King Harald diagnosed with Cancer '03

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A jovial King Harald thanked his doctors as he left the National Hospital Friday morning. PHOTO: JAN TOMAS ESPEDAL

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 372
I belive that this pic was from when the King was admited :unsure: (if is repeated, maybe someone can deleted, sorry :flower: )

(Foto: Thomas Bjørnflaten / SCANPIX)

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 344
xicamaluca  Posted: Dec 19th, 2003 - 7:37 pm

I belive that this pic was from when the King was admite

The King does not look well. Appreciate the concerned glance that his wife is casting his way.

Originally posted by xicamaluca@Dec 19th, 2003 - 7:37 pm
I belive that this pic was from when the King was admited :unsure:
Yes, this picture was previously posted, as a series from Colorpress, of when King Harald was admitted into the hospital for his surgery.

The Queen probably looks concerned because it was pre-surgery. Now that it's post surgery, we know that the Queen need not have worried too much since all went well with the surgery but now the King has a long recovery period ahead of him.

The King has been admitted to the hospital, reports VG, as he's got an urinary tract infection. These infections are not uncommon in patients who have had the operation that the King has had.

"OSLO, Norway - King Harald V of Norway was hospitalized Saturday
with a urinary tract infection, the royal palace said.

Doctors said the 66-year-old king was in "good form" despite the
infection, which could be related to his cancer surgery last month,
according to a statement from the royal palace.

A surgical team removed the king's bladder after tests showed it was
cancerous. They replaced it with a reconstructed organ in an
operation on Dec. 8.

"It is not uncommon that patients who have undergone surgery on
their urinary tracts get such infections," the statement said,
adding that the king would be hospitalized "for a few days."

A figurehead monarch, the king assumed the throne in January 1991
upon the death of his father, King Olav V. Harald is the third king
of modern Norway and the first born in the country since 1370. "

"Märtha Louise - kunglig vikarie

RYCKER IN Eftersom kronprins Haakon vill vara pappaledig, får
prinsessan Märtha Louise rycka in på tronen medan pappa Harald är
sjukskriven.

Norges kung Harald inlagd på sjukhus i går

Norges kung Harald lades
i går in på sjukhus i Oslo. Han har drabbats av en
urinvägsinfektion efter canceroperationen i december.
Kungens vikarie under sjukskrivningen blir prinsessan Märtha Louise.
Prinsessan får rivstart på sitt inhopp som vikarie. Hon hamnar i
en nyckelroll när det portugisiska presidentparet kommer på
statsbesök inom kort.
- Vi planerar ett statsbesök från Portugal perioden 3-5 februari,
säger norska utrikesdepartementets protokollchef till tidningen VG.

Pappaledig prins
Egentligen är det kronprinsen Haakon som är kungens
ställföreträdande, vid sjukdom eller annan bortavaro. Men
kronprinsparet kommer att vara nyblivna föräldrar när de portugisiska
gästerna anländer. Därför blir det Märtha Louise som får uppdraget.
Kronprinsessan Mette-Marit väntar barn i slutet av januari och
kronprins Haakon har bett om föräldraledighet, både före och efter
födseln.

Mår ganska bra
Enligt det norska kungahuset kommer den sjuke monarken att vara
inlagd på Rikshospitalet i Oslo några dagar framöver.
- Kungen har haft feber och känt sig dålig ett par dagar, säger
slottets informationschef, Wenche Rasch till VG.
Enligt uppgift mår monarken bra efter omständigheterna. Det är
relativt vanligt att infektioner uppstår efter ett ingrepp som den
operation Harald gjorde den 8 december mot cancer i urinblåsan."

Aftenposten

KING HARALD RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL

King Harald of Norway left Rikshospitalet University Hospital on Wednesday. Doctors said that he has been treated for a urinary tract infection and is now recovered. The king underwent surgery on December 8 for bladder cancer and is currently on leave from official duties as he recovers.

The December operation, which resulted in the removal of the king's bladder, was judged a complete success. King Harald checked back into the hospital last Saturday for treatment for an infection.

The palace released news on their web site stating that the king would be having regular control checks at Rikshospitalet University Hospital in the future.

Originally posted by King Christian@Jan 15th, 2004 - 3:36 pm
How's King Harald doing ??? :flower:
Well, he was checked out of hospital some time ago. And since I haven't seen or heard anything that would indicate anything but progress. In cases like this no news is good news. :innocent:

Queen Sonja told NRK yesterday that King Harald was getting better and likely would be back soon.

That is wonderful news to hear that King Harald is doing better. No doubt a new grandchild will boost his spirits, too!

King Harald stopped smoking when he was told he had cancer. This makes all of the close Norwegian Royal family non-smokers. :flower: The King was the last one to quit. Apparently he'd made a joke, when he was smoking the most: the time I will use my veto is when they try to make Norway a non-smoking country. As that law came in effect this January, making all work-places non-smoking (including clubs, restaurants and bars), and the King stopped smoking earlier, it can be assumed that the Royal veto was not used.

The King and Queen were interviewed today by NRK at Skaugum about the new baby. The king stated that he was progressing nicely, but had no comment to when he might be back in his duties.

He looked well, though.

No, they do bring the flags out for National holidays (the Royal family's birthday, Church holidays, historic holidays), but even if I thought of his birthday just that morning I had trouble imagining why... Besides we have a church holiday today, and I thought it was that I had missed. (I have trouble remembering all the church holidays.)

On another note: King in an interview with VG. http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=215841
"I was very scared"..

MIAMI BEACH (VG) It was a very afraid King Harald who lifted up the phone and called his doctor, an hour after he'd discovered blood in his urine.

Av STIG TORE LAUGEN og MATTIS SANDBLAD (foto)

DINKY FLAG: - Is that the only flag we brought, Kjell? It's so dinky, said the 67- year old and laughed when Kjell Arne Myrann fastened the Norwegian flag, with the King's Monogram on the sailboat the "Fram-gang" has rented for the regatta.

-I never reacted in a panic manner, but I was very afraid when I called the doctor, King Harald told us from the harbour in Miami Beach yesterday afternoon local time.

-How long did it take before the King contacted a doctor?

- I waited for an hour before I called. Then the doctors took over, and I feared nothing. All I thought of was getting well again, is the King's answer to VG's question.

The contrast is big, from the day in November back in Oslo when he discovered the illness, to the hot afternoon sun in Florida. The king has just arrived in the harbour after having practised for several hours with the crew before thursday's regatta.

- I told the boys, when I was in the hospital, not to cancel this trip. And here we are. I didn't quite think I'd get here myself, the 67 year old tells us.

-How did the King react when he was told he had cancer?

- I don't know if I grasped it, and thought this doesn't happen to me, he tells us and drags his left hand over his face.

Quit smoking.

The sweat comes. It is hot and the King is a bit tired after the sailing.

-I feel healthy, but I notice that I can't do as much as I did before, says the monarch and adds that it changes constantly.

- I've had ups and downs, says King Harald, who claimed that he hasn't changed how he lives after the operation. Until he reminds himself that he's stopped smoking.

- Yes, I've quit.

-How was it?

-Disappointingly easy, says the King and laughs.

After the large operation before Christmas he has mainly stayed at the Kongsseter, without doing anything else but taking it easy.

-It has been boring. But the fact that I'm bored proves that I'm getting better again. I hope so, at least, says the King, who're counting on being back from his sick leave after Easter.

-How does the King feel that the Crown Prince Regent has performed.

-Just so well I thought he would, the King states, and tells us that he hasn't given Crown Prince Haakon any special advice during his own sick-period.

- Not now, but I have done before. What I said, just now, is that I don't exist, but I'm still here, the King says cryptically and smiles.

RENTED BOAT: When King Harald and his crew thursday participate in the regatta Acura SORC it happens in a rented Farr-sailboat.

Wants to be friends.

Even if he yesterday celebrated his 67th year, thus reaching the Norwegian age of retirement, King Harald has no plans of slowing down.

-I can't do it, it's either or. I'll be back full-time.

The relationship with his older sister, Princess Ragnhild, was brought out in the open.

King Harald says he hasn't seen the actual TV2-documentary, but tells us that he has read a bit about it in the papers.

- I have talked to her several times lately, and got a birthday present, tells the King.

- Have you talked about it?

- I hope we're friends. If not, we're certainly going to become it, says King Harald and acknowledges that this is a conflict he'd rather not have.

- It is sad if it destroys the family enjoyment, but this can happen in most families, says the King, who a month ago became a grandfather, for the second time in under a year.

-It's very nice, says King Harald, who think he'll miss the two of them during the upcoming week in Miami

-I'll probably do that. But I saw them latest the day before yesterday, says the birthday boy.

THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT: To be well enough to celebrate his 67th birthday with the sailor boys in Miami, King Harald said yesterday was the best birthday present he could have got.

- We're going to play.

The clock has just struck 4 on Miami Beach and there are many hours left of the King's 67th birthday. He himself says that the best birthday present he could have got, was to get well enough to sail with the boys.

-It is more than good enough for a birthday present, says the King and adds that he doesn't know what the rest of the evening will bring.

- But I have the feeling that those boys over there have something in mind, says the King. He smiles and nods over to his crew who're cleaning up in the sailboat after today's sail

At the breakfast table the sailor-friends sang the birthday song and treated the King to cake.

- What is the goal for the regatta?

- To finish. We're going to play and have fun, answers the King on VG's question.

To play and have fun is something none of us begrudge the cancer-operated monarch at the moment.

(VG 22.02.04 kl. 08:1

Thanks for these articles norwegianne. It's interesting to hear about the King's account of how he discovered his illness and recovery. He looks so thin and gaunt in the pictures, however.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 5:02 am
No, they do bring the flags out for National holidays (the Royal family's birthday, Church holidays, historic holidays), but even if I thought of his birthday just that morning I had trouble imagining why... Besides we have a church holiday today, and I thought it was that I had missed. (I have trouble remembering all the church holidays.)

On another note: King in an interview with VG. http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=215841
"I was very scared"..

MIAMI BEACH (VG) It was a very afraid King Harald who lifted up the phone and called his doctor, an hour after he'd discovered blood in his urine.

Av STIG TORE LAUGEN og MATTIS SANDBLAD (foto)

DINKY FLAG: - Is that the only flag we brought, Kjell? It's so dinky, said the 67- year old and laughed when Kjell Arne Myrann fastened the Norwegian flag, with the King's Monogram on the sailboat the "Fram-gang" has rented for the regatta.

-I never reacted in a panic manner, but I was very afraid when I called the doctor, King Harald told us from the harbour in Miami Beach yesterday afternoon local time.

-How long did it take before the King contacted a doctor?

- I waited for an hour before I called. Then the doctors took over, and I feared nothing. All I thought of was getting well again, is the King's answer to VG's question.

The contrast is big, from the day in November back in Oslo when he discovered the illness, to the hot afternoon sun in Florida. The king has just arrived in the harbour after having practised for several hours with the crew before thursday's regatta.

- I told the boys, when I was in the hospital, not to cancel this trip. And here we are. I didn't quite think I'd get here myself, the 67 year old tells us.

-How did the King react when he was told he had cancer?

- I don't know if I grasped it, and thought this doesn't happen to me, he tells us and drags his left hand over his face.

Quit smoking.

The sweat comes. It is hot and the King is a bit tired after the sailing.

-I feel healthy, but I notice that I can't do as much as I did before, says the monarch and adds that it changes constantly.

- I've had ups and downs, says King Harald, who claimed that he hasn't changed how he lives after the operation. Until he reminds himself that he's stopped smoking.

- Yes, I've quit.

-How was it?

-Disappointingly easy, says the King and laughs.

After the large operation before Christmas he has mainly stayed at the Kongsseter, without doing anything else but taking it easy.

-It has been boring. But the fact that I'm bored proves that I'm getting better again. I hope so, at least, says the King, who're counting on being back from his sick leave after Easter.

-How does the King feel that the Crown Prince Regent has performed.

-Just so well I thought he would, the King states, and tells us that he hasn't given Crown Prince Haakon any special advice during his own sick-period.

- Not now, but I have done before. What I said, just now, is that I don't exist, but I'm still here, the King says cryptically and smiles.

RENTED BOAT: When King Harald and his crew thursday participate in the regatta Acura SORC it happens in a rented Farr-sailboat.

Wants to be friends.

Even if he yesterday celebrated his 67th year, thus reaching the Norwegian age of retirement, King Harald has no plans of slowing down.

-I can't do it, it's either or. I'll be back full-time.

The relationship with his older sister, Princess Ragnhild, was brought out in the open.

King Harald says he hasn't seen the actual TV2-documentary, but tells us that he has read a bit about it in the papers.

- I have talked to her several times lately, and got a birthday present, tells the King.

- Have you talked about it?

- I hope we're friends. If not, we're certainly going to become it, says King Harald and acknowledges that this is a conflict he'd rather not have.

- It is sad if it destroys the family enjoyment, but this can happen in most families, says the King, who a month ago became a grandfather, for the second time in under a year.

-It's very nice, says King Harald, who think he'll miss the two of them during the upcoming week in Miami

-I'll probably do that. But I saw them latest the day before yesterday, says the birthday boy.

THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT: To be well enough to celebrate his 67th birthday with the sailor boys in Miami, King Harald said yesterday was the best birthday present he could have got.

- We're going to play.

The clock has just struck 4 on Miami Beach and there are many hours left of the King's 67th birthday. He himself says that the best birthday present he could have got, was to get well enough to sail with the boys.

-It is more than good enough for a birthday present, says the King and adds that he doesn't know what the rest of the evening will bring.

- But I have the feeling that those boys over there have something in mind, says the King. He smiles and nods over to his crew who're cleaning up in the sailboat after today's sail

At the breakfast table the sailor-friends sang the birthday song and treated the King to cake.

- What is the goal for the regatta?

- To finish. We're going to play and have fun, answers the King on VG's question.

To play and have fun is something none of us begrudge the cancer-operated monarch at the moment.

(VG 22.02.04 kl. 08:1
Okay. Cool. Thanks for the articles too.

Today King Harald was certified well enough to take up again his constitutional duties, reports the Palace. That means that the Crown Prince has now been relieved of the extra duties usually falling on the monarch. :flower:

Originally posted by norwegianne@Apr 13th, 2004 - 6:13 am
Today King Harald was certified well enough to take up again his constitutional duties, reports the Palace. That means that the Crown Prince has now been relieved of the extra duties usually falling on the monarch. :flower:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

That is great that the King is feeling well enough again. I guess that Easter trip was a big help, too. He certainly looked better from the pictures I saw; still quite thin, but with some colour back in him again.

Three cheers to the King!!! Hopefully he will recover completely!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom