"A Shopkeeper's Daughter" - Novel based on Harald & Sonja's lovestory

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Her_Majesty

Moderator Emeritus
City
Munich
Country
Germany
Everyone who admires the lovestory of King Harald and Queen Sonja will probably be interested in a new novel:
"A Shopkeeper's Daughter" is a novel based on Harald and Sonja's lovestory. The book was btw. written by our very talented TRF member Maura724. Congratultions! :flowers:

You can read more about the book here:
A Shopkeeper's Daughter - Home
There's also a facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/ashopkeepersdaughter

I'm looking forward to read it!

Last edited:
Thanks, Her_Majesty! :flowers:

If anyone else at TRF gets a chance to read the novel, I'd love to chat with you all about it. I'm fascinated to hear what my fellow royal watchers think, because I know you'll appreciate the book and all the research that went into it like no one else.

I actually did a lot of my early research here on the forums, so thank you to everyone whose brain I picked over the years. ;)

And as Her_Majesty says, you can find more information at the website or on the Facebook page.

I would love to read this story.

You can get a paperback or an ebook on Amazon or from Barnes & Noble. I'd love to hear your opinion if you do read it, Lucy!

I have just bought this through Kobo - as the Norwegian Royals are my favourite family I am very much looking forward to reading this.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, kathl! It's so cool to think about the book being read as far away as Australia. :flowers:

I finnished your book today! It was really lovely to read. Imo it was quite in character (well, as far as I imagine :lol:).
I also really enjoyed the story of Astrid and Johan Martin Ferner. Very sweet.
Since I admire Harald & Sonja I really enjoyed reading the book (although it's partly fictional as you stated before).:flowers:

I also finished your book today - I really enjoyed it. I thought you caught the essence of their story well. I also liked how much you put in the book of Princess Astrid (she has always been one of my faves!).

You obviously did a lot of research both in relation to their story and also regarding the ways of royalty and their advisors which I appreciated very much.

I also wrote a review for you on Goodreads. I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

I just tried to post and got an error, and it ate everything I'd typed. :sad: So let's try this again...apologies if the first one suddenly shows up and I have a double post.

I'm so glad you both enjoyed the book! :flowers: It's good to know you think I captured Harald and Sonja well. (I'm always nervous about disappointing fellow royal fans--to everyone else who reads the book, they're just characters, but to us, they're our Harald and Sonja, whom we already feel like we know.)

And yes, I love Astrid, too. Have either of you read much about her, or was a lot of what was in the novel new information for you?

I feel like she's highly underrated, and I wish there was more out there about her, although of course she hasn't done many representation duties for a long time. There's a fairly recent biography on her by Trond Noren Isaksen that's very good, and she herself wrote something of a memoir I think in the 1980s. They're both in Norwegian, though. (Fun with Google Translate! :lol:)

Kathl, thanks for taking the time to write a review on Goodreads! I always love reviews. :flowers:

I never pay full price for a book, but I 'm excited to go out and find this one this weekend at a book store... I love a good read!!!

You should be able to find it at Barnes & Noble, Sesa, since you're in the U.S. And if you're B&N doesn't have it, then they should be able to order it for you. I know they do have it on their website (for a discount), and it's discounted on Amazon as well. Happy reading! :flowers:

I've just finished your book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in NRF or Norway itself. :flowers:

I didn't realize how much of a deal a Prince/Princess match was back then, and we're talking about the 50s and 60s. I knew they were important in older times though. I didn't have much of an opinion on Harald and Sonja beforehand, but after having read your book, they're becoming one of my favourite royal couples as I really admire their love story, and the struggle they went through just to do a simple thing like getting engaged.

I also found it interesting to learn that Queen Sofia of Spain was considered as a potential bride for Harald, and I wonder if they still think of the engagement miss understanding whenever they see each other at royal events. :D And it was also nice to learn a little more about Princess Astrid and her marriage to Johan Ferner, as you hear nothing about them now that the NRF has expanded. I didn't really have much of an opinion on Queen Margrethe beforehand either, other than that she's very elegant, although after having read your book I really like her. She seems to be a very warm and friendly person.

I also enjoyed learning a bit of Norwegian as I'm interested in Scandinavia - it's my life's goal to visit all of it's countries, and I've visited one so far (Sweden). :p

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Hereditary Princess! I love Scandinavia too - I've been to Norway and Denmark (not Sweden yet), and I highly recommend them both.

The 60s were a huge watershed in royal marriage. It was the generation that was young then (most of today's monarchs and their siblings) that started marrying commoners in droves, much to the chagrin of most of their parents. Their parents' generation had all made royal/noble matches, but only about half of them married "traditionally." By the time their children were married, though, nearly everyone was marrying commoners.

I have also wondered for years, since I started working on the book, if things are ever "awkward" for Harald and Sophie (and possibly Sonja too) at royal events!

And yes, I love Margrethe, too. I hope I've got her right.

I add this to my "want to read" list on Goodreads. It will probably be the next book I read as I really need a fun book.

I'm planning on visiting Denmark sometime this year, as I've always wanted to see what it's like. I'd recommend Sweden - firstly I went to Stockholm, but secondly I went to Kiruna, near the Arctic Circle which is in fact Sweden's most northerly town. When I went to Stockholm, I visited the Royal Palace and Drottningholm. Both are lovely but personally, I enjoyed Drottningholm more. (And the Crêpes a la Prins Bertil at the café were a bonus - I even looked at the recipe online so I could have them back here in England! :p) I also thought that the Swedes were very friendly and helpful. Yes, Sweden is defiantly worth a visit. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to put Stockholm on my list...I've heard it's a very beautiful city! I'll be spending a day in Malmo this summer, because I'm going to Copenhagen to visit family and Malmo is an easy day trip, but that doesn't really "count" as a trip to Sweden!

In Copenhagen, of course don't miss Tivoli (who would, though?), but I especially recommend going at dusk and staying till after dark. All the lights are so pretty! I also highly recommend getting out of Copenhagen into the countryside, or even just into smaller cities, or heading up the coast to Kronborg Castle or the Blixen Museum. It's very pretty and peaceful, especially in the summer.

Last edited:
I finished this book today and loved, loved, LOVED it!!! I was a little bummed when I got to the end.

It was an easy book to read, which I needed after finishing a graduate class that involved a lot of intense reading. Since I knew of so many of the characters it was easy to follow. In fact several times I came here to read threads about Harald and Sonja, and to find pictures of them both past and present.

I really like that you, Maura, put the facts at the end of the book. I figured the conversations were not real, though the certainly seemed pretty darned real to me, but it was nice to see confirmation of so much that was real.

Excellent work, Maura! What is the topic of your next book?

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book so much, Duchess! It's always good when you're sad that it's finished. :) I do think it's especially fun for TRF members and other royal fans, because we all already feel like we know these people. And thanks for reviewing on Goodreads!

I am a long way from writing my next book, partly because I can't imagine starting over again (this one took me 3 years to write), and partly because I'm so busy marketing this one (I've got book signings scheduled for 6 of the next 8 weekends, which is awesome but overwhelming!). But I'm sure I'll write another one at some point. There are lots of things floating vaguely in my mind at the moment, but I think the story that most catches my eye right now is Philip and Elizabeth's love story.

Enjoyed the book, very much. Wish there was more.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book so much, Duchess! It's always good when you're sad that it's finished. :) I do think it's especially fun for TRF members and other royal fans, because we all already feel like we know these people. And thanks for reviewing on Goodreads!

I am a long way from writing my next book, partly because I can't imagine starting over again (this one took me 3 years to write), and partly because I'm so busy marketing this one (I've got book signings scheduled for 6 of the next 8 weekends, which is awesome but overwhelming!). But I'm sure I'll write another one at some point. There are lots of things floating vaguely in my mind at the moment, but I think the story that most catches my eye right now is Philip and Elizabeth's love story.

Oh, a book about Philip and Elizabeth is a fantastic idea!!

Best of luck with your book signings.

Thanks, Countess! And thanks for the good wishes, Duchess! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom