80th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V and Queen Sonja

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The second article I've translated already this morning - TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland talks about her - really worth a read:
Dronning Sonja fyller 80 år
Queen Sonja turns 80

Her Majesty The Queen will be celebrated with a picnic in the park and summer festival at Bygdøy.

Happy birthday, Queen Sonja!

Tuesday 4th of July, Queen Sonja is turning 80.

The big day is marked by the royal family with several events in Oslo.

It all starts with the opening of "Queen Sonja art stable" in the old stable buildings in the palace park.

Then there is a picnic in Dronningparken, which is part of the palace Park, for invited guests.

The celebration ends with a summer party in large tents in the garden at Bygdøy Kongsgård for the royal couple's family and friends.

"I would like to congratulate our Queen most warmly on the day. It's hardly possible to believe that this vigorous and youthful lady actually turns 80'', says TV 2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland.

"I really think it's impressive to see how well she stays and how she follows the new times. The last time I saw her, I noticed that she had received a new digital wristwatch, which she even used to respond to mail and text'', he says.

Joint 80th celebrations

In May, the royal couple had a joint 80th celebration, since King Harald turned 80 years in February.

Then everyone was invited to the celebrations at the palace park, where among other things, free ice cream was given to all the visitors. Later that day there was a gala dinner at the Royal Palace.

The government also invited to a dinner in the Opera in honor of the royal couple with 300 invited guests from home and abroad.

During the dinner, King Harald and Queen Sonja held a common speech, and then the King praised the Queen.

"I had not managed to do this this without her" said King Harald in the speech.

She has brought the royal house into a new era

Totland believes that Sonja shall have a lot of credit for that Norway have a well-functioning and popular monarchy.

"Together with King Harald, she has managed to bring the monarchy into a new era and make it relevant to new generations. But first and foremost, in fact, it's her profit that we have the happy and popular king that we have in this country. King Harald herself says she meant everything to him - and that he would never have handled the role of monarch without her'', Totland says.

TV 2's royal expert has followed Sonja closely since she became Norway's Queen in 1991.

"My admiration and respect for her has always been great - and it has actually only increased over the years. She impresses greatly with her perfectionism and enthusiasm for what she's interested in'', Totland says.

Queen Sonja was born Sonja Haraldsen in Oslo on July 4, 1937. She met (then) Crown Prince Harald in 1959. She became Crown Princess when they married in 1968, and later Queen when King Olav died in January 1991.

Last edited:
I'm so moved and happy now - why? Because the Queen is praised like never before, and the tributes are pouring in right now, and she really deserves it.

From the Prime Minister:
"On her birthday, I wish Queen Sonja everything good. The Queen meets us all with warmth, humor and closeness - especially those of us who are having trouble. I'm also impressed by Queen Sonja and her tours, it's probably not a mountain or mountain farm in the country where the Queen has not put her legs. The Queen's pictures and histories of Norwegian nature are brilliant Norway advertisements. And on the day I would like to thank Queen Sonja for going ahead for other women. The Queen has been tough and paved the way. With her position, she has helped make it easier to be a woman in Norway. Happy Birthday!".
Edit: NRK has talked to people in the streets - they are not as enthusiastic as they were when the King turned 80 in february, but they think she does a good job.

Edit: NRK has talked to celebrities and sports people and they talks about what she means to them.

Edit: She is now being called the People's Queen by Dagbladet. I have never heard that this term has been used about her before.

Last edited:
Kjell Arne Totland has written a long blog post, but he writes in a very old fashioned way, so it's very difficult for a dyslexic like me to translate it. But I hope it's readable - because it's very interesting and really worth a read:

Dronning Sonja 80 år – et lite portrett | Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland
Queen Sonja 80 years - a little portrait

A perfectionist in style!

Sonja is very skilled. She is almost perfectionist in everything she's doing - both in daily and in public life, King Harald has said about his wife. ''She is very skilled, I think most people have agree with that. Occasionally, however, it may be a bit to much. I'm afraid that she's doing too much and is getting tired. Everything shall be perfect - and preferably done by herself!''

King Harald knows his Sonja well - both on good and bad. And he is far from alone to be impressed by her skills. That has been fully proven by Sonja in the nearly 49 years she has been our royal first lady!

Sonja has never even concealed that she is an incurable perfectionist. Everything she does is thoughtful - in the smallest detail.
And she makes great demands both for herself and for others.

"I tried to make everyone happy for a few years, but it did not work", she once said.
''Some selfishness must we all have, it is a good protection mechanism. One must only be aware of its negative sides. The most important thing is to come to an understanding with oneself. It is yourself you have to live with.''

And our Queen is surrounded by loyal helpers who support and defend her. Close staffers think it's both fun and interesting to work for her - because she's so professional in everything she's doing.She is also generous with praise and small gifts - also to her employees!

"Sonja is just amazingly organized", said her good friend, the late fashion designer Erik Mortensen: "She gets more things done on a day than others does for a a whole week!
She can spend more on one day than others for a whole week!''

As a queen, Sonja has no real state-law function. But she is married to a head of state - and thus has many important representation engagements. Sonja is very conscious of the role and tasks she has been given - and she has always worked hard to meet her own and others expectations.

Most of the Queen's working hours have during all these years gone to planning/reading.Our queen leaves nothing to chance. For example, she's reading everything she's coming across about places she's going to visit and people she's going to meet.

And although she now has many years of routine, she admits that she may still be nervous when she is going to talk - as an actor before a performance.

''The Queen is my very best supporter in my work, King Harald has said repeatedly - and during the joint birthday celebration in May, he said he would never have been able to master the mission as a monarch without his Sonja by his side. That's why he has emphasized that the two are a team - and he's always including the Queen in his speeches.

In the early years, there were probably many who experienced the official Sonja as both controlled and formal. But over the years, I think that the vast majority of Norwegians have accepted that she is both spontaneous and warm.

Behind the efficient and polished facade, it's hidden a warm-hearted and friendly person - with great care for her surroundings. And that's when this warmth and spontaneity also shine through in her official work that she's at her very best.

Our Queen has always been a sensitive and vulnerable person. She becomes genuinely sad when she becomes misunderstood - or when she doesn't win through with her plans and ideas.

Unrighteous criticism also hurts her - and she admits it can be difficult not to be able to respond. Over the years, however, she has been used to "live with" the special findings of Janteloven (Law of Jante), which sometimes goes against on her. We saw it most recently in connection with her exhibition in Bergen in May.

Sonja can suddenly take to her tears when something touches/hurts her - and she doesn't hide it. But understandably, she don't like to be photographed in such situations.

The Queen also admits that she has temperament. So she can get really angry if she gets disappointed with a person or feel that someone interferes with privacy.

Sonja has also admitted that she and Harald are very different. "We are two independent individuals, and then one must of course pay attention to each other'', she has stated - and added: "For example, the king is much more patient than I am.

Sonja does not hesitate to call Harald her great love, but she gladly admits that it has not always been easy. Many believed in 1968 that Sonja's civil background was going to hurt the monarchy as an institution.

However, she herself believes that her background has proven to be an advantage both for the royal family and for the monarchy - as a useful and necessary corrective. And I think she's right. Because there is no doubt that Sonja has a lot to do with the modern monarchy we have in Norway today.

Sonja sets her family life high - and both her and Harald prioritize the relationship with children and grandchildren to the extent that it is possible in their particular role and position.

Sonja loves to be with her grandshildren - and is happy to lie on the floor in the private apartment at the palace and draw with them. And she has wax tablecloths in all the family's different homes to protect the antique tables, when the shildren wants to play or draw.

Queen Sonja undoubtedly has a particularly close relationship with Ingrid Alexandra - and is naturally keen to prepare the young princess for her future role as crown princess - and reigning Queen.

"We want the children to get an almost normal upbringing", Sonja once said. "But it can be quite difficult when they at the same time are going to be trained for their future functions.

Sonja is even more than her royal husband dependent on "charging the batteries" on a regular basis - beyond the public's spotlight. "It's important to take care of herself'', she has said. "I live an intense life and must have my breathing holes. Going hiking in the mountains is one of the best things I can do. Then I lett go of all the problems down in the valley. It's really a lise for the mind!

In recent years, art has become an important "breathing hole" in the everyday life of our Queen.

Sonja has been very interested in art during all her adult life and had art history as one of her three university subjects. In addition to collecting contemporary art, she currently has the great pleasure of working on various graphic techniques - besides designing and decorating major ceramics-works.

Her Majesty is undoubtedly unusually very healthy- and it's almost amazing that she now reaches 80. But Sonja also observes that the age requires more of her. She has had some problems with her muscles and joints - and have had treatments.

As most people know, our Queen has sometimes suffered from a chronic rheumatoid arthritis - a so-called disk dislocation. At uneven intervals, the discolouration slipped into very painful sciatica attacks.

It is a known matter that stress can be a contributing factor to the painful outbreaks. And of course, the Queen know this - and she therefore tries to "stress down" and "keep her back in check", with special exercises and regular training.

And it seems that she now succeeds much more than before to "keep her back in check". Maybe also because she is currently stressing less than before.

Queen Sonja is well known for her always equally stylish appearances and her exquisite attire. She has a never failing sense of style and effect - and is still called "one of the evenings most beautiful", despite that her gala dresses may be 25 years old!

Many people may think that clothing and jewelry are among our Queen's great interests.

However, she sees these things more as "a necessary and important part of the job" - and not at all as an all-encompassing interest.

But nothing is obviously when Sonja is dressed. Because her perfectionism lies in the blood!

I hope people here enjoyed the enormous and interesting blog post from Kjell Arne Totland above.

Yet another article - much of this is mentioned in other articles, so I will only translated the important stuff:
https://www.nrk.no/kultur/slik-feirer-dronningen-bursdagen-1.13587299
We cover the celebration throughout the day. On NRK1 you can see these broadcasts:

12.00: Unveiling of statue in the palace park

12.30: Opening of the art stable

19.00: Dagsrevyen (Norway's largest TV-News) Live from the party at Bygdøy kongsgård

20.00: Gift from the King - a documentary about the art stable - Queen Sonja shows us arounf

Have been herself all the time

Wibecke Lie is a retired royal journalist in NTB. She tells us that Queen Sonja is popular.

''Nobody has done more for the people's perception of the monarchy than her. There are no foreign monarchs who have met ordinary people in the same way as her''

Lie believes that the Queen has been herself, while following the community around and modernizing the royal house.

"She has always been herself, she has not changed. It is very important, you can not pretend to be someone else.''

Lie also emphasizes Queen Sonja's artistic interest.

"The art has meant an incredible amount for both herself and the art in general. She has been allowed to do her thing with the support of the King.
I am really happy and surprised by the praise she now resives.

Live video link from NRK - hope it works outside Norway - starts in 5 min:
https://www.nrk.no/kultur/folg-dronningens-bursdagsfeiring-1.13587903

Picture of the Prime Minister signing the protocol at the palace some min ago:
https://ap.mnocdn.no/images/24087f6b-fb62-494c-80af-bd0c8361fe46?fit=crop&h=1152&q=80&w=2048

Edit: Starting now.

Edit: Now I hear the cannons right outside here.

Edit: The Prime Minister is present.

Edit: And there she is in yellow - looking great.

Edit: The gift from DNT (Den Norske Turistforening/Norwegian Trekking Association) is a statue of the Queen. Unveiled by the grandchildren.

Edit: Haakon is speaking.

Edit: The Queen and the royal family to walk to the art stable now.

Edit: Mette Marit's mother is also presen, she turns 80 this year too.

Edit: The Queen is now inside the gift from the King (the art stable).

Edit: They are inside greeting people.

Last edited:
Their Majesties are still greeting people - watch live above:

Edit: They are running late - still greeting people.

Edit: There is criticism of the court - because it will cost 100 kroner to get in to the art stable.

Edit: The opening/entertainment is starting now - many min late.

Edit: They are finally sitting down.

Edit: It's finally starting 30 min late.

Edit: A truly artistic entertainment - I like it.

Edit: It's really funny to think about - here we are again with yet another celebration broadcasted on both NRK1 and TV2 News Channel. And we will have the wedding anniversary next year.

Edit: The entertainment continuous for our 80 year old Queen Consort.

Edit: The Prime Minister to speak.

Edit: The PM unveils the government's gift.

Last edited:
Thanks for your huge work, Royal Norway, :flowers:

Even though I prefer to read in Norwegian myself, your translations are great. :notworthy: Keep them coming.

Thanks for your huge work, Royal Norway, :flowers:

Even though I prefer to read in Norwegian myself, your translations are great. :notworthy: Keep them coming.
Thanks Mulher! :flowers: I think it's an exaggeration to call my translations great, but kind of you to wrote.

The Queen is speaking now.

Edit: She thanks everyone and praises Queen Maud.

Edit: She talks about how much art means to her.

Edit: Her Majesty declares the art stable opened.

Edit: The private picnic in the palace park should have started 14:00, that is not going to happen because we are very late.

Edit: Still speeches going on.

Edit: Live video link from NRK in post 556.

Edit: Now we are going to have the last part of the entertainment.

Edit: The official part of the program is now over.

Edit: Picture of the family:
https://gfx.nrk.no/wuR_UU8Ffn_QblxlktUNwAEQxcq6Y_iZBg3-MTcSipkw

Picture of HM, the King in the art stable:
https://gfx.nrk.no/U2o1eDE7dQDNPJxJ7HQxaAh1ZMc_Y2a92ggiw2ivVkGQ

Last edited:
Kjell Arne Totland has written a long blog post, but he writes in a very old fashioned way, so it's very difficult for a dyslexic like me to translate it. But I hope it's readable - because it's very interesting and really worth a read:

Dronning Sonja 80 år – et lite portrett | Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland

Queen Sonja turns 80

Her Majesty The Queen will be celebrated with a picnic in the park and summer festival at Bygdøy.

Happy birthday, Queen Sonja!

Tuesday 4th of July, Queen Sonja is turning 80.

The big day is marked by the royal family with several events in Oslo.

It all starts with the opening of "Queen Sonja art stable" in the old stable buildings in the palace park.

Then there is a picnic in Dronningparken, which is part of the palace Park, for invited guests.

The celebration ends with a summer party in large tents in the garden at Bygdøy Kongsgård for the royal couple's family and friends.

"I would like to congratulate our Queen most warmly on the day. It's hardly possible to believe that this vigorous and youthful lady actually turns 80'', says TV 2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland.

"I really think it's impressive to see how well she stays and how she follows the new times. The last time I saw her, I noticed that she had received a new digital wristwatch, which she even used to respond to mail and text'', he says.

Joint 80th celebrations

In May, the royal couple had a joint 80th celebration, since King Harald turned 80 years in February.

Then everyone was invited to the celebrations at the palace park, where among other things, free ice cream was given to all the visitors. Later that day there was a gala dinner at the Royal Palace.

The government also invited to a dinner in the Opera in honor of the royal couple with 300 invited guests from home and abroad.

During the dinner, King Harald and Queen Sonja held a common speech, and then the King praised the Queen.

"I had not managed to do this this without her" said King Harald in the speech.

She has brought the royal house into a new era

Totland believes that Sonja shall have a lot of credit for that Norway have a well-functioning and popular monarchy.

"Together with King Harald, she has managed to bring the monarchy into a new era and make it relevant to new generations. But first and foremost, in fact, it's her profit that we have the happy and popular king that we have in this country. King Harald herself says she meant everything to him - and that he would never have handled the role of monarch without her'', Totland says.

TV 2's royal expert has followed Sonja closely since she became Norway's Queen in 1991.

"My admiration and respect for her has always been great - and it has actually only increased over the years. She impresses greatly with her perfectionism and enthusiasm for what she's interested in'', Totland says.

Queen Sonja was born Sonja Haraldsen in Oslo on July 4, 1937. She met (then) Crown Prince Harald in 1959. She became Crown Princess when they married in 1968, and later Queen when King Olav died in January 1991.

A descriptive profile of Queen Sonja; I think both of her children have derived some attributes from her. Thank you for translating it.

Isaksen points out that it's Sonja's merit that culture has become one of the supporting elements of the monarchy today. Sonja has been good at using art to promote Norway abroad. Among other things, she participated in the opening of "Munch vs. Warhol »in New York in April 2013, and in 2016 she opened the exhibition« Painting Norway: Nikolai Astrup (1880-1928) »in London.

[...]

''It has annoyed me. For example, when you're on an official engagement, the press does not write about what's going on, but just about clothes you wear. It is very disappointing'', the Queen said in an interview with NTB in February.

I would have to agree.

Royal Norway,
This is such an *outstanding brilliant* piece of work that you have done here. I am so amazed by it, reading about this wonderful lady and all that she has had to go through to get where she is today, shows that Queen Sonja is one very strong intelligent lady who never gives up. She is such a great role model for the young women of Norway. :)

Still lots more to read yet wanted to impart that to you.

I think the statue is lovely! It reflects HMs personality perfectly!
Agree! And the so-called experts seems to like it to. There are many articles about it, and I will trancelate some of them later.

A descriptive profile of Queen Sonja; I think both of her children have derived some attributes from her. Thank you for translating it.
I agree! And you're very welcome.

Royal Norway,
This is such an *outstanding brilliant* piece of work that you have done here. I am so amazed by it, reading about this wonderful lady and all that she has had to go through to get where she is today, shows that Queen Sonja is one very strong intelligent lady who never gives up. She is such a great role model for the young women of Norway. :)

Still lots more to read yet wanted to impart that to you.
Thank you very much! And nice of you to say.

And yes, Queen Sonja is a wonderful lady who has done so much for this country - despite criticism and personal problems.

More about today:

After all the criticism of the CP couple during the past 4 years, the King has decided to open up the monarchy even more, and cameras are being let in to the private party at Bygdøy this evening. And thats the rigth vay to go when it comes to the monarchy in Norway - because then the ordinary people feel that they are participating.

The NRK1 broadcast from the palace park and the art stable:
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/nyheter/NNFA41008917/04-07-2017

The VG broadcast:
VGTV

The TV2 broadcast - not available, but here's a video of some of it:
Turdronning Sonja fikk seg selv i gave

Edit: Forgot to mention that Marius Borg Høiby were present along with his girlfriend.

Edit: A video from Royal Central's Oskar Aanmoen - very poor quality, so se the broadcast/video above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8OgmQ7oCY

Last edited:
NRK live video link from the arrivals at Bygdøy Kongsgår - hope it works outside Norway - starts in 5 min: http://www.nrk.no/kultur/festaften-pa-bygoy-kongsgard-1.13588495

Edit: NRK calls her popular in yet another article, while one of the newspapers goes so far and calls her beloved - something she has never been called before.

Edit: The live video starts now.

Edit: It's black tie.

Edit: The King and Queen is greeting the guests.

Edit: Still greeting guests.

Edit: This is a private celebration, but there are some official guests - including the Prime Minister.

Edit: Marius Borg Høiby and his girlfriend will be be present, but not in front of the cameras.

Edit: Not more guests to greet - the private party starts now.

Edit: The Queen is criticized by art-historians for what she exhibits in the art stable and the fact that it will cost 100 kroner to get in.

Edit: And again, the experts are very mean to her - accusing her of taking money from ''poor artists'' because she has received art-gifts for the stable.

Edit: And as one of the royal experts has said, no one has had to stand up to the Law of Jante more than Queen Sonja.

Last edited:
When it was in 1999 , for Prince Philippe 's Wedding , we had an important Exibition at our Fine Arts Museum about our painter James Ensor.
The Royal Family of Norway wanted to visit the Exhibition , a Visit was organised on a Monday when the Museum was closed.
Queen Sonja wanted to be guided by the Curator and a Friend of mine the King ans his daughter.
She noticed directly that Paintings was not King Harald's cup of tea. So after a while she started with a Joke and ho what happen , such a heavy Laugh from the King that the Queen and our Curator were shocked . At the end, the King's Bodyguard said that she was an excellent Guide.

Last edited:
:previous: Very interesting! And no, paintings/art is certainly not King Harald's cup of tea - he has said so him self.

Article with pictures and a 8 min video from the party tonight - trancelated by me:
https://www.nrk.no/kultur/disse-deltar-pa-festmiddagen-pa-kongsgarden-1.13588495
These will attend the dinner at Bygdøy

Tonight the Queen's birthday celebration ends with a party night at Bygdø Kongsgård. The party is the royal couple's joint 80th birthday.

The guests arrived at bygdøy around 19:15. Queen Sonja is wearing a purple dress, and the royal couple greeted the guests who arrived. Among the guests is the mayor of Oslo, Marianne Borgen.

Princess Astrid was welcomened by the royal couple. Lis Haraldsen, widow of Queen Sonja's brother, has also arrived at the party.

Artist Magne Furuholmen and his wife are also among the guests tonight. Magne Furuholmen has become close friend with the Queen in recent years.

Prime Minister Erna Solberg and her husband Sindre Finnes arrived together at at bygdøy - the prime minister dressed a long green dress.

Sources has confirmed to NRK that Marius Borg Høiby and his girlfriend Linn Helena Nilsen will be present tonight.

Politicians such Fabian Stang (former major of Oslo) and Catharina Munthe (his wife) are regular guests at royal parties and were also present tonight.

The Crown Prince couple arrived at the party with Crown Princess Mette-Marit's mother, Marit Tjessem and Princess Märtha Louise.

Dance, food and drinks

Present at the party tonight are close friends and family. According to what the NRK experiences, there are around 100 people invited to the party. There will be good food, good drink and dance. It is known that the Queen is very fond of dancing and jazz music.

Earlier today, the Queen celebrated the birthday with the unveiling of the statue in the palace park, and the opening of the art stable. When the stable was opened, the Queen held a speech for the guests. She said it was a dream come true.

"As you know, in recent years I have had an extra commitment to promote graphic arts. Opening the art stable with an exhibition of graphics is a dream for me''.

She thanked at the same time for all the presents, and said that she is looking forward to welcoming new artists and art forms to the art stable in the future.
There are written very many article about the celebrations today - I will translate some of them tomorrow, and maybe an article about the statue tonight.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks so much Royal Norway! :D
Lovely statue of Queen Sonja and wonderful art stable.
Good know Marius Borg Høiby was there.

:previous: You're very welcome!

I urge everyone from Scandinavia to see this wonderful 30 min documentary where this warm and caring person (Queen Sonja) shows NRK around in the art stable. It was broadcast on NRK1 tonight:
https://tv.nrk.no/program/NNFA30000017/gaava-fraa-kongen-dronning-sonja-fyller-80-aar

This has been a wonderful day with much praise for Norway's 80-year-old Queen consort - something she deserves.

I'm going to translate 2 or 3 articles tomorrow. I'm also going to write a bit about the golden wedding anniversary next year - we've got some interesting information about it.

Last edited:
Märtha posted this heartwarming Instagram message to her mother, Queen Sonja, on her 80th birthday - writing: ''Happy 80th Birthday to one of my greatest inspirations in life: My Mom. Thank you for being stubborn enough to change what needed changing, loving enough to let everyone around you blossom and intuitive enough to let everyone be appreciated for who they are.'' She also posted this picture:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD50GL7XYAEFx_D.jpg

And here you can read a bit about the silly criticism she received by some art-experts yesterday:
Queen Sonja is delighted with the art gallery - Norway Today

I haven't had the time to post more articles or go through the news that came out about the golden wedding anniversary, but I will do it (maybe tomorrow).

Thanks for the video An Ard Ri! I've posted all the broadcasts in post 566 and a 8 min video from the party at Bygdøy in post 569, but for those who likes to watch YouTube videos - see them here:

Last edited:
BB's Anna Johannesen reports that the reason for Haakon shaving off his beard during the dinner was that he and his sister, Märtha Louise, performed a sketch depicting their parents and in order to do that, Haakon had to remove his beard and put on a "bald-cap". - The sketch was a big success.

A bit to late but here it is: (I wrote this on july 6th)

Golden Wedding Anniversary 2018:

According to NRK's royal correspondent/reporter Kristi Marie Skrede (she said it live on television on July 4th) and people I've talked to who works in the media, the King has decided to downplay the celebrations next year - why? This:

Silver Jubilee 2016:

January 16th: The CP Couple hosted a private black tie dinner at Skaugum. Only for close family with exception of QMII/Swedish King/Queen. Pictures released.

January 17th: Accession Day. Large scale celebrations with a service in the Palace Chapel, winter festival in the palace square, appearance on the balcony, walking procession from the palace to the University Aula for a matiné (afternoon performance).

NRK1 broadcasted the service in the Palace Chapel from 10:55 to 11:55 and the Winter activities in the Palace Square from 12:35 to 14:00.

NRK2 sent live from the Winter activities in the Palace Square and the walking procession from 14:20 to 16:00.

NRK1 sent highlights from the day's celebrations from 18:00 to 19:00 and broadcasted the matiné from earlier in the day from 20:15 to 22:00. TV2 News Channel also broadcasted all the events with the exception of the matiné.

Private black tie dinner at the palace. Only for close family with exception of QMII/Swedish King/Queen. Pictures released.

June 18-29: Silver jubilee tour along the coast with the Royal Yacht Norge. During the course of their trip, the King and Queen visited six cities (Tromsø, Bodø, Trondheim, Bergen, Stavanger and Kristiansand), and public festivities were held each place in their honour. Their Majesties hosted a garden party in each city.

The start of the trip was broadcasted by NRK1, they also had live reports in their regular news broadcasts through the trip. TV2 News Channel also sent live from all the events.

June 23th: Consecration Jubilee. The King and Queen celebrated in Trondheim with “breakfast with the people” at the Ravnkloa fish market (the event featured music, children’s art and breakfast delicacies), a service at Nidaros Cathedral, appearense on the balcony at Stiftsgården and a garden party for 600 guests. NRK1 (Norway's largest TV channel) sent live from 09:00 to 17:20 and broadcasted a summary of the events from 19:30 to 20:55. (It must be one of the longest television broadcasts in Norway's history)

September 1th: The King and Queen hosted a garden party in the Palace Park for 1500 guests from throughout Norway. It was here that the King held his amazing speech.

NRK1 broadcasted the garden party from 13:10 to 16:20 - also broadcasted by TV2 News Channel.

The 80th Birthday Celebrations 2017:

February 21th: The King's 80th birthday. Congratulation Protocol at the palace with a long queue of well-wishers - read about it here:
A long queue of well-wishers - The Royal House of Norway

And although His Majesty was abroad with his family in South Africa, NRK1 sent live from the palace in their regular news broadcasts and broadcasted a special program with guests in the studio from 19:45 to 20:55.

TV2 news channel sent live from the palace, had experts in the studio, spoke with the Prime Minister, was in a kindergarten where the children sang to the King, spoke to young people (who just love him) and calls him the best king in the world. People was interviewed in the streets and talked about how inclusive, warm and modern he is. Many said his speeches had changed their lives.

May 9th: Joint official birthday celebrations. Deputations at the palace, entertainments in the palace square (from the King’s Guard, the choral group Oslo Soul Children and acrobats from Nysirkus Bjerke), balcony appearance and a white tie gala dinner with entertainments at the palace.

Broadcasted by NRK1 from 17:20 to 18:55 and from 19:35 to 21:00 and live on TV2 News Channel. (Live feed on the net for the deputations from 11:00 to 13:00)

May 10th: Joint official birthday celebrations. Luncheon on board the Royal Yacht Norge, cortège in cars from the palace to the opera building (with entertainments from the King’s Guard and marching bands along the way) for an official black tie Gala banquet with entertainments given by the government followed by a fireworks display.

Broadcasted by NRK1 from 17:30 to 19:05 and from 21:15 to 23:00 and live on TV2 News Channel.

Both days was attended by several foreign royal guests and the presidents from Finland and Iceland with spouses - the guestlist:
Kongeparets 80-årsdager: Gjesteliste - kongehuset.no

Read about the celebrations here:
Celebration at the Royal Palace - The Royal House of Norway

Gala banquet at the Oslo Opera House - The Royal House of Norway

June 11–14: 80th Birthday tour in the inland. The King and Queen visited the counties of Hedmark and Oppland where they among other things hosted a garden party at Maihaugen.

NRK1 showed clips of the events in their regular news broadcasts and TV2 News Channel sent live reports from the events.

July 4th: The Queen's 80th birthday. Congratulation Protocol at the palace. The royal family attended the unveiling of a statue of Queen Sonja in the Queen’s Park. The statue was a gift from the Norwegian Trekking Association (DNT). The royal family then attended the opening of Queen Sonja Art Stable followed by a picnic in the Queen's Park and a black tie dinner for both the King and Queen hosted by the royal couple themselves at Bygdø Kongsgård in the evening.

NRK1 broadcasted the unveiling of the statue and the opening of the art stable from 12:00 to 14:00 and had a live feed on the net from the arrivals at Bygdøy in the evening. They also sent a documentary where the Queen gave NRK's royal correspondent/reporter Kristi Marie Skrede an exclusive tour through the art stable from 20:00 to 20:30. Live coverage on TV2 News Channel through the day.

Read about the celebrations here:
Statue of the nature-loving Queen - The Royal House of Norway

The Art Stable is open - The Royal House of Norway

Back to the Wedding anniversary: So after this two years with large scale celebrations, then I can understand the King's decision to downplay the celebrations next year. But it will according to NRK's royal correspondent/reporter Kristi Marie Skrede and other experts be marked - how? We don't know yet, but I'm guessing on a service in Oslo Cathedral where they were married in 1968.

There has been some criticism of the decision, as it also was when he chose to celebrate his actual birthday on February 21th privately in South Africa.

Future celebrations in Norway:

King Olav V celebrated his 60th, 70th, 75th, 80th, and 85th birthdays with driving to and from the Storting (the parliament) in a open car, a balcony appearance and a white tie gala dinner at Akershus Castle on July 4th (his actual birthday).

He was also celebrated the day before his milestone birthday with a black tie gala performance at Colosseum for his 70th birthday in 1973, a white tie gala performance at the National Theatre for his 75th birthday in 1978 and a white tie gala performance at the ugly Oslo Konserthus (a very ugly Concert Hall from 1977) for his 80th birthday in 1983.

He was also sometimes celebrated with a service in Oslo Cathedral some days before his birthday.

He celebrated his Silver Jubilee in 1982 with a Jubilee Tour, a service in Oslo Cathedral and a white tie gala performance in the ugly Oslo Konserthus.

He celebrated his 30th anniversary as monarch in 1987 (the same year as the large 50th birthday celebrations for the then CP couple Harald and Sonja) with a black tie dinner at Akershus Castle and a joint matiné (afternoon performance) at the ugly Oslo Konserthus to mark the anniversary and the CP couple's 50th birthdays.

I really wonder why the governments under Olav had so much love for the ugly Oslo Concert Hall. Why couldn't he have been celebrated in the impressive Oslo City Hall (used for King Harald's 70th) or the beautiful University Aula (used for King Harald's silver jubilee).

Since the King and Queen have followed the pattern of King Olav for when they celebrate (although they have celebrated with more events and more foreign guest than King Olav), then I think we will se somthing like this:

The King's 30th anniversary as monarch in 2021 is likely to be marked with several events, but not on the same scale as we saw for the Silver Jubilee. Politicans are already starting to make plans about a statue of the King/Queen and wants it to be unveiled by the royal couple themselves for the anniversary.

The King and Queen's 85th birthdays in 2022 is also likly to be celebrated, but not on the same scale as the 60th, 70th and 80th birthdays. Perhaps a bit more like the 75th birthdays in 2012.

The King and Queen's 90th birthdays is likely to be celebrated with large scale celebrations,
but (unfortunately) I doubt whether the king is still alive in 2027.

The confirmation of Ingrid Alexandra will happen in 2019 and her 18th birthday is in 2022 (the same year as the 85th birthdays of the King and Queen). We don't know if it will be celebrated publicly, but the confirmations and 18th birthdays of Haakon and Märtha was celebrated with white tie gala dinners at the palace.

Read about the Silver Wedding Anniversary, the 60th Birthdays, the 70th Birthdays and the 75th Birthdays of the King/Queen in posts 34/35.

Last edited:
Back to the Wedding anniversary: So after this two years with large scale celebrations, then I can understand the King's decision to downplay the celebrations next year. But it will according to NRK's royal correspondent/reporter Kristi Marie Skrede and other experts be marked - how? We don't know yet, but I'm guessing on a service in Oslo Cathedral where they were married in 1968.

There has been some criticism of the decision, as it also was when he chose to celebrate his actual birthday on February 21th privately in South Africa.

Future celebrations in Norway:

King Olav V celebrated his 60th, 70th, 75th, 80th, and 85th birthdays with driving to and from the Storting (the parliament) in a open car, a balcony appearance and a white tie gala dinner at Akershus Castle on July 4th (his actual birthday).

He was also celebrated the day befor his milestone birthday with a black tie gala performance at Colosseum for his 70th birthday in 1973, a white tie gala performance at the National Theatre for his 75th birthday in 1978 and a white tie gala performance at the ugly Oslo Konserthus (a very ugly Concert Hall from 1977) for his 80th birthday in 1983.

He was also sometimes celebrated with a service in Oslo Cathedral some days before his birthday.

He celebrated his Silver Jubilee in 1982 with a Jubilee Tour, a service in Oslo Cathedral and a white tie gala performance in the ugly Oslo Konserthus.

He celebrated his 30th anniversary as monarch in 1987 (the same year as the large 50th birthday celebrations for the then CP couple Harald and Sonja) with a black tie dinner at Akershus Castle and a joint matiné (afternoon performance) at the ugly Oslo Konserthus to mark the anniversary and the CP couple's 50th birthdays.

I really wonder why the governments under Olav had so much love for the ugly Oslo Concert Hall. Why couldn't he have been celebrated in the impressive Oslo City Hall (used for King Harald's 70th) or the beautiful University Aula (used for King Harald's silver jubilee).

Since the King and Queen have followed the pattern of King Olav for when they celebrate (although they have celebrated with more events and more foreign guest than King Olav), then I think we will se somthing like this:

The King's 30th anniversary as monarch in 2021 is likely to be marked with several events, but not on the same scale as we so for the Silver Jubilee. Politicans are already starting to make plans about a statue of the King/Queen and wants it to be unveiled by the royal couple themselves for the anniversary.

The King and Queen's 85th birthdays in 2022 is also likly to be celebrated, but not on the same scale as the 60th, 70th and 80th birthdays. Perhaps a bit more like the 75th birthdays in 2012.

The King and Queen's 90th birthdays is likely to be celebrated with large scale celebrations,
but (unfortunately) I doubt whether the king is still alive in 2027.

The confirmation of Ingrid Alexandra will happen in 2019 and her 18th birthday is in 2022 (the same year as the 85th birthdays of the King and Queen). We don't know if it will be celebrated publicly, but the confirmations and 18th birthdays of Haakon and Märtha was celebrated with white tie gala dinners at the palace.

Read about the Silver Wedding Anniversary, the 60th Birthdays, the 70th Birthdays and the 75th Birthdays of the King/Queen in posts 35/35.

I can't enough thank you for the contribution to this (and other threads), your knowledge is truly amazing!

For one, who can't get enough of these milestone celebrations, both the forward-looking and the historical perspective is invaluable. I also understand the King's decision to downplay next year's celebrations. I'm afraid it's not possible to do the extravagance each year. I hope we' see plenty more milestone celebrations, but I guess the health of the King will decide how many.

I can't enough thank you for the contribution to this (and other threads), your knowledge is truly amazing!

For one, who can't get enough of these milestone celebrations, both the forward-looking and the historical perspective is invaluable. I also understand the King's decision to downplay next year's celebrations. I'm afraid it's not possible to do the extravagance each year. I hope we' see plenty more milestone celebrations, but I guess the health of the King will decide how many.
Thanks! And kind of you to write. I think I'm what you can call a royal nerd.

More about the celebrations:

As I wrote in post 566, the so-called experts seems to like the statue of the Queen. There are many articles about it, and I promised to trancelate some of them later, and here are two:
https://www.nrk.no/kultur/dronning-sonja-heidra-som-turdronning-1.13588312
Sculptor Kirsten Kokkin has also made the statue of Crown Princess Märtha, which was unveiled during the 70th birthday of King Harald in 2007. The statue of the Queen weighs five tons, and the stone is taken from Vassfaret.

Art historian and writer Tommy Sørbø think she has succeeded in showing Queen Sonja as the tour-Queen.

"She has managed to catch Queen Sonja in a moment of wonder, where she takes the nature in to her. She looks beyond the nature without staring. And the fine thing is that the sculpture stands at a bench so people can sit with the Queen and get the same experience.
Aftenposten's art expert on the new statue:
https://www.aftenposten.no/kultur/i...d-dronning-mine-a-se_-og-det-gjor-verket-godt
Most artistic representations of royals are, well, far too worthy and rojale. The person easily disappears behind the facade. Kirsten Kokkin has chosen a different angle in her sculpture of Queen Sonja.

With a dreamy expression she sits in mountain clothe on a rock from Vassfaret.

It's almost so I'd like to sit beside her and offer Kvikk Lunsj (A Norwegian tour chocolate) and a cup of cocoa.

As I wrote in the general news thread, I can't translate entire articles anymore due to copyright rules.

Last edited:
Yes, I'd also like to thank ROYAL NORWAY for their excellent contributions to the Norwegian threads ? Whilst I may not reply to all of them I do read them and appreciate all the articles and photos they post here - and hopefully for many more years!

Queen Sonja statue unveiled by her grandchildren.

I keep on being upset with the behaviour of the Behn girls! They use to act like no one taught them anything of "etiquette" or politeness. Yes, I know, kids are kids bla bla bla, but these girls are not that small anymore. The youngest is worst: Looking straight into TV cameras, making mocking faces (she did so now, she did so at the 25th jubilee church service at the Nidaros Cathedral). When the royal family entered the Palace garden they immediately sat down on the bench before the King and Queen did! And Märtha Louise never talks them off... She always just looks on and smiles...!:bang::whistling: I´m sure, many on this board will not agree with me. But I find this embarresing to look at. I know it´s not the children´s fault, but the parents have failed here massively! Could you imagine when it comes to the danish, spanish or belgian royal kids? All right, they´re royal which the Behn children are not. But still, their grandparents are a King and a Queen and I think they should have been better taught.
Don´t get me wrong! I LOVE the norwegian royal family. It´s one of my favourites. But these Behn girls (perhaps with the exception of the middle one - Emma ?) I always found quite odd.

Ingrid Alexandras manners seem to be quite perfect in public; but why could NOBODY just tell Sverre Magnus to just put out his hands of his pockets at an official function which was a very special day for his grandmother...?! People these days seem to be almost scared to "traumatize" children by teaching them the simplest of social skills!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom