The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Serene Highness

I think the statue is lovely! It reflects HMs personality perfectly!

Old 07-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Kjell Arne Totland has written a long blog post, but he writes in a very old fashioned way, so it's very difficult for a dyslexic like me to translate it. But I hope it's readable - because it's very interesting and really worth a read:

Dronning Sonja 80 år – et lite portrett | Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland

Quote:
Queen Sonja turns 80

Her Majesty The Queen will be celebrated with a picnic in the park and summer festival at Bygdøy.

Happy birthday, Queen Sonja!

Tuesday 4th of July, Queen Sonja is turning 80.

The big day is marked by the royal family with several events in Oslo.

It all starts with the opening of "Queen Sonja art stable" in the old stable buildings in the palace park.

Then there is a picnic in Dronningparken, which is part of the palace Park, for invited guests.

The celebration ends with a summer party in large tents in the garden at Bygdøy Kongsgård for the royal couple's family and friends.

"I would like to congratulate our Queen most warmly on the day. It's hardly possible to believe that this vigorous and youthful lady actually turns 80'', says TV 2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland.

"I really think it's impressive to see how well she stays and how she follows the new times. The last time I saw her, I noticed that she had received a new digital wristwatch, which she even used to respond to mail and text'', he says.

Joint 80th celebrations

In May, the royal couple had a joint 80th celebration, since King Harald turned 80 years in February.

Then everyone was invited to the celebrations at the palace park, where among other things, free ice cream was given to all the visitors. Later that day there was a gala dinner at the Royal Palace.

The government also invited to a dinner in the Opera in honor of the royal couple with 300 invited guests from home and abroad.

During the dinner, King Harald and Queen Sonja held a common speech, and then the King praised the Queen.

"I had not managed to do this this without her" said King Harald in the speech.

She has brought the royal house into a new era

Totland believes that Sonja shall have a lot of credit for that Norway have a well-functioning and popular monarchy.

"Together with King Harald, she has managed to bring the monarchy into a new era and make it relevant to new generations. But first and foremost, in fact, it's her profit that we have the happy and popular king that we have in this country. King Harald herself says she meant everything to him - and that he would never have handled the role of monarch without her'', Totland says.

TV 2's royal expert has followed Sonja closely since she became Norway's Queen in 1991.

"My admiration and respect for her has always been great - and it has actually only increased over the years. She impresses greatly with her perfectionism and enthusiasm for what she's interested in'', Totland says.

Queen Sonja was born Sonja Haraldsen in Oslo on July 4, 1937. She met (then) Crown Prince Harald in 1959. She became Crown Princess when they married in 1968, and later Queen when King Olav died in January 1991.
A descriptive profile of Queen Sonja; I think both of her children have derived some attributes from her. Thank you for translating it.

Quote:
Isaksen points out that it's Sonja's merit that culture has become one of the supporting elements of the monarchy today. Sonja has been good at using art to promote Norway abroad. Among other things, she participated in the opening of "Munch vs. Warhol »in New York in April 2013, and in 2016 she opened the exhibition« Painting Norway: Nikolai Astrup (1880-1928) »in London.

[...]

''It has annoyed me. For example, when you're on an official engagement, the press does not write about what's going on, but just about clothes you wear. It is very disappointing'', the Queen said in an interview with NTB in February.
I would have to agree.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Majesty

Gallery for so far celebrations

PPE Agency
Old 07-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Aristocracy

Royal Norway,
This is such an *outstanding brilliant* piece of work that you have done here. I am so amazed by it, reading about this wonderful lady and all that she has had to go through to get where she is today, shows that Queen Sonja is one very strong intelligent lady who never gives up. She is such a great role model for the young women of Norway.

Still lots more to read yet wanted to impart that to you.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Here are more pics of today's celebrations:

** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: 'Pay attention!' Norwegian Prince looks BORED during a formal engagement (and it's not the first time the 11-year-old has had to be brought in check) **
Old 07-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I think the statue is lovely! It reflects HMs personality perfectly!
Agree! And the so-called experts seems to like it to. There are many articles about it, and I will trancelate some of them later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
A descriptive profile of Queen Sonja; I think both of her children have derived some attributes from her. Thank you for translating it.
I agree! And you're very welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Royal Norway,
This is such an *outstanding brilliant* piece of work that you have done here. I am so amazed by it, reading about this wonderful lady and all that she has had to go through to get where she is today, shows that Queen Sonja is one very strong intelligent lady who never gives up. She is such a great role model for the young women of Norway.

Still lots more to read yet wanted to impart that to you.
Thank you very much! And nice of you to say.

And yes, Queen Sonja is a wonderful lady who has done so much for this country - despite criticism and personal problems.

More about today:

After all the criticism of the CP couple during the past 4 years, the King has decided to open up the monarchy even more, and cameras are being let in to the private party at Bygdøy this evening. And thats the rigth vay to go when it comes to the monarchy in Norway - because then the ordinary people feel that they are participating.

The NRK1 broadcast from the palace park and the art stable:
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/nyheter/NNFA41008917/04-07-2017

The VG broadcast:
VGTV

The TV2 broadcast - not available, but here's a video of some of it:
Turdronning Sonja fikk seg selv i gave

Edit: Forgot to mention that Marius Borg Høiby were present along with his girlfriend.

Edit: A video from Royal Central's Oskar Aanmoen - very poor quality, so se the broadcast/video above:
Old 07-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

NRK live video link from the arrivals at Bygdøy Kongsgår - hope it works outside Norway - starts in 5 min: http://www.nrk.no/kultur/festaften-p...ard-1.13588495

Edit: NRK calls her popular in yet another article, while one of the newspapers goes so far and calls her beloved - something she has never been called before.

Edit: The live video starts now.

Edit: It's black tie.

Edit: The King and Queen is greeting the guests.

Edit: Still greeting guests.

Edit: This is a private celebration, but there are some official guests - including the Prime Minister.

Edit: Marius Borg Høiby and his girlfriend will be be present, but not in front of the cameras.

Edit: Not more guests to greet - the private party starts now.

Edit: The Queen is criticized by art-historians for what she exhibits in the art stable and the fact that it will cost 100 kroner to get in.

Edit: And again, the experts are very mean to her - accusing her of taking money from ''poor artists'' because she has received art-gifts for the stable.

Edit: And as one of the royal experts has said, no one has had to stand up to the Law of Jante more than Queen Sonja.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

When it was in 1999 , for Prince Philippe 's Wedding , we had an important Exibition at our Fine Arts Museum about our painter James Ensor.
The Royal Family of Norway wanted to visit the Exhibition , a Visit was organised on a Monday when the Museum was closed.
Queen Sonja wanted to be guided by the Curator and a Friend of mine the King ans his daughter.
She noticed directly that Paintings was not King Harald's cup of tea. So after a while she started with a Joke and ho what happen , such a heavy Laugh from the King that the Queen and our Curator were shocked . At the end, the King's Bodyguard said that she was an excellent Guide.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very interesting! And no, paintings/art is certainly not King Harald's cup of tea - he has said so him self.

Article with pictures and a 8 min video from the party tonight - trancelated by me:
https://www.nrk.no/kultur/disse-delt...den-1.13588495
Quote:
These will attend the dinner at Bygdøy

Tonight the Queen's birthday celebration ends with a party night at Bygdø Kongsgård. The party is the royal couple's joint 80th birthday.

The guests arrived at bygdøy around 19:15. Queen Sonja is wearing a purple dress, and the royal couple greeted the guests who arrived. Among the guests is the mayor of Oslo, Marianne Borgen.

Princess Astrid was welcomened by the royal couple. Lis Haraldsen, widow of Queen Sonja's brother, has also arrived at the party.

Artist Magne Furuholmen and his wife are also among the guests tonight. Magne Furuholmen has become close friend with the Queen in recent years.

Prime Minister Erna Solberg and her husband Sindre Finnes arrived together at at bygdøy - the prime minister dressed a long green dress.

Sources has confirmed to NRK that Marius Borg Høiby and his girlfriend Linn Helena Nilsen will be present tonight.

Politicians such Fabian Stang (former major of Oslo) and Catharina Munthe (his wife) are regular guests at royal parties and were also present tonight.

The Crown Prince couple arrived at the party with Crown Princess Mette-Marit's mother, Marit Tjessem and Princess Märtha Louise.

Dance, food and drinks

Present at the party tonight are close friends and family. According to what the NRK experiences, there are around 100 people invited to the party. There will be good food, good drink and dance. It is known that the Queen is very fond of dancing and jazz music.

Earlier today, the Queen celebrated the birthday with the unveiling of the statue in the palace park, and the opening of the art stable. When the stable was opened, the Queen held a speech for the guests. She said it was a dream come true.

"As you know, in recent years I have had an extra commitment to promote graphic arts. Opening the art stable with an exhibition of graphics is a dream for me''.

She thanked at the same time for all the presents, and said that she is looking forward to welcoming new artists and art forms to the art stable in the future.
There are written very many article about the celebrations today - I will translate some of them tomorrow, and maybe an article about the statue tonight.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks so much Royal Norway!
Lovely statue of Queen Sonja and wonderful art stable.
Good know Marius Borg Høiby was there.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

You're very welcome!

I urge everyone from Scandinavia to see this wonderful 30 min documentary where this warm and caring person (Queen Sonja) shows NRK around in the art stable. It was broadcast on NRK1 tonight:
https://tv.nrk.no/program/NNFA300000...-fyller-80-aar

This has been a wonderful day with much praise for Norway's 80-year-old Queen consort - something she deserves.

I'm going to translate 2 or 3 articles tomorrow. I'm also going to write a bit about the golden wedding anniversary next year - we've got some interesting information about it.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Märtha posted this heartwarming Instagram message to her mother, Queen Sonja, on her 80th birthday - writing: ''Happy 80th Birthday to one of my greatest inspirations in life: My Mom. Thank you for being stubborn enough to change what needed changing, loving enough to let everyone around you blossom and intuitive enough to let everyone be appreciated for who they are.'' She also posted this picture:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD50GL7XYAEFx_D.jpg

And here you can read a bit about the silly criticism she received by some art-experts yesterday:
Queen Sonja is delighted with the art gallery - Norway Today
Old 07-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Majesty

Some photos from the gallery opening
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-34dY4dv0o...r_tc0b9355.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l1lrw1WmR...r_tc0b9137.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6Ylx0Dj71...r_tc0b90f6.jpg
Old 07-08-2017, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Sonja statue unveiled by her grandchildren.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I haven't had the time to post more articles or go through the news that came out about the golden wedding anniversary, but I will do it (maybe tomorrow).

Thanks for the video An Ard Ri! I've posted all the broadcasts in post 566 and a 8 min video from the party at Bygdøy in post 569, but for those who likes to watch YouTube videos - see them here:

Old 07-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Majesty

BB's Anna Johannesen reports that the reason for Haakon shaving off his beard during the dinner was that he and his sister, Märtha Louise, performed a sketch depicting their parents and in order to do that, Haakon had to remove his beard and put on a "bald-cap". - The sketch was a big success.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forum but would like help with my genealogy.
I'm Norwegian-American living in France and can't make out among the many Lorentzen family members in Holmestrand, Norway. They are so many there among the many Lorentzens that are originally from there.

My family is called Lorentzen too and particularly so that's the name of my great,great-grandmother Catherina Fredrikke Fredrikke Lorentzen (married to husband Wilhelmsen). I'd like to know what degree of parenthood there is between my ancestor Catharina and Mrs Lorentzen, Ragnhild of the Royal Norwegian Palace.

The family tree from Holmestrand is too complex for me to find my way through. Our family is from Tonsberg (that is just 40 km from Holmestrand). Tonsberg is the district's main town which Holmestrand comes under.

Thank you to the royal fans who know how to make their ways through the genealogy of those Norwegian genealogies of the past and can give me a breakdown of the link and degree of separation between those two ladies of my family-lineage.

Thank you to all... and don't mind my pointless questions: DK.