Emperor Akihito and his abdication

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had wondered how the issue of how to refer to and address Akihito and Michiko was going to be handled. I understand the thinking, but it does sound a little awkward to me, and I wonder, from a practical aspect, how often that title will be used in the Western press? I also don't think that it automatically implies admiration and respect, or even that the bearer of the title is retired. To me it sounds as though "emeritus" could imply that the former emperor is of higher status than Naruhito. Perhaps that's the intent. It just goes to show how tricky the issue of translating traditional titles into Western languages is for the Asian countries.

emeritus

adjective
adjective: emeritus

1. (of the former holder of an office, especially a university professor) having retired but allowed to retain their title as an honour.
    "emeritus professor of microbiology"

emeritus

adjective
adjective: emeritus

1. (of the former holder of an office, especially a university professor) having retired but allowed to retain their title as an honour.
    "emeritus professor of microbiology"

Yes, I'm familiar with the word.

:previous: I see.

As applied to the title of emperor, emeritus is an unusual usage. What exactly is meant by it is open to interpretation. The Japanese authorities have described what they intend, but, as with many things, words frequently have implications beyond or in addition to what is intended.

In addition, in some Asian cultures there was a tradition that an emperor "retired" and a new emperor was crowned, but the actual power remained in the hands of the "retired" emperor. The Japanese emperor has very little or no real power, except as a symbol, and Akihito has clearly stated that he wishes to be relieved of his duties, so on the face of it "emeritus" is a non standard but acceptable translation/description of "joko." But it potentially has an emotional load, so we'll see how that plays out.

Emeritus means "former", nothing more. And this title is for English-speaking public, not locals.

Emeritus means "former", nothing more. And this title is for English-speaking public, not locals.

That's not actually true. Almost all words have additional meanings, and that is certainly true of "emeritus" which has implications of status and experience, among others. That's why even words that are considered synonyms are frequently not interchangeable because there are subtle distinctions that skew the meaning.

However, that's an off-topic discussion. As pertains to this thread, my bottom line is that it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

We have an Emeritus Pope and no one is confused who THE Pope is. It is no big deal.

I had wondered how the issue of how to refer to and address Akihito and Michiko was going to be handled. I understand the thinking, but it does sound a little awkward to me, and I wonder, from a practical aspect, how often that title will be used in the Western press?

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me either if the Western press ignores the IHA's official translation and calls them "ex-emperor and ex-empress" or "retired emperor and empress" or simply continues to call them "Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko", in the same way that the Pope Emeritus is still called "Pope Benedict" in the press.

To me it sounds as though "emeritus" could imply that the former emperor is of higher status than Naruhito. Perhaps that's the intent. It just goes to show how tricky the issue of translating traditional titles into Western languages is for the Asian countries.

That's not actually true. Almost all words have additional meanings, and that is certainly true of "emeritus" which has implications of status and experience, among others. That's why even words that are considered synonyms are frequently not interchangeable because there are subtle distinctions that skew the meaning.

The IHA seems to perceive the implication of status and experience as a benefit of choosing "emeritus". I noticed from the quotes in post #644 that the IHA and Foreign Ministry began by studying the (English) titles used by overseas royal families, but apparently dismissed those options and chose a title that the vice grand steward claims has never been used in English (although it has). Their choice could be explained by his statement that "'emeritus' is used to express admiration and respect for the accumulation of experiences and achievements and 'suitable to refer to the joko who commands great respect after abdication'", since the more traditional English options of "Emperor Akihito" or "Emperor Father" do not sound (at least to me) as "respectful" as "Emperor Emeritus".

The "jo" in the real title, "joko", does imply a higher status than the current emperor to some extent. Many of the earlier English articles in the media translated it as "Grand Emperor". As the press reported, this was one motive for the government's original wish to come up with a new title for Akihito instead of the traditional "joko". (Personally, I'm pleased that they followed tradition in the end.)

:previous: Yes, I'm inclined to believe that "joko" in and of itself would have been have been perfectly acceptable. It's the layers and layers of meaning that I like and that seem appropriate in this situation, but I also understand why they went searching for a Western alternative.

Edited to add: Although I actually like the Emperor Father suggestion, but understand why that one was not ultimately chosen. It's definitely more Asian and less Western in tone.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, I'm inclined to believe that "joko" in and of itself would have been have been perfectly acceptable. It's the layers and layers of meaning that I like and that seem appropriate in this situation, but I also understand why they went searching for a Western alternative.

Agreed, translations generally can't communicate the layers of meaning found in traditional titles in any language. I suppose that after more than 100 years of using Western titles and honorifics to address the imperial family in English it would be considered too difficult to ask Westerners to learn the Japanese titles. The Western press would probably not be overly excited about learning the difference between naishinno, shinno-hi, joo, and o-hi when they have been calling all of them "princess" for centuries. :D

Edited to add: Although I actually like the Emperor Father suggestion, but understand why that one was not ultimately chosen. It's definitely more Asian and less Western in tone.

Do you think Emperor Father would sound Asian to Westerners? I actually thought that it would sound too European, as widows of European monarchs are often called Queen Mother, while the title of Akihito's mother was translated as Empress Dowager rather than Empress Mother.

Last edited:
Agreed, translations generally can't communicate the layers of meaning found in traditional titles in any language. I suppose that after more than 100 years of using Western titles and honorifics to address the imperial family in English it would be considered too difficult to ask Westerners to learn the Japanese titles. The Western press would probably not be overly excited about learning the difference between naishinno, shinno-hi, joo, and o-hi when they have been calling all of them "princess" for centuries. :D

Do you think Emperor Father would sound Asian to Westerners? I actually thought that it would sound too European, as widows of European monarchs are often called Queen Mother, while the title of Akihito's mother was translated as Empress Dowager rather than Empress Mother.

Yes, I think the nuances of naishinno, shinno-hi, joo, etc. would probably be a hard sell for the Western press, but wouldn't it be fun to watch them try! I personally regret that the Japanese don't use the correct, Japanese titles, and the rest of the world could just deal with it.

I do think Emperor Father would sound Asian, or at least odd, to Westerners. If I recall correctly, even the Queen Mother title used to address Queen Elizabeth was the focus of some discussion, but she preferred that to being referred to as the Dowager Queen, a more common form.

:previous:

They also confirm that Fumihito's title will be translated as Crown Prince. Kiko's will be translated as Crown Princess, I assume. However, I expect the foreign media will want to identify them by name and not just the titles The Crown Prince and The Crown Princess; from their perspective, Fumihito will be just one of a whole group of crown princes across the globe. Will the IHA and Foreign Ministry advise them to use "Crown Prince Akishino/Crown Princess Akishino" or "Crown Prince Fumihito/Crown Princess Kiko"?

The second one would seem more normal to me as an English speaker. The British Prince of Wales is called "Prince Charles", not "Prince Wales" or "Prince Mountbatten-Windsor", by the foreign media.

https://www.tokyoreview.net/2019/01/whats-in-an-era-name/

I think he will be referred to as Crown Prince Fumihito and his wife as Crown Princess Kiko the same it with the present Crown Princely Couple.

As Akishino is his Princely Title given to him. Otherwise it would Crown Prince Prince Akishino.

I think he will be referred to as Crown Prince Fumihito and his wife as Crown Princess Kiko the same it with the present Crown Princely Couple.

As Akishino is his Princely Title given to him. Otherwise it would Crown Prince Prince Akishino.

I am surprised Fumihito’s title will be translated as Crown Prince since, as we discussed before, Crown Prince normally applies only to an heir apparent and not to an heir presumptive.

I am surprised Fumihito’s title will be translated as Crown Prince since, as we discussed before, Crown Prince normally applies only to an heir apparent and not to an heir presumptive.
As i understand it is only the english translation but the original Title is a different on then the one used for the Crown Prince.

As i understand it is only the english translation but the original Title is a different on then the one used for the Crown Prince.

According to the Imperial House Law, an heir who is the son of the emperor is called kotaishi [皇太子], which, if I'm not mistaken, could be more directly translated as "grand imperial child".

It also says an heir who is the grandson of the emperor is called kotaison [皇太孫], which could be translated as "grand imperial grandchild", I think.

