favourite buildings) and a tourist attraction.

The anniversary church service will start in 15 min - 12:00 Norwegian time.

:previous: thank you for all the wonderful links and information . Lovely to see the family with the King and Queen

You're very welcome!

The royal family has arrived at Nidaros Cathedral. And Norway's King and Queen seems to be visible moved by the occasion. His Majesty has done so much for this country, and he is without a doubt my favourit head of state after Queen Elizabeth II. And Queen Sonja is such a lovely and caring lady.

See the service live above in post 146.

Update - Norway's beloved king has tears in his eyes.
https://gfx.nrk.no/6DBbajOn79gt0eMrPyrBOwsFiJukbiRQkGpNH194Y12w

Update - The King/Queen and the rest of the royal family left the cathedral. I am so impressed by Princess Astrid who despite Parkinson's disease and other health problems always are present at these events.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Royal family leaving Cathedral in Trondheim as part of the Jubilee tour 2016.

PPE

PPE Agency

https://www.nrk.no/norge/nytt-offisielt-bilde-av-kongefamilien-1.13011893
Last time the royal family were photographed in official capacity, was in January this year in connection with the royal couple's 25th anniversary on the throne.

This time the line of succession is represented by King Harald, Crown Prince Haakon and Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

The picture was taken with the Norwegian crown jewels, which are exhibited in the Archbishop's Palace in Trondheim.

It's Torgrim Melhuus who took the three picture.

https://gfx.nrk.no/ik-WwO8p884p2fX0Op2z9QFnpJ2OVrdNF-2uDubKWo2g

Pictures of the day in this article:
https://www.nrk.no/trondelag/se-bildene-fra-signingsfesten-i-trondheim-1.13011145

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom