The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

This handout picture taken 23 April 2007, released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan shows Prince Albert II of Monaco (L) greeting Japanese Emperor Akihito, as Empress Michiko (R) looks on upon his arrival for a luncheon at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Old 04-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia
This handout picture taken 23 April 2007, released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan shows Prince Albert II of Monaco (L) greeting Japanese Emperor Akihito, as Empress Michiko (R) looks on upon his arrival for a luncheon at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Thanks for the photos wonderful to see him in this light. Adds dignity to the occassion.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Japan's emperor and empress take 10-day trip

Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko will have a 10-day trip in late May to Sweden, Britain and the three Baltic countries.

Japan's emperor and empress take 10-day trip - Pravda.Ru
Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

It is great that the Emperor and Empress be received by The Queen of the UK again. I know the couple had paid a State Visit to the UK before in 1998, so it might only be an official visit, but hope to see QEII with them at the events celebrating Linnaeus as well.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 05-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Empress Michiko arrives at an exhibition entitled "Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) de Saint-Exupery" in Tokyo May 2, 2007. The exhibition features a history of the classic novel and its author, Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Japan's Royal Family on Yahoo! News Photos
Old 05-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Emperor Akihito talks with a boy during a visit with Empress Michiko to Yakumo nursery school in Tokyo May 10, 2007

Old 05-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I'm relieved the Empress looks so well, having being so sick only a little time ago. Good for her!

Vanesa.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Imperial couple show off gentle grandparenting skills

Emperor, empress looking forward to 1st visit to Baltic states

Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko said Monday they are looking forward to their upcoming 10-day trip to Sweden, Britain and the three Baltic states, and especially the latter countries because of their history of hardships under Soviet rule.

"I observed with great interest" the 1990-1991 period during which Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania broke away from the Soviet Union and gained independence, the 73-year-old emperor told a news conference ahead of the couple's overseas trip from May 21. "I would like to deepen my understanding of their cultures and strive to strengthen mutual understanding and friendly ties by looking back on the history of their hardships," he said.......
Emperor, empress looking forward to 1st visit to Baltic states

Japan's Empress dreams of 'coat of invisibility'

Japan's Empress Michiko, who recently recovered from a stress-related illness, said on Monday she dreamed of becoming invisible so that she could visit exhibitions and browse at bookshops without bothering those around her.

Michiko, 72, wearing a terracotta dress and pearls, was speaking at a news conference with her husband, 73-year-old Emperor Akihito, a week ahead of their departure on a trip to Britain, Sweden and the Baltic States.
"Japanese fairy stories sometimes mention a kind of coat that makes you disappear when you put it on," Michiko told reporters, saying that she would find it useful for trips around Tokyo.
"The palace staff and police might be a bit worried, but I think they would probably just tell me to take care," she added, saying that she would like to visit an interesting exhibition in Tokyo without inconveniencing others with traffic controls. "Then I would like to visit the secondhand bookshops of Kanda and Jimbocho where I often went when I was a student and spend a lot of time reading there," she added, referring to the traditional bookselling areas of the city.................
link

Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko smile as they attend a news conference ahead of their trip to Britain, Sweden and Baltic states at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo May 14, 2007.

Photos from AP and Reuters via Yahoo
Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here's a somewhat more downbeat version of the "invisibility coat" press conference:

Sad, Tormented Life of the Empress Who Dreams of an Invisibility Cloak

"Empress Michiko of Japan has spoken of the “sorrow and anxiety” she experienced as the first commoner to marry into Japanese royalty, and of her fantasy of donning a magic coat of invisibility to escape the constraints of life within the Imperial Family.
Her remarks give a remarkable insight into a woman who has suffered repeated nervous breakdowns as a result of bullying criticism first from her mother-in-law, the late Empress, and later from rightwing traditionalists dismayed at the “modernising” of the world’s oldest hereditary monarchy.
Seated alongside Emperor Akihito, at a press conference before a visit to Britain later this month, the Empress spoke of the sense of inadequacy and self-doubt that has haunted her and the prayers she whispers in times of pain and stress.
“After I married I experienced difficulties in my new life every day amid many demands and expectations,” she said in a prepared answer to a question submitted by foreign journalists. “I never expressed it in terms of the word ‘pressure’. I just felt sad and sorry for not living up to people’s expectations and demands.....""

Sad, tormented life of the Empress who dreams of an invisibility cloak-News-World-Asia-TimesOnline
Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Aristocracy

She's really a strong and tough woman. Not only physically but also mentally. With such kind of illness, she always give her best to her family and country.
She's a very lovely and supportive mother-in-law, especially to CP Masako who also have similar problems.
I hope both of them will be better and happier from now on.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Aristocracy
Picture of the Month Representative – Japan

Heres another article about the Emperor and thee Empress.

I really admire the Empress for putting up with all the harships through the years.

Emperor craves long walks; Empress invisibility | The Japan Times Online
Old 05-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

where can i find the thread/s of the state visit/s by the couple to a few European countries?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Courtier

What a sad story about the Empress.... I can't believe the IHA allowed her to say such things. Maybe the IHA is softening its attitude (wishful thinking)? Why the former aristocracy class has power over the Empress is beyond me.... I'd say, it's good that they were stripped of their titles and power, otherwise the Imperial Family would be so much more chaotic with them 'officially' around!

IMHO, the Empress is still beautiful unlike what the article has said. Beautiful, and yes, elegant!

Kindness is the magic elixir of love - The Practice of Kindness
Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
where can i find the thread/s of the state visit/s by the couple to a few European countries?
Threads about state visits to countries are found in the host country's forum.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Translation of the respsonse by their Imperial Majesties of the press conference held on May 14, 2007

from Imperial Household Agency Homepage
Old 06-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

June 11, 2007.
The Emperor and Empress today in Tokyo.
Pic from JIJI press

Emperor Akihito's top aide Makoto Watanabe of the Imperial Household Agency will retire soon and be replaced by Yutaka Kawashima, a former vice foreign minister and now the agency's head of court ceremonies, sources close to the issue said Monday.....
Emperor's top aide Watanabe to be replaced by Kawashima
Old 06-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen shakes hands with Japan's Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo June 14, 2007.
Photos from Reuters via Yahoo
Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kawashima promoted to emperor's top aide
Yutaka Kawashima was promoted Friday to be Emperor Akihito's top aide as grand chamberlain at the Imperial Household Agency, succeeding 71-year-old Makoto Watanabe who retired the same day.

The promotion of Kawashima, 65, a former vice foreign minister and the agency's grand master of ceremonies, was endorsed at a Cabinet meeting. Koichi Haraguchi, 66, a senior Foreign Ministry bureaucrat and former top negotiator for normalizing ties with North Korea, was appointed to take over Kawashima's post as head of court ceremonies...............
Kawashima promoted to emperor's top aide

Photo of Makoto Watanabe from JIJI press during his retirement press conference.

Japan's Empress Michiko speaks as she looks at "The Annunciation", a painting by Leonardo da Vinci, at the exhibition of "The Mind of Leonardo - The Universal Genius at Work" at Tokyo National Museum in Tokyo June 17, 2007. REUTERS/Issei Kato (JAPAN)
Photos from AP via Yahoo news

The Emperor and Empress in Tokyo on June 18, 2007.
Photo from JIJI press
Old 06-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wonder if this guy is any relation of Princess Kiko (formerly Kiko Kawashima).
Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I think the name "Kawashima" is pretty common in Japan (any Japanese around here?) There was an aristocratic family who beared this name . If you does remember, there was a Chinese princess named Eastern-Jewel who was a pro-japanese spy, adopted by a Japanese aristocrat, Mr. Kawashima. She became an ardent pro-Japanese and took the name of "Yoshiko Kawashima". I don't think that princess Kiko is related to THIS Kawashima family...Or maybe she is?

Vanesa.

Tags
emperor akihito, empress michiko