The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko will visit Miyagi Prefecture, one of the areas worst hit by the catastrophic March 11 earthquake-tsunami disaster, on April 28th, 2011, to meet evacuees, the IHA said Tuesday.
The Imperial Couple will also visit Iwate Prefecture on May 2 and Fukushima Prefecture on May 11, two other areas in the Tohoku region hit hard by the twin disasters.
On April 28th, 2011, the Emperor and Empress will visit an evacuation center in a junior high school in Minamisanriku and a shelter in a gymnasium in Sendai, traveling from Tokyo via a Self-Defense Forces aircraft and helicopter. - Japan Today

Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

HM the Emperor ate fish caught near Fukushima plant

To reassure the world and his people Emperor Akihito ate fish from the waters near the stricken nuclear power-station.
The Emperor,77, and his wife Michiko, 76, ate fried conger eels and flounders. They were caught by fishermen at Kitaibaraki which is about 40 miles away from the nuclear plant.

Fishermen told the major of the town they were concerned their fishing industry could be destroyed for fear over pollution. - Allvoices

Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Given the fears about possible radiation contamination of vegetables/fruit and seafood, it is truly impressive that His Imperial Majesty does his best to support local farmers and fishermen.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko talk with a Japanese soldier and a fire
volunteer to express their gratitude for their contribution at the tsunami
devastated area in Minamisanriku, Miyagi Prefecture, on April 27, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** daylife gallery **
Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Gentry

Japan imperial couple visit

The Emperor and Empress both have been visiting shelters. Yesterday at the end when they were leaving a person said "ARIGATOU" Thank you and the word echoed all over the shelter and at the end the people were applauding. I cried, not for sorrow but with thinking about how people were getting encouragement and comfort. Both Emperor and Empress are worrying and caring so much about the people. I am very grateful and wish they will live long life with happiness as well. There are something very mutual, sharing, respecting and caring about this. One of lady brought narcissus from her destroyed home yet the flower bloomed and give it to the Empress. I don't know if the lady remembered about the narcissus that the Empress brought to the KOUBE earthquake place. But I know so many people remembered about that. And I am so sure the Empress remembered about that too and to received the small bouquet from the victim herself must mean so much to her. Prince and Princess Akishino also have been visiting shelters and giving the comfort to the people.

Here is the English article I just saw.

Japan imperial couple offers solace to disaster survivors | Reuters

By Reuters
Old 04-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Gentry

Video about the narcissus

I found the video about the narcissus I wrote, so I wish to share this, here it is.

The lady said "amazing everything is gone but the flowers were under the ground at the time of Tsunami so now it's blooming, how strong it is...we will try too"
Old 05-02-2011, 03:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for this very special thread .... the flowers ... the caring....

Words fail me...
Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Thank you for all your posts, Mariko. I love the Japanese royal family.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

A planned visit by Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko to areas in Iwate Prefecture worst hit by the devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami has been postponed until Friday by bad weather, the Imperial Household Agency said. - Japan Times
Old 05-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Japan imperial couple offers solace to disaster survivors | Reuters
Old 05-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko visited an area which was devastated by the March 11
earthquake and tsunami in Soma, Fukushima prefecture, about 50 km from the crippled
Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, May 11, 2011.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I know that this is a very superficial remark, but I love the Empress's outfit here. It's rare to see her in trousers.

Good for them to make this visit, especially so close to the radiation area. It must be draining on these elderly people to see so much destruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Old 05-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Address by His Majesty the Emperor on May 18th, 2011

Address by His Majesty the Emperor at the audience of the junior high school principals attending the General Assembly of the All Japan Junior High School Principals' Association (May 18, 2011)

It gives me great pleasure to meet all of you, the representatives of those attending the General Assembly of the All Japan Junior High School Principals' Association held in Tokyo.
As this meeting was held not long after the Great East Japan Earthquake, I am certain various aspects of the recent disaster were discussed. My heart goes out to the principals, teachers and pupils of the junior high schools in the afflicted regions who must all be facing such hardships. It is my fervent hope that everyone will help each other to overcome the challenges of these difficult times. I sincerely hope that what happened in this disaster will continue to be told in every educational institution, not only in the afflicted regions but in other areas as well, and that schools will provide a thorough education on natural disaster safety as Japan must always be prepared to face future natural disasters.
In the hope that you will continue to carry on the work for the education of children, who are the pillars of the future, so that they will grow soundly both in mind and body, as well as for the sound management of your respective schools, I would like to wish you good health and all the best.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the update!
It is great that Their Imperial Majesties visited the area affected by devastation and radiation. This engagement reassures people that the Imperial family stays in touch with the post-earthquake situation.
On a different note, I can not help noting that Empress Michiko has got an amazing skin and glowing complexion.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Extreme nationalism may emerge from the rubble of the quake | The Japan Times Online
The current disaster has made people much more aware of the emperor's existence.
The disasters in the past, World War II prominent among them, have inspired similarly consoling imperial poems. True, says Fujiwara: "Whenever Japan is at a low ebb, His Imperial Majesty is sure to make his presence felt."
"When the political process is paralyzed," says Sakurai, "as it was at the end of World War II and as it is now, the Imperial Palace, its existence preserved not by power but by moral authority and popular respect, fills the vacuum and deigns to rule. In all the world," she adds, "only Japan, I think, has this national trait."
Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the article!
Japan has earned all the praises because of the way it has been dealing with the post-earthquake situation. The Japanese Imperial family was an anchor during the times of ordeal.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

HM the Emperor Akihito planted rice at the rice paddies inside Imperial Place on 24th May, 2011.
The Showa Emperor started to promote rice cultivation and the ceremony has been done every year since then.
The rice grown by emperor will be used for Shintoism regiligious ceremonies held in fall.
**Pic** - credits Kyodo

TIM the Emperor Akihito and the Empress Michiko visited the facility of supporting child-raising in Tokyo on 25th May, 2011.
**Pic** - credits Kyodo
Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Thanks for the update!
It is great that Their Imperial Majesties visited the area affected by devastation and radiation. This engagement reassures people that the Imperial family stays in touch with the post-earthquake situation.
On a different note, I can not help noting that Empress Michiko has got an amazing skin and glowing complexion.
It's wonderful what the Emperor and his Empress are doing for their people.
(Especially when he has been unwell recently and has an excuse if he didn't wish to make such an effort! And his wife is right there supporting him.)

I don't understand why she is so often compared with CP Masako.
I know she once had a nervous breakdown, but that was many years ago. She has had no problems since; or, has she?
I have not heard of anything.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

The loss of voice was the first and last indication of stress then Crown Princess Michiko had. She addressed her issues in a private manner. Any comparisons between Her Imperial Majesty and Crown Princess Masako are bound to be flawed due to largely different circumstances.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:20 AM
Gentry

After 7 weeks of visiting the people in devastated area

After 7 weeks of visiting the people in devastated area and other engagements finally Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko are taking their quiet time with Prince and Princess Akishino and their son together at Hayama now.

I know how much they have been working by looking at the news. Wish they have a good rest and fun visit from their grand-son. Akishino family is staying just over night and Emperor and Empress are staying until 7th.

時事ドットコム:両陛下、葉山で静養=神奈川

Tags
emperor akihito, empress michiko