As the Imperial House Law does not apply a title to an heir who is not the son or grandson of an emperor, Fumihito's future title had to be stated in the abdication law. The panel considered both kotaishi and kotaitei [皇太弟], which I think could be translated "grand imperial younger brother", but it ultimately chose koshi [皇嗣], which is sometimes translated as "imperial heir".

In my opinion, I think Crown Prince is the best English translation for all of these titles.

I agree that "Crown Prince Fumihito" and "Crown Princess Kiko" would be more appropriate, but I wondered what the Western press would do because there are times when Westerners use "Akishino" as if it is Fumihito's given name. I personally would consider "Akishino" to be akin to a surname and not a title, although the "Akishino no miya" could be called a title.

I do think Emperor Father would sound Asian, or at least odd, to Westerners. If I recall correctly, even the Queen Mother title used to address Queen Elizabeth was the focus of some discussion, but she preferred that to being referred to as the Dowager Queen, a more common form.

Interesting! Queen Mother was used in many of the southern European monarchies, so I didn't realize it sounded odd to Britons before Queen Elizabeth accustomed them to it.

Edit:

It seems the IHA believed that this translation would make Fumihito's position the clearest to people abroad, and I think that is probably true.

Sources close to the Imperial Household Agency say that the agency is considering translating "koshi" in English as "Crown Prince" to make it clear both in Japan and abroad that Prince Akishino will be the next Emperor.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180430/p2a/00m/0na/020000c

Last edited:
It seems the IHA believed that this translation would make Fumihito's position the clearest to people abroad, and I think that is probably true.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180430/p2a/00m/0na/020000c

But what if for some reason Naruhito will become father of a son. One never knows Masako could pass aways and her remarry. And also what if when Naruhito becomes as old as the males uin the Famuily usually do and remains Emperior. if he passes with 95 or so will he then succeeced by his 5 years younger brother. better would be if he would in such a case succeeded by Hisahito.

If Naruhito has a son, then the son will become "Kotashi" (Crown Prince) and Fumihito will probably automatically lose the "Koshi" title and revert to Prince Akishino.

I remember Japanese media reported "Koshi" would be translated as Crown Prince last year or earlier. Even now, whenever Fumihito's new status/title is mentioned in Japanese reports, they stress he'll be "first in succession."

On February 25th, the IHA and Prime Minister's Office released a schedule and English titles/words for the ceremonies, locations, and positions.

Ceremonies and Rites related to the Imperial Succession:
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/kunaicho/koho/kohyo/pdf/syogishiki-j-e.pdf

English Titles and Basic Words relating to the Imperial Succession:
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/kunaicho/koho/kohyo/pdf/kihonyogo-j-e.pdf

PM's office releases:
http://japan.kantei.go.jp/ongoingtopics/pdf/BasicWords.pdf
https://japan.kantei.go.jp/ongoingtopics/pdf/Details.pdf

Last edited:
Candidates for new era name narrowed down - News - NHK WORLD - English
NHK has learned that about a dozen names remain on the list of possibilities for the country's new era, or Gengo.

[...]

Sources close to the government told NHK that the possibilities were chosen from a list of several tens of names proposed by literary and other scholars.

Previous era names were based on confirmed terms in classical Chinese literature. But the sources say the current candidates include one traceable to a classical Japanese work.

[...]

The government is also setting up a panel for the formal selection of the new name. It reportedly plans to increase the number of women on the eight-member panel.

[...]
Busy preparing for a new era name - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...] Tokyo IT firm Webrage has developed software that can scan digital files and automatically find where changes are needed. It has provided the service for its clients since last November.

[...]

Webrage official Masayuki Kitano says the firm plans to support clients ahead of time, as human error is bound to occur. The firm expects more requests for help after the new name is announced.

A rubber stamp vendor is offering help in a more analog way. Nihon Horei has been accepting orders for stamps to correct the era name since around mid-2018.

The firm says inquiries about the stamps began increasing in February, and nearly 40 orders were placed on Friday morning alone. It says it expects more orders after April 1.

Nihon Horei official Yoshihisa Iida says he heard that the firm was busy with a flood of orders for several months 30 years ago, the last time the era name changed. [...]
Japan draws up measures to help public cope with 10-day closures during Golden Week holiday | The Japan Times
[...] The government plans to call for the introduction of additional subsidies for child care facilities to offer extra holiday services, in addition to requesting that prefectural governments inform the public about hospitals and clinics that will be open during the period.

Municipal authorities will be asked to provide information on whether or not they will collect garbage during the holidays, while power, gas and water suppliers will be urged to secure stable services, and banks will be requested to boost manpower on weekdays before and after the holiday period.

[...] The government will also advise elementary and junior high schools to hold additional classes during summer and other extended breaks, if necessary.
Next era name might draw from classical Japanese literature: sources | The Japan Times
[...] Possible names for the new era proposed by experts in fields such as Chinese literature, Asian history and Japanese literature have already been presented to the Cabinet Secretariat and are being closely managed by Assistant Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Kazuyuki Furuya.

[...]

The government will hear opinions from an expert panel as well as the speakers and vice speakers of both chambers of the Diet before the Cabinet adopts the new name.

[...]

The government plans to appoint several women as members, the sources said.

A similar advisory panel formed at the time of the 1989 era name change from Showa to the current Heisei had eight members, mainly from mass media and academia. It had only one female member, Yoko Nuita, then the president of the predecessor of the National Women’s Education Center.

[...]

Last edited:
New Japanese emperor to conduct public greeting earlier than planned - The Mainichi
The Japanese public will have the chance to meet the new emperor on May 4 [...]

The Imperial Household Agency had planned to allow commoners to make congratulatory visits to the Imperial Palace after "Sokuirei Seiden no Gi", a ceremony on Oct. 22 to proclaim the enthronement.

But it decided to bring this forward given Japan's traditional Golden Week holiday -- starting April 27 -- is this year extended to 10 days [...]

During the event, the emperor and the empress appear on a palace balcony along with other members of the imperial family.

While the agency is still considering which members will join the event, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko [...] are not expected to attend.

[...]

Emperor Akihito received his first congratulatory visit on Nov. 18, 1990 [...] On that occasion, he appeared eight times and offered greetings to well-wishers. [...]
Prime minister to show Crown Prince Naruhito options for new Japanese era name | The Japan Times
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe later this month plans to show Crown Prince Naruhito multiple names, one of which might be chosen and used when a new Imperial era begins on May 1, government sources said Saturday.

However, Abe will not seek any comment from the Crown Prince [...] to make it clear that the government alone is responsible for selecting the new era name, the sources said.

[...]

Whether the Crown Prince will be informed of the candidate names in advance will not be disclosed, according to the sources.

[...]

Emperor Akihito, accompanied by Empress Michiko, will visit the mausoleum of Emperor Showa (Hirohito) on April 23rd to report his abdication. Visits to the mausoleums of Emperors Komei, Meiji, and Taisho are planned after abdication.
Source: Sankei

Nobutake Odano (71) current grand master of Crown Prince Naruhito's household, will become grand chamberlain to the new Emperor and Empress.

Mr. Odano is a Keio University graduate, worked for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 1970-2012, and served as ambassador to Myanmar and then the European Union. He joined the IHA in September 2012 as Grand Master of Ceremonies and was appointed to lead the Crown Prince's household in May 2016. In addition, Mr. Odano has advisory roles at Kintetsu Group Holdings and Otsuka Pharmaceutical.

Chikao Kawai (66) current grand chamberlain to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, will continue as grand chamberlain to the new Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita.

Mr. Kawai graduated from Hitotsubashi University, worked for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1975-2013), serving the Southeast Asia, Asian Affairs, and North American departments with a stint as special envoy to the United States in 2001. He joined the IHA in September 2014 and become grand chamberlain to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko in May 2015. Other roles include advisory positions at Ito En, Ltd and the Foreign Ministry.

Takaharu Kachi (66) current director of the Imperial branch households, will become grand master of the new Crown Prince household. I didn't find much info on him except he announced Prince Mikasa's death in 2016 and Princess Ayako's engagement in 2018.

Sources: Jiji
Odano Eyed as Grand Chamberlain to New Emperor, Empress | Nippon.com
Odano Nobutake - Japan Wikipedia
Kawai Chikao - Japan Wikipedia

On March 11th, the IHA announced the official way to refer to Prince Akishino and family in Japanese. I don't know the exact English translation so here's my best guess:

秋篠宮皇嗣殿下 -> Akishinonomiya koshi denka -> His Imperial Highness Crown Prince Akishino
Addressing him as 秋篠宮殿下 "Akishino no miya denka" or 皇嗣殿下 "Koshi-denka" are accepted.

秋篠宮皇嗣同妃両殿下 -> Akishinonomiya koshi dohi ryō denka -> Their Imperial Highnesses Crown Prince and Princess Akishino

秋篠宮皇嗣妃殿下 -> Akishinonomiya kōshi hi denka -> Her Imperial Highness Crown Princess Akishino

No changes to Mako, Kako, and Hisahito; they still use 秋篠宮 Akishino-no-miya.

The house and residence remain 秋篠宮家 Akishino-no-miya House and 秋篠宮邸 Akishino-no-miya Residence (aka Prince Akishino Residence)

Source: Jiji

-----------------------------------------
I rarely hear "denka" in news clips so I assume media will call Prince Akishino "Koshi-sama" and the rest of the family: Koshi + Akishino-no-miya + Kiko-sama, Mako-sama, Kako-sama, and Hisahito-sama.

Last edited:
Nobutake Odano (71) current grand master of Crown Prince Naruhito's household, will become grand chamberlain to the new Emperor and Empress.

Mr. Odano is a Keio University graduate, worked for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 1970-2012, and served as ambassador to Myanmar and then the European Union. He joined the IHA in September 2012 as Grand Master of Ceremonies and was appointed to lead the Crown Prince's household in May 2016. In addition, Mr. Odano has advisory roles at Kintetsu Group Holdings and Otsuka Pharmaceutical.

Chikao Kawai (66) current grand chamberlain to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, will continue as grand chamberlain to the new Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita.

Mr. Kawai graduated from Hitotsubashi University, worked for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1975-2013), serving the Southeast Asia, Asian Affairs, and North American departments with a stint as special envoy to the United States in 2001. He joined the IHA in September 2014 and become grand chamberlain to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko in May 2015. Other roles include advisory positions at Ito En, Ltd and the Foreign Ministry.

Takaharu Kachi (66) current director of the Imperial branch households, will become grand master of the new Crown Prince household. I didn't find much info on him except he announced Prince Mikasa's death in 2016 and Princess Ayako's engagement in 2018.

Sources: Jiji
Odano Eyed as Grand Chamberlain to New Emperor, Empress | Nippon.com
Odano Nobutake - Japan Wikipedia
Kawai Chikao - Japan Wikipedia

Thank you for this information. The IHA appears to be capable of attracting highly experienced civil servants, and retaining the top officials of their households will certainly promote stability at a fast-moving time for the family.

I am surprised that leading IHA officials are permitted any roles in the corporate environment or the foreign ministry, in view to the economic and political neutrality which the monarchy requires.

On March 11th, the IHA announced the official way to refer to Prince Akishino and family in Japanese. I don't know the exact English translation so here's my best guess:

秋篠宮皇嗣殿下 -> Akishinonomiya koshi denka -> His Imperial Highness Crown Prince Akishino
Addressing him as 秋篠宮殿下 "Akishino no miya denka" or 皇嗣殿下 "Koshi-denka" are accepted.

秋篠宮皇嗣同妃両殿下 -> Akishinonomiya koshi dohi ryō denka -> Their Imperial Highnesses Crown Prince and Princess Akishino

秋篠宮皇嗣妃殿下 -> Akishinonomiya kōshi hi denka -> Her Imperial Highness Crown Princess Akishino

No changes to Mako, Kako, and Hisahito; they still use 秋篠宮 Akishino-no-miya.

The house and residence remain 秋篠宮家 Akishino-no-miya House and 秋篠宮邸 Akishino-no-miya Residence (aka Prince Akishino Residence)

-----------------------------------------
I rarely hear "denka" in news clips so I assume media will call Prince Akishino "Koshi-sama" and the rest of the family: Koshi + Akishino-no-miya + Kiko-sama, Mako-sama, Kako-sama, and Hisahito-sama.

Wouldn't the constant use of the Akishino name make out the family to be a cadet branch still? Or perhaps that is the IHA's intention. But I am sure you will be right as to the actual practices of the media.

Candidates for new era name narrowed down - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...]
The government is also setting up a panel for the formal selection of the new name. It reportedly plans to increase the number of women on the eight-member panel.

I don't understand this aspect of the government's plans; is it not a bit inconsistent to lay stress on the increased number of women on the imperial era name panel while strongly opposing female equality in the actual imperial family?

Busy preparing for a new era name - News - NHK WORLD - English

[...] Tokyo IT firm Webrage has developed software that can scan digital files and automatically find where changes are needed. It has provided the service for its clients since last November.

[...]

Webrage official Masayuki Kitano says the firm plans to support clients ahead of time, as human error is bound to occur. The firm expects more requests for help after the new name is announced.

A rubber stamp vendor is offering help in a more analog way. Nihon Horei has been accepting orders for stamps to correct the era name since around mid-2018.

The firm says inquiries about the stamps began increasing in February, and nearly 40 orders were placed on Friday morning alone. It says it expects more orders after April 1.

Nihon Horei official Yoshihisa Iida says he heard that the firm was busy with a flood of orders for several months 30 years ago, the last time the era name changed. [...]

Happy to hear that imaginative members of the public have innovated solutions (one wonders if the anti-announcement group even considered them...)

Hopefully the government will be able to lighten the burden of those who will struggle with ten days without work or services, but considering the government's plans apparently rely on simple requests and advice, I wonder how effectual they can be.

Thank you for this information. The IHA appears to be capable of attracting highly experienced civil servants, and retaining the top officials of their households will certainly promote stability at a fast-moving time for the family.

I am surprised that leading IHA officials are permitted any roles in the corporate environment or the foreign ministry, in view to the economic and political neutrality which the monarchy requires.
You're welcome! I'm glad staff will move with their current households. I'm weary of additional upheaval on CP Masako's condition. There's enough change with more staff, moving to the Imperial Residence, and new role. Perhaps the connection to the Foreign Ministry helps Masako (although it could easily be a discomfort as that's the career she gave up... I'm not sure)
Wouldn't the constant use of the Akishino name make out the family to be a cadet branch still? Or perhaps that is the IHA's intention. But I am sure you will be right as to the actual practices of the media.
The government or IHA always intended to keep the Akishino name as it's existed for nearly 30 years and people are familiar with it. I can't remember where I read it; probably some pages back in this thread. The "Koshi" title clarifies Prince Akishino's first-in-succession position...which is mentioned so often, I'd be amazed if any Japanese doesn't know about it by now.
I don't understand this aspect of the government's plans; is it not a bit inconsistent to lay stress on the increased number of women on the imperial era name panel while strongly opposing female equality in the actual imperial family?
Heh. Selective feminism. Japan's government website has a section for women's empowerment although in practice, it's quantity over quality. Yes, there are more women in the workforce but not at the managerial/executive levels or in politics. Japan has faced multiple scandals recently on gender equality and discrimination.
Hopefully the government will be able to lighten the burden of those who will struggle with ten days without work or services, but considering the government's plans apparently rely on simple requests and advice, I wonder how effectual they can be.
I hope so too. The government needs solutions and fast. :ermm:

On March 15th, Sayako Kuroda participated in the Jingu-ni-Hohei-no-gi at Ise Grand Shrine in Mie Prefecture. The Imperial Envoy reported Emperor Akihito's abdication, its date, and made offerings.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1sFq6IVYAA9cuW.jpg
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2019/03/15/20190315k0000m040227000p/9.jpg

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko will visit Mie Prefecture April 17-19 to report the abdication at Ise Grand Shrine. Agenda:
4/17 - arrive in Ise, Mie. Stay in inner shrine.
4/18 - report abdication, worship at outer shrine in the morning and inner shrine in the afternoon. Travel to Kashiko Island in Shima city
4/19 - return to Tokyo

Source: Sankei

195 nations to be invited to enthronement ceremony - News - NHK WORLD - English
Japan's government has decided to invite heads of state and representatives from 195 nations to the new Emperor's enthronement ceremony in October.

