70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely dress for Mette-Marit and Martha Louise, really great thanks

Thanks a million - Henri

Henri M. said:
According to the commentator on TV it was a Norwegian lullaby which Crown Princess Märtha used to sing for her children.

My translation (not very litteral, Norwegian/German/Dutch have lot in common, but it gives the core essence)

the first song I ever heard
was what my mother sang near the cradle
her gentle words found their way to my heart

and were able to stop my tears

her words did comfort me
made me silent and willing to sleep
they showed a wonderful path
from our little house

I can still see that path
when I close my eyes
an angel stands there, gentle smile,
as only my mother could smile

and when I'm tired
I go to sleep and lay down my body
I softly hear from my mother's grave
that song, that makes all fine

Something like that. Anyway, the King was emotioned (and his sisters as well).

Thanks a million for responding and so quickly with a translation. I have printed it out to savor for awhile.

I'm not a fan of Mette-Marit's dress. The cut is nice, but I don't like the color. It washes her out a little. I'd like the dress if it was a darker color.....maybe a dark purple.

Martha's dress though....WOW!! I love it! I would absolutely wear it if I owned it. The color combo of blue roses on the white dress....very nice. But what was up with Ari? He's looking a little ragged. He needs a hair cut and a shave.

Bitter cold chills royal birthday bash
Bitter cold chills royal birthday bash - Aftenposten.no

Royal birthday celebration underway
Royal birthday celebration underway - Aftenposten.no

Congratulations to King Harald on his 70th birthday!
The Norway Post : Congratulations to King Harald on his 70th birthday!

King's wish-list caused confusion
King's wish-list caused confusion - Aftenposten.no

COMIENZAN EN NORUEGA LOS GRANDES FASTOS CON LOS QUE EL REY HARALD CELEBRA SU 70º CUMPLEAÑOS
COMIENZAN EN NORUEGA LOS GRANDES FASTOS CON LOS QUE EL REY HARALD CELEBRA SU 70º CUMPLEAÑOS

Last edited:
I can't wait to see more pictures. The ladies are dressed wonderfully, esp. MM!

Happy Birthday to King Harald! Everyone looks really great! I love Mette-Marit's outfit that she wore to the unveiling of the statue of Crown Princess Martha. Her blonde hair, and the white scarf look great with the gray coat and black hat. Hopefully this is the start of a great week of celebrations!

thank you all for the fab pictures !! I love Mette marits evening dress she looked lovely !!! there again all the ladies look good !!

Happy 70th Birthday Your Majesty, King Harald! :flowers: May you see many more!

Thank you everyone for the pictures, they are all smashing!
Honestly, I loved every one of the three women's outfits (including Sonja's fur ;) )! M-L's gala dress...OMG, tre magnific! And M-M's gown was nice, beautiful cut, nice colour. In some of the PPE pictures from the gala she reminded me of the late Belinda Emmett. Sonja's outfit looks familiar, like the one she wore to Astrid's birthday a few weeks ago. Is it the same?

Maycastle said:
Princess Martha looked stunning in her gown. I think that this one was worn before?
Yes, you are right. She wore it for the 60th Birthday Celebrations of the parents in 1997 and for a State Visit in 2000.

I simply love Mette-Marit's dress! I think it looks so lovely on her and makes her look really elegant!
Neverteless, the most beautiful dress was worn by Märtha-Louise! I truely love her dress!
It's Gorgeous!

JessRulz said:
Sonja's outfit looks familiar, like the one she wore to Astrid's birthday a few weeks ago. Is it the same?
Yes, it is the same. Princess Astrid also wore the same dress as on her birthday.
Let's hope she'll pull out a new dress on the GrandBall on Saturday!

Last edited:
Her_Majesty said:
Yes, it is the same. Princess Astrid also wore the same dress as on her birthday.
Let's hope she'll pull out a new dress on the GrandBall on Saturday!

Thanks HM! Yes, let us hope that she has been running around Oslo (or Norway) scouting a new, wonderful dress to wear at the Grand Ball! :)

Many thanks to all of you for the beautiful pics . :flowers: Nice evening .
I agree with most of you : the 3 royal ladies were absolutely stunning .

I'm not that fond of Queen Sonja's dress but I have to say that this woman is always beautiful, no matter what she wears : she is so elegant, so feminine and has such a beautiful face ... so is her daughter, by the way .

About Mette-Marit : not only she is a naturally very pretty person, but this evening, her dress and hair-do were fantastic ! A true fairy-tale princess ...:clap:

Martha Louise dress was really beautiful and to me it suits her really well, and that makes everything on a dress!The blue colour was so different and it suits her well because of her skin colour!
MM dress was not so beautiful, was to simple to me, but, in my opinion, it suits her well because of her hair colour! Brown with blond suits well!

Queen Paola has the influenza and she and her husband is not comming this weekend.:neutral: source VG

No new dresses

The dresses worn by The Queen, The Crown Princess and Princess Märtha Louise were all 'oldies', but of course all looked fabulous.

Mette-Marits dress is new, atleast it has not been used in a oublic before, Märtha Louises dress is 10 years old, from the 60th birthday of her parents in 1997:lol: and Princess Astrid and Queen Sonja wore the dresses from Princess Astrids birthday last week

Larzen said:
Mette-Marits dress is new, atleast it has not been used in a oublic before, Märtha Louises dress is 10 years old, from the 60th birthday of her parents in 1997:lol: and Princess Astrid and Queen Sonja wore the dresses from Princess Astrids birthday last week

I had the idea the Crown Princess has worn this beige gown during a visit by or to Queen Elizabeth II.
But I stand corrected.

:flowers:

Everyone looked amazing durng the dinner but my personal favourite is Crown Princess Mette-Marit. She was stunning, especially in this picture.

Happy Birthday to King Harald. May he have many birthdays like this to come, surrounded by his loving family. :)

Last edited:
Mette-Marit looks beautiful!!!

MM looked every inch elegent, the coat with dress was very pretty I also think the color worked with her skin tone nicely. Martha-louise also look beautiful in he rblue gown, and the black jacket over it was nice, it gave it her personall touch

What can I say? All the Norwegian royal ladies are stunning tonight! Esp/ Princess MLouise who is a picture perfect Princess tonight! She is a younger version of her mother, but prettier if I might say so, with alot from her dad!

i'm glad now we got more pictures of the ladies' dresses. they are all beautiful, mette marit's pink gown with the jacket definitely suits her and martha louise's blue flowers in a white background both looked so feminine, simple and elegant. any ideas on the designers? the queen's top and her fur were as well really nice, but i think her daughter and daughter-in-law were the best dressed this evening!

i can't wait to the gala... it's a shame the other royal families didn't attend this reception!

i forgot to say that mette marit looked so pretty in her great-black outfit during the day for the statue unveiling. the whole event was adorable: the song was so sweet and the king looked so emotional...

what is the schedule for today?

Last edited:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KING HARALD!!! I must agree all the royal ladies look beautiful. Although the dress for Mette Marit is a bit simple it really goes with her.

Mette-marit looks AMAZING in that dress, the colour is amazing on her and the cut around the shoulders is beautiful. She looks so elegant, modern and like a Princess should.

All the ladies look lovely, can't wait for the coming few days to see how the celebrations go.

Happy Birthday to king Harald. All the ladies look lovely, but Mette Marit looks amazing and elegant.

carlota said:
.... it's a shame the other royal families didn't attend this reception!

Heu..., well..., yesterday's event was by Norwegians and for Norwegians...
After all Harald V is their King and they are His Majesty's citizens.
:flowers:

Yes MM seams to have lost weight and to me that's why she looks so good in all her clothes this time!

Back
Top Bottom