Emperor Akihito and his abdication

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this in any way credible?

I work for Reuters news and we have a rumor on our feed that he's considering retiring in the next few years.

Last edited:
Is he abdicating in the coming year?

It makes no sense to me that he should be abdicating over the coming years. Considering his age (and perhaps health) nature may overtake him.

Well, the lid is off abdication-wise. I didn't expect that to happen in Japan of all places.
It also makes me wonder who is next to abdicate.

Emperor considers abdication - News - NHK WORLD - English
Emperor considers abdication

NHK has learned that Emperor Akihito has been telling close aides that he wants to abdicate within the next few years and pass the throne to the Crown Prince.

The Emperor is 82 years old. Sources say that he wants to step down before he is too frail to carry out his duties fully.
And they say he has already informed his family members.

Sources say the Imperial Household agency is planning an occasion for the Emperor to address the public.

I'm in shock :/
I thought Emperor will rule to death.
However, everyone need a rest.

I've just read that it will take a change in the Japanese legislation for the Emperor to abdicate, because there is no legislation currently that cover an abdication.
Now it makes more sense that a fixed date cannot be stated yet.

Perhaps they'll have a look at the law of succession at the same time? So that women can remain in line for the throne if they marry, or happens to be the first born.
It's long overdue, the imperial family is running out of heirs.

It's been 200 years since the last abdication, and back then the country was run by a Shogun.

I've said earlier on this forum that it is not going to be an abdication in Japan, so I'm a bit surprised, but not shocked. There have been rumors for years, and the Emperor's youngest son said this in 2011:
Prince Voices the Unthinkable: Retirement for Emperors - Japan Real Time - WSJ
Prince Akishino, second in line to the throne, said that the country should consider implementing a mandatory retirement age for the emperor, making the remark as his father wrestled with a mild bout of pneumonia for over two weeks in the hospital. The 77-year-old emperor was discharged a few days later and resumed his official duties earlier this week.

In response to a question during a press briefing last week ahead of his 46th birthday last week, the prince said “discussions should be held including at what age to draw the line.” Prince Akishino observed that “once a person reaches a certain age, it gradually becomes harder for people to do various things.”

Last edited:
Newssites on fb write about a third son Fumihito. Never heard of him before.
"They went on to have three children, Naruhito, Crown Prince of Japan (born 1960), Fumihito, Prince Akishino (born 1965) and Mrs. Sayako Kuroda (born 1969, formerly known as The Princess Nori)."
Now according to my calculations that is *four* children and not three. So the article could be wrong about that third son.
http://royalcentral.co.uk/international/emperor-akihito-announces-he-plans-to-abdicate-62329

According Dutch media (the Japan correspondent of the NOS, the Dutch equivalent of the BBC) the increasing fraility of the Empress plays a role too. It is not the Emperor alone. Akihito seems to aim to relieve his spouse from the pressure and demanding regime and protocol at the Court.

Last edited:
I'm shocked :eek:. I wonder what Queen Elizabeth II would say about this. :lol:

But I'm sure the Crown Prince is more than ready to take over. I just hope that becoming Empress will not worse the Crown Princess condition.

Last edited:
I'm shocked :eek:. I wonder what Queen Elizabeth II would say about this. :lol:

But I'm sure the Crown Prince is more than ready to take over. I just hope that becoming Empress will not worse the Crown Princess condition.

In her Reign she has seen Grand-Duchess Charlotte, Queen Juliana, Grand-Duke Jean, Pope Benedictus XVI, Queen Beatrix, King Albert II, King Juan Carlos and now maybe Emperor Akihito abdicating, as well Fürst Hans-Adam handing over his prerogatives. She will be used to it.

I am sure the new Emperor will be sure that the Empress will be treated with every possible precaution and care. There is difference in changing an office one has done for decades, or start completely new. Empress Masako has a total different starting point, with the Japanese aware of her condition than her mother-in-law ever had, trying to be the perfect Empress, convincing scepticism when she entered as the first commoner.

Last edited:
i think that there will be changes in the Imperial Household Agency in Naruhito reign as emperor no matter what i think he will never forget what The Imperial Household Agency had done to his wife and of course there will be changes in the way of the woman treatment in the imperial family at least he will not make his only daughter lose her title when she marry if he isn't gonna make her his successor .

... [snipped] I wonder what Queen Elizabeth II would say about this. :lol:
Is there any reason for Japanese Emperor to listen what Queen Elizabeth has to say about a possible abdication. She should focus on her own country as it may fall apart. I fail to understand why the British royals through their subjects and admirers trample every discussion.

Although I am puzzled by the news, I am sure that Emperor Akihito pondered this situation and consulted the IHA. The Japanese government and the IHA have to come up with an arrangement to address the crisis. Perhaps, regency would be viewed as possible solution.

Last edited:
Is there any reason for Japanese Emperor to listen what Queen Elizabeth has to say about a possible abdication. She should focus on her own country as it may fall apart.

I am shocked and saddened by the news. I am sure that Emperor Akihito pondered this situation and consulted the IHA. The Japanese government and the IHA have to come up with an arrangement to address the crisis. Perhaps regency would be viewed as possible solution.
The UK is not falling apart, and the Queen has focused on her own country for 64 years. And if she had said something (she will of course never do that) to Akihito, I'm sure he would have listened, because he is (as most head of states/governments) a big admirer of the Queen.

Japan's Emperor Akihito eyeing abdication: government source | Kyodo News

But the succession would need a revision to the Imperial House Law as it does not envisage abdication, another government source said.
The process of revising the law, involving deliberations by an expert panel to the government, is expected to require a few years.
Emperor mulls abdication while still alive - News - NHK WORLD - English

They say the Emperor told Agency officials that someone who can fully carry out the required duties of the national symbol as stipulated in the Constitution, should be in that position.

The informed sources say the Emperor does not want to remain in his position by significantly reducing his duties or asking other people to stand in for him.

One of the sources says that in the event of his announcement, as a national symbol the Emperor may avoid direct expressions. But the source says the announcement will be one that conveys his
feelings well.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/07/13/national/emperor-abdicate-within-years/

The [government] source said the Emperor has been speaking about his intentions to people close to him for at least a year. This does not mean, the source added, that the Emperor has any immediate health concerns.

“Someone who can fulfill those duties should take the position,” the Emperor told an Imperial Household Agency official, according to a report by NHK.

But Shinichiro Yamamoto, a senior official at the agency, denied such a report.

Last edited:
[...] at least he will not make his only daughter lose her title when she marry if he isn't gonna make her his successor .

Japan is a parliamentary and constitutional democracy and the Emperor himself has little say in this. The fact that the current Emperor needs an adaptation of the law to abdicate illustrates this: he needs the Government and Parliament, simply do lay down his imperial prerogatives.

The same happened in Spain. When Don Juan Carlos wanted to abdicate, first the Spanish Government had to initiate an Act, to be approved with qualified majority by both the Chamber as well the Senate, simply to make an abdication possible. More or less the same seems happening now.

Last edited:
Japan is a parliamentary and constitutional democracy and the Emperor himself has little say in this. The fact that the current Emperor needs an adaptation of the law to abdicate illustrates this: he needs the Government and Parliament, simply do lay down his imperial prerogatives.

The same happened in Spain. When Don Juan Carlos wanted to abdicate, first the Spanish Government had to initiate an Act, to be approved with qualified majority by both the Chamber as well the Senate, simply to make an abdication possible. More or less the same seems happening now.

i know what u mean but i was saying that he will definitely ask the Government and Parliament to rethink about making the succession to the throne based on Absolute primogeniture or at least changing the rule about princesses who marry commoners . or to sum it up there will be changes in naruhito reign more likely drastic changes.

Last edited:
Is he abdicating in the coming year?

It makes no sense to me that he should be abdicating over the coming years. Considering his age (and perhaps health) nature may overtake him.

Well, the lid is off abdication-wise. I didn't expect that to happen in Japan of all places.
It also makes me wonder who is next to abdicate.

I believe that this is being released to prepare the nation for the possibility though I agree with you Muhler that his death at his age wouldn't be unexpected. Actually this doesn't surprise me considering that this couple has been known for their attempts to modernize the institution over the decades. With more than a few of his peers choosing to abdicate, he might believe that this is an acceptable alternative to ruling for a lifetime.

Also this would signal that he believes Nahurito and even Masako are ready to assume their future roles.

A couple of off-topic posts have been removed. Please stay on topic of this thread - thank you!

Wow, this very surprising to me, he'd be about the last monarch i'd expect to abdicate (even after the Queen)

But especially it his health (and of the Empress) is not that good, i hope that the neccary chamges to the law can be made by the government

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if he can stay Emperor but just let Naruhito do all the work. Sorry to say but Masako isn't a good candidate to make Empress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that this is being released to prepare the nation for the possibility though I agree with you Muhler that his death at his age wouldn't be unexpected. Actually this doesn't surprise me considering that this couple has been known for their attempts to modernize the institution over the decades. With more than a few of his peers choosing to abdicate, he might believe that this is an acceptable alternative to ruling for a lifetime.

Also this would signal that he believes Nahurito and even Masako are ready to assume their future roles.

Indeed.
And the Imperial Court really needs to modernized, from what Chiara told us!

Indeed.
And the Imperial Court really needs to modernized, from what Chiara told us!

Is Chiara still around? In the past I read a lot of interesting posts by her about the Japanese Family and the Crownprincess' health problems.
I look forward to read her opinions about this new situation, if she is still here.

Well there's a bolt out from the blue ,I'd never have envisaged a Japanese abdication.

Back
Top Bottom