General News & Information for King Harald V and Queen Sonja: 2006 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's time for the crown prince and princess to step up now and share some of the work load like Frederick and Mary do ......the king has been working hard

I agree, but most of what King Harald does takes place inside the palace and Haakon does much on his own already! And I think that he does as much as Frederik, if not more.

Hope King Harald feels better soon. He is a favorite of mine.

I agree, but most of what King Harald does takes place inside the palace and Haakon does much on his own already! And I think that he does as much as Frederik, if not more.

Arrr I didn't realise that , thanks for updating me ?

King Harald has canceled several engagements this week too, but he will have several audiences at the palace.

King Harald must cancel engagement with Mette-Marit because of back trouble
Kong Harald må avlyse markering med Mette-Marit på grunn av ryggtrøbbel - TV2.no
King Harald is struggling with back pain. The King will have a slightly reduced program this week, the palace says.

The King should have been present together with the Crown Princess during the celebration of the Norwegian Red Cross 150th anniversary Wednesday (yesterday).

It was also planned a meeting at the Norwegian Athletics Veterans Thursday this week, but this was also canceled.

kongehuset.no - Kondolanse
Condolences

Condolences are sent to Statoil from His Majesty King Harald.

04/29/2016

I have with great sadness received the news of the helicopter accident at Turøy near Bergen. On behalf of myself and the Royal Family, I express our condolences and deepest sympathy to the bereaved and all those affected.

Harald R

Finland celebrates in 2017 100 years of independence. President Sauli Niinistö told about the celebrations to the press on Tuesday.
Among other things, the centenary year will also feature in the President’s trips abroad and visits from overseas to Finland. For example, on 1 June, visits to Finland will be made by all of the Nordic heads of state i.e. the monarchs of Sweden, Norway and Denmark, and the President of Iceland.
President Niinistö to visit all Finnish regions during the centenary year - The President of the Republic of Finland

Article with video by TV2 News Channel - translated by me: Her drar kongen og dronningen på påskeferie
The King and Queen travels on Easter holiday

King Harald and Queen Sonja will this year celebrate Easter in the Norwegian mountains - at the so-called Prinsehytta (Prince cabin in Sikkilsdalen.

The royal couple left Oslo (early friday afternoon) by train to Vinstra. From there they travels to the cabin by car and tracked vehicles.

TV2's reporter got the chance to ask a quick question while the royal couple boarded the royal carriage.

''How is it for the royal couple to go on Easter holiday now?''

''Nice, thank you'', the Queen said.

Traveling to Sikkilsdalen

The tour goes to the Prince cabin in Sikkilsdalen, where the royal couple have celebrated Easter many times.

''The Prince cabin was as the name implies originally only one cabin - and was during the union with Sweden a gift to the Swedish princes for use as a hunting lodge. After 1905, the cabin stood unused for many years - until the Swedish royals in 1924 gave it to the then Crown Prince Olav as a birthday present'', said TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland.

Treasure hunt

Since then, the Prince cabin - which today has become a small cabin facility with five cottages around a small yard - has been a favorite place for the royal family both at Easter and in the autumn for grouse and moose hunting.

''I've been in Sikkilsdalen at Easter for a couple of times, and it really is an idyllic spot at the entrance to Jotunheimen. The royal family members used to participate in local treasure hunting and ski races in the valley on Easter Saturday - and the press was allowed to take pictures. In recent years, the royal couple and their friends has stayed at home in the cabin - when they are not on their long skiing trips'', says Totland.

USA tour?

The younger generations also used to spend the Easter holiday in Sikkilsdalen, but after the Crown Prince couple got their own cottage in Uvdal, they have preferred to be there.

''Maybe they'll take a trip to the US to meet Marius, but we don't know'', says Totland.

The King and Queen arrives at Vinstra station - video by NRK: https://www.nrk.no/ho/1.13466815

Last edited:
Kjell Arne Totland‏ @TV2KjellArne
STATE VISIT TO CHINA #KingHarald & #QueenSonja of #Norway will make a #StateVisit to #China in autumn 2018.

Last edited:
Jarle Heitmann (Ap) (Norwegian Labour Party), wants to build a statue of King Harald and Queen Sonja in Tromsø with the help of business people:
Vil samle næringslivet for å reise statue av kongeparet -itromso.no
It has almost become a tradition to build royal statues in Tromsø. From before, King Haakon VII stands in the City Hall Park and King Olav V in the King Park.

Now, Tromsø can get a new royal statue.

"I walked around the city and started thinking about the royal statues when the royal yacht passed Tromsø. Then I began to philosophize about where the next generation of royal statues would stand," says Jarle Heitmann.
I can't translate entire articles anymore due to copyright rules, but he (Jarle Heitmann) shared the idea on Facebook and has received several suggestions. He also believes that the planning should begin as soon as possible.

Tromsø is in a financial crisis, so he is aware that the municipality can't manage to finance a project like this alone and wants business peoples to contribute.

The statues of Haakon and Olav was built after their death, but In this case, King Harald and Queen Sonja will be alive when the statue is unveiled.

Jarle Heitmann says "There has always been a discussion about honoring people when they are dead. I see that point, but I think it would have been nice if we had got the King and Queen to unveil the statue before they passes away.''

The politician has a thought about when the potential statue is to be unveiled.

"I think if it's unveiled in 2021 it would have been appropriate. Because then the royal couple has been on the throne for 30 years'', says Heitmann.

This was a summary written by me and not a translation.

Last edited:
https://www.op.no/nyheter/larvik/herregarden/her-onsker-de-kongens-signatur/s/5-36-428571

Summary from me - with some quotes from the article:

The signatures and inscriptions in Herregårdsbakken are being refurbished. And now, the project manager Knut Hjalmar Gulliksen hopes that the King will add his signature in the mountain.

6 other Kings have done it: Christian V in 1685, Frederik IV in 1704, Christian VI in 1733, Frederik V in 1749, Haakon VII in 1946 and Olav V in 1971.

In 2014 (in connection with the 200th Anniversary of Norway's Constitution), Larvik municipality was in contact with the Palace with a desire to get King Harald to Larvik to put his signature in the mountain, but the attempt did not succeed.

Now Gulliksen and the project group through the county governor have approached the palace again.

"We have approached the palace and are waiting for answers.''

In 2014, the Palace did not give the impression that they were negative to the idea, but there must be a occasion..

Now Gulliksen hopes that the King can visit Larvik in December on the occasion of the opening of the new Farris Bridge, and at the same time also inscribe his inscription in the mountain.

Last edited:
The Norwegian News Agency - Norsk Telegrambyrå in Norwegian (NTB) accidentally announced that the King was dead. - The king is in good shape, says the palace to NRK, TV2 and VG.

The Norwegian News Agency is the equwalant of The Press Association (PA) in the UK and Associated Press (AP) in the US.

The Norwegian News Agency is the equivalent of The Press Association (PA) in the UK and Associated Press (AP) in the US.

Two of many articles about it - translated quotes from me:
https://www.nrk.no/kultur/norsk-telegrambyra-erklaerte-kong-harald-dod-1.13706450
"Norway is in grief. King Harald V is dead, xx years old. The king died xxxx (day/date) (home/hospital or the like) at xxx.

This is how the message from Norsk Telegrambyrå (NTB) begins. It was sent to all its customers in Norwegian media houses, including NRK.

The unfinished text was sent to NTB subscribers at. 12.06. At 12.09, the news agency sent out a new message that they retracted the nekrologue.
News editor Ole Kristian Bjellaanes in NTB regrets the error when NRK contacts him.

''Unfortunately, this has happened by mistake. Of course, it was not meant to go out. This is probably due to a technical error, but I cant say anything about what it is due to, at the moment,'' says Bjellaanes, who says they are now working to find the error.

The news editor says he is sorry for the message being sent to NTB's customers.

"It’s a terribly sad situation, and we’re sorry for it. We quickly sent out a correction message, but we are sorry this happened and it is a type of mistake that obviously will not happen again, ''says Bjellaanes.
Assistant communications manager Svein Gjeruldsen at the Palace confirms to NRK that the King is alive and in good shape.

"I have heard that NTB has sent out a message, and I can confirm that the King is in good shape," said Gjeruldsen in a brief comment.
Crown Prince Haakon confirms that everything is well with Norway's head of state when NRK mets him at an event in Langesund in Telemark on Tuesday afternoon.

''He king is in good shape. I realized it was quickly corrected, "said the Crown Prince to NRK.

NTB meldte at kongen var død
''Unfortunately, there was a technical error that sent a message that should not be published, says news editor Ole Kristian Bjellaanes to TV 2. (a bit strange that a technical error can send a message, but thats what the article says)

Does NTB know anything about the King's health that we don't? (TV2 asks)

"No," said the news editor.
The King is alive

Svein Gjeruldsen, Assistant Communications Manager at the Palace, confirms that King Harald is alive. He was familiar with the NTB error when TV 2 contacted.

"There is nothing wrong with the King's health. He is in good shape,'' says Gjeruldsen.
When CEO and editor Mads Yngve Storvik in NTB visited TV 2 News Channel, he was able to tell that everyone on the desk in NTB did what they could to minimize the damage.

"We can only help but regret, especially to King Harald," says Storvik.

The necrologue was made in advance so it will come out quickly when King Harald actually dies. When someone in NTB was updating it, it was mistakenly published.

NTB will now go through its systems so that this does not happen again.
A scandal

TV 2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland calls it a scandal - which is incredibly embarrasing for NTB.

"This is something that should not happen - and at least not at NTB, which serves all the media in Norway. And it went on for four minutes before the news was withdrawn.''he says, adding: To my knowledge, this is the first time this has happened to a member of the royal family in Norway. But we have seen examples of the same abroad - in the UK.

Last edited:
I'd say that all the missing details (xxx) would be a very clear indication that it was sent out by accident.

:previous: Agree! And I think nobody doubted this was an error.

The same happened to Prince Philip in a Telegraph article earlier this year. But this is the Norwegian News Agency, and the error (who is all over the news here) is therefore more serious.

And bear in mind, the King is also a bit frail: He has trouble walking, breathes heavily when going in stairs and has seemed a bit tired in the past year.

So people is worried about him, and this error made some journalists wonder, does NTB know anything about the King's health that we don't? (which was what TV2 asked).

Is it more to it? No, I don't think so.

It was just as NTB said, the necrologue was made in advance so it will come out quickly when the King actually dies. When someone in NTB was updating it, it was mistakenly published.

Last edited:
The Queen cancels her two engagements tomorrow due to back pain.

She will be replaced by the Crown Princess at the opening of "The Queen's yes" - an exhibition highlighting the role of the Queen in the Middle Ages, Erkebispegården, Trondheim.

The King (without the Queen) and the CP couple will later attend the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation in Nidaros Cathedral. NRK1 sends the service live from 19:30 to 20:55.

Sven G. Gjeruldsen, Assistant Communications Manager at the Royal Court says to Dagbladet that there is no reason for panic.
https://www.dagbladet.no/kjendis/kronprinsessen-stepper-inn-for-dronning-sonja/68836647

Last edited:
NTB article for Nettavisen and other media outlets with google translation and some quotes translated by me:
Rolig 81-årsdag for kong Harald - translation
After last year's large-scale celebrations of the King and Queen's 80th birthdays, the monarch will play it down on Wednesday.

The King turns 81 during the winter holidays for Oslo (it varies from county to county), a week without official engagements for the royal family.

"The day will be celebrated privately," says Sven Gjeruldsen, Deputy Communications Manager at the court, to NTB. He don't want to say what the royals will be doing during the holidays.
HM always celebrates his non-milestone birthdays in private, so not sure about the point of this article.

Is Alexander Vik a close friend of the King and Queen? Royal Norway has mentioned criticism received by members of the Royal House for having wealthy friends or accepting gifts from them.

:previous: No, he's not. Alexander Vik (born 1955) and his billionaire 90-year-old father Erik Martin Vik are both quite controversial here and have never seemed to have any close relationship with the royal family. - But it is not uncommon for the court to contact wealthy people to ask them if they can put their property at the disposal for the King and Queen (the same has happened when the prime minister has been on vacation, with her/his office contacting rich people to ask them if they can put their property at the disposal).

Friends of the King and Queen:
Most of them are ordinary people who are childhood friends or former employees at the court such as the 67-year-old Berit Tversland (Haakon and Märtha's nanny and later cabinet secretary to the King 2000–2012). - They are also close to QMII.

People they are friendly with (not close friends):

Many people whom the Queen has met in her work with art and culture. - Here's some of them:

Magne Furuholmen (born 1962): Norwegian musician and visual artist, keyboardist of the synthpop/rock band A-ha. - Attended the 80th birthday gala dinner at the palace on May 9th, 2017.

Christen Sveaas (born 1956): Norwegian businessman, art collector and yes, billionaire in Norwegian kroner. - Attended the 80th birthday gala dinner at the palace on May 9th, 2017.

Christian Ringnes (born 1954): Norwegian businessman, art collector and yes, billionaire in Norwegian kroner. - Attended the 80th birthday gala dinner at the palace on May 9th, 2017.

Stein Erik Hagen (born 1956): Norwegian businessman, art collector and yes, billionaire in Norwegian kroner. He was not invited (or didn't accept the invitation) to the 80th birthday gala dinner at the palace on May 9th, 2017. - Why?
A quote from post 117 in the ''Norway: Republic or monarchy?'' thread:
But it was not just the renovation that made 1998 a terrible year. The famous horse scandal also created headlines.

The King gave the wealthy businessman Stein Erik Hagen permission to buy a horse (to 8.1 million Norwegian kroner) to Märtha. When the king later the same year opened a seminar at a newly opened shopping center in the Latvian capital Riga, which Hagen owned a large part of, he (the king) was heavily criticized in the media.

They meant that the King only opened the seminar in Riga to give thanks to Stein Erik Hagen for the gift (the horse).

This also proved to be false, and the king later said (in an interview) that it's not him who decides what things he opens or not.
After this, he has not wanted to be seen in public with Their Majesties or other members of the NRF (although he has met Haakon and MM at the World Economic Forum in Davos). - Why? Because (in his own words) he don't want to harm the Monarchy.

Friends of the CP couple:
They are close friends with a bunch of wealthy people, but so are Charles/Camilla, the Cambridges, Harry, QMII, KCG/QSilvia, Frederik/Mary and Victoria/Daniel.
The difference is that they are never criticized for it in the British, Danish and Swedish (in contrast to Haakon/MM in the Norwegian media). - To those who have not visited the ''Republic or monarchy?'' thread, read about it in this post:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/norway-republic-or-monarchy-17117-7.html#post2051615

More about the King's birthday tomorrow:

Articles from Norway Today and Royal Central:

Quiet 81th anniversary of King Harald - Norway Today
The Norwegian royal house always shields private holidays and anniversaries, but in recent years the markings of the Constitution’s 200th anniversary, the 25th anniversary of the royal couple on the throne followed by their 80th birthdays have been duly celebrated. During the Christmas program “The Royal Family 2017” on NRK, the king said he feels that the celebrations in 2018 will be sharply reduced. Even their Golden Wedding Anniversary, on August 29, will be toned down.

“It’s going to be a family anniversary, I think. Norwegian family anniversary, the king said, and received support from Queen Sonja.

“Enough is enough,” he said.
It was the Queen who said that, not the King.

King Harald could have become King at the age of three – Royal Central
On Wednesday, King Harald of Norway turns 81-years-old. There will be no big celebration like last year, but a private celebration with friends and the closest family. On the occasion of the King of Norway’s birthday, we will look at the not so well known history of His Majesty.

King Harald was only a prince and three-years-old when the Germans invaded Norway during World War II. King Harald’s grandfather, Haakon VII, refused to accept the Germans and urged Norwegians to fight. The King’s refusal of the Germans resulted was unexpected, and even the civilian population resisted the Germans. While King Haakon and Crown Prince Olav fought against the Germans in Norway, Crown Princess Märtha travelled with their children to Sweden in 1940.

Read more to see what Oskar Aanmoen means with ''the not so well known history of His Majesty'' (a history that, IMO, is very well known here).

Last edited:
The King is 81 today:

Tweets from Oskar Aanmoen (Europe correspondent for Royal Central, he is from Norway BTW):

Oskar Aanmoen @OAanmoen
King Harald will mark his birthday privately with family and friends. He is likely on vacation, something he usually is on his birthday. #King Harald's popularity has never been higher than it is now, says Norwegian media.

Oskar Aanmoen @OAanmoen
King Harald is today 81 years old. He is Norway's most popular monarch in history. Here are some pictures I've taken of him in the last year. Long live the #King!

Well, ''Norway's most popular monarch in history'' is a strong thing to say, but I agree (at least when it comes to the history with our own independent monarchy - established in 1905).

Royal Central article:
Happy Birthday King Harald! – Royal Central
His Majesty King Harald of Norway is 81-years-old today. To mark the King’s birthday, a 21-gun salute was fired today at noon from the cannons at Akershus Fortress in Oslo. Many people had turned up to watch the tribute in honour of the King. It is tradition in Norway to have a gun salute from 11 fortresses in Norway for the birthdays of King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

King Harald was the first King of Norway born on Norwegian soil in 567 years. He was born at the Skaugum Estate on 21 February 1937 and is the son of King Olav of Norway and his wife Märtha, who was Crown Princess of Norway and was born a Princess of Sweden.

NTB article for NRK, VG and other media outlets with google translation and some quotes translated by me:
Kongebiograf: – Kong Harald blir mer populær jo eldre han blir - NRK - translation
Wednesday, King Harald turns 81. It will be celebrated privately and probably on a winter holiday. The folksyness, closeness and infectious laughter are just some of the things that have made him very popular, and the royal biographer Tor Bomann-Larsen thinks the popularity is increasing.

''In general, the older the king is, the more popular he becomes. As such, there is no downside for a king to grow old. The longer a King or Queen sits (he means on the throne), the more it demonstrates the sense of duty towards people and his position. This is something people know to appreciate. The position of King Harald will only become stronger. Even with a holiday and some time for himself, nobody is in any doubt about who is king in this country," says Bomann-Larsen to NTB.
King Harald has also given the term "people's king" a new dimension: Jordnærhet (down to earth in english), importantly the word: nær (means close in Norwegian). Especially some of his speeches in recent years have been praised for being inclusive and touching. After the July 22th tragedy, he cried with the people, he travels to the areas when disasters strike (in Norway), he laughs at himself and seems unsnobbish.
Bomann-Larsen believes King Harald has many good years in front of him as a king, and an active one.

''His grandfather, King Haakon VII, set the standard when he said that "a king is either dead or alive", There is no alternative to retreat, even if he had to do it after he broke his hip, and King Olav suffered a stroke the year before he died.

But King Harald stands out by having had a serious illness, but he came back''.
Tor Bomann-Larsen is a very serious guy. - Read about him here:
Tor Bomann-Larsen - Wikipedia
The Brage Pize was awarded for Bomann-Larsens second volume of his biographie of King Haakon VII and Queen Maud of Norway. After seven volumes, the latest published in 2016, the time period covers more than 70 years, from the birth of royal princess Maud of Wales in 1869 until the relationship between The US president Franklin D Roosevelt and Norwegian Crown Princess Märtha during World War II.
I'm currently reading the 7th volume now (not easy to find the time, but a very interesting read).

I agree with him that here in Norway, ''the older the king is, the more popular he becomes'' (that also happened with Haakon VII and Olav V).
And as a journalist said it some years ago (I think it was the king's biographer Per Egil Hegge): In Norway you must have some gray hair on your head to be a popular monarch.
But as other commentators here says, the King is popular due to his personality, not just his age.

TV2 article with photos of HM - google translation and some quotes translated by me:
Kong Harald fyller 81 år - TV2 - translation
In early November, King Harald visited some of the areas in southern Norway that were hit by flooding in October.

Many houses were underwater and roads were washed away in what was one of the worst floods in southern Norway.

Just a few days later, the king traveled to the official reception ceremony at the Ørland Air Station in connection with Norway's purchase of 52 F-35Fighters.
November became a tough month for His Majesty. At the end of the month, it was known that King Harald was admitted to the Rikshospitalet in Oslo due to an infection.

But not many days after, the royal house could announce that His Majesty King was in good shape and discharged from the hospital again.

The court did not want to disclose what kind of infection the king was affected by.

However, he proved to be in good shape when he held this year's New Year's speech, where bullying and mental health were key themes.
August 29 this year, it's the time for another celebration. Then the royal couple has been married for 50 years - and can celebrate their golden wedding anniversary.

King Harald and Queen Sonja, however, have decided that there has been enough with magnificent official celebration with them in the center for a while, and have just decided to have a more dimmed celebration with the family.

"But the day will not go completely unnoticed. Newspapers and magazines will probably be full of stuff about the popular golden wedding anniversary couple'', says royal expert Kjell Arne Totland.

STORT TILLYKKE: Norges populære kong Harald fylder 81 år
King Harald is more popular than ever in his native country. Wednesday, the charismatic and folksy monarch turns 81.

According to the Norwegian VG (newspaper) King Harald is more popular than ever among his countrymen.

Shortly before Christmas, the love of the people was once again emphasized when King Harald received the award ''the year's name'' by the newspaper.

From me: Yes, beloved is a strong word (and I only uses it about 3 public persons in this world), but he is.
And as Kjell Arne Totland said last year, I don't think that word is strong enough to describe him (perhaps extremely beloved is more fitting).

Two videos from today:

VG video: Latterkongen har bursdag

Dagbladet video:
BTW: The messages is pouring in to him on facebook.

Last edited:
:previous:

Many thanks for the articles and translated quotes.

:previous: No, he's not. Alexander Vik (born 1955) and his billionaire 90-year-old father Erik Martin Vik are both quite controversial here and have never seemed to have any close relationship with the royal family. - But it is not uncommon for the court to contact wealthy people to ask them if they can put their property at the disposal for the King and Queen (the same has happened when the prime minister has been on vacation, with her/his office contacting rich people to ask them if they can put their property at the disposal).

Friends of the King and Queen:
Most of them are ordinary people who are childhood friends or former employees at the court such as the 67-year-old Berit Tversland (Haakon and Märtha's nanny and later cabinet secretary to the King 2000–2012). - They are also close to QMII.

[...]

I have the greatest respect for the Norwegian monarchy's populism and unpretentiousness, specially King Harald's. Would any other royal monarch be able to sincerely maintain that most of their friends are ordinary people, including former employees?

It is a little surprising to learn that the royal court and the prime minister's office ask private citizens (with whom they do not have a close relationship) to lodge the royals or the prime minister for the purpose of private vacations. As I'm sure it would be difficult to rebuff the king or the prime minister, it seems to be a use of their privilege and power.

[...]

NTB article for NRK, VG and other media outlets with google translation and some quotes translated by me:
Kongebiograf: – Kong Harald blir mer populær jo eldre han blir - NRK - translation

Wednesday, King Harald turns 81. It will be celebrated privately and probably on a winter holiday. The folksyness, closeness and infectious laughter are just some of the things that have made him very popular, and the royal biographer Tor Bomann-Larsen thinks the popularity is increasing.

''In general, the older the king is, the more popular he becomes. As such, there is no downside for a king to grow old. The longer a King or Queen sits (he means on the throne), the more it demonstrates the sense of duty towards people and his position. This is something people know to appreciate. The position of King Harald will only become stronger. Even with a holiday and some time for himself, nobody is in any doubt about who is king in this country," says Bomann-Larsen to NTB.
King Harald has also given the term "people's king" a new dimension: Jordnærhet (down to earth in english), importantly the word: nær (means close in Norwegian). Especially some of his speeches in recent years have been praised for being inclusive and touching. After the July 22th tragedy, he cried with the people, he travels to the areas when disasters strike (in Norway), he laughs at himself and seems unsnobbish.
Bomann-Larsen believes King Harald has many good years in front of him as a king, and an active one.

''His grandfather, King Haakon VII, set the standard when he said that "a king is either dead or alive", There is no alternative to retreat, even if he had to do it after he broke his hip, and King Olav suffered a stroke the year before he died.

But King Harald stands out by having had a serious illness, but he came back''.

[...]

I also agree with him that here in Norway, ''the older the king is, the more popular he becomes'' (that also happened with Haakon VII and Olav V).
And as a journalist said it some years ago (I think it was the king's biographer Per Egil Hegge): In Norway you must have some gray hair on your head to be a popular monarch.
But as other commentators here says, the King is popular due to his personality, not just his age.

