King Harald diagnosed with Cancer '03

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Torkel@Dec 1st, 2003 - 9:33 am
The Constitution only allows the heir (is the first in line) to the throne to act as Regent. A Queen Consort is not able to act as regent. If there is no heir, or if the immediate heir is not available as Regent, the Cabinet will act jointly as regents. Thus Princess Märtha-Louise, as second-in-line to the throne is not available as Regent.
Thank you for this explanation, Torkel. It was most helpful. I thought that perhaps Queen Sonja could step in for her husband and her son during the time of the new baby's birth. And that perhaps the situation of acting regeant was similar to that in Denmark, where if Queen Margrethe is on sick leave or otherwise unavailable and so is CP Frederik, then Prince Joachim followed by Princess Benedikte can step in. I didn't realize the situation was much more limited or restricted in Norway.

Hopefully though while King Harald is recuperating and getting back his strength, CP Haakon can have some time with the new baby and help Mette-Marit with him or her, too.

Stupid question- how does one just...REMOVE the bladder? How would he go to the little boys' room afterwards? Would he get a prosthetic bladder..as he would a leg? :wacko:

Imagine Scandinavia

Attachments

• NY_harald_501.jpg
    NY_harald_501.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 301
  • NY_harald_501a.jpg
    NY_harald_501a.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:
www.colourpress.com

Oslo, Norway - Norway's King Harald with his wife Queen Sonja, was taken to the central hospital, Rikshospitalet, in Oslo at 8.00 a.m. Saturday morning, December 6, to undergo surgery next week, due to cancer.

Attachments

• NY_harald_500.jpg
    NY_harald_500.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 220
  • NY_sonja_500.jpg
    NY_sonja_500.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 246
  • NY_harald_sonja_500.jpg
    NY_harald_sonja_500.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 255
  • NY_harald_sonja_500a.jpg
    NY_harald_sonja_500a.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 265
  • NY_harald_sonja_500b.jpg
    NY_harald_sonja_500b.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 244
  • NY_harald_sonja_500c.jpg
    NY_harald_sonja_500c.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 238
  • NY_harald_sonja_500d.jpg
    NY_harald_sonja_500d.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 242
Has there been any news on King Harald's medical condition these last 2 days?
I hope he gets well soon.

I think the King was scheduled to undergo his operation today, 8 December. And after that I think he will have to undergo treatment to stave off the cancer, like chemo.

Not a pleasant thing to have to go through, chemo can be hell to have to undergo and to watch someone you love endure it.

He underwent surgery today and the official statement from the doctors:

Legebulletin mandag 8. desember kl. 16.15

Hans Majestet Kongen er i dag mandag 8. desember 2003 operert på Rikshospitalet for kreft i urinblæren. Operasjonsteamet var satt sammen av personell fra Radiumhospitalet og Rikshospitalet, og ble ledet av overlegene Trygve Talseth og Håkon Wæhre.

Legene opplyser at det kirurgiske inngrepet har forløpt etter planen, uten komplikasjoner. Det er ikke funnet forandringer som taler for spredning av kreften. Kongen har fått ny urinblære. Tilstanden etter inngrepet er helt tilfredsstillende.

Kongen er koblet fra respirator og er flyttet tilbake til sitt rom på intensivavdelingen.

It sounds promising. :flower: There will be frequent press-releases from the doctors and the palace as time goes by...

Thanks a lot for the update. I know Alexandria it can be terrible for both the pacient and the family. Haakon's right now in charge of all the duties right?

Thank you Norwegianne for this update from the palace. It is nice that the palace will keep concerned members of the public up to date on the condition and progress of the King and his prognosis.

Another update as of 20:00, from The palace

Legebulletin mandag 8. desember kl. 20.00

Legene ved Rikshospitalet opplyser at Hans Majestet Kongens tilstand etter operasjonen fortsatt er meget tilfredsstillende. Han er våken og får adekvat smertebehandling.

I uke 50 vil det bli sendt ut daglige legebulletiner kl. 10.00 og 17.00, eller ved behov

Yes, I saw it on, of all places, Cnn. It said that it was successful too.

Yea, question- how will Harald survive without a bladder? Will he get a prosthetic one? HOw does one just REMOVE a bladder??

Actually, many men survive without a gall bladder. Gall stones also require the removal of the bladder.

Originally posted by King Christian@Dec 9th, 2003 - 12:16 am
Gall stones also require the removal of the bladder.
Not always I think. Isn't there some kind of laser zapper to dissolve gall stones thereby circumventing surgery?

Whatever, I hope someone is available to give Queen Sonja the extra love and support she will need.

Originally posted by zhontella+Dec 9th, 2003 - 3:24 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zhontella @ Dec 9th, 2003 - 3:24 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-King Christian@Dec 9th, 2003 - 12:16 am
Gall stones also require the removal of the bladder.
Not always I think. Isn't there some kind of laser zapper to dissolve gall stones thereby circumventing surgery?

