70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally Posted by wymanda
Why is this forum disintegrating into prudery?

Well, for me this is not so much a matter of prudery, but of (or lack of) style.
I just cannot understand how she could come up with the idea that this "gown" was the right choice for an official birthday of a 70-year-old couple!
Of course this doesn´t mean that she has to appear buttoned up or stuff like that, but this is simply a tastless outfit.
We´re talking about a princess here, not a rocksinger at an award show.
But, to be honest, I´ve never seen this woman nicely dressed. It always seems to be a bit over the top...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mette Marit was the best dressed royal lady, Absolute queen of the ball. :flowers: Her hairdo was perfect too. Q Sylvia dress had beautiful color. Victoria dress was very graceful and it flattered her.
Mary of Denmark disappointed me. I've always considered her the best dressed crown princess in Europe.But her last dress did nothing to her. It was booooring, even dowdy.

Mabel and Madeline dresses looked just tacky.

What happened with Mathilde and Phelipe. I saw their pictures when they just arrived to Norway. Did I miss something?

Lakshmi said:
Mette Marit was the best dressed royal lady, Absolute queen of the ball. :flowers: Her hairdo was perfect too. Q Sylvia dress had beautiful color. Victoria dress was very graceful and it flattered her.
Mary of Denmark disappointed me. I've always considered her the best dressed crown princess in Europe.But her last dress did nothing to her. It was booooring, even dowdy.

Mabel and Madeline dresses looked just tacky.

What happened with Mathilde and Phelipe. I saw their pictures when they just arrived to Norway. Did I miss something?

I think they're to late for the evening event...

Any pictures of Mathilde and Phillipe?(Besids those from their arrival to Norway)

wymanda said:
Why is this forum disintegrating into prudery?

Totally agree ... Some say also that Madeleine's dress was inappropriate ... I don't see it so . She just wear gowns a 24 years old is "allowed" to wear . She only takes advantage of it . Nothing wrong with that ...:rolleyes:
She has her entire life left to wear dresses more classy and "appropriate" ...

Mette Marit was amazing... she is gorgeous...

I also love Maxima... very beautiful...

Queen Sonja and Queen Silvia also look wonderful...

but, Princess Anne, the cloak? oh my god! it's hideous!

I also don't like Queen Anne-Marie dress.

btw, where's Queen Sofia and King Juan, do they come? also Belgian and Leichtenstein. Do they send somebody?

royalgertjan said:
at what time arrived the royals guest this morning?

This morning the royal guest arrive at 11h30.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.madeleine.gl/photography/royal/230207_cityhall/photos/pic10.jpg
This is a beautiful picture !

Oh well, I think the dress Mary wore was a disappointing but I would KILL for that fur, it was SO gorgeous :wub: The hair, the makeup the smile, and the jewels were perfect, but the dress was a disappointement, but she didn't look bad, she looked nice, but you always expect something faboulous from Mary :) The dress really suits her.
Maxima looked amazing, best dressed lady of the evening with Mary ! The only thing that ruined it was the furcoat she wore, not really my thing I have to say, but she really did look stunning.

But I don't really see the big fuss about Mette-Marit's dress. To me, it's just a borring grey dress. She looks better than she has one some other events, but she can do so much better .

The best dressed were imo Maxima, Mary, Märtha-Louise and Maria-Theresa .

Last edited:
Oh...I have never heard Princess Madeleine being criticized so much as she is now... But I must say I agree with those of you who say she wasn't well dressed. I wonder what she was thinking when she picked that pink nightgown... it made her look fat or pregnant. Actually I think she has put on some weight...so some diet or exercises would do her good. When she was pictured next to Victoria she looked...well: she looked big. :ermm: Nevertheless, I like her hair...she has very nice hair.
As for Mary. Yes...her dress was something of a disappointment. But don't forget she is pregnant and maybe she didn't want to emphasize it...don't know why but that dress didn't show any curves....she could have felt tired, or uncomfortable or something.
I was pleasently surprised at Mette-Marit's choice of dress...she usually wears very plain dresses that would suit for a librarian but not for a princess (sorry but this is how I see her sense of style) but this evening gown was really very, very nice and stylish. :clap:Good to see she is improving! Hope she will keep it up!

These are my words for what Mary wore : Elegant, not spectacular - amd yes, with the fur coat on .. spectacular !

Last edited:
crisiñaki said:
I love Madeleine, but she looks like an ex-wife of Rod Stewart. :ermm:
crisiñaki, this should win the award for the best line in the thread. :flowers:

mette marit, maxima, alexia and alexandra of berleburg were definitely among my favourites. all of them destiled beauty, feminineness and class. even when mette-marit's dress was similar to the one the day before, i think she couldn't have chose better. colour, cut... her dress was perfection and she really stood out. the same for maxima, i think the colour she chose and the emeralds (and hairdo, of course) were a great combination.

not too sure about madeleine's dress, i love the pastel colour and how feminine it looks, but i thought it looked far too bare. victoria, however, chose one of her (imo) most beautiful gowns. i always loved that dress. think her hairdo could have been a lot better.

not sure on what to say about maria teresa, mabel, mary or anne. specially mabel, i thought her dress was completely inappropriate.

in the arrival pictures i saw a bellboy carrying two outfits in elie saab's covers. who of the ladies wore a new elie saab? i think i heard it was mary's gown that was in that cover.

i'm a bit disappointed about Mary's gala dress and IMO the fur coat didn't look good on her.;) MM's gown was stunning!

I really don't like the dress of Madeleine, I found Maria- Teresa wonderful

Sharing a shawl

HRH Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands and HH Princess Märtha Louise leave Oslo City Hall, together with mr. Ari Behn.
See picture.

They share a shawl together to find some protection against the sniping cold. The impressive diamond earhangers are visible on this picture. Too picty there is no close up. (Princess Laurentien wore one big and two smaller prongs from the gold-and-diamond East Indies Diademe as broche and earrings)

Nice to see such excellent relationships. Princess Märtha Louise has lived in the Netherlands for a while and is also privately close to Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Is there the possibility to read Märtha Louise´s speech in english?

BTW I saw a broadcast of the church service february 21 on german TV. The reporter said that princess Ranghild the other sister of king Harald didnt come to his birthday because of some family disputes. And thats the reason why she didnt come to princess Astrids birthday last week either. Does anybody know the reasons about it?

Antje said:
Is there the possibility to read Märtha Louise´s speech in english?

BTW I saw a broadcast of the church service february 21 on german TV. The reporter said that princess Ranghild the other sister of king Harald didnt come to his birthday because of some family disputes. And thats the reason why she didnt come to princess Astrids birthday last week either. Does anybody know the reasons about it?

I think the reason is that princess Ranghilds husband has been paying for a girl he is not the farther of...But the again i don´t think that princess Ranghild is not the funnis person to be with when CP MetteMarit and Ari Behn also is in the room..i rember for som time ago she tolde a journalist that she thougt that CP MetteMarit and Ari Behn was the wrong thoise for CP Haakon and princess MárthaLouise to be marryed with because of their bacground..:mad: What a stupid reason for her to say that..as i said befor she and her husband is not among the best themself with their own background.

Prince Albert did attend. Caroline didn't.

Anita said:
Totally agree ... Some say also that Madeleine's dress was inappropriate ... I don't see it so . She just wear gowns a 24 years old is "allowed" to wear . She only takes advantage of it . Nothing wrong with that ...:rolleyes:
She has her entire life left to wear dresses more classy and "appropriate" ...

I also didn't see what was SO wrong with her dress. I think sometimes, one person makes a comment and everyone else jumps on the band wagon. Mad looked fine. Maybe an updo would have made it look more elegant, but still it was okay.

Back
Top Bottom