Emperor Akihito and his abdication

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what will the current Emperor and Empress be doing once the abdication?

The policy against women emperors reflects the wishes of political leaders (above all Shinzo Abe) rather than most men (or women) in Japan. Roughly 80% of the polled voters in most surveys believe female succession should be allowed. Here is a 2017 poll regarding succession and membership issues: 70% back female emperor or succession from the female line:The Asahi Shimbun

Are you perhaps referring to the editorial written by the late Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, and if so, didn't he proceed to say the remark about concubines was a joke?

Probably. ?
Unfortunately I'm not so sure it's that big a joke.
I do believe a number of the more conservative are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid the dreaded prospect of a woman on the throne. - Including various "biological alternatives."
If no egg is available then a "donor-woman" with suitable eggs would be a neat solution. With artificial insemination they don't even have to have intercourse or a relationship - and they can determine the sex of the child...
The woman will have to be made a concubine (i.e. official) in order to ensure the child is legitimate.
If no sperm is available, then cloning is an option. The technology is available now or at least only a few years away.
The ethical aspects and the fact that the Imperial family consists of human beings with emotions is immaterial. It is their sacred duty to Japan and the succession that matters...
And, hush, hush, the people need not be told...
I can easily imagine the ultra-conservatives seriously contemplating such alternatives.

This isn't about logic. To extremists logic, arguments and considerations doesn't apply, because they know they are right.
They have for whatever reason come to the conclusion that women cannot, must not, sit on the throne and as long as they have any political influence, which they unfortunately have, they will fight that prospect with all means.

I believe should there be a situation where there are only females left in the imperial bloodline, they would prefer a regency, until a boy is born, rather than having a female empress. Even if that regency should last decades and de facto turn Japan into a republic. Or a kind of shogunate, if you prefer. - Something many ultra-conservatives would happily welcome BTW! Important decisions shouldn't be left to the whim of the people and democracy anyway.
In fact it would be so much better if the Emperor and the Imperial Family only appear once a year, being driven through the streets of Kyoto and seen suitable worshiping at various Shinto shrines and otherwise only being seen receiving foreign heads of state.
Aloof. - A semi-divine symbol, just like in the good old days. And under control...

Last edited:
Things have 'come to a pretty pass' when the continuance of a 1000 year old dynasty is dependent on the life of a small boy aged seven...

It amazes me that the Japanese who are SO up-to-date in so many areas are utterly backward as regards Female succession..
Do they WANT to become a Republic by mistake ???

No, but a republic cannot be established by mistake. Transitioning to a republic would involve extensive reform to the Constitution (which has never been amended after 1947). Should something happen to Hisahito or should he fail to produce a legitimate son, there will be years of political fighting over who ought to follow him on the throne, but Japan will not become a republic.

It amazes me that the Japanese who are SO up-to-date in so many areas are utterly backward as regards Female succession..

It is the same as with the ban on female succession in most of the British aristocracy: In fact, the majority of Britons and the majority of Japanese are in favor of female succession, but in both cases, the support of ultra-traditionalists matters more to the British and Japanese governments respectively.

Probably. ?
Unfortunately I'm not so sure it's that big a joke.
I do believe a number of the more conservative are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid the dreaded prospect of a woman on the throne. - Including various "biological alternatives."
If no egg is available then a "donor-woman" with suitable eggs would be a neat solution. With artificial insemination they don't even have to have intercourse or a relationship - and they can determine the sex of the child...
The woman will have to be made a concubine (i.e. official) in order to ensure the child is legitimate.
If no sperm is available, then cloning is an option. The technology is available now or at least only a few years away.
The ethical aspects and the fact that the Imperial family consists of human beings with emotions is immaterial. It is their sacred duty to Japan and the succession that matters...
And, hush, hush, the people need not be told...
I can easily imagine the ultra-conservatives seriously contemplating such alternatives.

Fortunately for the ultra-nationalists, there is no need to contemplate donor eggs or concubines when they have/had more politically correct alternatives to put forward:

1. "Restoring" male private citizens with traceable male-line imperial lineage to the imperial family.
2. Urging Naruhito to divorce Masako and marry a younger, fertile, and more "compliant" woman. This was apparently supported by Emperor Akihito (even though he is not a nationalist by any means).

I believe should there be a situation where there are only females left in the imperial bloodline, they would prefer a regency, until a boy is born, rather than having a female empress. Even if that regency should last decades and de facto turn Japan into a republic. Or a kind of shogunate, if you prefer. - Something many ultra-conservatives would happily welcome BTW! Important decisions shouldn't be left to the whim of the people and democracy anyway.
In fact it would be so much better if the Emperor and the Imperial Family only appear once a year, being driven through the streets of Kyoto and seen suitable worshiping at various Shinto shrines and otherwise only being seen receiving foreign heads of state.

Aloof. - A semi-divine symbol, just like in the good old days. And under control...

Indeed! This is the explanation why the argument that the imperial family is shrinking carries no water with traditionalists: Many of them would prefer that the imperial family be shrunk.

No, but a republic cannot be established by mistake. Transitioning to a republic would involve extensive reform to the Constitution (which has never been amended after 1947). Should something happen to Hisahito or should he fail to produce a legitimate son, there will be years of political fighting over who ought to follow him on the throne, but Japan will not become a republic.

It is the same as with the ban on female succession in most of the British aristocracy: In fact, the majority of Britons and the majority of Japanese are in favor of female succession, but in both cases, the support of ultra-traditionalists matters more to the British and Japanese governments respectively.

Fortunately for the ultra-nationalists, there is no need to contemplate donor eggs or concubines when they have/had more politically correct alternatives to put forward:

1. "Restoring" male private citizens with traceable male-line imperial lineage to the imperial family.
2. Urging Naruhito to divorce Masako and marry a younger, fertile, and more "compliant" woman. This was apparently supported by Emperor Akihito (even though he is not a nationalist by any means).

Indeed! This is the explanation why the argument that the imperial family is shrinking carries no water with traditionalists: Many of them would prefer that the imperial family be shrunk.

The difference between Britain and japan is that if Charlotte had been born before George, there is no way in this world the ultra-traditionalists in Britain would win an argument about by-passing Charlotte. Neither politically, nor with the public. Especially not with the extremely long and successful reign of QEII.

In Japan the option of elevating "a commoner" to emperor, before several princesses is a real possibility!

I cannot imagine Naruhito divorcing Masako, that IMO is further out than artificial insemination, where the gender is "engineered".
From the impression I have of his character he simply will not divorce his wife for dynastic reasons.
And while such a step would be applauded by the ultra-conservatives, I doubt very much the Japanese public would find it palatable. That could turn out to be a greater danger to the monarchy than the lack of heirs.

The suggestion to return commoners to royal status goes to show how irrational the ultra-conservatives stance is!
A "King Ralph" solution may work in a film but it is IMO much more questionable whether it would work in real life. Not with several princesses around.
That's the nightmare scenarios for any monarchy through the ages. That a pretender that does not have a broad public backing is put on the throne, while there are alternatives much closer to the throne, who have a broad public backing.
I'm not suggesting the Japanese would start a civil war over this. What I'm saying is that a (more or less enthusiastic) alternative who is put on the throne will have a bad start! Is likely to get little respect and is likely to be the focal point for a lot of discontent as well.
That means that a lot of Japanese may not see him as a "genuine emperor" and simply turn their backs on him. - And a monarchy without public backing, especially a monarchy that is "politically appointed" may very well become irrelevant. And from there there is a little step towards a republic.
Keep in mind that once an emperor is placed on the throne, you can't "fix it" by having him abdicate again, should the political mood shift. That would reduce the Japanese monarchy to a circus!

Things have 'come to a pretty pass' when the continuance of a 1000 year old dynasty is dependent on the life of a small boy aged seven...

I think Japan does not even have Republican movements.

But they should let Aiko be their father's successor.

Facial recognition will be used to register attendees at Emperor Akihito’s 30th anniversary ceremony on February 24th at the National Theater. It'll be the first time a government hosted event will use the system. The goal is to shorten entry time (no more tickets or in-person registration) and become a pillar for security measures, especially for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. The 1000+ attendees will scan a "QR code" and submit a selfie. The data will be deleted after the ceremony.

Source: Sankei

Female imperial family members to be barred from key succession rite - Kyodo News
The government decided Thursday only male adult imperial family members will attend one of the key ceremonies to mark Crown Prince Naruhito's ascension to the throne on May 1, following the example set by Emperor Akihito's enthronement in 1989.

[...]

The "Kenji to Shokei no Gi" ceremony, in which the new emperor inherits traditional regalia such as the sacred sword and jewels as proof of accession to the throne, will commence at 10:30 a.m. on May 1 at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, with Cabinet ministers, Diet leaders and the chief justice of the Supreme Court taking part.

[...]

But in the "Sokui go Choken no Gi" ritual, or the new emperor's first audience ceremony after the accession to be held later on May 1, female adult imperial family members will be allowed to participate, along with senior parliament and government officials and municipality heads.

The government committee on the imperial succession rites led by Abe also decided Thursday to use a convertible model of Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury sedan Century for a parade scheduled for Oct. 22 to celebrate with the public the new emperor's enthronement.

[...]
ETA: Emperor to give final speech at abdication ceremony:The Asahi Shimbun
Emperor Akihito will give a speech at his abdication ceremony [...] on April 30 [...]

About 340 people are expected to attend, including the heads of the three branches of government, Cabinet ministers and local representatives.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will give a speech as the representative of the Japanese people, and Akihito will deliver his final address as emperor.

The abdication ceremony will take place at the Matsu-no-Ma state room within the Imperial Palace. The sacred sword and jewels considered to be the traditional properties that symbolize the emperor's position will be on display there.

[...]

The Jan. 17 meeting also approved the use of a Toyota Century model car for the ceremonial procession that will be held in autumn to celebrate Naruhito’s becoming emperor. The vehicle will be redesigned into a convertible.

Last edited:
Outline set for ceremonies around Emperor’s abdication - The Japan News
[…] The Taiirei Seiden no Gi abdication ceremony, to be held for the first time under a constitutional government, will begin at 5 p.m. on April 30, taking into account the time when the Emperor’s official duties will end.

[…] Male participants will be dressed in such clothes as morning coats and the Japanese formal attire of a haori coat and hakama trousers with a family crest, while female participants will be dressed in such clothes as long dresses and white-collared kimono with a family crest.

[…] The Sokuigo Choken no Gi, a ceremony in which the new emperor meets with representatives of the people for the first time after his enthronement, will start at 11:10 a.m. on May 1. A total of 338 people, including the heads of the three branches and representatives of local governments, will be invited to attend the Choken no Gi and Taiirei Seiden no Gi ceremonies.

[…] These events will be held in the Matsu no Ma state room of the Imperial Palace and are expected to last about 10 minutes each. […]
Emperor's abdication and succession ceremonies decided | Nippon TV NEWS24 JAPAN
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will meet the heads of the 3 branches of government at 11:30am...
I'm getting mixed up with the ceremonies so I wrote down a brief timeline starting from April 30. Some articles jump around dates and decisions so that adds to the confusion.

April 30:
5pm Taiirei Seiden no Gi abdication ceremony

May 1:
10:30am Kenji to Shokei no Gi ceremony (Naruhito receives the Imperial regalia and state and privy seals, NO female royalty here)
11:10am Sokui go Choken no Gi
11:30am Sokui go Choken no Gi for heads of the 3 branches of government

October 22: enthronement ceremony, parade, court banquet

October 25: court banquet

October 29: court banquet

October 31: court banquet

November 14-15: Daijōsai (Great Thanksgiving Festival)

Last edited:
So he will no longer participate in royal stuff anymore? Basically go in hiding after May 1st?

So he will no longer participate in royal stuff anymore? Basically go in hiding after May 1st?

He will no longer be emperor, and he and the current empress will live privately in retirement.

That's how the changeover has been described, anyway.

He will no longer be emperor, and he and the current empress will live privately in retirement.

That's how the changeover has been described, anyway.
What if say world leaders would want to meet him? They can’t? Not even for private lunch?

It would probably depend on whether or not they had an established personal relationship with Akihito and Michiko, in which case a private lunch might be possible. On the other hand, if a personal, private relationship doesn't exist, what would be the point? I'm also very sure that the government and the IHA will want to avoid any confusion or appearance of undermining the status of Naruhito, so overall I think this is unlikely to happen very often, if at all. Another consideration is the health of both Michiko and Akihito, which is one of the reasons for the abdication: they've earned their retirement.

It would probably depend on whether or not they had an established personal relationship with Akihito and Michiko, in which case a private lunch might be possible. On the other hand, if a personal, private relationship doesn't exist, what would be the point? I'm also very sure that the government and the IHA will want to avoid any confusion or appearance of undermining the status of Naruhito, so overall I think this is unlikely to happen very often, if at all. Another consideration is the health of both Michiko and Akihito, which is one of the reasons for the abdication: they've earned their retirement.
Well it will just depend I guess. All the time world leaders or other royals meet with ex King and Queens.

Well it will just depend I guess. All the time world leaders or other royals meet with ex King and Queens.

They may do it sometimes, if the ex royal is a friend, otherwise I can't see why they would.

what would It matter if Japain did become a republic?

Last edited by a moderator:
They may do it sometimes, if the ex royal is a friend, otherwise I can't see why they would.

If I had the chance I would want to meet the current emperor and the new one. That's just me.

If I had the chance I would want to meet the current emperor and the new one. That's just me.

I am pretty sure that is exactly what they want to avoid. Come May 1st, there is one emperor who will receive official visitors. His predecessor happens to still be around but in the opinion of many politicians shouldn't be heard or seen... so no official audiences or anything like that I assume.

So, if you want to visit both you should hurry. Currently, you could visit both the emperor and the crown prince :flowers: (if you have the right connections/position of course)

Last edited:

Unless you were in some kind of political or diplomatic position, or a personal friend, it is not likely that you would meet either. Once the new emperor comes into his position, the retired one is not emperor any more. I can't quite see why people who would meet the Emperor in an official capacity would wish to confuse the issue by visitng the retired emperor. And he will likely be relieved not to have to deal with official visitors any more now that he has retired partly due to health and age reasons. his personal friends will visit, I am sure but they are personal friends.

Unless you were in some kind of political or diplomatic position, or a personal friend, it is not likely that you would meet either. Once the new emperor comes into his position, the retired one is not emperor any more. I can't quite see why people who would meet the Emperor in an official capacity would wish to confuse the issue by visitng the retired emperor. And he will likely be relieved not to have to deal with official visitors any more now that he has retired partly due to health and age reasons. his personal friends will visit, I am sure but they are personal friends.
I just mean in private. Not public news. It’s like how royals meet with ex presidents and current presidents and also take pics with ex presidents. Really not a big deal.

I just mean in private. Not public news. It’s like how royals meet with ex presidents and current presidents and also take pics with ex presidents. Really not a big deal.

I don't know what you mean exactly. Ex presidents are not the same as Ex Emperors.... and I don't know what royals and presidents you mean...

I don't know what you mean exactly. Ex presidents are not the same as Ex Emperors.... and I don't know what royals and presidents you mean...

It’s alrifht. If I was in a position to meet the current and new emperor I would do it.!

:previous: Yes, the retired emperor and empress can still meet people and travel. Those activities should be outside of the state banquets and official ceremonies. Going to concerts, exhibitions, etc. are considered private activities according to a Sankei article last year. They can also attend the New Year's General Public Greeting on January 2nd although I don't know if they'll attend all 5 appearances or just the first 2 like the extended family members.

The retired couple will NOT attend official events like New Year's Reception, Lectures, Poetry Reading, garden parties, state banquets, welcoming ceremonies, national conferences, etc.

For foreign guests, the current practice seems to be: royal guests meet the emperor and empress and then the crown prince and crown princess. Non-royal guests only seem to meet the emperor and empress although CP Naruhito has received presidents at times.

On January 31st, the IHA announced some decisions on assignments after the abdication. Besides taking on Emperor Akihito's 3 major regional events - National Tree Planting, National Sea Enrichment, and National Sports Festival - Naruhito will continue to attend the National Cultural Festival as emperor; it is one of 7 major regional events he currently attends.

Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko will split 5 of Naruhito's other annual events.
Prince Akishino: National Greenery Conservation, National Tree Growing Festival, National Inter-High School Sports Festival, National Sports Festival for Disabled People
Princess Kiko: National Blood Donation Promotion Conference

To reduce the burden on the Akishino couple, Princess Mako may attend some events. Prince Akishino retains his honorary patron / president positions at 13 organizations but attendance will be limited.

Princess Nobuko takes the National Young Farmers Summit as announced earlier.

As for Tokyo events:
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will continue to attend the International Youth Conference which was established to commemorate their marriage.
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako takes over both Children's Day and Senior Citizen's Day visits (currently alternating between the CP and Akishino couples)
Akishino couple takes over Cultural Agency Art Festival opening ceremony
Princess Kiko takes over Japan Prize International Contest for Educational Media (currently attended by CP Naruhito)

Sources: Sankei, Jiji, Mainichi

..... I want Princesses Akiko, Yoko, Hisako, and Tsuguko to get some assignments... please... and what about Kako?

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks for posting that update, Prisma. Very, very interesting, and yes, I noticed that Hisako, Tsuguko, Kako, Akiko, and Yoko were not included, which seems odd to me. I wonder what that is about? Or if, perhaps, they will take on additional duties, but those will be announced at a later time? All of these women are very capable, so not utilizing them seems wasteful in the extreme.

:previous: Yes, the retired emperor and empress can still meet people and travel. Those activities should be outside of the state banquets and official ceremonies. Going to concerts, exhibitions, etc. are considered private activities according to a Sankei article last year. They can also attend the New Year's General Public Greeting on January 2nd although I don't know if they'll attend all 5 appearances or just the first 2 like the extended family members.

The retired couple will NOT attend official events like New Year's Reception, Lectures, Poetry Reading, garden parties, state banquets, welcoming ceremonies, national conferences, etc.

For foreign guests, the current practice seems to be: royal guests meet the emperor and empress and then the crown prince and crown princess. Non-royal guests only seem to meet the emperor and empress although CP Naruhito has received presidents at times.

On January 31st, the IHA announced some decisions on assignments after the abdication. Besides taking on Emperor Akihito's 3 major regional events - National Tree Planting, National Sea Enrichment, and National Sports Festival - Naruhito will continue to attend the National Cultural Festival as emperor; it is one of 7 major regional events he currently attends.

Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko will split 5 of Naruhito's other annual events.
Prince Akishino: National Greenery Conservation, National Tree Growing Festival, National Inter-High School Sports Festival, National Sports Festival for Disabled People

To reduce the burden on the Akishino couple, Princess Mako may attend some events. Prince Akishino retains his honorary patron / president positions at 13 organizations but attendance will be limited.

As for Tokyo events:
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will continue to attend the International Youth Conference which was established to commemorate their marriage.
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako takes over both Children's Day and Senior Citizen's Day visits (currently alternating between the CP and Akishino couples)
Princess Noriko takes over Japan Prize International Contest for Educational Media (currently attended by CP Naruhito)

..... I want Princesses Akiko, Yoko, Hisako, and Tsuguko to get some assignments... please... and what about Kako?

Wow thank you.

You're welcome Kitty1224 and Ista :flowers:

:previous: Thanks for posting that update, Prisma. Very, very interesting, and yes, I noticed that Hisako, Tsuguko, Kako, Akiko, and Yoko were not included, which seems odd to me. I wonder what that is about? Or if, perhaps, they will take on additional duties, but those will be announced at a later time? All of these women are very capable, so not utilizing them seems wasteful in the extreme.
Maybe the IHA prefers senior royals at such big events? I don't know. At least Princess Nobuko got something. The IHA could spread out the assignments to the other princesses which would 1) reduce the burden on the Akishino family 2) allow Prince Akishino to attend his 13 patronages regularly 3) actually utilize the princesses!!!

So frustrating. They "worry" about lacking royals to carry out public service and then don't give them assignments. Even though Akiko and Hisako are busy, I'm sure they can accommodate any of these events.

Personally, I would give the Cultural Agency Art Festival to Akiko or Mako, National Sports Festival for Disabled People to Yoko, National Inter-High School Sports Festival to Tsuguko, Japan Prize International Contest for Educational Media to Hisako, and National Greenery Conservation to Mako or Kako.

Just realized I made a mistake earlier. Princess Kiko (not Noriko) gets Japan Prize International Contest for Educational Media. Google frequently translates 紀子さま as Noriko instead of Kiko.

ETA: rotation is another option. Except for the Imperial couple who are honorary presidents of the Japanese Red Cross, the other senior royals are honorary vice-presidents so the National Blood Donation Promotion Conference can rotate between Akishino and the older female princesses.

Last edited:
Emperor, prince to be told era name first - The Japan News
The government will report the new era name to the Emperor and Crown Prince Naruhito before making it public on April 1, informed sources said Sunday.

[...]

The government is considering having Prime Minister Shinzo Abe report the new name directly to both the Emperor and the crown prince, according to the sources close to Abe.

The government is expected to report the new name to them as soon as the government selects it from among the proposed names.

The government will seek advice from the Cabinet Legislation Bureau to set a specific reporting procedure, so as not to raise any question about the constitutionality of the procedure, the sources said. The constitution bans the Emperor from being involved in political affairs.

[...]

The selection process will not involve the current or the new Emperor. At the time of the 1989 name change from Showa, the government reported the era name of Heisei to the Emperor through the grand steward of the Imperial Household Agency before making it public.

[...]
I wonder if any emperor has disliked their era name. That would be extremely awkward. Not only is it their reign name, it's their posthumous name as well.

Various events marking Emperor Akihito's 30-year reign:

Railroad show marks Emperor Akihito's 30-year reign | Nippon TV NEWS24 JAPAN

Exhibition to mark 30th anniversary of Emperor's enthronement opens at palace - The Mainichi
A special exhibition of poems by Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko opened at Sannomaru Shozokan (The Museum of the Imperial Collections) in the East Gardens of the Imperial Palace on Feb. 2.

[...] A portrait of the Emperor and Empress commissioned from painter Hiroshi Noda is also on public display for the first time.

The portrait is a 2-meter-square oil painting of the Emperor and the Empress standing close to one another. Among the exhibits are poems the Imperial Couple has read at the New Year's poetry ceremonies and photos of the readings. There are poems to console disaster victims and mourn those killed in World War II. [...]
Tracing Their Majesties’ 30 Years Through the Poems of Their Majesties the Emperor and the Empress, The Museum of the Imperial Collections, Sannomaru Shozokan has photos of gifts the Imperial couple gave each other and the empress' sericulture works

Paperweight from Empress Michiko to Emperor Akihito
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/event/sannomaru/img/tokubetu2019-3.jpg

Thread cabinet from Emperor Akihito to Empress Michiko for her 70th birthday
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/event/sannomaru/img/tokubetu2019-4.jpg

Fabric woven from Koishimaru silk
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/event/sannomaru/img/tokubetu2019-8.jpg
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/event/sannomaru/img/tokubetu2019-9.jpg

Signing of the Greeting Book for The 30th Anniversary of the Enthronement of His Majesty the Emperor
Date: February 24, 2019
1. Signing of the Greeting Book
On the occasion of The 30th Anniversary of the Enthronement of His Majesty the Emperor, the Greeting Book is open for the well-wishers from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the signing desk in front of the Imperial Household Building. (Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress and other members of the Imperial Family do not present themselves on February 24.)

Entrance and Exit: Sakashita-mon Gate

The well-wishers are requested to write their full name and the name of prefecture (country of origin: in case of foreigner) on the Greeting Book. The stationery is prepared at the desk. [...]
Kyoto Imperial Palace. The Special Exhibition Commemorating the 30th Anniversary of the Enthronement of His Majesty the Emperor.
Exhibits
Items related to the enthronement ceremonies
Ox drawn carriage
Imperial court costumes (Traditional robes)
Pictorial sliding door “Choga” (depicting a scene of new year’s greetings to the emperor) painted by Sumiyoshi Hirotsura
Flower arrangements by schools of temples which are associated with the imperial family

Performances
Gagaku (Imperial court music and dances) March 16 (Saturday) 10:00, 11:00 & 12:00

Kemari (Ancient football game of the imperial court) March 17 (Sunday) 10:00, 11:00 & 12:00

Kangen (Imperial court music) March 21 (Thursday) 10:00, 11:00 & 12:00

Last edited:

As for Tokyo events:
Princess Kiko takes over Japan Prize International Contest for Educational Media (currently attended by CP Naruhito)

Maybe the IHA prefers senior royals at such big events? I don't know. At least Princess Nobuko got something. The IHA could spread out the assignments to the other princesses which would 1) reduce the burden on the Akishino family 2) allow Prince Akishino to attend his 13 patronages regularly 3) actually utilize the princesses!!!

So frustrating. They "worry" about lacking royals to carry out public service and then don't give them assignments. Even though Akiko and Hisako are busy, I'm sure they can accommodate any of these events.

Personally, I would give the Cultural Agency Art Festival to Akiko or Mako, National Sports Festival for Disabled People to Yoko, National Inter-High School Sports Festival to Tsuguko, Japan Prize International Contest for Educational Media to Hisako, and National Greenery Conservation to Mako or Kako.

Just realized I made a mistake earlier. Princess Kiko (not Noriko) gets Japan Prize International Contest for Educational Media. Google frequently translates 紀子さま as Noriko instead of Kiko.

ETA: rotation is another option. Except for the Imperial couple who are honorary presidents of the Japanese Red Cross, the other senior royals are honorary vice-presidents so the National Blood Donation Promotion Conference can rotate between Akishino and the older female princesses.

Your expert knowledge of the imperial family's assignments is so impressive!

I am in complete agreement with you, in particular the paragraph highlighted above. It unfortunately calls to mind Emperor Akihito's role in the debates on the future of the monarchy. He was an intransigent opponent of female succession until it became plainly clear that Hisahito's birth would not cause Masako and Naruhito to "try harder" to have male children, then he opposed allowing males from other families into the line of succession and blamed the anti-female-succession politicians' inaction for the unstable succession. For the past decade he has reportedly been attempting to persuade the government to include married princesses in the imperial family, but allegedly wanted this to apply only to his own granddaughters. He played up the crucialness of ensuring the visible presence of the royal family in the public domain in order to persuade the public that he must be allowed to abdicate, but now it seems as if he might only want his descendants to be visible faces of the monarchy. I admire Emperor Akihito's many outstanding qualities, including his dynamism and informality, but he sometimes seems to think first of his own interests.

On a different note, the announcements seems to hint that nobody is expecting Mako to exit the imperial family in the near future ...

Emperor, prince to be told era name first - The Japan News

I wonder if any emperor has disliked their era name. That would be extremely awkward. Not only is it their reign name, it's their posthumous name as well.

Good point! I wonder if there was some discreet exploration of Naruhito's feelings on the matter, though the constitutional lawyers would certainly object.

It is difficult to wrap the mind around the significance of this event in the context of royal history: It will be the end of a thirty-year era in the world's oldest and the world's largest (as measured by the number of subjects) monarchy, and for Japan, the first abdication of the democratic modern era.

Last edited:
Your expert knowledge of the imperial family's assignments is so impressive!

I am in complete agreement with you, in particular the paragraph highlighted above. It unfortunately calls to mind Emperor Akihito's role in the debates on the future of the monarchy. He was an intransigent opponent of female succession until it became plainly clear that Hisahito's birth would not cause Masako and Naruhito to "try harder" to have male children, then he opposed allowing males from other families into the line of succession and blamed the anti-female-succession politicians' inaction for the unstable succession. For the past decade he has reportedly been attempting to persuade the government to include married princesses in the imperial family, but allegedly wanted this to apply only to his own granddaughters. He played up the crucialness of ensuring the visible presence of the royal family in the public domain in order to persuade the public that he must be allowed to abdicate, but now it seems as if he might only want his descendants to be visible faces of the monarchy. I admire Emperor Akihito's many outstanding qualities, including his dynamism and informality, but he sometimes seems to think first of his own interests.

It is difficult to wrap the mind around the significance of this event in the context of royal history: It will be the end of a thirty-year era in the world's oldest and the world's largest (as measured by the number of subjects) monarchy, and for Japan, the first abdication of the democratic modern era.

I don't find it surprising that Akihito drew a line between his own granddaughters being retained as members of the imperial family, and the princesses from the other branches of the family. Whether it's wise is another whole question (no, it's not wise) but I can see where he's coming from. It would be just three princesses, Aiko, Mako and Kako, so fewer bodies to ruffle the feathers of the purists, and, also to please the purists, those three are closer to the throne, and therefore might be considered of "purer" Imperial blood. So I get that, but I have never really admired how Akihito and Michiko handled Masako and Naruhito's inability to have more children, and it makes me look at Akihito's reported maneuverings regarding this issue with a cynical eye.

I agree that this is a remarkable end to an era. I have truly enjoyed looking at the retrospectives regarding Akihito and Michiko's time on the throne, and especially appreciate Prisma's posts!

Japan emperor to be addressed with 'emeritus' after abdication - The Mainichi
Japanese Emperor Akihito will be called "emperor emeritus" and Empress Michiko "empress emerita" following his abdication in April, the Imperial Household Agency said Monday.

[...] The agency came up with the English titles through consultation with the Foreign Ministry after studying those used by overseas royal families.

The agency said the word "emeritus" is used to express admiration and respect for the accumulation of experiences and achievements and "suitable to refer to the joko who commands great respect after abdication."

[...]
Emperor Akihito to Be Called Emperor Emeritus after Abdication | Nippon.com
[...]

As far as royal family members are concerned, there has been no case in the world in which the word "emeritus" or "emerita" was used as part of a post-abdication title in English, Yasuhiko Nishimura, vice grand steward of the agency, told a news conference.

Although some retired foreign kings and queens have used the same titles, the Emperor and the Empress will bear the fresh ones to clearly indicate the change in their positions, Nishimura explained.

[...]

Last edited:
:previous:

Thanks! Interesting explanation. Earlier in this forum Mbruno suggested that very translation based on the precedent of the retired Pope, so actually it has been used. Perhaps the vice grand steward was only thinking of abdicated hereditary monarchs.

They also confirm that Fumihito's title will be translated as Crown Prince. Kiko's will be translated as Crown Princess, I assume. However, I expect the foreign media will want to identify them by name and not just the titles The Crown Prince and The Crown Princess; from their perspective, Fumihito will be just one of a whole group of crown princes across the globe. Will the IHA and Foreign Ministry advise them to use "Crown Prince Akishino/Crown Princess Akishino" or "Crown Prince Fumihito/Crown Princess Kiko"?

The second one would seem more normal to me as an English speaker. The British Prince of Wales is called "Prince Charles", not "Prince Wales" or "Prince Mountbatten-Windsor", by the foreign media.

By the way, I found interesting this article comparing the controversy over the era name announcement to female succession and nationalism. I am not sure I agree with its conclusion that the conservatives are being "logically incongruous", but it observes that they hardly cherish traditions from prior to the late 1800s (which would include the ancient tradition of female emperors).

https://www.tokyoreview.net/2019/01/whats-in-an-era-name/

Like many other “traditions” that conservatives now hold dear, the current system of imperial era names is really a product of the late 1800s, when a large number of national “traditions” were formalized (or in some cases, invented) as part of the “restoration” of imperial power. However, it is important to note that the Meiji Emperor was 15 at the time, and thus held little actual “power”. Since the Meiji Emperor, there have only been three era changes: Taisho (1912), Showa (1926), and Heisei (1989). The current transition also represents the first abdication in over two hundred years. There is not much precedent to employ and no lengthy tradition to rest upon as justification for withholding an announcement, whether formal or informal.

Logical incongruities such as this are a common issue associated with the conservative policies towards the Imperial household. These are the same people that argue that imperial succession must only include male heirs, even though all emperors are supposedly descended from Amaterasu, a female deity. They ascribe divine significance to the royal family but lash out against members of that same family who disagree with their own prescribed version of the imperial way. In sum, they can create friction in situations which may be wholly unwarranted.

Last edited:
I had wondered how the issue of how to refer to and address Akihito and Michiko was going to be handled. I understand the thinking, but it does sound a little awkward to me, and I wonder, from a practical aspect, how often that title will be used in the Western press? I also don't think that it automatically implies admiration and respect, or even that the bearer of the title is retired. To me it sounds as though "emeritus" could imply that the former emperor is of higher status than Naruhito. Perhaps that's the intent. It just goes to show how tricky the issue of translating traditional titles into Western languages is for the Asian countries.

Tatiana Maria, thank you for posting the link to the article. I think it makes some good points, and things that I believe we've commented on in these threads. The conservative elements are perfectly willing to pick and choose which policies and precedents they emphasize when it comes to the Imperial household, and consistency is not always maintained across the board.

Back
Top Bottom