70th birthday celebrations of Queen Sonja

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like these pictures; they show how close this family is.
Thanks for posting!!

That could be right, I remember that the Spanish King and Queen cancelled their part in the celebrations for Queen beatrix 60th birthday due to an ETA bomb-attack in Spain but they did fly over to have lunch and left afterwards. So for Queen Sofia to do a simular thing, honouring a friend and showing respect to the killed Spanish soldiers by not celebrating.

It seems Queen Sonja's image changed since she became a grandmother and mother-in-law.
Looking at pictures of the Queen taken at the beginning of Harald's reign (around the 90s), Sonja often looked "cold" and "snobby", IMO.
(She once said that she's quite a shy person and that's the reason why she sometimes doesn't smile.)
She had some problems with the Norwegian government back then that didn't really accept her as an "equal" Queen at King Harald's side.
Since she became a gradmother she looks more relaxed and "warmer", IMO.
I mean.. just look at the pictures of Sonja hugging Mette.. or the Queen reading fairytales to her grandchildren...
It seems in the beginning Sonja has just not been accepted because of her common backround... just the same as Mette-Marit had to go through.

Not accepted by who? I believe Sonja wasn't accepted by the courtiers and first by her father in law (the most foolish mistake he ever made, he admitted later, which is rather charming). I think that Mette-M received support form her in-laws and the court but that the Norwegian public had more problems with her then they had with the unblemished Sonja Haraldsen in 1968.

:ausflag::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:
A message to all of Norway; the NRF & the people of Norway...
I am very sorry to hear of the twin terror attacks and wish you all well in your recovery. May you find the strength needed to overcome these senseless attack on your cities, and your people come together in support of each other.
My love and thoughts are with you all, I hope you never have to endure such nastiness again.
With love & friendship from Australia
xoxos

Here are a few of the photos I took when I visited "Flor og Fjaere" - (where Queen Sonja and many Royals went for part of the birthday celebrations).

Attachments

• IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3055.jpg
    IMG_3055.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
A truly beautiful place - and the guide told us how Queen Sonja had her birthday there.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3188.jpg
    IMG_3188.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 96
Beautiful garden furniture everywhere.

And amazing tropical plants - in Norway!

Attachments

• IMG_3208.jpg
    IMG_3208.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 148
So immaculate - not a leaf out of place, not a wilted flower anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: eya
Back