[...]

BTW: The messages is pouring in to him on facebook.

It slips from my memory that King Harald is in his eighties, for the very reason that he is wonderfully active and promptly returned to work upon his discharge from the hospital. It is delightful to hear that he has, justly, become more popular with age.

I have the greatest respect for the Norwegian monarchy's populism and unpretentiousness, specially King Harald's. Would any other royal monarch be able to sincerely maintain that most of their friends are ordinary people, including former employees?
You're very welcome! :flowers:

Agree! But that is also the case with the CP couple.
Yes, I know that I often whines about them hanging out with wealthy people, but many of their friends are (as those of the regent couple) ordinary people.
MM has also retained some of the friendships she had from before the wedding with Haakon.

It is a little surprising to learn that the royal court and the prime minister's office ask private citizens (with whom they do not have a close relationship) to lodge the royals or the prime minister for the purpose of private vacations. As I'm sure it would be difficult to rebuff the king or the prime minister, it seems to be a use of their privilege and power.
That has happened for the CP couple (even for princess Astrid) as well. It was also done for King Olav.

--------------------

BTW, I forgot to mention (in the post about royal friends) that the King and Queen is also friends with lensgreve (feudal count) Preben Ahlefeldt-Laurvig and his Norwegian born wife lensgrevinde (feudal countess) Brita Ahlefeldt-Laurvig (Danish nobility). - They attended the 80th birthday celebrations in May 2017.
The Ahlefeldt-Laurvigs are also friends with QMII.

Last edited:

[...]

Heu... does that not count to all royals these days, in all monarchies, that they maintaon long-lasting frienddhips with ordinary people? Just look to their partners. The time that they only mingled with aristocracy and high society is in the far past.

Definitely it appears to all European monarchies.

:previous: Thanks eya! :flowers:

I had actually forgotten about it. - Yes, I know, how is that even possible for a royal geek like me? Well, it must be due to the political crisis here in Norway - who dominates the media right now.

Read about it here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-the-norwegian-monarch-43060.html#post2083329

----------------

Oskar Aanmoen @OAanmoen
The Norwegian #royal court has confirmed to @RoyalCentral just now that according to the tradition, #King Harald and #Queen Sonja will spend the #Easter holiday at #Prinsehytta. The cabin is in the #mountains, sheltered from people and the press. The royal will spend time skiing.

Royal Central article:
King Harald and Queen Sonja’s Easter holiday plans revealed – Royal Central
The Royal Norwegian court has confirmed to Royal Central that His Majesty King Harald and Her Majesty Queen Sonja will spend the Easter holidays at Prinsehytta, according to tradition.

Traditionally, the royal couple travels to the Norwegian mountains on the Friday before Palm Sunday. The cabin called “Prinsehytta” (English: The Prince’s Cabin) is usually used by The King and Queen during the Easter festivities. His Majesty also uses the cabin on his annual hunting-holiday during the autumn. The cabin is relatively primitive and is sheltered from public and media. Here The Royal Family use their time to go skiing and to relax.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
:previous: Well, here is a translation of the statement:
H.M. The king is on sick leave.

His Majesty The King is on sick leave for the rest of the week - due to strain and pain in one of his foots.

During His Majesty's illness, HRH The Crown Prince will be regent in accordance with Article 41 in the Constitution.
And here's one of the many articles about it - with some quotes translated by me:
Kong Harald er sykmeldt - TV2
TV 2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland says the King has had problems with his legs for a number of years and that he has been operated a couple of times previously.

"Fortunately, the King has people around him who are taking care of him, and livlegen (his royal doctor) has probably advised him to take a little time-out," says Totland.

''First and foremost, I wish his Majesty a good and speedy recovery. We must not forget that King Harald has become a man of 81-years and that he is still very active in his job. And he still gives "Everything for Norway" (the King's royal motto),'' Totland says.
The operations on his legs were done quietly (without the media knowing it) a few years ago.

From me: The King is starting to look more and more frail - his walking is pretty bad, and he is breathing heavily (especially after going in stairs).

Read more about his current and previous health in this thread from November last year:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ital-with-an-infection-43777.html#post2038180

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom