Emperor Akihito & Empress Michiko Current Events Part 2: September 2006- January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the photos and videos, Artemisia! :flowers: I was just starting to look for photos via Google when I found that you had already put them here. :)

The patience and inner strength of the Japanese people are indeed admirable. However, everything has its time and place. There have been reports about the crisis management not only having been slow but half-hearted and ineffectual even from a long-term perspective.

The Imperial Household Agency released five 31-syllable "waka" poems Sunday written by Emperor Akihito and three by Empress Michiko. [...]

Thinking of the people in temporary housing
(Emperor Akihito)
'Tis cold once again
In the afflicted regions
My heart goes out to
The people facing winter
In temporary housing

I think this poem is quite remarkable given the fact that there ARE people in Japan who believe that the living circumstances of the earthquake victims might have been a lot better IF their wellbeing had been given the high priority it deserves. But, unfortunately, as the BBC reported, the Japanese tsunami fund was 'used for a whaling programme'. The Japan Times wrote:
Consider the Tohoku disaster victims. What they really need is assistance both physical and financial, and coordinated action by the authorities to help them reconstruct their lives in a place of their choosing.

Instead, look what they're getting: A government paralyzed by sloth, doling out underwhelming aid. A Parliament gridlocked by political party games. An ongoing nuclear situation whose resolution depends on a profoundly corrupt system more interested in controlling the flow of bad news to the public than in dealing with the problem in a trustworthy and forthright manner.
Reading the emperor´s poems, one might conclude that neither he gives the blame solely to nature´s powers for what his people have to suffer.

Like the Japan Times put it: Maybe Japan needs less ganbatte and more genuine action.
Ganbatte kudasai! You hear this expression every day in Japan. "Do your best!" "Try harder!" "Stick to it!" "Don't give up!" are but a few of the positive messages conveyed. It offered succor 25 years ago when I was in university bushwhacking through the Japanese language: One "ganbatte!" from Sensei emboldened me for the rest of the week.

However, recent events have exposed a problem with ganbatte. It's gone beyond being a harmless old saw, platitude or banality. It's become at best a sop, at worst a destructive mantra or shibboleth. It creates a downward cycle into apathy in the speaker, indifference in the afflicted.
I hope the Japanese people will never stop to set an impressing example of patience and endurance to the world. :flowers:
But I also hope that they will not allow their political and economical elite to use those outstanding qualities against the interests of the whole nation. Protest and the resolution to face opposition may sometimes serve to save more lives than patience. :idea:

Last edited:
Among the survivors who spoke, Hiromi Kawaguchi of Iwate Prefecture lost his mother, wife and 4-year-old grandson. His family had celebrated his grandson's birthday just a month before the quake and tsunami.

"They say it was a natural disaster, but when I remember that day, tears well up in my eyes and I think that neither God nor the Buddha exist in this world," Kawaguchi said. "But we can't continue just being sad. . . . Although it may take time, I vow to the spirits of the deceased that we will move forward one step at a time toward reconstructing our hometown."

From Miyagi Prefecture was Eriko Okuda, whose parents and two children, including her son who had just gotten married and was expecting his first child, were killed in the tsunami. She recalled the anger, sadness and despair she felt after losing almost everyone in her family.

But there was one sign of hope — her daughter-in-law survived and gave birth last July.

"I don't think the sadness of losing loved ones will ever go away as long as you continue loving them. The bereaved families have no choice but to live with it for the rest of their lives," Okuda said.
"That is why we need to become stronger. . . . I found the light of hope in despair — my grandchild's growth has become my hope to live."
Japan Times

Last edited:
It's hard to believe it's already been a year since the disaster.

The Emperor looked frail, but very dignified.

It's hard to believe it's already been a year since the disaster.

The Emperor looked frail, but very dignified.

I agree about the Emperor, but when I watched the ceremony last night I actually thought the Empress looked even frailer.

:previous:
Now that you mention it, the Empress did look quite frail.

A very moving video, including a fragment of the Emperor's speech.
A nation stands still: Japan mourns one year on from earthquake which devastated country and caused nuclear meltdown
With a moment of silence, prayers and anti-nuclear rallies, Japan today marks one year since an earthquake and tsunami killed thousands and set off a radiation crisis that shattered public trust in atomic power and the nation's leaders.

Japanese Emperor Akihito to undergo fluid removal from chest

Fluids in the lungs is never good.
Depending of course on how much fluid there is and how irritating it is.

It reduces your lung capacity, and if you have to cough up fluid, which you inevitable will, it's also very tiring. It affects your sleep as well.
For a man who is old and already weakened by cancer and the recent operation it's extra serious.
There is also the added risk of developing a severe pneumonia. - And that's a major killer among older people.

I don't know the overall health of the Emperor. He is probably in pretty good health for his age. However even for much younger people the best cure, when having fluids in your lungs, is to take it slow and let the body take the time it needs to deal with it and let the medication take effect.

That the Emperor go public to deliver a speech, even if it's only for twenty minuttes, is a testament to his dedication, but wise? - I don't think so.

Unfortunately, you seem to be perfectly right. :sad:

Japanese Emperor Akihito, who underwent heart bypass surgery in February, will have fluid extracted from his chest for the second time, the palace said Monday.

The treatment will be conducted at the Imperial Household Hospital in the palace grounds on Tuesday morning, the agency said, DPA reported.
Trend

In the German press they say that it is very doubtful if the emperor will be able to travel to England in May for the Queen´s jubilee, as planned. :ermm:

Last edited:
I would actually be surprised if he ever intended to be in London for the Jubilee.

The German media say that the visit to GB has been planned a long time ago already and that the emperor is very much looking forward to it (here, for example).

Not that I would always rely on the German press for absolutely correct information about the imperial family, mind you. ;) The Japanese royals are definitely not high up on the priority list here and there are few German experts on Japan´s monarchy. I do not think that it is very probable that German journalists would bother to invent an engagement of the emperor´s, but a misunderstanding would, of course, be always possible.

We will probably soon get more information.

Last edited:
The German media say that the visit to GB has been planned a long time ago already and that the emperor is very much looking forward to it (here, for example).

Not that I would always rely on the German press for absolutely correct information about the imperial family, mind you. ;) The Japanese royals are definitely not high up on the priority list here and there are few German experts on Japan´s monarchy. I do not think that it is very probable that German journalists would bother to invent an engagement of the emperor´s, but a misunderstanding would, of course, be always possible.

We will probably soon get more information.

There are no German experts on the Japanese Monarchy,first.Second,German rags would actually make up any story about anything,including a non-existent visit to Elizabeth this may.If it's not in de Sud Deutsche or Frankfurter Algemeine you can use it straight for the cat litter.Third,what priority list?Some made up nonsense by whom.Japan is an important trade partner in any which way and no forum member,however cute,can nor will change that,ever.
And you did say that,denying that would earn you a seat in the Reichstag with Angela....grin...

No,no need to reply but check and double-check before you post any of this sort of no news.Thank you.Vielen Dank.And I stick with this regardless the rants.There IS nothing really worthwhile in the german press except the papers I mentioned above.A few good talkshows on like Maybritt Illner and Markus Lanz and that's that.The rest is highly overestimated.

Now,back to real life.

TM will receive a State Visit to Kuwait today.

Last edited:
:previous: Is this meant to be part of a serious conversation? If so, please give me a source for this statement:
There are no German experts on the Japanese Monarchy,first.
Second,German rags would actually make up any story about anything,including a non-existent visit to Elizabeth this may.If it's not in de Sud Deutsche or Frankfurter Algemeine you can use it straight for the cat litter.
Does that mean that you think that all German newspapers with the single exceptions of the Süddeutsche Zeitung and the Frankfurter Allgemeine are yellow press? If so, you hardly prove yourself an expert on German media.
Third,what priority list?Some made up nonsense by whom.Japan is an important trade partner in any which way and no forum member,however cute,can nor will change that,ever.
I have not said that Japan is not high on the priority list of the German media, I have been explicitly talking about the Japanese monarchy. I doubt that any German member of this forum would disagree with me in this point. But if they should, I´d be very much interested in the details of their opinion.
TM will start a State Visit to Kuwait today.
Which "real-life" information did you intend to convey by this sentence? Whom do you mean by TM? Their majesties the emperor and empress?
The Emir of Kuwait is presently on a visit to Japan, if it is this you wanted to say.
The Emperor is scheduled to meet Wednesday with Kuwait ruler Sheik Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah at the Imperial Palace, while Crown Prince Naruhito will host a welcoming ceremony and a banquet for the Kuwaiti ruler later in the day on behalf of the Emperor.
Japan Times

No need to answer if this was NOT meant as a serious contribution to the discussion, just as some sort of venting on a bad day.
But in this case, I´d strongly request you to next time vent your spleen on somebody else. I am not available for that sort of need.

Last edited:
Emperor has fluid drained from chest again

Emperor Akihito underwent treatment Tuesday to drain fluid from his chest for a second time due to complications following heart surgery last month, the Imperial Household Agency said. The procedure performed at the Imperial Household Hospital in the morning followed similar treatment March 7.

The Emperor has been experiencing shortness of breath during rehabilitation since he was discharged March 4 from University of Tokyo Hospital, where he underwent surgery Feb. 18.
Japan Times

The emperor underwent a similar treatment on March 7, having fluids extracted from the right of his chest. Despite the procedure, he has suffered shortness of breath during exercises, apparently due to fluids remaining in the left of his chest, according to the agency.
Mainichi

Last edited:

That's just to be expected and it will very likely happen again.

I am afraid you are right. Even more so as, like you have said before, the best thing with lung conditions is "to take it slow, let the body take the time it needs to deal with it and let the medication take effect". As it happens, that is exactly what the emperor refuses to do. Today, he received another treatment. Tomorrow, he will welcome a state
guest...:ermm:

Emperor, recuperating from chest treatment, meets Kuwaiti emir

Emperor Akihito met visiting Kuwaiti ruler Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah at the imperial palace on Wednesday, just a day after having fluid extracted from his chest for the second time following his heart bypass surgery in February.

The emperor, accompanied by his wife Empress Michiko, thanked the emir for wishing him a quick recovery, according to the Imperial Household Agency. After the audience, Emperor Akihito left for the Imperial Household Hospital for a checkup on his chest condition.
The Mainichi Daily News

Last edited:
I would actually be surprised if he ever intended to be in London for the Jubilee.

Why would you be surprised?
The Emperor is a Knight of the Garter, right?
PLus, the Olympics will be in London this year.

It seems to me to be very plausible that the Emperor had planned a visit, which now his health may force him to give up.

Japan in Uproar Over Censorship of Emperor's Anti-Nuclear Speech

Why did Japanese TV channels cut Emperor Akihito's address on the one-year anniversary of the Fukushima crisis?

There is a particularly sensitive accusation reverberating through online discussion boards and social media in Japan: that Emperor Akihito's speech on the one year anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami was censored on TV for his comments about the nuclear disaster at Fukushima. [...]

Unlike Prime Minister Noda, who never mentioned the nuclear crisis in his speech on the anniversary, the Emperor addressed it directly.
As this earthquake and tsunami caused the nuclear power plant accident, those living in areas designated as the danger zone lost their homes and livelihoods and had to leave the places they used to live. In order for them to live there again safely, we have to overcome the problem of radioactive contamination, which is a formidable task.
While this statement may seem more obvious than radical to outsiders, underneath the Imperial-grade Japanese understatement were two ideas that have become quietly explosive. First, he seemed to suggest that the nuclear crisis is not over, a "formidable task" yet to be overcome. This noticeably contradicts the government's official stance that Fukushima has achieved a cold shutdown and, for all practical purposes, the crisis is over. Second, it implies that it is not yet safe for people to return to areas stricken with high levels of radiation, at least not before the "formidable task" is "overcome." This, again, contradicts the government's position that it is now safe for people to return to almost all areas and that neither Tokyo Electric Power Company nor the national government are obliged to assist in long term evacuations. [...]

So many Japanese were shocked when TV media began cutting out the emperor's dramatic statement. Live daytime broadcasts of the event contained the whole speech and newspapers printed it in its entirety. But, by that evening, all of the major news programs aired edited versions of the speech without his nuclear comments, which also went unmentioned and undiscussed on the heavily watches news shows. The vast majority of Japanese, who don't watch TV news during the day, missed the comments entirely.

Blogs and chat-rooms quickly filled with angry accusations that TV networks were censoring an important communication by the Emperor to his people at a time when his guidance is most sought. [...]
"It's so disrespectful for the media to cut the most important part of His Majesty's speech, especially as he delivered it under such physical strain." [...]

By March 20, nine days after the emperor's speech, outraged Japanese held a demonstration in front of NHK, the State sponsored TV network, protesting the apparent censorship.

In fairness, news programs can't please everyone with their edits, and it would be unfair to accuse censorship at every disappointing broadcast decision. Still, it's hard to imagine why the TV networks would neither air nor even mention the emperor's obviously weighty opinion. Many skeptics in Japan suspect that the country's enormous nuclear energy industry, which is famous for its influence over Japan's politics and which has seen its business come to a near-standstill over public fears, may have played a role. After all, Tokyo Electric is one of Japanese TV's largest sources of revenue, and is tightly linked to the Japanese government, which sponsors some media here.
The Atlantic

Thanks to Democratic Underground for mentioning this article! :flowers:

Emperor and Empress on their way to the Akishino residence to attend a ceremony to celebrate the coming of age of Princess Mako on Saturday

The Atlantic

Thanks to Democratic Underground for mentioning this article! :flowers:

Emperor and Empress on their way to the Akishino residence to attend a ceremony to celebrate the coming of age of Princess Mako on Saturday

Auch! Talk about of a major screw up!

I thought speeches were more or less cleared beforehand so that no, shall we say, inconsistensies will arise.
This looks so much like an act of panic.
Surely this will backfire on the government, let alone the networks?

They have done it already before, censored the emperor, I mean. And, what is more, nobody has ever apologized for it (at least as far as I know).
The emperor once said that he felt "a certain kinship" to Korea as the mother of one of his predecessors was a Korean princess. Although this is a simple historical fact, Japanese newspapers obviously found it too embarrassing or too dangerous to talk about. The emperor´s speech was front-page news in Korea. But only two Japanese newspapers made short mention of it on their inside pages, the other Japanese media completely ignored it.

Japanese media usually shy away from addressing controversial topics, for further details see also this post of mine. And there is reason to believe that the emperor is well aware of what he is doing. :flowers:

Concerning Fukushima, I think it´s sort of bad luck for them that the emperor is a man of science. You cannot fool him concerning radioactivity. And he might well be angry that they are trying to fool the nation...

I suppose that the government will try to ignore the protests as long as at all possible.

Last edited:
:previous: Can the media, the government and the establishment, for lack of a better word, get away with that?

The eartquake and the tsunami revealed a number of unfortunate things and as far as I understood, it genuinely shook the common Japanese's trust in the authorities.
A significant number of people must have seen the uncut version of the Emperor's speech and now it has been "edited". Won't the Japanese go: Hey, what's going on?

So far I prefer to believe this has just been a panicky overreaction, but...

For the sake of it, if, repeat if, there is something that has been "trivialised" in connection with the disaster, can you imagine the Emperor going out and say it?
It would of course be an extreme thing to do, but how are they going to silence the Emperor? Cut the sound? That would be just as extreme.

It has been clear for a rather long time that there is mismanagement concerning the Fukushima disaster and that the political elite invests their energy into downplaying the problem and silencing the people instead of taking action to help the victims. The problem is imo that (not unlike in my own country, by the way, although we are getting better) there is not any real tradition of civil protest in Japan. A lot of Japanese know that they are being fooled but they will suffer stoically, if not silently. It is a highly cherished virtue in Japan to bravely endure hardships. Things have to get very bad to really drive people onto the streets.

The emperor, although I do think that he has a clear purpose in what he does (as I said before, I think that even his New Year poem concerning temporary housing had a hidden political meaning) would never go so far as to openly meddle with politics. In the Atlantic article, they comment: “It's impossible to say for sure whether the emperor intended to weigh in on two of the country's most sensitive policy debates.“ While I do not doubt for a minute that this was exactly his intention, that comment is typical insofar as Akihito would always make sure that there is no "hard evidence" against him, so to speak.

A New York Times article that was written in 1990 on occasion of Akihito´s enthronement imo still sums things up very well:
Behind the scenes, however, associates say that unlike his father, Akihito bridles at being overly dictated to. They say he takes an active interest in what he is told to say on diplomatic occasions, demanding explanations or changes to reflect his feelings. ''He doesn't want to give the impression he's a puppet,'' an official says. […]

Japanese rightists want to restore imperial sovereignty over the Government and armed forces. Most of the more than 800 right-wing groups in Japan limit their activities to sending out sound trucks blaring patriotic music and speeches denouncing the left. […] People around the Emperor say he resents being used by this small group of Emperor worshipers, especially the extremists. The rightists, in turn, are said to be less than happy with his stated support for the Japanese Constitution, calling him a ''closet pacifist'' and leftist tainted by Christian influence.
Akihito's opinion about such matters has never been stated explicitly but gleaned from reading between the lines of his statements, and from keeping track of such gestures as the visit to Nagasaki. [Akihito demonstratively visited the Mayor of Nagasaki, Motoshima, who had been shot by a right-wing extremist after he had said that, according to him, Emperor Hirohito bore responsibility for the war.] ''The position of the Emperor is to perform his duties according to the Constitution,'' he once told reporters, ''and I believe I should refrain from making remarks involving arguments relating to the Constitution.''

But there is little doubt among the people who know the Emperor best about where he stands. ''He is very much a member of his generation, a very strong pacifist, a strong liberal and a believer in democracy,'' says Edwin O. Reischauer, the former United States Ambassador to Japan and a longtime acquaintance. As evidence of Akihito's pacifism, for example, an insider at the palace recalled a conversation in which someone described nuclear weapons as a ''necessary evil,'' only to be lectured curtly by the Emperor about the devastation they cause.
So, although the emperor has his ways of making his opinion known, he would under no circumstances openly criticize the government. With him, there would never be a need to cut the sound.

But I think this is an instance that makes it easy to demonstrate the difference between the emperor and his eldest son. The crown prince is a serene, mild-mannered man and has always made a point of keeping out of politics. For example, he has not once made a remark in public that would give a hint concerning his opinion about the succession question (although it is to be supposed that he must have one, considering that it is about his daughter succeeding him or not). But there is this press conference in his past on which he dared to say that his wife had been badly treated by the court, thereby breaking all accepted rules. From his point of view, it was a desperate measure as he was fighting to protect his wife´s life. But since then, nobody can ever be absolutely sure what the prince could be capable of. If he ever openly commented on politics and on such a controversial issue to boot, he would inevitably cause a severe constitutional crisis, and, of course, he knows that. But if, just if, he had to fear that the government would be going to send ten thousands of people into the still contaminated area to die there a slow and cruel death, maybe he would again decide that this is a desperate situation that requires desperate measures. Nobody can be absolutely sure of what he would do.

And that is imo, in a nutshell, the main reason why some people in Japan would be very happy indeed if the crown prince stepped down and let his brother succeed his father.

:previous: Your insight is as always interesting and well founded, ChiaraC :flowers:

But do people actually take notice, when the Emperor "speaks between the lines"?
And isn't there a difference this time in the sense that the figures for the radiation level around the Fukushima plant are "interesting"? Radiation being something that can really freak out people. Even famously stoic Japanese?

I wonder if the establishment misjudge Crown Prince Naruhito. Remember King Juan Carlos? He was put in place by the Franco regime. An amiable man who wouldn't rock the boat. A man of the system. - Well, he was, but not of the old system.

Emperor, recuperating from surgery, to continue resting in April

Emperor Akihito will continue resting for the time being as he recuperates from a heart bypass operation he underwent in February, the Imperial Household Agency said Friday.

The agency has not given a clear timeline for the 78-year-old emperor's resumption of duties, which have been delegated to Crown Prince Naruhito while the emperor recovers at the Imperial Palace.
The Mainichi Daily News

:previous: Your insight is as always interesting and well founded, ChiaraC :flowers:
Thank you very much! :blush: :flowers:

But do people actually take notice, when the Emperor "speaks between the lines"?
It depends, of course, on which people. It seems that many Japanese are not overly interested in the imperial family which probably also means that they usually won´t take much notice of what they say. But the video message of the emperor last year was an exception. As Japan blogger Michael Cucek remarked, “pretty much alone among public institutions, the Imperial Family has performed flawlessly since the disaster of 3/11.“ The emperor´s speeches concerning the disaster got a lot of attention, nationally as well as internationally.
The emperor went on television in an unprecedented address to the people, calling on them to work together to overcome the "difficult times." All the royals, including Masako, have visited the disaster area more than once.

Should Naruhito ascend the throne in the near future, he may oversee recovery from the crisis, said Kodama [Miiko Kodama, a professor at Musashi University in Tokyo]. Support for environmental conservation may also be a priority.

Simply being there in a time of change could also be enough.
"They serve in some intangible but still significant sense as a unifying force," said Ruoff [Kenneth Ruoff, director of the Centre for Japanese Studies at Portland State University and author of a book on Emperor Hirohito]. "So in one sense, when he came on television during the earthquake, that was the quintessential sense of him playing that sort of unifying role."
Reuters

And when it comes to “reading between the lines” I am sure that most Japanese will be much more capable of doing that than Westerners (that is, if they pay attention to the emperor´s words in the first place). It is part of the Japanese culture to express things, especially potentially controversial things, in an indirect manner. Without an explanation, Westerners would hardly understand why it was so sensational that the crown prince would accuse unnamed persons of having “negated his wife´s personality and career”. In contrast, the Japanese journalists who were present at the press conference understood immediately that the prince´s statement would create a scandal.

And isn't there a difference this time in the sense that the figures for the radiation level around the Fukushima plant are "interesting"? Radiation being something that can really freak out people. Even famously stoic Japanese?
I have no idea what it will finally take for the Japanese to resist their political and social elites. But the problem could be in this case that the victims who live in temporary housing are not in a position to pull off an effective political movement. On the other hand, the Japanese who do not come from the disaster area may believe the government´s lies. After all, it is human to ask less questions when it is not really your problem. So they may choose to believe that those who say that the governments figures are wrong are just being “troublemakers” which is a rather common reaction in Japan. You just do not rock the boat there.
However, quite frankly, I think it is very hard to predict what will happen in this case. I am no expert concerning radiation, and I have not really checked in detail the reports about the level of radiation at Fukushima. I do have the impression that if they did send people back, it would become clear in a relatively short space of time that humans cannot live there without lasting and severe damage to their health, and in particular, to that of their offspring. But I may be completely wrong.
I wonder if the establishment misjudge Crown Prince Naruhito. Remember King Juan Carlos? He was put in place by the Franco regime. An amiable man who wouldn't rock the boat. A man of the system. - Well, he was, but not of the old system.
Actually, when I came to be more familiar with the Japan´s monarchy, I have felt strongly reminded of King Juan Carlos, too. :flowers:

We have the very interesting situation in Japan that the monarchy as an institution is (considering its history as well as its fiercest defenders) undemocratic or even antidemocratic (see for example the story about the severed finger). There is this famous quote by Herbert Bix who wrote Pulitzer-price winning “Hirohito and the making of modern Japan”: “The monarchy is a brake on any hopes of deepening Japanese democracy and making it real. As long as it exists, democracy has quotes around it.” On the other hand, the individuals who occupy the throne/will occupy it in the near future are clearly democrats. In the above mentioned article, the New York Times wrote: “If anything, Akihito's well-known distrust of ultranationalists is seen as a kind of guarantee against their ever trying to overthrow the Government in his name.” (I have once written a blog that deals exactly with that paradox, to be found here.) While Japan´s ultranationalists do not seem at all prone to give up the monarchy as their main symbol, it is clear that, at present, it is them who profit the most from the fact that the emperor is not allowed to meddle with politics (not even to the degree that, for example, the Queen is allowed to do that). All their hopes rest on the emperor keeping his mouth shut...:whistling:

I have read an interesting article about the granddaughter of Japan’s wartime leader Hideki Tojo, Yuko Tojo. She speaks too openly about the traditionalist ways of thinking as to be an official leader of the ultranationalist forces in Japan, but I think it rather likely that although those leaders would probably be too clever to say that sort of things in public, this may be more or less what they secretly think: Tojo blandy refutes the idea that the tenno is a symbol of Japan (that has been taught in the postwar period) as insulting. According to her, "He is the essence of Japan (kokka genshi). He is nothing at all like a US president. He is Japan." But when asked about the present emperor´s remarks regarding his Korean roots she quite clearly disapproves of his attitude in the matter: "I know nothing about his roots, but I was astonished that he said such a thing. His majesty [meaning Emperor Hirohito] would never have said such a thing. He knew the limits of what to say. The current Crown Prince (Naruhito) chatters away about everything. As the national essence (kokka genshi) he has to know what to say. He has to maintain the dignity [igen] of the Imperial Family."

Personally, I find Tojo´s statements absurd to the point of comedy. :lol: Obviously, “the essence of Japan” would be unable to do anything „un-Japanese“. (Otherwise the term does not make any sense whatsoever.) Tojo would have the choice to either call the tenno the “essence of Japan” which would deprive her of any right to criticize his actions - even if she should be unable to fathom their wisdom... ;) OR Tojo could say that the persons who are sitting on and ascending to the chrysanthemum throne are quite simply human beings (whom she would be free to criticize). But then it would obviously not be insulting to call them a mere symbol of Japan. Tojo, in contrast, insists on having her cake and eating it at the same time. The reason for this is, of course, that without the backing of the superhuman aura of the tenno, Tojo could not claim her opinions to be any more than just her opinions that are as important or unimportant as the opinions of everybody else. By styling herself as the dutiful servant of a mystical imperial essence, she can uphold her pretensions on infallibility.

It is just bad luck for her and makes it clearly visible how contradictory her position is that the actual occupier of the chrysanthemum throne does not happen to share her
views...:D

Last edited:
The Emperor, who underwent heart bypass surgery in mid-February, will get more time to rest due to a buildup of fluid in his chest, the Imperial Household Agency said.
It is happening again, just like you predicted, Muhler. :ermm:

The Emperor, along with the Empress, will rest at the Imperial villa in Hayama, Kanagawa Prefecture, early this month.

The agency will decide when the Emperor can resume his official duties based on the results of a medical exam following his return to Tokyo.
Yomiuri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom