The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Japan is a parliamentary and constitutional democracy and the Emperor himself has little say in this. The fact that the current Emperor needs an adaptation of the law to abdicate illustrates this: he needs the Government and Parliament, simply do lay down his imperial prerogatives.

The same happened in Spain. When Don Juan Carlos wanted to abdicate, first the Spanish Government had to initiate an Act, to be approved with qualified majority by both the Chamber as well the Senate, simply to make an abdication possible. More or less the same seems happening now.
i know what u mean but i was saying that he will definitely ask the Government and Parliament to rethink about making the succession to the throne based on Absolute primogeniture or at least changing the rule about princesses who marry commoners . or to sum it up there will be changes in naruhito reign more likely drastic changes.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Is he abdicating in the coming year?

It makes no sense to me that he should be abdicating over the coming years. Considering his age (and perhaps health) nature may overtake him.

Well, the lid is off abdication-wise. I didn't expect that to happen in Japan of all places.
It also makes me wonder who is next to abdicate.
I believe that this is being released to prepare the nation for the possibility though I agree with you Muhler that his death at his age wouldn't be unexpected. Actually this doesn't surprise me considering that this couple has been known for their attempts to modernize the institution over the decades. With more than a few of his peers choosing to abdicate, he might believe that this is an acceptable alternative to ruling for a lifetime.

Also this would signal that he believes Nahurito and even Masako are ready to assume their future roles.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Nobility

The reason for the announcement is that the law must be revised.

Quote:
But the succession would need a revision to the Imperial House Law as it does not envisage abdication, another government source said.

The process of revising the law, involving deliberations by an expert panel to the government, is expected to require a few years.
Japan's Emperor Akihito eyeing abdication: government source | Kyodo News
Old 07-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Administrator

A couple of off-topic posts have been removed. Please stay on topic of this thread - thank you!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wow, this very surprising to me, he'd be about the last monarch i'd expect to abdicate (even after the Queen)

But especially it his health (and of the Empress) is not that good, i hope that the neccary chamges to the law can be made by the government
Old 07-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Fumihito is a given name of Prince Akishino:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumihito,_Prince_Akishino
Ahhhh, that explains it. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if he can stay Emperor but just let Naruhito do all the work. Sorry to say but Masako isn't a good candidate to make Empress.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-13-2016, 12:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I believe that this is being released to prepare the nation for the possibility though I agree with you Muhler that his death at his age wouldn't be unexpected. Actually this doesn't surprise me considering that this couple has been known for their attempts to modernize the institution over the decades. With more than a few of his peers choosing to abdicate, he might believe that this is an acceptable alternative to ruling for a lifetime.

Also this would signal that he believes Nahurito and even Masako are ready to assume their future roles.
Indeed.
And the Imperial Court really needs to modernized, from what Chiara told us!
Old 07-13-2016, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Indeed.
And the Imperial Court really needs to modernized, from what Chiara told us!
Is Chiara still around? In the past I read a lot of interesting posts by her about the Japanese Family and the Crownprincess' health problems.
I look forward to read her opinions about this new situation, if she is still here.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well there's a bolt out from the blue ,I'd never have envisaged a Japanese abdication.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness

No one expected. If the Emperor abdicate will be a surprise.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Come on people, that remark about the UK monarch was a joke, it wasn't implied that she would have to say something to the Japanese monarch or that he would have to care about anything she said, but she has such strong feelings about abdications and is well known for it (especially on royal forums such as these), that it's no surprise that someone makes a little joke about it...

ok, back to topic, this post will destruct itself in 5..4..3..

Whatever her thoughts on the issue are again who cares. I just get irritated by what the British are doing seeping into discussions about other Royal Houses. Its the same when someone always brings up Diana when Will or Kate are being discussed. The Imperial house of Japan is older, and is a different system and apparently it's a difficult job to do until death. I do recall his second son mentioning the need for the discussion and that apparently he and his wife having their son was to ease some of the strain on his father.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Whatever her thoughts on the issue are again who cares. I just get irritated by what the British are doing seeping into discussions about other Royal Houses. Its the same when someone always brings up Diana when Will or Kate are being discussed. The Imperial house of Japan is older, and is a different system and apparently it's a difficult job to do until death. I do recall his second son mentioning the need for the discussion and that apparently he and his wife having their son was to ease some of the strain on his father.
Yes, I wrote about this earlier today. And although I was very surprised, I will not say that I was shocked.

I used google to translate some Japanese articles and talked to a friend who speaks Japanese. And many experts are critical, so nothing is certain. The Imperial Household Agency leaked this to creat a national debate. I've for one think/hope he will die as Emperor.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Well there's a bolt out from the blue ,I'd never have envisaged a Japanese abdication.
Or a Pope. Or the King of Spain. As we all break records in reaching high ages, it is only natural that this happens. Look at someone like Princess Beatrix. No one would say it when seeing her in good spirits and full of energy, but when she abdicated, she was the eldest ever head of state the Netherlands ever had...

People grow older as never before. Pope Benedictus was immensely frail but is still around. So are King Albert, King Juan Carlos. Apparently all of them thoughr it was better to hand over to a younger generation. A honourable decision. All of them, the Emperor, the Kings, the Queen, the Pope, the Grand-Duke: all their abdications seem have rejuvenated their monarchies. The Japanese will understand. Like the Catholics understood. Or the Belgians. Etc.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Nobility

I'll believe this when I actually see it. It would not surprise me in the least if this were to never happen.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've read a updated Japanese article - which says that the Emperor hope to abdicate within a few years, if he not have the strength to continue with his duties.

I'm quite confused, because the media is saying different things. I also read that the Agency will send out a statement (instead of a speech by the Emperor) in which he would says that he is going to abdicate within few years due to old age.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I used google to translate some Japanese articles and talked to a friend who speaks Japanese. And many experts are critical, so nothing is certain. The Imperial Household Agency leaked this to creat a national debate. I've for one think/hope he will die as Emperor.
Imperial Household Agency denies NHK report on Emperor wanting to abdicate - Asahi 宮内庁次長は全面否定「報道の事実一切ない」生前退位 https://t.co/clmSnxLJeC !??
— Hiroko Tabuchi (@HirokoTabuchi) July 13, 2016
@WvanCleef @nhk_news @asahi Not a "no comment"; Asahi quoted Kunaicho official as saying no truth in NHK report, E doesn't intend to abdicate
Quote:
"His Majesty has not spoken of abdicating to persons connected with the Imperial Household Agency," Vice Grand Steward Shinichiro Yamamoto told reporters Wednesday night, adding that the emperor would not discuss such matters with aides.

Japan's emperor intends to abdicate: sources- Nikkei Asian Review
Old 07-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I really don't beleive it... due to the sanctity of his role
Old 07-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Imperial Household Agency denies NHK report on Emperor wanting to abdicate - Asahi 宮内庁次長は全面否定「報道の事実一切ない」生前退位 https://t.co/clmSnxLJeC !??
@WvanCleef @nhk_news @asahi Not a "no comment"; Asahi quoted Kunaicho official as saying no truth in NHK report, E doesn't intend to abdicate
As I said above: I'm quite confused, because the media is saying different things. I also read that a government source said that they will not allow it to happen.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
In Japan, nearly half of the 124 Emperors before the current Emperor's father, Emperor Showa, abdicated in such a manner.

But after the Meiji era, which was 3 periods before the current Heisei era, the system of abdication ended. An abdication has not taken place for about 200 years.
Emperor mulls abdication while still alive - News - NHK WORLD - English

Quote:
The last emperor to do so, however, was Emperor Kokaku, who was on the throne from 1780 to 1817 during the late Edo Period.
Emperor Akihito expresses intention to abdicate: gov't source - The Mainichi