Whatever, I hope someone is available to give Queen Sonja the extra love and support she will need. [/b][/quote]
The doctors have put in a fake bladder. And the king has chosen a method in which he's to get rid of the "toxic waste" from the body, which method he has chosen is not known. (Even if they try to be open about this, there are some things I do not want to know.)

Today's statement from the doctors:

Legebulletin tirsdag 9. desember kl. 10.00

Hans Majestet Kongen har sovet store deler av natten. Han er våken og har det bra. Alle prøver og funksjoner er meget tilfredsstillende, opplyser legene på Rikshospitalet.

Basically it looks like he's going to be fine. Or so the doctors think.

why not HM Queen Sonja needs stays with him all the times because HM Kings had surgery with cancer of bladder.

im sure im glad he doing looks great!

Sara Boyce

Queen Sonja was at the palace while the operation was taking place, or so the press said... I'm sure she's visiting him as soon as she can.

Yeah there is a stone disolving procedure involving the use of a laser.

This discussion has turned a slight turn to ....Anyway, congratulations? to Harald for a successful operation. This hope it will be a quick and easy recuperation.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/ar...rticleID=689029

King Harald continues to improve

Norway's King Harald is recovering so well from his bladder cancer surgery on Monday that doctors see no further need for daily bulletins. Crown Princess Mette-Marit, meanwhile, is about to begin her official maternity leave.

can anybody expand on this artificial bladder thing?

Originally posted by King Christian@Dec 18th, 2003 - 1:45 am
There are a few alternatives to operate...but in almost all cases a piece of the Illeum is used to build to a new bladder, but the way of drain/ flow is different. In some cases, the urine is collected in a bag, outside the stomach, or the urine is exhausted in the area around the umbilicus with a tube (you don´t need a bag, because a valve is included), or a piece of the colon is used, and you drain the urine with the stool.
And a modern form (especially used for men) is to connect the piece of the Ileum with the Urethra, so that you can urinate in the "normal" way.
If I would be in king Harald´s position I would ask for the fourth alternative...not a big change to his life before.

Lena  Posted: Dec 18th, 2003 - 12:29 pm
(King Christian @ Dec 18th, 2003 - 1:45 am)

There are a few alternatives to operate...but in almost all cases a piece of the Illeum is used to build to a new bladder, but the way of drain/ flow is different. In some cases, the urine is collected in a bag, outside the stomach, or the urine is exhausted in the area around the umbilicus with a tube (you don´t need a bag, because a valve is included), or a piece of the colon is used, and you drain the urine with the stool.
And a modern form (especially used for men) is to connect the piece of the Ileum with the Urethra, so that you can urinate in the "normal" way.

Now I am really confused. The bladder as far as I know is near the stomach, under the liver, and is also called the gall bladder. The bladders function is ______ ?

For urine to be cleansed, I thought was the job of the kidneys.

Is there some sort of typographical error and/or translation error here?

Originally posted by King Christian@Dec 18th, 2003 - 9:48 pm
Lena  Posted: Dec 18th, 2003 - 12:29 pm
(King Christian @ Dec 18th, 2003 - 1:45 am)

Now I am really confused. The bladder as far as I know is near the stomach, under the liver, and is also called the gall bladder. The bladders function is ______ ?

For urine to be cleansed, I thought was the job of the kidneys.

Is there some sort of typographical error and/or translation error here?
As much as I know "bladder" is used in common speech for the "vesica uriniara"- the hollow organ, where the urine is collected, which is located in the minor pelvis, and which is connected through the 2 ureters with the 2 kidneys and through the urethra the urine flows off.That what you mean is a bladder too, but you usually say gallbladder to it, or vesicia biliaris/fellea, and that is located in the area of the liver (the liver has a little sinking, because of the gallbladder).
So in the case of a patients, who suffers from bladder cancer (and where the cancer is not on the surface of the bladder located), surgeons are re-forming a new bladder=vesica urinaria with a piece of the bowel...and just the ways of draining are different. <-That was it, what I wanted to say with my former post.

Today King Harald was deemed well enough to leave the hospital, earlier than first anticipated. http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=206508 He'll have a period of two-three months rest. The doctors are relatively sure that they have removed all the cancer, and have declared that he's well.

And because of the function...the function of the bladder is just to COLLECT the urine, which was filtered before in the kidneys. The kidneys recirculate the organism all realisable, necessary substances, and the not necessary things are dropped (with water) as urine. The kidneys are producing such urine all the time, but nobody can sit on the toilet all the time, that´s why we have a bladder ;)

Originally posted by norwegianne@Dec 19th, 2003 - 7:06 am
Today King Harald was deemed well enough to leave the hospital, earlier than first anticipated. http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=206508 He'll have a period of two-three months rest. The doctors are relatively sure that they have removed all the cancer, and have declared that he's well.
He looks good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom