The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko take a look at fish on display at a museum near Lake Biwa in Kusatsu, central Japan, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2007. Since the 1960s, bluegill fish introduced from overseas have taken over Japanese lakes and rivers, wiping out native species and wrecking the ecosystem. In a rare expression of contrition, Emperor Akihito confessed this week to bringing the fish home in 1960 as a gift from the United States in hopes of cultivating them as food.

Photo from AP via Yahoo

Old 12-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Emperor Akihito celebrates his 74th birthday on Dec. 23, 2007.

Birthday video and photos provided by Imperial Household Agency

Questions by the Press to be answered by His Majesty on the Occasion of His Birthday, 23 December 2007

Article
Emperor Akihito turns 74, stays quiet on family matters
Emperor Akihito gave a rare reaction to a media query ahead of his 74th birthday Sunday, shunning talking in detail about his family, including daughter-in-law Crown Princess Masako, who is suffering from a stress-induced illness, saying that any further comments may again be "misinterpreted."In a customary pre-birthday news conference Thursday, the Emperor, a biologist by training, repeated his regret about the rampant breeding of bluegill in Lake Biwa, a fish that has devastated the ecology of the nation's biggest lake since he brought it over from the United States half a century ago. He also urged people to eat it to curb over-breeding, saying it is a "tasty fish."................
Emperor Akihito turns 74, stays quiet on family matters | The Japan Times Online

Old 12-23-2007, 02:15 AM
Aristocracy
Picture of the Month Representative – Japan

LOL...you beat me to it.

Emperor Akihito turns 74, stays quiet on family matters | The Japan Times Online
Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Commoner

May Their Imperial Majesties live long! I respect the emperor from the bottom of my heart, but will not eat any fish from that polluted lake. Sorry.

Empress Michiko's kimono of sakuranezu color
is not a kind of gorgeous, but sedate and very beautiful, so matching autumnal leaves in the imperial garden. I think the empress is always elegant, but she looks most elegant when in kimono.

Sadness is that Princess Kiko could not attend at the ceremony for her health problem, but good news are that she is getting better and that Princess Masako attended at the ceremony of felicitation at Chowaden all three times at least.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

His Majesty the Emperor's New Year Thoughts 2008

Year-end Presentation of Five Waka Poems by His Majesty the Emperor
2007, Nineteenth Year of Heisei

a news article about it
Old 01-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Empress Michiko experiences dizziness
Japan Today - News - Empress Michiko experiences dizziness
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I'm very worried about Empress Michiko's health. She seemed to be improving and now this...Poor woman, she is so sweet and good, and she must endure all this.

Vanesa.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Courtier

I hope she get's better.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Nobility

News video: http://news.tbs.co.jp/20080116/newse...ye3756290.html

Direct tranlation by babel fish:

As for the Imperial Household Agency, the empress this month after 10th, morning, the occasion where it occurred it announced that there was a thing which "the scotoma" the plural times, is felt. In addition, 1 year ago you bled from the intestinal wall, several days recuperated, but it means that also the condition which is similar to this time was seen. Because of this it means in the future, adjusting such that the official business is shortened. (16 Jan 2008, 17:28)
Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Nobility

News video : http://news.tbs.co.jp/20080113/newse...ye3753659.html
The empress, is appreciated the empress who looks at the animated picture which with the other prayer is opened the "Japanese paper butterfly picture" in Tokyo & Ueno, "Japanese paper butterfly picture" spreading/displaying was appreciated. The "Japanese paper butterfly picture", crumbling up the Japanese paper of of the hand favorite it was dyed to various colors, it pastes, being something which is finished in the work, focusing on the middle to elderly-aged woman it is said that the love house 100000 is in entire country. At 10 o'clock in the morning in the empress who arrives the "Ueno forest fine arts museum" appreciated the work of 30 point remainders which are chosen from entire country. The empress, "when you draw with the paints, is the similar feeling don't you think?", "giving the material feeling whose tenderness of the fiber of the Japanese paper is good, now the shank" and so on, they were the circumstances which the picture, to a considerable degree are admired to workmanship. (13 day 13:01)
Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Nobility

News video: http://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye3760001.html

Straight translation from babel fish:
Last week, the Imperial Household Agency, announced that you can see the condition "of the scotoma" of the plural times and so on in the empress, but the empress is feverish from the 20th night, assuming that a state where feeling is not superior is continued on the 21st, the official business inside the Imperial Palace which is planned you were absent. On the one hand, last week, in the "acutely conjunctivitis" the preschool, also Aiko which has gone to bed, being 21st morning, continues from the fact that condition of cold such as heat generation of 37 degree level appears, and the preschool it means that you went to bed. (21th Jan, 2008 1:37)
Old 01-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
News video: http://news.tbs.co.jp/20080116/newse...ye3756290.html

As for the Imperial Household Agency, the empress this month after 10th, morning, the occasion where it occurred it announced that there was a thing which "the scotoma" the plural times, is felt. In addition, 1 year ago you bled from the intestinal wall, several days recuperated, but it means that also the condition which is similar to this time was seen. Because of this it means in the future, adjusting such that the official business is shortened. (16 Jan 2008, 17:28)
What's "scotoma"?Is this a physicall illness? Some time ago, I've read that Empress Michiko suffered from stress and that such condition would make her intestines walls to bleed, and have some ulcerations inside the mouth? What is this, now? I'm confused.

And I repeat. I hope the Empress could improve as soon as she can.

Vanesa.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa View Post
What's "scotoma"?Is this a physicall illness? Some time ago, I've read that Empress Michiko suffered from stress and that such condition would make her intestines walls to bleed, and have some ulcerations inside the mouth? What is this, now? I'm confused.

And I repeat. I hope the Empress could improve as soon as she can.

Vanesa.
Vanesa, scotoma, according to Wikipedia, is an area or island of loss or impairment of visual acuity surrounded by a field of normal or relatively well-preserved vision.

People with scotoma see black dots or a patch of blackness in the centre of their vision or a black border.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Commoner

The babel fish might have had a mistake. Empress Michiko had some memai (目まい). Memai means "dizziness". Scotoma is anten (暗点) in Japanese. She had a fever, but the fever has gone.

Empress Michiko is a hard worker for her age. I wish that she will have some rest, but considering her strong sense of duty, she may perhaps try to attend at many rituals and ceremonies. Princess Kiko has learned a lot of protocols of rituals and ceremonies from Empress Michiko, so she will be a good supporter for the empress in many occasions. I send Empress Michiko my best wishes for recovery.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Japan's imperial couple may cut duties | International | Reuters

Health woes and family rift hit Japanese Royal Family - Times Online
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Israel's Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and his wife Aliza are greeted by Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo February 27, 2008. REUTERS

4 (AFP)
Old 03-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Japan's Emperor Akihito smiles as he arrives at the National Science Museum to attend an international symposium on systematics and diversity of fishes in Tokyo March 3, 2008.REUTERS

Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko arrive at a hotel to attend the Japan Society centennial gala dinner in Tokyo March 4, 2008.

Photos from Reuters and AP via Yahoo

Croatian President Stjepan Mesic (L) meets Japan's Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo March 5, 2008.
Photo from Reuters via Yahoo
Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Courtier

I can´t open those photo's. It has a messagen saying that "the image it's not available"!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

the photos should be visable now :)
Old 03-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I hope Empress Michiko only have stress. If scotoma is spots of black in normal vision the prognosis is very bad...This people could become blind as far as I read. I hope the Empress wouldn't suffer from scotoma. She seems to be a strong woman. I hope she could keep with her duties. I agrre that princess Kiko is a goos support for her.

Please, Mandyy...Keep us updated about Empress Michiko's health.

Vanesa.

Tags
emperor akihito, empress michiko