1905-2005, September biography: Sonja

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Her Majesty, Queen Sonja of Norway, was born on July 4th, 1937 as Sonja Haraldsen. She was the youngest of Karl August and Dagny Haraldsen’s four children. The Haraldsen family, Karl August, Dagny, Haakon (b.1921), Gry (b. 1924) and Sonja, lived on Vindern in Oslo. Sonja’s other brother, Karl Herman (b. 1929), died the year before she was born.

As Gry and Haakon were so much older than Sonja, she was practically raised as an only child and she was perhaps a bit spoiled as a result. She spent much time with the neighbour’s children playing in the sandbox or with dolls. During the German occupation of Norway, Sonja really felt like an only child. Her brother, Haakon, fled to Sweden to avoid the German work-service. Her sister, Gry, was arrested for a minor transgression when she got involved with an illegal business, then she escaped to Sweden when she was released. But Sonja’s mother promised that her older brother and sister would bring back bubble gum for Sonja when they could return, so little Sonja was looking forward to the end of the war.

Sonja started school during the occupation and joined the girl scout movement. Dressed in her uniform, she was part of the crowd that welcomed the Royal family home after their exile. She wanted to see the King and the Crown Princess, like so many others on that day.

The Haraldsen family celebrated Easter in the Norwegian mountains while summers were spent in their cabin at Tjøme, so Sonja developed an early fondness for nature that she has become known for in recent years. She skied and she sailed, but her parents did not give her permission to do more dangerous things. The loss of the brother that Sonja never knew made them more protective of Sonja. But in 1950, she was allowed to go to a sailing camp for youngsters at Hankø. She enjoyed spending time with people her own age, and one day Prince Harald came from behind and pulled her scarf. It was a few years before they met again.

As Sonja grew up, she became fond of knitting and sewing and she began making her own clothes and she also knitted for several of her friends. When she tired of highschool and schoolwork, she applied to Oslo Yrkesskole to learn dress making and tailoring. At the school, she joined sports teams in every discipline, including ski-jumping.

After a year there, 17-year old Sonja went to Switzerland to attend a fashion school. Why Switzerland? «I can ski there, and that’s the best I know, aside from sewing.» She spent two years in Switzerland where she learned French and spent a lot of time on the slopes competing in the Slalom.

Intending to join her father’s clothing store business, she began studying trade and economics in 1957, though she decided to spend the next year in Cambridge to learn English and have some fun. She joined Cambridge Water-Ski Club, being one of the few female members. During the summer, she worked a bit at one of the pubs in town and celebrated her 21st birthday alone in the back room of the pub, reading letters from home. Sonja stayed at Cambridge for a year, before returning to Oslo to work at the family store.

But, as Sonja herself has said: «After a short period of time, I’d cleaned and organised the store several times, and had become antsy. I needed something else to do.» Any plans she might’ve entertained were thwarted by her father’s sudden and unexpected death in 1959. From that point, Sonja spent the next months home as company for her mother, taking care of the garden and the car. She said no to every party invitation she got, except for one, when her mother urged her to get out. At that party, she met Crown Prince Harald, again.

From then on, they met from time to time and Harald invited her to the graduating ball of the military academy he was attending. There, one lucky photographer managed to take the first snapshot of them together. The romance escalated and yet, very little was written in the press. Their circle of friends and some family members knew of the romance, but nobody said a peep. Everyone tried to keep it hidden longer.

There were some stories and the foreign press didn’t have the same discretion as that of the Norwegian press. Foreign press-photographers showed up at Sonja's school and followed her everywhere. After an extremely taxing period, Sonja escaped to France.

During the last year of their secret relationship, Sonja and Harald rarely spent any time together in Norway. But nine years after the initial meeting at the party, on March 19 1968, King Olav finally gave his approval to the match, and the engagement was announced.

There was a great debate on the radio and in the newspapers on the future of the monarchy, how a girl of the people could get approval to marry the Crown Prince. Many called it the end of the monarchy.

But Sonja and Harald persevered. They married in a ceremony in Oslo Cathedral on August 29 1968. The honeymooners went to Brazil, Mexico and Hawaii.

After the fairy tale wedding, the Crown Prince and the new Crown Princess settled into Skaugum and to an everyday life that included journeys all over the world to meet people.

Sonja suffered through a miscarriage before Märtha Louise came into the world in 1971. With the addition of Haakon Magnus in 1973, the family was complete.

Her private role was perhaps easier to adapt to than her public role. As her mother-in-law had passed away more than a decade before, the role as Norway’s first lady, which had been Princess Astrid's since then, fell onto the Crown Princess. The Norwegian monarchy was, at the time, dominated by men, and manly men, at that. Sonja began to alter that with her interest in art and languages. She admitted on several occasions that her first years as a Crown Princess weren’t easy and when her son married, she did her best so that her daughter-in-law, would have it easier than she had it.

Sonja also managed to get some studying done between her royal duties and has obtained a degree in French, English and Art History from the University of Oslo.

From 1987 to 1990 she was the vice president of the Norwegian Red Cross. She also worked much with the situation of refugees and immigrants.

In 1991, King Olav passed away and Harald became King of Norway, with Sonja as his Queen. The official blessing ceremony took place in Nidarosdomen with a following round-trip of Norway, just as their predecessors had done when they ascended to the throne.

In the years since the ascension, the King and Queen have worked hard for Norway, both in and ouside of the country. Sonja played a large part in the cultural aspects of 1994 Olympics at Lillehammer and the Paralympics. The monarchs have gone on numerous state visits and they have received numerous dignitaries in Norway.

Queen Sonja is interested in art and culture, skiing (she is a trained ski-instructor), sports and decorating. She also spends time taking trips, either by foot, or on skis, in the Norwegian mountains, and usually starts her day with a quick run.

Among her protectorates are: The Norwegian Cancer Society, The Norwegian Opera, The Norwegian Sports for the Handicapped Society and The Norwegian Red Cross.

Sources: http://www.kongehuset.no/
"Sonja - Norges Kronprinsesse"
Haagen Ringnes - "Samtaler med Dronningen"

Last edited:
Little Sonja in 1937:
1937.jpg

Anybody notice a similarity to Ingrid Alexandra?

Sonja in 1940:
1940.jpg

Sonja with older brother and sister:
1940something.jpg

Sonja, the girl-scout, ca. 1945:
1945speider.jpg

Ca. 1945-46:
1946.jpg

1947:
1947.jpg

1951:Sonja also enjoys sailing:
1951.jpg

1953, Sonja in her first real ball gown, at the time of her confirmation:
1953.jpg

Sonja in 1955:
1955.jpg

Sonja and her friend, Tessa, in front of the Matterhorn in 1956:
1956matterhorn.jpg

Sonja in 1956:
1956september.jpg

1957, Punting in Cambridge:
1958.jpg

1957, with sister, Gry, at Tjøme:
1957.jpg

Sonja, in 1959, looking at Harald's grades from the Military Academy:
1959august.jpg

Sonja & Harald in 1959, at Harald's graduation ball:
1959.jpg

1967, on a quick trip to Cambridge to get away from the Norwegian press:
1967cambridge.jpg

1968. engagement:
1968forlovelse.jpg

1968forlovelse2.jpg

1968, Sonja's first public engagement:
1968firstpublic.jpg

1968, official wedding photograph:
1968wedding.jpg

1970, skiing with Harald:
1970.jpg

1971, portrait:
1971.jpg

1971, mother and daughter:
1971baby.jpg

1971, proud parents at Märtha Louise's christening:
1971christening.jpg

1972, photoshoot at Skaugum:
1972.jpg

1973, mother and son:
1971haakon.jpg

1973, mother and son return from hospital, Märtha Louise greets them:
1973homefromhospital.jpg

1975, Harald and Sonja going fishing:
1975.jpg

1976, study-trip to Florence, Italy:
1976florence.jpg

1979, meeting refugees in Kuala Lumpur:
1979kualalumpur.jpg

1981, going to a gala in Paris:
1981.jpg

1981, official photo:
1981officialphoto.jpg

1982, trip to Greenland, with Prince Henrik of Denmark, Queen Margrethe of Denmark and, then, President of Iceland, Vigdis Finnbogadóttir:
1982.jpg

1988, picture of the family:
1988.jpg

1989, going on ski-trip with Queen Margrethe and guide:
1989.jpg

1991, official photo in Trondheim around the ascension:
1991signing.jpg

1992, attending a silver wedding in Denmark:
1992.jpg

1997, portrait from "Samtaler med Dronningen" (Talks with the Queen)
1997.jpg

queen sonja

Good work, norwegianne, I have liked much, the album of photos, queen Sonia was a very handsome girl, by the way if the mother of Sonia worked in a the real palace of Oslo like costurera, (I create to understand), Harald already conocia to Sonia to possibly see it by the palace accompanying its mother, you do not create?

Wow Norwegianne! Thanks for all the info and the pictures. Sonja wa sa really butiful teenager and child. Ingdrid Alexandra look so much like her grandma!

nat127 said:
Good work, norwegianne, I have liked much, the album of photos, queen Sonia was a very handsome girl, by the way if the mother of Sonia worked in a the real palace of Oslo like costurera, (I create to understand), Harald already conocia to Sonia to possibly see it by the palace accompanying its mother, you do not create?

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to convey here... Sonja's mother hasn't worked at the palace.

In some of the pictures the Queen looks very much like Martha Louise. The Queen was a very pretty young woman, no wonder Harald liked her.

Queen Sonja was a really beautiful young woman! (and she still is ;) )
Does anyone have some more pictures of the Queen? (I think there's no Picture thread, so you could post them here :) )
http://www.angelfire.com/nh/1968norway/
I have a question about the stillbirthes of Sonja (very sad to hear :( )
Have the pregnancys already been officially announced when it happened?

Last edited:
i dont really understand norway about the debate does anyone has more information about this ''debate''when sonja was engage to the crown prince .Harald was being unreasonable all he care about at that time was to marry her he never seem to care how his subject will react and he does the same things in 2001 and 2002 when put his children happiness before his duty. duty-first, self-second [QUOTE

Oh, I don't think so at all. Harald did put duty first, that's why he and Sonja waited 9 years for the approval of King Olav and the Storting before they married. And he never refused to do his duty and stay in line for the throne - I don't think there was ever any question of his giving up his succession rights - he just told his father that he wouldn't ever marry anyone else because he couldn't ever love any other woman as much as he loved Sonja. I think it's a beautiful love story, especially when you consider how great their love must have been to have lasted so long with no guarantee of ever being allowed to marry.

Royal historian.
You seem to live in the 1800 and 1900 century, when arranged marriages were accepted and maybe even required, but that is not the way we live anymore and we don't want to go back to these days.
Yes princes and princesses where forced to marry for political reasons, to build alliances and to prevent wars. But the so called royal marriages had a personal very high cost in form of very unhappy lives. The royal couple would have to produce a couple of kids and then they didn't have to see each other except for officiel reasons.
At least the prince/king would have a mistress with whom he would produce a number of kids (for the taxpayers to support).
As a scandinavian I am proud of our royal families (read: princses and princesses). They stick up for them self and insist of beeing happy - in other words, we don't condone arranged marriages in any shape or form.

A New Biography is to be written by Ingar Sletten Kolloen.

The Royal house has announced today that Ingar Sletten Kolloen is to be written a new biography about Her Majesty Queen Sonja. Is expected that this book will be published and the end of 2011.

kongehuset.no - Ny biografi om Dronningen

I'm assuming there won't be an English translation? :ermm:

Queen Sonja: The Early Royal Years (1968 - 1978)

Call me nostalgic, but considering the bad press surrounding royal wives of recent note (i.e. Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg, Crown Princess Masako of Japan and the lamented Diana, Princess of Wales), I was just wondering how Queen Sonja handled herself in the early years as the sole female member in her new family. She appears to be doing remarkable well and her reign as royal consort is admirable. However, given the aforementioned list of examples of how a royal fairytale can go terribly wrong, i just wanted to be certain.

I did a little research and discovered that she suffered two miscarriages in the early 70s and that initially, she was an unwelcomed intruder into the royal palace. I would be so appreciative to anyone who could provide me with information on how she handled herself. Did she suffer depression? Was her husband unfaithful? Did she endure ridicule from the palace help?

I was just wondering how Queen Sonja handled herself in the early years as the sole female member in her new family.
Sonja once admitted that it was quite hard in the beginning. She sort of married into a "male" family. ;) She once said that the Royal Court didn't really know about the needs of a femala Royal at all. ... since there wasn't a female consort in the palace since Märtha's death...

The Crown Prince said:
I did a little research and discovered that she suffered two miscarriages in the early 70s and that initially, she was an unwelcomed intruder into the royal palace. I would be so appreciative to anyone who could provide me with information on how she handled herself. Did she suffer depression? Was her husband unfaithful?
I don't know if she suffered from depressions (there are rumors... because of the misscarriages and everything... but which woman wouldn't react like this after such a hard time...) and I never heard about Harald being unfaithful...

Yes, I've heard rumors about depression as well, both during the long period when she and Harald couldn't marry as well as the early years when she wasn't able to have children. Completely understandable in both situations...9 years is an incredibly long time. And her first couple years as Crown Princess certainly had to be very difficult - Harald was the only heir to the Norwegian throne, and if he and Sonja didn't have any children, there was no one to inherit after him (his sisters and their kids weren't in the line of succession because women couldn't inherit at that time). So the future of the monarchy was in essence hanging on Sonja, and I can't imagine the pressure that must have been on her to produce a male heir.

It's also true that she married into a male-dominated royal house as Harald's mom was already dead, and she's said this was difficult. Then-Crown Princess Margrethe of Denmark was apparently a great source of support to her at the time - they became great friends before Harald and Sonja married and still talk on the phone nearly everyday. Sonja has said before that she doesn't think she would have made it through the nine years of waiting without Margrethe.

Oh, and this is one couple that's never had any rumors of infidelity.

Call me nostalgic, but considering the bad press surrounding royal wives of recent note (i.e. Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg, Crown Princess Masako of Japan and the lamented Diana, Princess of Wales), I was just wondering how Queen Sonja handled herself in the early years as the sole female member in her new family. She appears to be doing remarkable well and her reign as royal consort is admirable. However, given the aforementioned list of examples of how a royal fairytale can go terribly wrong, i just wanted to be certain.

I did a little research and discovered that she suffered two miscarriages in the early 70s and that initially, she was an unwelcomed intruder into the royal palace. I would be so appreciative to anyone who could provide me with information on how she handled herself. Did she suffer depression? Was her husband unfaithful? Did she endure ridicule from the palace help?
It was more a matter of the court begin extremely male dominated, since CP Märtha's death, and set in its ways, not that Sonja was necessarily the only female member of the family. Even if Princess Astrid had stepped in as the first lady in that period, she was also setting up her own household, was accustomed to the structure as it was and so on.

During her education in Switzerland as a 17 year old, she really did not feel at home, in the beginning, and wrote home complaining about it. Her father wrote back that "if you have set your mind on something, you will be very disappointed if you don't complete it." (Kronprinsesse Sonja, p. 37) and that's definitely something that marked her entrance in the royal family.

One of the things about the Queen is that she is extremely focused and detail oriented, to the point where it has taken playing with grandchildren to mellow the overly perfectionist image she has in the eyes of Norwegians.

I think that the one thing she focused on was to further her education. She took, what today amounts to, a bachelor's degree at the University of Oslo, studied French in France, collected art and started on her walking trips.

Of course, the media storm around Mette-Marit's entry into the family brought back a lot of the memories from the 9 year long wait, so she had a bit of an emotional set-back during that time.

During her education in Switzerland as a 17 year old, she really did not feel at home, in the beginning, and wrote home complaining about it. Her father wrote back that "if you have set your mind on something, you will be very disappointed if you don't complete it." (Kronprinsesse Sonja, p. 37)

That's a very revealing quote, Norwegianne. As someone who only speaks English, I always appreciate it when members post translations of this kind of stuff, so thanks. :flowers:

Of course, the media storm around Mette-Marit's entry into the family brought back a lot of the memories from the 9 year long wait, so she had a bit of an emotional set-back during that time.

What do you mean? Did she discuss this in an interview somewhere?

One thing I've always wondered about is Princess Astrid's role in everything and her relationship with her sister-in-law. It's always presented as though Sonja were the only woman in the royal house because Crown Princess Martha had died years ago, but as Norwegianne pointed out that isn't the case, Astrid was there as well. She had been acting as First Lady from her mother's death in 1954 to Harald and Sonja's marriage and I always thought she continued to have royal duties for awhile thereafter. Was Sonja able to get any help/support from her? Did they get along or even spend much time together?

Does anyone know of any biographies that can be bought in english on Sonja? Thank You!!

Back
Top Bottom