The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-20-2017, 02:13 AM
Aristocracy

I suppose that the dinners are private then.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Courtier

I could personally think that it is quite strange to create a Jubilee logo for this, used at the website and so on, if there is no official celebration of the Birthdays.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

1. I have talked to NRK on the phone, and what did they say? That they didn't know.

2. I have also talked to a friend who works there, and what did he say? That he didn't know anything for sure, but thought that something was planned.

3. What do I know so far? Not much, with the exeption of what I've heard from these geniuses who call themselves experts (and which I have now learned to take with a large pinch of salt).

4. What has the Royal Court said? I have seen the clip with communications manager Marianne Hagen (from February 21) again, where she said the following: The official celebration in Norway will be in May. Then it's the government who invites to a great dinner in the opera on May 10th. There will be a gala dinner at the palace for family and friends from home and abroad on May 9th, and we hope that we can take the Norwegian people to a part of that celebration as well.

It's poorly translated, but that's because I'm using exactly the same words as she did (so people can read it the way she said it).

What she meant: She hoped that the Norwegian people were allowed to take part (through television) in the gala dinner on May 9th as well.

5. What do I think? That the celebrations (and the television coverage) in no way will be as large as the Silver Wedding Anniversary in August 1993, the joint 60th Birthday celebrations in June 1997, the King's 70th Birthday celebrations in February 2007 and the Silver/Consecration Jubilees in January/June 2016.

Queen Sonja's 70th Birthday celebrations in July 2007 was a large celebration (especially when you take into consideration that she is just a consort), but she was not the monarch, and the television coverage was therefore much smaller and less extensive.

The joint 75th Birthday celebrations in May 2012 (not round, but half round birthdays) were celebrated on a lesser scale and the coverage was therefore much smaller and less extensive. See post 34/35 for more details.

Here are 5 likely scenarios:

1. The only thing planned by the royal court is the gala dinner at the palace and the dinner in the opera and they are not broadcasted by NRK1/2.

2. The only thing planned by the royal court is the gala dinner at the palace and the dinner in the opera and they are broadcasted by NRK1 in one-hours extended news programmes.

3. Large celebrations without television coverage:

May 9th: Gala dinner at the palace.

May 10th: There will be a service in Oslo Cathedral and an appearance on the balcony followed by the dinner in the opera.

4. Large celebrations with television coverage of the dinners, but not the other events:

May 9th: The gala dinner at the palace is broadcasted by NRK1 in an one-hour extended news programme.

May 10th: There will be a service in Oslo Cathedral and an appearance on the balcony followed by the dinner in the opera. Only the dinner is broadcasted by NRK1 in an one-hour extended news programme.

5. Large celebrations with television coverage:

May 9th: The gala dinner at the palace is broadcasted by NRK1 in an one-hour extended news programme.

May 10th: There will be a service in Oslo Cathedral and an appearance on the balcony followed by the dinner in the opera. Large broadcast throughout the day on NRK1.

I see scenario 5 as very unlikely. Yes, the king is more popular than ever, and the monarchy has record high support, but the crown prince couple has weakened the institution considerably in the media and in the political elite. And It's therefore unlikely that NRK will spend a lot of money on a large television broadcast after spending a lot of resources and funds on the Silver/Consecration Jubilees last year.

The television coverage for the Silver Jubilee on January 17, 2016 was large and NRK1/2 broadcasted throughout the day.

The television coverage for the Consecration Jubilee on June 23, 2016 was even larger and NRK1 broadcasted throughout the day. (It must have been one of the longest television broadcasts in Norway's history) See post 34/35.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

It now looks like It's scenario 2 in my above post that is correct. NRK1's TV schedule now shows that nothing is planned between 19:45 to 20:55 on May 9th and between 19:45 to 20:55 and 21:35 to 22:50 on May 10th.

Not much compared to coverage of previous royal celebrations in Norway, but (if this is correct) both the dinners will at least be broadcasted.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Courtier

Confirmation from Sweden, we don't know exactly what they will attend but they are attending the joint celebrations of King Harald and Queen Sonja's 80th birthdays.

The King, The Queen, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are attending on 9-10 May according to the website.

Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 04-26-2017, 08:02 AM
Courtier

We have it. The Norwegian Government has made a program, released today.

Tuesday 9 May

17.30 Entertainment at the Royal Palace Square, and at 18.30 will the Royal Family and their European guests appear on the balcony.

20.00 Gala dinner at the Royal Palace.

Wednesday 10 May
11.00 Luncheon at Kongeskipet Norge

19.00 Dinner at the Opera House. The dinner is the official gift to the Royal Couple on their birthdays from the Government. The Royals will go in cortege at Karl Johan Street from the Royal Palace to the Opera House.

https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktuel...ger/id2550678/

And as well by the Court:
http://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.ht...216&sek=112472
Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
We have it. The Norwegian Government has made a program, released today.

Tuesday 9 May

17.30 Entertainment at the Royal Palace Square, and at 18.30 will the Royal Family and their European guests appear on the balcony.

20.00 Gala dinner at the Royal Palace.

Wednesday 10 May
11.00 Luncheon at Kongeskipet Norge

19.00 Dinner at the Opera House. The dinner is the official gift to the Royal Couple on their birthdays from the Government. The Royals will go in cortege at Karl Johan Street from the Royal Palace to the Opera House.

https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktuel...ger/id2550678/

And as well by the Court:
Feiring av kongeparets 80-årsdager - kongehuset.no
Has the guest list for the gala dinner been released yet ?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Has the guest list for the gala dinner been released yet ?
Not yet. We'll probably not get it until the same day, or maybe the day before.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Not yet. We'll probably not get it until the same day, or maybe the day before.
Yes your are right, we have to wait until the royals houses update their calendars.. It seems King Felipe and Queen Letizia will not attend. The president of Costa Rica will make an official visit( no state visit) on may 8th-9th. i dont think they will attend the dinner on 9th or attend just the gala on 10th. most possible Sofia and JC will attend
Old 04-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Serene Highness

From Denmark the Queen, the CP Couple and (on 10 May only) Prince Joachim&Princess Marie will attend. They will travel and spend the night on their royal yacht Dannebrog.
Fejring af D.M. Kong Harald og Dronning Sonja af Norge | Kongehuset
Old 04-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I and others are very surprised right now because these celebrations will actually be as big as in 2007. The royal expert Kjell Arne Totland will talk about it shortly on TV 2 news channel.

He has seen the invitation and the gala dinner on May 9th will be white tie with tiaras/orders while the big dinner in the opera on May 10th will be black tie.

Read everything in english here:
https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuel...ays/id2550678/
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Majesty

How great!
attendance by the Sweden and Denmark royal families
It will be some special days
Old 04-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Translated by me:
Rekordfeiring av kongeparet: 30-40 kongelige gjester kommer til Oslo - Aftenposten
Quote:
Aftenposten has information that the number of royal guests from all over Europe is exceptionally high:

Between 30 and 40 majesties, dukes and exellents will be in Oslo. It will be the largest amount of royal guests since the wedding in 2001.

The palace in Oslo gives no information about the royal guest list. Nevertheless, everything suggests that that all of Europe's royal houses will be represented, with the possible exception of Liechstenstein.
Kjell Arne Totland also says that the presidents of Finland and Iceland are invited.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Translated by mee:
Rekordfeiring av kongeparet: 30-40 kongelige gjester kommer til Oslo - Aftenposten

Kjell Arne Totland also says that the presidents of Finland and Iceland are invited.
Nice to hear that. I like the tradition of the Nordic Head of states gather for this kind of celebrations.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
From Denmark the Queen, the CP Couple and (on 10 May only) Prince Joachim&Princess Marie will attend. They will travel and spend the night on their royal yacht Dannebrog.
Fejring af D.M. Kong Harald og Dronning Sonja af Norge | Kongehuset
That means they will stay on Danish territory a good deal of the time and Oslo is only a couple of hours sailing time from Danish territorial waters - so perhaps they will dispense with the Rigsforstander rule again?
Anyway it's considerate, since this means less people the NRF have to accommodate.

ADDED: I didn't think of Benedikte.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Nice to hear that. I like the tradition of the Nordic Head of states gather for this kind of celebrations.
I agree! It is said that the security in Oslo (not surprising) will be enormous. There are also rumors that the King and Queen is to be driven to the opera in an open car.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I agree! It is said that the security in Oslo (not surprising) will be enormous. There are also rumors that the King and Queen is to be driven to the opera in an open car.
Does the Norwegian Royal House still use horse-drawn carriages like in Sweden or Denmark ?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

Will the Kings of Spain also be present?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Courtier

In 2007 I remember that two of King Carl Gustaf's sisters, Princess Desiree and Princess Christina, attended the celebrations as well, as they seems to be close to the Norwegian royal family, and maybe Queen Sonja in particular.

However, this year I don't think that any of them will attend for obvious reasons. Princess Desiree's husband just died, and the funeral will take place 11 May, and Princess Christina is fighting cancer and is not seen very often in public due to this.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Will the Kings of Spain also be present?
i dont think so. The President of Costa Rica will pay an oficial visit to spain on may 8/9. Maybe Sofia and JC will attend-.