No, they do bring the flags out for National holidays (the Royal family's birthday, Church holidays, historic holidays), but even if I thought of his birthday just that morning I had trouble imagining why... Besides we have a church holiday today, and I thought it was that I had missed. (I have trouble remembering all the church holidays.)
On another note: King in an interview with VG. http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=215841
"I was very scared"..
MIAMI BEACH (VG) It was a very afraid King Harald who lifted up the phone and called his doctor, an hour after he'd discovered blood in his urine.
Av STIG TORE LAUGEN og MATTIS SANDBLAD (foto)
DINKY FLAG: - Is that the only flag we brought, Kjell? It's so dinky, said the 67- year old and laughed when Kjell Arne Myrann fastened the Norwegian flag, with the King's Monogram on the sailboat the "Fram-gang" has rented for the regatta.
-I never reacted in a panic manner, but I was very afraid when I called the doctor, King Harald told us from the harbour in Miami Beach yesterday afternoon local time.
-How long did it take before the King contacted a doctor?
- I waited for an hour before I called. Then the doctors took over, and I feared nothing. All I thought of was getting well again, is the King's answer to VG's question.
The contrast is big, from the day in November back in Oslo when he discovered the illness, to the hot afternoon sun in Florida. The king has just arrived in the harbour after having practised for several hours with the crew before thursday's regatta.
- I told the boys, when I was in the hospital, not to cancel this trip. And here we are. I didn't quite think I'd get here myself, the 67 year old tells us.
-How did the King react when he was told he had cancer?
- I don't know if I grasped it, and thought this doesn't happen to me, he tells us and drags his left hand over his face.
The sweat comes. It is hot and the King is a bit tired after the sailing.
-I feel healthy, but I notice that I can't do as much as I did before, says the monarch and adds that it changes constantly.
- I've had ups and downs, says King Harald, who claimed that he hasn't changed how he lives after the operation. Until he reminds himself that he's stopped smoking.
- Yes, I've quit.
-How was it?
-Disappointingly easy, says the King and laughs.
After the large operation before Christmas he has mainly stayed at the Kongsseter, without doing anything else but taking it easy.
-It has been boring. But the fact that I'm bored proves that I'm getting better again. I hope so, at least, says the King, who're counting on being back from his sick leave after Easter.
-How does the King feel that the Crown Prince Regent has performed.
-Just so well I thought he would, the King states, and tells us that he hasn't given Crown Prince Haakon any special advice during his own sick-period.
- Not now, but I have done before. What I said, just now, is that I don't exist, but I'm still here, the King says cryptically and smiles.
RENTED BOAT: When King Harald and his crew thursday participate in the regatta Acura SORC it happens in a rented Farr-sailboat.
Wants to be friends.
Even if he yesterday celebrated his 67th year, thus reaching the Norwegian age of retirement, King Harald has no plans of slowing down.
-I can't do it, it's either or. I'll be back full-time.
The relationship with his older sister, Princess Ragnhild, was brought out in the open.
King Harald says he hasn't seen the actual TV2-documentary, but tells us that he has read a bit about it in the papers.
- I have talked to her several times lately, and got a birthday present, tells the King.
- Have you talked about it?
- I hope we're friends. If not, we're certainly going to become it, says King Harald and acknowledges that this is a conflict he'd rather not have.
- It is sad if it destroys the family enjoyment, but this can happen in most families, says the King, who a month ago became a grandfather, for the second time in under a year.
-It's very nice, says King Harald, who think he'll miss the two of them during the upcoming week in Miami
-I'll probably do that. But I saw them latest the day before yesterday, says the birthday boy.
THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT: To be well enough to celebrate his 67th birthday with the sailor boys in Miami, King Harald said yesterday was the best birthday present he could have got.
- We're going to play.
The clock has just struck 4 on Miami Beach and there are many hours left of the King's 67th birthday. He himself says that the best birthday present he could have got, was to get well enough to sail with the boys.
-It is more than good enough for a birthday present, says the King and adds that he doesn't know what the rest of the evening will bring.
- But I have the feeling that those boys over there have something in mind, says the King. He smiles and nods over to his crew who're cleaning up in the sailboat after today's sail
At the breakfast table the sailor-friends sang the birthday song and treated the King to cake.
- What is the goal for the regatta?
- To finish. We're going to play and have fun, answers the King on VG's question.
To play and have fun is something none of us begrudge the cancer-operated monarch at the moment.
(VG*22.02.04 kl. 08:1