The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Aristocracy
Picture of the Month Representative – Japan

Obviously things have change very little since the first half of the 20th century. One would think that such a technologically advanced country as Japan would be more open to change than this. Empress Michiko had already suffered as Crown Princess, now as Empress. This is exactly what is happening to Crown Princess Masako, and I suspect, unless some changes are made, will go through the samething as Empress Michiko when the times come.

As for Akishino, he really isnt helping at all. Having third child and a boy at that, just kick the Crown Princely family out of the way is just making it worse. And the attitude is just going overboard. To be honest, I think he's the black sheep of the flock.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsfire8
Obviously things have change very little since the first half of the 20th century. One would think that such a technologically advanced country as Japan would be more open to change than this. Empress Michiko had already suffered as Crown Princess, now as Empress. This is exactly what is happening to Crown Princess Masako, and I suspect, unless some changes are made, will go through the samething as Empress Michiko when the times come.

As for Akishino, he really isnt helping at all. Having third child and a boy at that, just kick the Crown Princely family out of the way is just making it worse. And the attitude is just going overboard. To be honest, I think he's the black sheep of the flock.
What? The emperor asked Akishino and the Crown Prince to try again. And reports are that Masako has actually been doing better since the little boy was born.

And, From the little bit I read Akishino is most certainly not the black sheep of the family. Akishino even arranged his own sister's marriage. If anything Akishino may be the rock.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Technological advances doesn't means that a country must change its traditions. This is a very delicate thing. Only Japanese people must decide about what they really wants of their Imperial Family. This is not related to us, foreigns. We may discuss issues and propose what we'll like for Japan ourselves, but actually this doesn't counts. And if Japanese people wants thing keeping like they are , we must not object it. If all countries were the same in culture and traditions our world will be terribiling boring...Actually, world is beginning to be boring ...

I do not wish to see Empress Michiko nor Crownprincess Masako suffering. This is out of question. But I wouldn't see Prince Akishino's family having a bad time , either. If he is "guilty" of having a son, I think he can do anything about it. Prince Hisahito is already born and must have a nice childhood, as well of Princess Aiko. It is unjust to made up rivals from the two Imperial brothers (Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino) and ennemies the two Imperial Princesses (Masako and Kiko). I hope they are not. Some posters seems to be angry to Princess Kiko for a baby boy was born from her, and others couldn't hide that they hate the poor thing just for he is a boy.

We can't push Japan for they changes the succesion rules. This is a japanese affair, and in any case, Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino are not guilty of anything.

Vanesa.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

In this photo released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan, Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, left, and his wife, Chitravadee, right, speak with Japanese Emperor Akihito, third from left, and Empress Michiko, third from right, respectively during their audience at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, Thursday, April 5, 2007. Surayud was on his official visit to Japan, marking the 120th anniversary of Japan-Thai diplomatic relations. Interpreters are unidentified.

Photo from AP via Yahoo

Japanese Empress Michiko, left, listens to Tamayo Iimura, curator of Meguro Museum, explain as she visits an exhibition, 'Illustration for Children in Czech and its Relation with Animation Films,' in Tokyo Friday, April 6, 2007. This is the empress' first public appearance since she took breaks from her official duties after suffering from a wide array of symptoms stemming from severe stress.

Photos from AP via Yahoo
Old 04-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa
Technological advances doesn't means that a country must change its traditions. This is a very delicate thing. Only Japanese people must decide about what they really wants of their Imperial Family. This is not related to us, foreigns. We may discuss issues and propose what we'll like for Japan ourselves, but actually this doesn't counts. And if Japanese people wants thing keeping like they are , we must not object it. If all countries were the same in culture and traditions our world will be terribiling boring...Actually, world is beginning to be boring ...

Vanesa.
I agree. Also, the Japanese royal family "modernized" when they allowed commoners to marry into their family, and well so far that hasn't gone so well. 2 out 3 women have had mental breakdowns. And the one who didn't have a breakdown isn't Empress/or going to be empress.

I think that people need to ask if the royal family is actually ready for Aiko to be empress. And I think that is a legitimate question. Seeing as Aiko's grandmother and mother have both been driven to mental breakdowns, and that's just from marrying the Emperor/ Crown Prince. One has to ask what added pressure would be on Aiko if she was responsible for both carrying the future Emperor and being emperor. Added to the pressure of being the first female emperor in ages. Yes, female rulers have worked in the past, but female rulers were never responsible for actually producing the heir/in and of themselves, while being empress.

There is already a history of mental problems on both sides of Aiko's family. And people in the name of "gender equality" could be wishing for a terrible fate on this young little girl.

I'm not saying that Japan should never have a female empress. But I also think that perhaps there actually has to be some baby steps. Like perhaps they could first work on making sure that the next crown prince's wife, isn't driven to mental breakdowns. I just think that the situation with the Empress, and the Crown Princess suggest that there are a lot of things the royal family could work on before, introducing more changes, when they haven't even adjusted to the changes they already introduced.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekalc
What? The emperor asked Akishino and the Crown Prince to try again. And reports are that Masako has actually been doing better since the little boy was born.
Quote:

And, From the little bit I read Akishino is most certainly not the black sheep of the family. Akishino even arranged his own sister's marriage. If anything Akishino may be the rock.
That maybe true (both Masako getting better after the birth & Akishino arranging his sister's marriage) but dont you think there is something a little odd about it? Im Pretty sure (correct me if Im wrong) that both Naruhito and Akishino basically looked for their own wives on their own, yet it takes someone to look for a husband for Sayako?

Quote:
Quote:

I do not wish to see Empress Michiko nor Crown princess Masako suffering. This is out of question. But I wouldn't see Prince Akishino's family having a bad time , either. If he is "guilty" of having a son, I think he can do anything about it. Prince Hisahito is already born and must have a nice childhood, as well of Princess Aiko. It is unjust to made up rivals from the two Imperial brothers (Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino) and enemies the two Imperial Princesses (Masako and Kiko). I hope they are not. Some posters seems to be angry to Princess Kiko for a baby boy was born from her, and others couldn't hide that they hate the poor thing just for he is a boy.

We can't push Japan for they changes the succession rules. This is a Japanese affair, and in any case, Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino are not guilty of anything.
I agree with you, I personally don’t have anything against Hisahito. I think he's a cute kid. I'm just a little miffed at all the tabloids have been going on about the rivalries between the 2 families. If anything, I'm just a little suspicious of the timing, that’s all. I'm not at all blaming either sides of anything just wondering if it was at all planed.

Quote:
I agree. Also, the Japanese royal family "modernized" when they allowed commoners to marry into their family, and well so far that hasn't gone so well. 2 out 3 women have had mental breakdowns. And the one who didn't have a breakdown isn't Empress/or going to be empress.

I think that people need to ask if the royal family is actually ready for Aiko to be empress. And I think that is a legitimate question. Seeing as Aiko's grandmother and mother have both been driven to mental breakdowns, and that's just from marrying the Emperor/ Crown Prince. One has to ask what added pressure would be on Aiko if she was responsible for both carrying the future Emperor and being emperor. Added to the pressure of being the first female emperor in ages. Yes, female rulers have worked in the past, but female rulers were never responsible for actually producing the heir/in and of themselves, while being empress.

There is already a history of mental problems on both sides of Aiko's family. And people in the name of "gender equality" could be wishing for a terrible fate on this young little girl.

I'm not saying that Japan should never have a female empress. But I also think that perhaps there actually has to be some baby steps. Like perhaps they could first work on making sure that the next crown prince's wife, isn't driven to mental breakdowns. I just think that the situation with the Empress, and the Crown Princess suggest that there are a lot of things the royal family could work on before, introducing more changes, when they haven't even adjusted to the changes they already introduced.
I cant say that I completely agree with you, but you do have some good points. I agree that some baby steps are needed to change the system, perhaps lessen the pressure put on the Imperial family. All I'm saying that the Japanese need to consider some alternatives. As for putting all the pressure on Aiko, I agree that it may not be a good idea to do so, but what about putting pressure of fathering a heir to the throne on Hisahito's shoulders, and he's only a few months old?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Im Pretty sure (correct me if Im wrong) that both Naruhito and Akishino basically looked for their own wives on their own, yet it takes someone to look for a husband for Sayako?

I'm not at all blaming either sides of anything just wondering if it was at all planed.

I cant say that I completely agree with you, but you do have some good points. I agree that some baby steps are needed to change the system, perhaps lessen the pressure put on the Imperial family. All I'm saying that the Japanese need to consider some alternatives. As for putting all the pressure on Aiko, I agree that it may not be a good idea to do so, but what about putting pressure of fathering a heir to the throne on Hisahito's shoulders, and he's only a few months old?
Even in the present day arranged marriages are quite common in Japan amongst ordinary people particularly once both males and females start hitting their late 30's. There's a chance that Sayako's marriage was arranged as she was 35 and unmarried. Akishino played the matchmaker, Yoshiki Kuroda was a university friend of his, the right age and unmarried. Akishino provided the place for them to meet then it was up to the 2 of them to decide if they would continue meeting. That's the way the Japanese matching making happens, if the couple decide they have nothing in common after meeting they go their separate ways. Sayako was given the freedom to find her own partner but obviously didn't, arrived at the age of 35 and decided to go the match making route.

The Japanese are considering alternatives to the succession, but it doesn't make for sensational storylines to read rational comments. The pragmatists have already stated that Hisahito's birth hasn't solved the problem of succession in the Imperial Family it's only delayed it. People are realistic and know that a solitary Emperor isn't going to work and what if he turns out to be infertile or no-one will marry him or gay or dies young? Things will change in the future, the survival of the Imperial Family is balanced too precariously.

Far from Akishino been seen as the 'black sheep' of the family, by conservative monarchists he's been seen as the saviour, he and Kiko. Interesting comment by a Japanese poster in one of the threads about the popularity of the Akishino family, there are numerous Japanese fan sites for them. Among the things they are admired for is saving the succession and their dutiful daughters.

The timing of Hisahito's birth couldn't have been deliberately timed, Akishino and Kiko were under pressure to produce a third child from 2002. There are statements from the Chief Steward of the IHA at the time saying he wanted the CP couple to try for a 2nd child and Akishino and Kiko to try for a 3rd. Regardless whether it was a natural conception or IVF as the conspiracy theorists like to point out it took time for Kiko to conceive. They were being 'good' and dutiful and fulfilled their obligations as members of the Imperial Family there's nothing underhanded or going for the one upmanship in it. Their life will get more restrictive not less once they become heirs to Naruhito and Masako, they were better off before.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1
Even in the present day arranged marriages are quite common in Japan amongst ordinary people particularly once both males and females start hitting their late 30's. There's a chance that Sayako's marriage was arranged as she was 35 and unmarried. Akishino played the matchmaker, Yoshiki Kuroda was a university friend of his, the right age and unmarried. Akishino provided the place for them to meet then it was up to the 2 of them to decide if they would continue meeting. That's the way the Japanese matching making happens, if the couple decide they have nothing in common after meeting they go their separate ways. Sayako was given the freedom to find her own partner but obviously didn't, arrived at the age of 35 and decided to go the match making route.

The Japanese are considering alternatives to the succession, but it doesn't make for sensational storylines to read rational comments. The pragmatists have already stated that Hisahito's birth hasn't solved the problem of succession in the Imperial Family it's only delayed it. People are realistic and know that a solitary Emperor isn't going to work and what if he turns out to be infertile or no-one will marry him or gay or dies young? Things will change in the future, the survival of the Imperial Family is balanced too precariously.

Far from Akishino been seen as the 'black sheep' of the family, by conservative monarchists he's been seen as the saviour, he and Kiko. Interesting comment by a Japanese poster in one of the threads about the popularity of the Akishino family, there are numerous Japanese fan sites for them. Among the things they are admired for is saving the succession and their dutiful daughters.

The timing of Hisahito's birth couldn't have been deliberately timed, Akishino and Kiko were under pressure to produce a third child from 2002. There are statements from the Chief Steward of the IHA at the time saying he wanted the CP couple to try for a 2nd child and Akishino and Kiko to try for a 3rd. Regardless whether it was a natural conception or IVF as the conspiracy theorists like to point out it took time for Kiko to conceive. They were being 'good' and dutiful and fulfilled their obligations as members of the Imperial Family there's nothing underhanded or going for the one upmanship in it. Their life will get more restrictive not less once they become heirs to Naruhito and Masako, they were better off before.
Thats fine with me, that Sayako decided on this route for marriage. It her choice.

But seriously, dont you think it is a little odd that Hisahito was born with such a big gap in years between he and his sisters? It cant be that difficult to concieve that it takes well over a decade. (I know full well about human biology, so there is no need to point that out.) And yes, I know that they were being "dutiful" and being the "saviour" of the family, and they would know that "their lives would be more restrictive not less once they become the heirs to Naruhito and Masako" why would they want to go through with it when armed with that knowlege? That is they want to please Their parents, The Emperor and Empress, or traditionalists.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:

Good points.

And thank you for the info about Princess Aiko having a history of mental problems in both sides of her family...Are you sure you mean "Princess Aiko", or did you want to said "Princess Masako"? In any case, I'm surprised. I didn't know this.

Vanesa.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Thats fine with me, that Sayako decided on this route for marriage. It her choice.

But seriously, dont you think it is a little odd that Hisahito was born with such a big gap in years between he and his sisters? It cant be that difficult to concieve that it takes well over a decade. (I know full well about human biology, so there is no need to point that out.) And yes, I know that they were being "dutiful" and being the "saviour" of the family, and they would know that "their lives would be more restrictive not less once they become the heirs to Naruhito and Masako" why would they want to go through with it when armed with that knowlege? That is they want to please Their parents, The Emperor and Empress, or traditionalists.
No; it's not odd that Prince Hisahito has born with such "big gap" in year between he and his siters. I have a case in my own family (who is not Royal, of course! ) and know others. One of my in laws aunty, had TWENTY years old when her twin brothers José and Alberto were born...An accident? Their parents claimed that it was what it happened. They wouldn't excpect to have more children, since they were ready to have grandchildren...In fact, José and Alfredo are now two years older than their eldest nephew! Another case I knows was the one of a teacher of mine from High School. Her parents called them "the mistake". She already had four older brothers and sisters, and when they parents are preparing themselves to marry the eldest of his children (Julio, who has 21 years old at the time), their last daughter was born. The littlest of "the first volley of children", Elizabeth, had 15...A good gap...isn't it? In these two cases, the gap is biggest than in the Princesses Kako and Mako and their little brother. Then, I know a very close case in my own family where the gap is not so big: my mother is seven years older than her sister (with any other sibling being born in the middle) , and my two cousins, Enrique and Adriana has exactly EIGHT years between the two.

At the other hand...What if Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko wanted to search a boy for them? All families wants to have mixed children, boys and girls and they already have two girls. If they could have this baby boy, and in view of Japan laws, he is now the Heir of the Throne, this is not our bussiness. And if the Emperor asked them to try to have another baby in order of assuring the dinasty and they did it, this is not our bussiness either. Good for them.

I will never be like those people who doesn't like Prince Hisahito only for he is "the mean boy" who comes just to stea the throne to poor Princess Aiko. Both of them are cousins and it is better for them to be friends and to love each other, as members of the same family.

Happy Easter for all of you.
Vanesa.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Good points.

And thank you for the info about Princess Aiko having a history of mental problems in both sides of her family...Are you sure you mean "Princess Aiko", or did you want to said "Princess Masako"? In any case, I'm surprised. I didn't know this.

Vanesa.
I meant the Princess Aiko. And I was merely pointing out that both her grandmother, and mother have suffered some kind of breakdown. If I knew something about the family history other than that, I wouldn't say anything because those kind of things are private. But, in this circumstance both parties involved the Crown Princess/and the Empress's problems are well known facts.

It could totally be the stress of the situation, and being born into the situation may help..But, well I'm just saying that who knows the heaps of stress that will be put on Aiko if she becomes empress.

Someone on another board said the Emperor and Empress have a heavy workload. (Something like a 1,000 engagments year even now) and well that's huge when you consider both of their ages. Apparently, very early on their was a huge load placed on the Emperor and his wife, because well they were considered the unsoiled face of the country of Japan. So there was heaps of pressure put on them as Crown Prince and Princess.. And royal engagments.

Someone said it was these factors which are why the current Crown Prince's siblings were none to thrilled with the Crown Prince's statements, and are perhaps not as sympathetic to his wife. Because their mother had to put up with all of it, and she grinned and beared it. People may complain about Kiko doing more work, but honestly given how old the emperor and the empress are, probably someone need to take a load off both of their shoulders. The second son, Ashkino has mentioned several times that he's worried about his Dad's workload. IF I was this concerned, and then I had another spouse complaining about well how the IHA was treating his wife and not letting her out enough, trust me I might be quite a bit annoyed.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
No it's not odd, they were doing their duty. As members of the Imperial Family they had an obligation to try again. "Giri" (obligation) is a very important concept in Japanese society. Japanese have 'giri' marriage, obligation marriage to marry into a family that would care for aged parents, on Valentine's Day women give 'giri chokoreto' obligation chocolate to all their male workmates, regardless if they really want to give them chocolates or not. Women who marry into traditional families know the importance of 'giri' and I'm talking non-royal families here not the Imperial Family. They would also have to do their duty to ensure a male heir.
Westerners don't have the same sense of obligation or doing one's duty so it can be difficult to understand. Westerner society is a far more individual society and the individual is important, Japanese society the individual is not important the collective is. In this case the collective is the Imperial Family and their survival through the male line. That's why they went through with it, even armed with the knowledge that their lives would become more difficult. Their individual needs are not as important as the collective survival of tradition through an unbroken male line.

The Japanese poster that posted in one of the thread wrote that the Akishino family is admired for among other things 'their dutiful daughters'. That would be an extremely unusual thing for a westerner to state much less admire.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Visiting Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (L) shakes hands with Japanese Emperor Akihito in Tokyo, capital of Japan on April 12, 2007

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1
No it's not odd, they were doing their duty. As members of the Imperial Family they had an obligation to try again. "Giri" (obligation) is a very important concept in Japanese society. Japanese have 'giri' marriage, obligation marriage to marry into a family that would care for aged parents, on Valentine's Day women give 'giri chokoreto' obligation chocolate to all their male workmates, regardless if they really want to give them chocolates or not. Women who marry into traditional families know the importance of 'giri' and I'm talking non-royal families here not the Imperial Family. They would also have to do their duty to ensure a male heir.
Westerners don't have the same sense of obligation or doing one's duty so it can be difficult to understand. Westerner society is a far more individual society and the individual is important, Japanese society the individual is not important the collective is. In this case the collective is the Imperial Family and their survival through the male line. That's why they went through with it, even armed with the knowledge that their lives would become more difficult. Their individual needs are not as important as the collective survival of tradition through an unbroken male line.

The Japanese poster that posted in one of the thread wrote that the Akishino family is admired for among other things 'their dutiful daughters'. That would be an extremely unusual thing for a westerner to state much less admire.
I think you made very important points here, Charlotte1. Your pot is very instructive and resumes very well the current situation in Japan today. And it is not our affair Westerns to judge a different culture and much less to say that "it must change" for "it's unbearable" or "impossible" that in a modren world...blah,blah, blah.

Happily Japan is Japan, and every country is every country. Difference is the most wonderful thing there is in this world. Difference of culture, food, dresses, music...Uniformization is sooo boring!

And yes, here in the West individualism became important after French Revolution in a way that began to increase, and notabily much more after WWII. Now, people does exactly what they wants. But now, we are alone. There is no social net. You are one in a crowd and you can be as free as an animal inthe desert...But what is supposed to do an animal in the desert but die? There is no duty; only "freedom" and selfishness.

I'm not saying that I'd rather like Japanese culture than ours. But certainly I should like to have a more collective sense of life without neglecting one self developpement. One person who saids me that he/she , really cares about his/her family, country and friends, really makes me melt away and admire them! Sometimes we just CAN'T do everything we wants to do. Some duties are before our wishes...and if collective duty doesn't push us to accomplish these, our consciences surely will do!

Vanesa.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

In this photo released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan, Japanese Emperor Akihito sows rice seeds in the compound of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo Thursday, April 12, 2007. Grown rice will be cropped by the emperor and offered in the annual imperial thanksgiving rites at the palace in November. (AP Photo/The Imperial Household Agency of Japan, HO)

From Yahoo
Old 04-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

What a nice picture Mandyy. Emperor's Akihito looks very good for the age he has...Does someone knows some news about the Empress?

Vanesa.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Empress Michiko recovers

Japan Today - News - Empress Michiko recovers

Emperor Akihito makes congratulatory remarks to laureates, Albert Fert, of France, Peter Grunberg, of Germany and Peter Shaw Ashton, of Britain, at the Japan Prize presentation ceremony in Tokyo Thursday, April 19, 2007. The Japan Prize is presented to original and outstanding achievements in science and technology annually

Japan's Royal Family on Yahoo! News Photos
Old 04-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Aristocracy

Just another article on Empress Michiko's health.

Empress is healthy again: palace | The Japan Times Online
Old 04-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Thank you, Dragonsfire...I'm happy the Empress is improving these last days...But I'm sincerily suprpised to learn that stress and fatigue could cause intestine and nose bleeding, and ulcers in the mouth!

Vanesa.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thank you, Dragonsfire...I'm happy the Empress is improving these last days...But I'm sincerily suprpised to learn that stress and fatigue could cause intestine and nose bleeding, and ulcers in the mouth!

Vanesa.
Me too, I'm happy to hear that she is improving lately. I'm also a little confused on how a person can intestine and nose bleeding and ulcers in the mouth just because of stress and fatigue. Anybody have any medical or other insight to this? Is it possible for this to happen?

Tags
emperor akihito, empress michiko