The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the photos and videos, Artemisia! I was just starting to look for photos via Google when I found that you had already put them here.

The patience and inner strength of the Japanese people are indeed admirable. However, everything has its time and place. There have been reports about the crisis management not only having been slow but half-hearted and ineffectual even from a long-term perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaraC View Post
The Imperial Household Agency released five 31-syllable "waka" poems Sunday written by Emperor Akihito and three by Empress Michiko. [...]

Thinking of the people in temporary housing
(Emperor Akihito)
'Tis cold once again
In the afflicted regions
My heart goes out to
The people facing winter
In temporary housing

I think this poem is quite remarkable given the fact that there ARE people in Japan who believe that the living circumstances of the earthquake victims might have been a lot better IF their wellbeing had been given the high priority it deserves. But, unfortunately, as the BBC reported, the Japanese tsunami fund was 'used for a whaling programme'. The Japan Times wrote:
Quote:
Consider the Tohoku disaster victims. What they really need is assistance both physical and financial, and coordinated action by the authorities to help them reconstruct their lives in a place of their choosing.

Instead, look what they're getting: A government paralyzed by sloth, doling out underwhelming aid. A Parliament gridlocked by political party games. An ongoing nuclear situation whose resolution depends on a profoundly corrupt system more interested in controlling the flow of bad news to the public than in dealing with the problem in a trustworthy and forthright manner.
Reading the emperor´s poems, one might conclude that neither he gives the blame solely to nature´s powers for what his people have to suffer.
Like the Japan Times put it: Maybe Japan needs less ganbatte and more genuine action.
Quote:
Ganbatte kudasai! You hear this expression every day in Japan. "Do your best!" "Try harder!" "Stick to it!" "Don't give up!" are but a few of the positive messages conveyed. It offered succor 25 years ago when I was in university bushwhacking through the Japanese language: One "ganbatte!" from Sensei emboldened me for the rest of the week.

However, recent events have exposed a problem with ganbatte. It's gone beyond being a harmless old saw, platitude or banality. It's become at best a sop, at worst a destructive mantra or shibboleth. It creates a downward cycle into apathy in the speaker, indifference in the afflicted.
I hope the Japanese people will never stop to set an impressing example of patience and endurance to the world.
But I also hope that they will not allow their political and economical elite to use those outstanding qualities against the interests of the whole nation. Protest and the resolution to face opposition may sometimes serve to save more lives than patience.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Among the survivors who spoke, Hiromi Kawaguchi of Iwate Prefecture lost his mother, wife and 4-year-old grandson. His family had celebrated his grandson's birthday just a month before the quake and tsunami.

"They say it was a natural disaster, but when I remember that day, tears well up in my eyes and I think that neither God nor the Buddha exist in this world," Kawaguchi said. "But we can't continue just being sad. . . . Although it may take time, I vow to the spirits of the deceased that we will move forward one step at a time toward reconstructing our hometown."

From Miyagi Prefecture was Eriko Okuda, whose parents and two children, including her son who had just gotten married and was expecting his first child, were killed in the tsunami. She recalled the anger, sadness and despair she felt after losing almost everyone in her family.

But there was one sign of hope — her daughter-in-law survived and gave birth last July.

"I don't think the sadness of losing loved ones will ever go away as long as you continue loving them. The bereaved families have no choice but to live with it for the rest of their lives," Okuda said.
"That is why we need to become stronger. . . . I found the light of hope in despair — my grandchild's growth has become my hope to live."
Japan Times

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperor´s statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's hard to believe it's already been a year since the disaster.

The Emperor looked frail, but very dignified.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
A year after the tsunami, Emperor Akihito urged the Japanese to continue helping each other
Un año después del tsunami,*el emperador Akihito insta a los japoneses | Realeza | Noticias hola.com

Google Google Translate
Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It's hard to believe it's already been a year since the disaster.

The Emperor looked frail, but very dignified.
I agree about the Emperor, but when I watched the ceremony last night I actually thought the Empress looked even frailer.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Now that you mention it, the Empress did look quite frail.

A very moving video, including a fragment of the Emperor's speech.
A nation stands still: Japan mourns one year on from earthquake which devastated country and caused nuclear meltdown
Quote:
With a moment of silence, prayers and anti-nuclear rallies, Japan today marks one year since an earthquake and tsunami killed thousands and set off a radiation crisis that shattered public trust in atomic power and the nation's leaders.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Japan anniversary: 'We shall never forget', says Emperor

BBC video of the emperor´s complete speech with English translation, along with pictures of the disaster as well as of various memorial ceremonies that took place all over Japan.

Very touching.

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperor´s statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Japan commemorates the first anniversary of its devastating earthquake and tsunami
Japan - 11.03.12
WENN Photo Library - Search Results
Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Japan's Emperor returns to seclusion after tsunami memorial service
Japan tsunami: Emperor Akihito attends memorial service - hellomagazine.com
Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Japanese Emperor Akihito to undergo fluid removal from chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Fluids in the lungs is never good.
Depending of course on how much fluid there is and how irritating it is.

It reduces your lung capacity, and if you have to cough up fluid, which you inevitable will, it's also very tiring. It affects your sleep as well.
For a man who is old and already weakened by cancer and the recent operation it's extra serious.
There is also the added risk of developing a severe pneumonia. - And that's a major killer among older people.

I don't know the overall health of the Emperor. He is probably in pretty good health for his age. However even for much younger people the best cure, when having fluids in your lungs, is to take it slow and let the body take the time it needs to deal with it and let the medication take effect.

That the Emperor go public to deliver a speech, even if it's only for twenty minuttes, is a testament to his dedication, but wise? - I don't think so.
Unfortunately, you seem to be perfectly right.

Quote:
Japanese Emperor Akihito, who underwent heart bypass surgery in February, will have fluid extracted from his chest for the second time, the palace said Monday.

The treatment will be conducted at the Imperial Household Hospital in the palace grounds on Tuesday morning, the agency said, DPA reported.
Trend

In the German press they say that it is very doubtful if the emperor will be able to travel to England in May for the Queen´s jubilee, as planned.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I would actually be surprised if he ever intended to be in London for the Jubilee.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

The German media say that the visit to GB has been planned a long time ago already and that the emperor is very much looking forward to it (here, for example).

Not that I would always rely on the German press for absolutely correct information about the imperial family, mind you. The Japanese royals are definitely not high up on the priority list here and there are few German experts on Japan´s monarchy. I do not think that it is very probable that German journalists would bother to invent an engagement of the emperor´s, but a misunderstanding would, of course, be always possible.

We will probably soon get more information.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaraC View Post
The German media say that the visit to GB has been planned a long time ago already and that the emperor is very much looking forward to it (here, for example).

Not that I would always rely on the German press for absolutely correct information about the imperial family, mind you. The Japanese royals are definitely not high up on the priority list here and there are few German experts on Japan´s monarchy. I do not think that it is very probable that German journalists would bother to invent an engagement of the emperor´s, but a misunderstanding would, of course, be always possible.

We will probably soon get more information.
There are no German experts on the Japanese Monarchy,first.Second,German rags would actually make up any story about anything,including a non-existent visit to Elizabeth this may.If it's not in de Sud Deutsche or Frankfurter Algemeine you can use it straight for the cat litter.Third,what priority list?Some made up nonsense by whom.Japan is an important trade partner in any which way and no forum member,however cute,can nor will change that,ever.
And you did say that,denying that would earn you a seat in the Reichstag with Angela....grin...

No,no need to reply but check and double-check before you post any of this sort of no news.Thank you.Vielen Dank.And I stick with this regardless the rants.There IS nothing really worthwhile in the german press except the papers I mentioned above.A few good talkshows on like Maybritt Illner and Markus Lanz and that's that.The rest is highly overestimated.

Now,back to real life.

TM will receive a State Visit to Kuwait today.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Is this meant to be part of a serious conversation? If so, please give me a source for this statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
There are no German experts on the Japanese Monarchy,first.
Quote:
Second,German rags would actually make up any story about anything,including a non-existent visit to Elizabeth this may.If it's not in de Sud Deutsche or Frankfurter Algemeine you can use it straight for the cat litter.
Does that mean that you think that all German newspapers with the single exceptions of the Süddeutsche Zeitung and the Frankfurter Allgemeine are yellow press? If so, you hardly prove yourself an expert on German media.
Quote:
Third,what priority list?Some made up nonsense by whom.Japan is an important trade partner in any which way and no forum member,however cute,can nor will change that,ever.
I have not said that Japan is not high on the priority list of the German media, I have been explicitly talking about the Japanese monarchy. I doubt that any German member of this forum would disagree with me in this point. But if they should, I´d be very much interested in the details of their opinion.
Quote:
TM will start a State Visit to Kuwait today.
Which "real-life" information did you intend to convey by this sentence? Whom do you mean by TM? Their majesties the emperor and empress?
The Emir of Kuwait is presently on a visit to Japan, if it is this you wanted to say.
Quote:
The Emperor is scheduled to meet Wednesday with Kuwait ruler Sheik Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah at the Imperial Palace, while Crown Prince Naruhito will host a welcoming ceremony and a banquet for the Kuwaiti ruler later in the day on behalf of the Emperor.
Japan Times

No need to answer if this was NOT meant as a serious contribution to the discussion, just as some sort of venting on a bad day.
But in this case, I´d strongly request you to next time vent your spleen on somebody else. I am not available for that sort of need.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Emperor has fluid drained from chest again

Quote:
Emperor Akihito underwent treatment Tuesday to drain fluid from his chest for a second time due to complications following heart surgery last month, the Imperial Household Agency said. The procedure performed at the Imperial Household Hospital in the morning followed similar treatment March 7.

The Emperor has been experiencing shortness of breath during rehabilitation since he was discharged March 4 from University of Tokyo Hospital, where he underwent surgery Feb. 18.
Japan Times

Quote:
The emperor underwent a similar treatment on March 7, having fluids extracted from the right of his chest. Despite the procedure, he has suffered shortness of breath during exercises, apparently due to fluids remaining in the left of his chest, according to the agency.
Mainichi

Old 03-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

That's just to be expected and it will very likely happen again.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I am afraid you are right. Even more so as, like you have said before, the best thing with lung conditions is "to take it slow, let the body take the time it needs to deal with it and let the medication take effect". As it happens, that is exactly what the emperor refuses to do. Today, he received another treatment. Tomorrow, he will welcome a state
guest...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Commoner

How old is the Emperor exactly?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

He was born 23 December 1933, so he is 78.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Emperor, recuperating from chest treatment, meets Kuwaiti emir

Quote:
Emperor Akihito met visiting Kuwaiti ruler Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah at the imperial palace on Wednesday, just a day after having fluid extracted from his chest for the second time following his heart bypass surgery in February.

The emperor, accompanied by his wife Empress Michiko, thanked the emir for wishing him a quick recovery, according to the Imperial Household Agency. After the audience, Emperor Akihito left for the Imperial Household Hospital for a checkup on his chest condition.
The Mainichi Daily News

Closed Thread

Tags
emperor akihito, empress michiko