[...]

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his wife will host a separate banquet on October 23. Kyogen play actor Nomura Mansai will serve as advisor for the party's attractions. He is tasked with presenting Japan's traditional performing arts in a way that is both understandable and enjoyable for the international guests.

[...]
Japan to invite guests from 195 nations for enthronement events - Kyodo News
[...] On the morning of May 1, the new emperor will inherit traditional regalia such as the sacred sword and jewels as proof of ascension to the throne in the "Kenji to Shokei no gi" ceremony.

[...]

Male guests at both rituals are supposed to wear tailcoats but in the "Taiirei Seiden no gi" farewell ceremony to mark the emperor's abdication on April 30, the dress code for them will be morning coats, while female guests will be asked to wear long dresses, the government said.

As an alternative choice, attendants can also wear formal kimono, it added.
Proposer of New Era's Name to Be Kept Secret for Time Being | Nippon.com
[...]

The government will not accept freedom-of-information requests to disclose documents mentioning the scholar's name or the era-name selection process for the time being, the sources said. It will also ask the scholar to keep silent on the matter.

[...]

On April 1, the government is set to announce the name of the new era, which will start on May 1 in line with Crown Prince Naruhito's accession to the throne the same day.

The name of the ending era, Heisei, which started in January 1989, was picked from three final choices, also including Shubun and Seika. None of their sponsors have been officially identified.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will meet Crown Prince Naruhito on March 29th to explain how the new era name will be communicated and details on 4/30-5/1 succession ceremonies. Conservatives are upset the era name will be decided before the Crown Prince becomes emperor.

No stone left unturned to prevent leak of new era name:The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

Officials involved in a series of procedures, including several meetings, to be taken April 1 to select and approve the new era name [...] will be required to hand over their mobile phones beforehand.

[...]

Participants at the meetings will not be allowed to leave the venue until all the procedures have been followed, so as to prevent a leak to news media.

The government is also considering putting a block on radio frequencies as an added precaution.

[...]

When the last procedures were taken on Jan. 7, 1989, the new era name Heisei was publicly announced by the chief Cabinet secretary about 90 minutes after the first meeting started.

But on this occasion, government officials envisage up to two hours and 20 minutes may be needed. The extended duration is intended to avert criticism that the era name had been already picked and the meeting was summoned simply to rubberstamp it.

[...]

But the longer it takes until the official announcement, the greater the risk of the name being leaked.

It is now journalistic lore that The Mainichi Shimbun newspaper learned that the current era would be called Heisei some 30 minutes prior to the official announcement.

The government has tried to mollify high-ranking lawmakers about the restrictions being taken ahead of the official announcement, but has met a backlash from one of the individuals holding one of the top four positions in the two Diet chambers.

“It would be rude of the executive branch of government to give orders to the legislative branch of government,” said the lawmaker. “I have no intention of relinquishing my mobile phone and intend to leave the meeting room after we give our opinions.”

[...]
Selection of new era name in final stage - News - NHK WORLD - English
Japan's government has revealed that on March 14 it officially selected multiple experts to consider a new name for the era of the nation's next emperor. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga's announcement on Sunday suggests that the selection process is now in the final stage. [...]

Suga: Namer of new era will not be revealed - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...] On Monday, Suga said they are experts in Japanese literature, Chinese literature, Japanese history and Oriental history. But he refrained from disclosing their specific areas of expertise.

Suga said the experts want their identities to remain secret, and that revealing them would stir unwanted speculation. [...]
Japan Govt Not to Disclose Unpicked Era Name Candidates | Nippon.com
[...] The new era name screening process is feared to become opaque, as the Abe government also plans not to make public opinions taken from heads of both chambers of parliament and others as well as the names and the number of scholars asked by the government to come up with candidate names, critics said.
Govt. urges firms to prepare for era change - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...] The government carried out a survey between late January and the middle of February on how businesses are preparing for the change.

Of the more than 2,700 companies surveyed, 20 percent said they have not ascertained whether the calendars in their computer systems use Japanese eras.

More than 500 companies said they plan to revise their current systems because of the era change. Of those, 48 percent said they have not yet set out plans to test new systems. [...]
---------------------------------------------------
Sigh. IMO, it doesn't matter how long it takes to determine the new era name. They can still rubberstamp it after 2+ hours vs. 30 minutes... The government should figure out solid plans for emergency, medical, and childcare services during the 10-day holiday.

Mods: will there be different threads for May 1st succession and October enthronement activities?

Last edited:
New era name to be unveiled Monday at 11:30 - News - NHK WORLD - English

Suga to reveal new imperial era name before noon on April 1: The Asahi Shimbun
The new imperial era name will be announced around 11:30 a.m. on April 1, and it will likely defy widespread expectations and popular suggestions expressed online.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, who will make the announcement, revealed the timing at his daily news conference on March 29.

If past tradition is followed, Suga will likely hold up a small poster board with the two kanji characters making up the new name.

[...]

Experts will discuss what the name should be at a meeting that will start at 9:30 a.m. on April 1.

The Cabinet of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will formally decide on the name after consulting with the heads and deputy heads of the two Diet chambers as well as holding discussions among all Cabinet ministers.

[...]

Many websites have posted their own rankings of what would be the most appropriate new era name. That, in turn, led to one guideline stating that candidates at the top of such rankings should be avoided.

[...]

Another consideration is the first alphabetic letter in the new era name.

Computer programs often distinguish the imperial eras since the Meiji Era (1868-1912) with the first letter in the name. Therefore, the new era name will not begin with an “M,” “T,” “S” or “H,” which are used for the last four eras of Meiji, Taisho, Showa and Heisei.

[...]

After all those hurdles are cleared, more than five candidates will be submitted to the experts panel for discussions on what is the most appropriate name for the new era.

After Suga's announcement, Abe will hold a news conference to explain the new era name.
Japan to announce new era name at 11:30 a.m. Mon.: gov't spokesman - The Mainichi
[...]

On Monday morning, the government will present a shortlist of name candidates to a panel of representatives from business, academia and media organizations to hear their opinions. It will also gather input from leaders and deputy leaders of both Diet chambers, before the Cabinet approves an ordinance to introduce the new gengo.

Suga said the government will announce the panel members the same morning. Kyoto University's Shinya Yamanaka, who won the Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine in 2012 for developing iPS cells, and novelist Mariko Hayashi are among candidates for the panel members, according to sources close to the matter.

[...]
Companies using the succession for special promotions...

Tokyo hotel to serve giant $900 wagyu burgers in honor of new emperor - The Mainichi
A restaurant in a high-class Tokyo hotel unveiled Thursday giant wagyu beef hamburgers with gold-dusted buns, costing 100,000 yen ($908), in honor of the upcoming ascension of the new emperor.

Available at the Oak Door steakhouse in the Grand Hyatt Tokyo, located in the capital's posh Roppongi district, the 3-kilogram burgers will celebrate the succession and new imperial era using an array of expensive ingredients, also including foie gras and shaved black truffles. [...]

Flight to take in Mt. Fuji sunrise on day Naruhito takes the throne: The Asahi Shimbun
[...] The flight, departing from and returning to Chubu Airport, will be the first organized by Fuji Dream Airlines Co. (FDA) at the location. [...]

A pair of tickets for the flight, which takes off just before 4 a.m. and returns at 5:30 a.m., will cost 75,800 yen ($677), including tax. The aircraft accommodates up to 60 passengers. [...]

Last edited:
From the 1st May 2019, the new gengo will be reiwa. This has just been announced in Japan

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20190401/p2a/00m/0na/004000c

According to the Mainichi article: The name is composed of two Chinese characters, or kanji. The first, "rei," has meanings including "good" or "beautiful," as well as "order" or "rule." The meanings of the second character, "wa," include "harmony," "peace," and "Japanese style."

I am finding the layers of meaning very interesting indeed, and the additional information in the article is also well worth reading and thinking about.

Back
Top Bottom