The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

What a lovely photo (number 3 in post 59):

Japan's Royal Family on Yahoo! News Photos

But doesn't she look desperately sad?

Thanks for that set of photos, mandyy.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 AM
Aristocracy
Picture of the Month Representative – Japan

*~SIGH~* The things the IHA would do to get what they want......its Empress Michiko and Crown Princess Masako who become victims for some stupidly, rather ridiculous, ancient traditions that have no place in this day in age. Not saying all traditions are all bad or should be got rid of. Sad really. Personally, I would not want to put myself into that kind of situation if I had the choice.....then again.....its not like they had choice....

Old 03-09-2007, 04:23 AM
Aristocracy

Just another article about Empress Michiko's health.

Japan's emperor, empress should work less - agency
Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

The subtext there being, I expect, that despite what Ben Hills's book might have said or implied, the Emperor and Empress have very tough schedules whereas Masako is pretty much just a freeloader and needs to get out and contribute more.

They aren't going to help matters if they push Masako right back into a state of collapse by pretending that she's responsible, directly or indirectly, for the Empress's problems.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The subtext there being, I expect, that despite what Ben Hills's book might have said or implied, the Emperor and Empress have very tough schedules whereas Masako is pretty much just a freeloader and needs to get out and contribute more.

They aren't going to help matters if they push Masako right back into a state of collapse by pretending that she's responsible, directly or indirectly, for the Empress's problems.
Who can trust little men in grey suits? Are they being truthful about the Empress's condition? Remember, a professional makeup artist can transform anyone into a fragile old woman. With both Michiko and Masako sidelined, Kiko will no doubt take over the Empress's official duties thereby giving her the edge on becoming the next first lady as the crown couple gets pushed further out of the limelight.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

In this photo released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan, Bolivian President Evo Marales, right, speaks with Japanese Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo Thursday, March 8, 2007.

Photos from AP via Yahoo

Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko wait for Georgia's President Mikheil Saakashvili to arrive at the palace in Tokyo March 9, 2007. Japan's emperor and empress should be freed of some of their official duties, the Imperial Household Agency said, after Empress Michiko was found to be suffering from what appears to be a stress-related illness.

Photos from Reuters and Ap via Yahoo

Close ups of the Empress from the photos above
Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Aristocracy

My Gods....she looks so weak....how can she go on like this? I really admire her for having the strength to show up in public despite her own physical condition and her so-called "psychological" condition.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Japan's empress said suffering stress
It's not easy being a woman in Japan's royal family. Four years after Crown Princess Masako dropped most of her official duties to recover from what officials say is a form of depression brought about by the pressures of adjusting to life in the palace, Empress Michiko is now suffering from a wide array of symptoms stemming from severe stress.
Officials announced last week that Michiko, 72, is canceling her schedule for the time being to recover from intestinal bleeding, nose bleeds and mouth ulcers. She had been feeling ill since catching a cold last month, the palace said.
The empress' illness highlights the pressures and secrecy surrounding Japan's royal family, which is believed to be the oldest in the world but has fallen on hard times in recent years because of a succession crisis and, more recently, some bad press.
"It is believed that the empress is suffering from symptoms related to psychological stress," said Ichiro Kanazawa, the palace's chief medical supervisor. Officials said they believed recent coverage of the royal family might be to blame........
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/...heavy_crowns_1

In this photo released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan, Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, right, speaks with Japanese Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo Monday, March 12, 2007. Johnson-Sirleaf is on a four-day visit to Japan.

1 (AP Photo/The Imperial Household Agency of Japan, HO)
Another photo from JIJI press
Old 03-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Aristocracy

I hope the Empress will get better soon. I don't know how do they live their life in the palace but it seems that they (Empress and Masako) have a hard time.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Article from the BBC about the Empress's stress-related problems, Princess Masako's problems, and the IHA. Not very encouraging reading.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6441325.stm
Old 03-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Aristocracy

Emperor Akihito received Bolivian Pres.Evo Morales

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7351...ACBC8372B7DC9A

the Emperor and Empress received Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili and his wife.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7352...F30ABBBC1404F0

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7353...FE08B8FB55274A

Emperor Akihito received Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7354...F33A2929DAE068
Old 03-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Emperor and Empress giving an audience to Sri Lanka's Parliment speaker at the Imperial Palace on March 14, 2007.

Photo from Mainichi news
Old 03-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Aristocracy

Anyone knows how the Empress is doing now? Any news on her health, improvement/developments or is she still on her break?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Aristocracy

Anyone knows how the Empress is doing now? Any news on her health, improvement/developments or is she still on her break?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko smiles as they are greeted by employees upon their arrival at the imperial farm in Takanezawa, north of Tokyo, Thursday, March, 29, 2007. They will stay at the farm with the family of their second son Prince Akishino.

Photos from AP via Yahoo

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Visit to Japan of His Excellency Mr. Wen Jiabao Premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China

March 27, 2007

His Excellency Mr. Wen Jiabao, Premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China, will pay an Official Visit to Japan from April 11 to 13, 2007.
During his stay in Japan, the Premier of the State Council will be received in audience by His Majesty the Emperor of Japan.
Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, will hold a meeting with the Premier of the State Council.
The Government of Japan sincerely welcomes the visit of the Premier of the State Council, which will further strengthen the friendly relationship between Japan and the People's Republic of China.

from MOFA
Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I hope the Empress will be better. She looks so weak and little! I always admired her and it's sad to see her in such condition...

This said, I must add I'm a little surprised not to find a single line about the three earthquakes Japan suffered about these last days. There was even mortal victims. Did the Emperor performs something special for the surviving victims?

Vanesa.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
Who can trust little men in grey suits? Are they being truthful about the Empress's condition? Remember, a professional makeup artist can transform anyone into a fragile old woman. With both Michiko and Masako sidelined, Kiko will no doubt take over the Empress's official duties thereby giving her the edge on becoming the next first lady as the crown couple gets pushed further out of the limelight.
Hey, this isn't Kiko or her husband's fault. If Kiko is taking on more roles, its because quite clearly she's the only female member of the royal family that can actually handle them..IF Masako wanted the limelight, I'm sure she would be doing more imperial duties. If anything, I have a feeling that Kiko's steadness is a relief in the royal family..
And if I recall correctly many members of the royal family were quite mad at the Crown Prince's statements about his wife. His sister made a comment about how their mother had gone through quite a lot of personal pain herself, implying that the crown prince's words were making it worse.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekalc
Hey, this isn't Kiko or her husband's fault. If Kiko is taking on more roles, its because quite clearly she's the only female member of the royal family that can actually handle them..IF Masako wanted the limelight, I'm sure she would be doing more imperial duties. If anything, I have a feeling that Kiko's steadness is a relief in the royal family..
And if I recall correctly many members of the royal family were quite mad at the Crown Prince's statements about his wife. His sister made a comment about how their mother had gone through quite a lot of personal pain herself, implying that the crown prince's words were making it worse.
He knows that his mother had suffered (probably still is) in the past, perhaps he was trying to prevent Masako from having to go through that. Learn from the past, and improve upon it. Perhaps he is trying to correct some mistake from the past or try to prevent one from taking place based on the information from the past. History is a very useful thing. There is always another side to the story you know.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

It is probable that the Emperor and the Empress wants to avoid Princess Masako suffer from more stress troubles. She is just improving a severe stress episode, so is good for her to rest a little. As for Princess Kiko, I'm happy she could demonstrate how could she help the whole family with her attitude...And I can't said I aprove the Crownprince's statesment about his wife. They were at unworthy, to said the least!

Vanesa.

P.S: No earthquake news? How strange...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Majesty

That's just it, they haven't learnt from their past mistakes. Empress Michiko suffered an adjustment syndrome when she was crown princess and when the same thing happened to Princess Masako it took them over two years to do anything constructive about it. And no, Akishino never supported his brother Naruhito nor his sister-in-law Masako because he was too busy trying to push them out of favour while ingratiating himself with IHA.

Closed Thread

Tags
emperor akihito, empress michiko